toldailytopic: Do you favor voter ID laws? Why or why not?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
You likely can't eliminate either fraud or abuse of a system, but we should make every effort to minimize both. LHs idea seems like a good place to start.

Well fraud and abuse is defined by the law. Is it perfect?...no. But neither am I blind.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Then if the woman thinks differently than her husband about the issues, too bad right?

Well, I think we all can agree that women can often be very silly, if we nip it in the bud.... problem solved.

As for the OP, there is no good reason an ID shouldn't be required.

yes I was joking on the first part :)

Alate_One

Why don't they give photo IDs [not licenses] out for free if they're going to require them to vote?

I agree. The only problem I have with voter ID laws is that not everyone has them, they're not easy for some people to get and the laws are being changed right before the election rather than well in advance.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 5th, 2012 08:40 AM

toldailytopic: Do you favor voter ID laws?

Yes, I do.

No, it's just a way for Republicans to decrease turnout.

The real fraud has been committed by Republican government officials. That's what the laws should address. But unfortunately the idiot tea party was put in power in 2010 and this is the result.

Why or why not?

I didn't know it,
but apparently it is because I am a racist :idunno:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I don't have any problem with it, so long as the ID was free, reliably allowed legal voters to vote ,kept non-citizens from voting, and was readily available even to people who don't have transportation.

But of course, that would defeat the purpose for which voter ID was intended.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree. The only problem I have with voter ID laws is that not everyone has them, they're not easy for some people to get and the laws are being changed right before the election rather than well in advance.

I do agree that, right before the election, is the wrong time to pass such a law. If only because it allows motive to be suspect.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't have any problem with it, so long as the ID was free, reliably allowed legal voters to vote ,kept non-citizens from voting, and was readily available even to people who don't have transportation.

But of course, that would defeat the purpose for which voter ID was intended.

I one or several politicians intended voter ID laws for that purpose, it doesn't change the fact that it is a common sense law to have in place.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As far as I know his wife agrees with him.

Why don't they give photo IDs [not licenses] out for free if they're going to require them to vote?

They do, but the complaint is that they might have to get a new birth certificate to get the ID and those cost money.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I one or several politicians intended voter ID laws for that purpose, it doesn't change the fact that it is a common sense law to have in place.

Given that the actual incidence of illegal voting is so rare, and that the people doing these laws have specifically drawn them up to make the IDs cost or hard to get, one draws the appropriate conclusion.

Texas just had such a law rejected by the courts; it was just a little too targeted against minorities.

The legislature has vowed to do a more subtle revision, but it looks as though it won't be in time for this election.

But if it's done in a way that doesn't disenfranchise people, I have no problem with it. There will never be such a law, I think.

Perhaps your more generous assessment of human nature is correct. I certainly hope so. But I'm inclined to look to history.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I like the idea, but want to be careful in implementation. When I read things like this:

It makes me worry about the potential for abuse. Because the photo IDs can be a bar to the poor voting. As per the article here, in Texas you would have to go to a government agency and pay twenty two dollars, be fingerprinted and produce a birth certificate to vote.

I'm for reducing voter fraud, not using the law to commit it. So we need to make the process fair for those who aren't in a position to pay for it. In my community we know one another. I'd bet a number of poor and elderly blacks couldn't produce either birth certificate nor have ever possessed driver's licenses. Is the point of the law to deny them the vote when we can attest to their identity? If the law allows for that it is an instrument of tyranny and not fairness and protection.

So that's a huge, "in principle, but how we do it makes all the difference" vote from me.

Ditto. :thumb:

OMEGA

It does not matter who wins the Election for President.

The USA Economy runs in Cycles and I say that the Job market

for the USA will INCREASE NEXT YEAR and

in 7 years it will be Much Healthier because

the Majority of the People have been Humbled and

have Humbled themselves before God and changed their Greedy Ways.

================================

Da 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers,

and the demand by the word of the holy ones:

to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in

the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and

setteth up over it the basest of men.
===============================

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Texas just had such a law rejected by the courts; it was just a little too targeted against minorities.

Or at least a judge became sold on the idea that it was targeted against minorities. I remain skeptical.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It does not matter who wins the Election for President.

The USA Economy runs in Cycles and I say that the Job market

for the USA will INCREASE NEXT YEAR and

in 7 years it will be Much Healthier because

the Majority of the People have been Humbled and

have Humbled themselves before God and changed their Greedy Ways.

================================

Isa 9:16 For the leaders of this people cause them to err;

and they that are led of them are destroyed.

You don't believe that politicians can do, and do things that stand in the way of economic recovery?

OMEGA

Delmar said,

You don't believe that politicians can do,

and do things that stand in the way of economic recovery?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

What is there left to do for an Economy that is 4 Trillion Dollars in Debt.

God Rules the world and allows man to Experience Many different Economies

and find out by FAILURE that only God's way works best.
--------------------

But do not Worry because the Bible says that the Economy will be Vibrant

just before Armageddon.

Read the Context for this Scripture Reference.....

Re 18:13 And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.
----------------------------------------------------

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Delmar said,

You don't believe that politicians can do,

and do things that stand in the way of economic recovery?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

What is there left to do for an Economy that is 4 Trillion Dollars in Debt.

God Rules the world and allows man to Experience Many different Economies

and find out by FAILURE that only God's way works best.
--------------------

But do not Worry because the Bible says that the Economy will be Vibrant

just before Armageddon.

Read the Context for this Scripture Reference.....

Re 18:13 And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.
----------------------------------------------------
I believe that the "stimulus package" slowed what should have been a relatively quick recovery and I believe that Obama wants to do more of the same. I wish that Obama had only jacked the debt up by an additional 4 trillion, by the way!