toldailytopic: Do you believe in fate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 5th, 2010 05:34 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Peripatetic

I believe in Providence. All events are determined -- nothing happens by 'chance' -- but since God is free, they are not absolutely necessary.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe in Providence. All events are determined -- nothing happens by 'chance' -- but since God is free, they are not absolutely necessary.
Curious, what you make of this verse...

Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. - Luke 10:31

WizardofOz

My thought and actions steer my "fate", but everything happens for a reason and helps me grow spiritually.

Good or bad...no regrets. It's all just a part of the process.

Last edited:

Quasar1011

2nd Chronicles 7:14
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

If all events are (pre)determined, then how do you explain God telling us that IF we do certain things, THEN He will respond accodringly?

The way I see it: God foresees outcomes, but He doesn't fix outcomes.

Cracked

Romans 8:28

I do think God works in our lives for our good. I do believe that God's grace is reaching out to all - influencing them and calling them "according to His purpose".

Is this fate? Divine providence?

Peripatetic

If all events are (pre)determined, then how do you explain God telling us that IF we do certain things, THEN He will respond accodringly?

God humors us, knowing that we ordinarily don't have the doctrine of Providence on our minds. Any other reading places God on the same or a similar intellectual level as man, which is absurd.

Peripatetic

Curious, what you make of this verse...

Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. - Luke 10:31

LOL.

'By chance' is a figure of speech. There are no metaphysical claims being made in this passage!

penofareadywriter

LOL.

'By chance' is a figure of speech. There are no metaphysical claims being made in this passage!

How about ...Ecclesiastes 9:11
I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.
:think:

MrRadish

I believe that what is going to happen is definitely going to happen. That might be fate or it might be history, it just depends where on the timeline you're standing.

Prolifeguyswife

I used to believe in fate. Then, when I met my husband, he pointed out that if everyone was fated to marry one particular person, what would happen if someone made a bad choice or screwed up? It would throw off the whole thing and everyone would marry the wrong person.

:sigh: He was so romantic back then. :sigh: (kidding)

It basically threw off my whole perception of praying for "the one" your whole life.

But I'm glad I know that we have free will now. It makes every decision that much better. Knowing that my kids obey and love me, not because they were always predestined to do so, but because they want to. Knowing that my husband loves me and is faithful because he wants to be, not because he's locked into a determined schedule...free will makes love real. I imagine it's similar for God. Knowing that we love him because we want to, not because it was predestined must be sweet to Him.

Quincy

"I'm a victim of coicumstances!"- Curly Howard
:chuckle:

Actually this pretty much somes up my opinion.

"I am a determinist. ...The real issue, so far as the will is concerned, is not whether we can do what we choose to do, but whether we can choose our own choice, whether the choice itself issues in accordance with law from some antecedent." - Brand Blanshard

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 5th, 2010 05:34 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Do you mean this?

Peripatetic

How about ...Ecclesiastes 9:11
I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.
:think:

It is communicating that things happen to people who least expect it. 'Chance' here should be taken as denoting ignorance or a lack of knowledge on our part. For example, the rich man thinks he's always be rich, but little does he know what is in store for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.