toldailytopic: Disaster preparedness plan: how prepared are you?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
My pipes are all wrapped. I'm on city water that doesn't depend on electricity (I just won't have hot water because I have an electric water heater.). And, I have a wood stove to heat the house with and cook on. If the power goes out, we just don't get into the fridge unless it's necessary.
Actually, your water dos depend on electricity. Most water treatment plants use a fair number of pumps to move water through the process. If the plant loses electricity it loses its ability to properly treat water. It may even lose the ability to maintain water pressure in the mains. Many variables here but be careful of counting on city water during an extended power outage.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, your water dos depend on electricity. Most water treatment plants use a fair number of pumps to move water through the process. If the plant loses electricity it loses its ability to properly treat water. It may even lose the ability to maintain water pressure in the mains. Many variables here but be careful of counting on city water during an extended power outage.

I knew that. But, the water company and plant are on a different electric server than I am. That's why I said I didn't need electricity to run my water. I was just talking about my house.

I lose power a minimum of five times a year due to downed trees (Girl Scout camp is in the woods across the street from me). In the last thirteen years, I've lost power for more than six hours three times. Once in the winter of 2002 (several trees went down during an ice storm), once in june about six years ago (a few substations went down at once), and when Ike went through here (a couple of substations went down and trees pulled lines down).

The longest I've gone without power was in 2002. We didn't have power for 4 days. The city three miles from me didn't lose power. But, everyone on my road did.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We stay out of the fridge too, but have found we need a really good cooler to keep things cold that we want to use during storm time.

You may have naturally cold weather and your temporary things may sty cool enough?

My outside chest freezer has about an inch of ice on the sides. So, we don't worry much about that, no matter what time of year. As to the fridge, my kitchen is cooler than the rest of the house. So, as long as I leave it alone, the fridge is fine.

exminister

I once owned a house that was heated by gas and no blower
the thermocouple generated enough electricity to operate the thermostat

except for the obvious dryness of the air it was the best heating system I have ever experienced

to address the dryness issue, I exhausted the dryer inside the house in the winter months
Any downside to doing that? Blowing lint? Seems just wrong, but I guess cuz I never heard of doing such a thing. Do you still do it?