toldailytopic: Avatar Movie. Did you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 23rd, 2010 09:59 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I loved it. Amazing effects. 3D really done well. Very loooooooong, though, for an early bird like me. I'm usually sound asleep by 10PM, and the movie was only halfway through at that point. But it did a pretty good job of keeping me away.

GuySmiley

I loved it! More for the amazing 3D effects than for the story, but the story was pretty good too.

Newman

The story was exactly the same as Pocahontas, the Disney movie.

Natives=aliens
Pocahontas=the blue chick (i forgot her name)
John Smith=Jake Sulley (notice the J.S.)
mining for gold=mining for unobtainium
the talking tree=the talking tree
the pantheistic/naturalist culture of the natives=the pantheistic/naturalist culture of the Na'vi
Pocahontas is the chief's daughter=whatsherface is the chief's daughter
Pocahontas teaches John Smith the ways of the tribe in the New World, and even though his mission was to infiltrate and find gold, he falls in love with her and becomes one of them and fights for them against his own people=you get the picture

It was a good movie, but nothing to put in the history books.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
We loved it. It was much, much better than Cats. :plain:

(now THAT'S an old reference...as always, rep available upon id)

Granite

Hall of Fame
It was a visual extravaganza and a truly entertaining flick. As an original story goes, it left a lot to be desired. But that's not why you go to a movie like Avatar. It was immersive and amazing, which means it did its job.

Real Sorceror

The story has been done to death, but somehow it was still an awesome movie.

My only other complaint is that the rare metal the humans are trying to get is called "unobtainium". As in "unobtainable". That kinda tells you ahead of time that they aren't going to get it...

Breathe

Saw it twice - both times in 3D. Loved it even more the second time, because I wasn't so overwhelmed and could focus totally on the visuals.

Gurucam

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 23rd, 2010 09:59 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Saw it. It deliver a very relevant message. Enjoyed it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I liked it a lot. I saw it at an IMAX theater. I liked the story, but as others have mentioned, it won't really win any awards for originality.

Visually stunning.

P8ntrDan

I would like to point out that this movie's screen play was much more original when it was actually written, Cameron felt that the technology available at the time wasn't up to what he wanted to do so he sat on it for 15 years.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I thought it was an entertaining story and I loved the 3d effect but I hated the tree hugger, pray to the tree, all life (including bugs and beasts who want to eat you) is sacred, anti-military, anti capitalist, anti human being message of the movie.

Quasar1011

Avatar was absolutely one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Yes, I said worst. In the end, it had the crowd rooting against the humans, and for the aliens! It was anti-human, anti-American, anti-Christian, anti-military, and anti-capitalistic.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So...that's a thumbs up :up: for Clete and Quasar, I see. :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Avatar was absolutely one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Yes, I said worst. In the end, it had the crowd rooting against the humans, and for the aliens! It was anti-human, anti-American, anti-Christian, anti-military, and anti-capitalistic.

I was totally rooting for the Navi. :D

:CRASH: Jerk humans messing with their home.

Status
Not open for further replies.