toldailytopic: Do you believe in fate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonrise

yes...

Psa 139:16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

Dena

Perhaps there are some things in life that are "fate" (as in, God made them happen) but for the most part I think we live a life of chance and coincidence. I guess this could go into theories of time, all things are possible until they happen, blah blah blah, but I'm not smart enough for that sort of debate.

Peripatetic

I used to believe in fate. Then, when I met my husband, he pointed out that if everyone was fated to marry one particular person, what would happen if someone made a bad choice or screwed up? It would throw off the whole thing and everyone would marry the wrong person.

Oh brother...

You should point out to your husband that if everyone was fated to marry one particular person they would, in fact and necessarily, marry that one particular person. (You couldn't 'screw up' your fate; it is what it is, your future set in stone in every way, and you would not have the freedom required to screw up and marry the wrong person.)

Which is not to say that fate is any more reasonable. But your husband's argument against it is one of the silliest things I've read on this board.

Memento Mori

Oh brother...

You should point out to your husband that if everyone was fated to marry one particular person they would, in fact and necessarily, marry that one particular person. (You couldn't 'screw up' your fate; it is what it is, your future set in stone in every way, and you would not have the freedom required to screw up and marry the wrong person.)

Which is not to say that fate is any more reasonable. But your husband's argument against it is one of the silliest things I've read on this board.

What's that saying? "So it goes"?

WomanlovesTX

Is it fate that we have laws? Laws are no doubt made to benefit someone, just not everyone. Plenty of examples of "change makers" in history who defied the laws and real change came about. Is it not fate that moves us forward? Does it take riots or Civil Wars to change our home country. Our world is being changed by involvement in any kind of war. I wanted to vote for the law to say "No War". Then I realized, "Oops, I guess that is when the Anti-Christ appears." Oh well. We are fated.

Prolifeguyswife

Oh brother...

I don't know, I thought it was kind of funny. :idunno:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Do you believe in fate?

I used to but not now.

But wait. Would that be considered a "twist" of fate? :think: