toldailytopic: Did Jesus die for all men?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 9th, 2011 12:52 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Placed on the cross for all? Yes.
Did it cure all? No.

The brazen serpent was placed on the pole for all.
But only the ones who looked upon it were cured.

Numbers 21
(8) And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
(9) And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

John 3
(14) And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Joh 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Joh 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

World-kosmos In this context, I take this to mean all of its' inhabitants, the whoevers and the whosoevers.

Joh 1:12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

Tambora's verses are excellent! :thumb:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Jesus died for the sins of all who are willing to humble themselves and accept it. Belief is the key.

Placed on the cross for all? Yes.
Did it cure all? No.

The brazen serpent was placed on the pole for all.
But only the ones who looked upon it were cured.

Numbers 21
(8) And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
(9) And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

John 3
(14) And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

and believing in Him means doing all that He says...

OSAS is from the devil

He died for all men..

and women too...

:crackup:

actually this reminds me of something... How some in the R Catholic Church are (have been) trying to get inclusive language into ... readings from the Bible, etc... at Mass...

so far, i dont see much inclusive language..

i think that went by the same way as Women Should Be Able to Become Priests

that's about like saying that men should be allowed to become mothers...

God, when are you going to become PC and "compassionate"???? (SIGH)

geez.... :crackup:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All kinds of peoples, yes. Each and every one of all kinds of peoples, no. If the latter were true, all would be saved, but we know this to be false. The atonement was not an action of potentiality, but an efficacious action for all kinds of people given to our Lord, kept by Him, and never to be lost. "It is finished" does not mean, "It is almost finished". :squint:

To dig deeper:
Limited Atonement - Schwertley

AMR

ICameBack

Yes 1Jo 2:2

end thread

:) oh and yes you need to follow Christ but the question as phrased was answered definitively

ICameBack

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

All kinds of peoples, yes. Each and every one of all kinds of peoples, no. If the latter were true, all would be saved, but we know this to be false. The atonement was not an action of potentiality, but an efficacious action for all kinds of people given to our Lord, kept by Him, and never to be lost. "It is finished" does not mean, "It is almost finished". :squint:

To dig deeper:
Limited Atonement - Schwertley

AMR

AAAhhh but the question didn't ask who would be saved, only that He died for all men. I'm not disagreeing with you, just being a literalist.

Peace to you, brother

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He died for all men but not all will accept the free gift of the atonement.

Yep.

Romans 5

18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

The free gift is for all men, by only many are saved. They reject it.

Absolutely.

:up:

Son of Jack

As has been already been mentioned, 1 John 2:2 pretty much sums this one up.

Oh, and AMR, I'm going to have disagree with your line of reasoning. It doesn't follow that if Jesus died for all men then all would be saved. We are not saved by His death but reconciled (Romans 5:6-11). His death was the propitiation for our sins, and so our sins are not what separate us from God. It is the sin of unbelief. When faith comes, unbelief goes and life abides. We are saved by His life (Romans 5:10), and His life comes through the gift of the Spirit received by faith (Romans 8:2, 10-11; Galatians 3:14). Thus, the just shall live by faith (Romans 1:17).

Krsto

As has been already been mentioned, 1 John 2:2 pretty much sums this one up.

Oh, and AMR, I'm going to have disagree with your line of reasoning. It doesn't follow that if Jesus died for all men then all would be saved. We are not saved by His death but reconciled (Romans 5:6-11). His death was the propitiation for our sins, and so our sins are not what separate us from God. It is the sin of unbelief. When faith comes, unbelief goes and life abides. We are saved by His life (Romans 5:10), and His life comes through the gift of the Spirit received by faith (Romans 8:2, 10-11; Galatians 3:14). Thus, the just shall live by faith (Romans 1:17).

You need to read AMR's post again.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
No, Jesus Christ died only for those the Father gave Him to redeem.

Salvation is not dependent upon the will of the sinner, but upon the will and works of God, alone.

Nang

Son of Jack

You need to read AMR's post again.

I just did, and I still disagree. I think he has a short-sided understanding of the atonement. He sees it as an act that took place on the cross. If that's all it was, then he effectively renders the resurrection and sending of the Spirit an unessential add-on.

Where is the Spirit in his theory of the Atonement? Is the Spirit involved in our justification?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I just did, and I still disagree. I think he has a short-sided understanding of the atonement. He sees it as an act that took place on the cross. If that's all it was, then he effectively renders the resurrection and sending of the Spirit an unessential add-on.

Where is the Spirit in his theory of the Atonement? Is the Spirit involved in our justification?

Atonement was achieved by the blood of the Son of Man; who was filled with the Holy Spirit and grace.

No distinction can ever be made between the will of the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit.

If Jesus sacrificed His life for His children, then the Father chose it to be so and the Holy Spirit complied.

Does the Holy Spirit regenerate all sinners to new life, gifting them with faith to believer in the blood sacrifice and justification (forgiveness of sins) achieved by Jesus Christ?

No, He does not . . .

Nang

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
He dIdn't die for all men if you believe in predestination. If you believe in our God given free will, then absolutely.

Son of Jack

Atonement was achieved by the blood of the Son of Man; who was filled with the Holy Spirit and grace.

No distinction can ever be made between the will of the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit.

If Jesus sacrificed His life for His children, then the Father chose it to be so and the Holy Spirit complied.

Does the Holy Spirit regenerate all sinners to new life, gifting them with faith to believer in the blood sacrifice and justification (forgiveness of sins) achieved by Jesus Christ?

No, He does not . . .

Nang

If it was as arbitrary as all that, then why did Jesus have to die? Why did we need His blood? Couldn't God just forgiven us?

Status
Not open for further replies.