toldailytopic: Does your opinion about homosexuality change if the behavior turns out

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 16th, 2011 10:12 AM

toldailytopic: Does your opinion about homosexuality change if the behavior turns out to be genetic?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I already think our genetic makeup has an impact upon the likelihood of a particular set of feelings over another. But were it to be found that homosexuality were utterly determined by genetics and that there was no choice involved then I would still not change my opinion of it.

But be sure to note that one must always choose to act upon an urge, so I think the daily topic a little rhetorical for a change. ;)

genuineoriginal

toldailytopic: Does your opinion about homosexuality change if the behavior turns out to be genetic?
Nope.
Adultery is still a sin worthy of death because of the harm it does to the individuals, the families, and the societies where it is tolerated.
US scientists discovered Adultery Gene
Genes associated with sensation-seeking behaviors, such as drinking alcohol or gambling, may also be associated with sexual promiscuity and infidelity, according to a new study.
Oh yeah, same thing goes for acting on perverted homosexual desires.
:thumb:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Andy C is here. He'll be able to give us an expert opinion. :thumb:

;)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 16th, 2011 10:12 AM

No. People each have their weaknesses. Giving in to those weaknesses is sin. We should not be encouraging people to engage in self destructive patterns of behavior even if it is genetic. Homosexuality is a behavioral dysfunction even if you don't look at the sin aspect of it.

Let take a look at bipolar disorder which is genetic for comparison. It is a dysfunction that is treated today with assorted medications. Beethoven was said to have suffered with it. Untreated it can lead to overspending mood swings and wild behavior. It also leads to a reduced lifespan. Patients often die early do to excesses or heart attack. Fortunately the condition is recognized as a pathology and treated as such. The patients, thanks to treatment often do lead normal functional lives.

Homosexuality also has some serious medical consequences. Humans were not designed for it.

Our post modern culture has developed a blindness when it comes to homosexuality. Instead of trying to treat the sickness, they just let the person be sick. Sexual perversions are very hard to treat once a person gets snared in them. So not only are they a sin, they are a sickness too. Instead of condoning the behavior patterns, doctors should be looking for ways to treat it.

I will always take a dim view of any sexual perversion because God does. Yes, any sex outside of the marriage between a man and a woman is a perversion of what God intended. God take a dim view of anything that separates people from Him. Sin separates people from God.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Nope. I believe that, while everyone cannot control who they are attracted to, they can control how they act on that attraction.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No ... it wouldn't matter to me either way. Two disease-FREE consenting adults are at no risk to one another or society.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. Fallen man is subject and predisposed to all manner of corruption, genetics notwithstanding.

"My genes made me do it" will never be a suitable defense.

AMR