toldailytopic: Are you less likely to enjoy a movie or watch it at all if one of it's

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 20th, 2012 09:51 AM

toldailytopic: Are you less likely to enjoy a movie or watch it at all if one of it's main actors is known to have said negative things about America?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Buzzword

No. Good writing, good acting, good production are what make an enjoyable movie.

Besides, if we started bashing movies because someone involved with them did something we didn't like, ANYTHING in the entire cinematic production process could be used to justify it.

The star is a drug addict.
The director cheated on his wife in 1978.
The film shows a woman not wearing a veil.
The soundtrack was composed by a Jew.
"God" is said too many/not enough times in the dialogue.
The editor doesn't clip his fingernails often enough.
The producer was bi-curious in college.
The wardrobe lady has a mustache.
The movie posters used PhotoShop.
The man selling tickets at the theater hit on my daughter.

Yeah. ANYTHING.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are you less likely to enjoy a movie or watch it at all if one of it's main actors is known to have said negative things about America?

It depends on the actor and comments. For example ... I do not care for and prefer to not watch movies featuring Jane Fonda. My dislike for her doesn't stem from speaking out against the Vietnam War, but rather her blatant disrespect for the American Soldiers.

This Charming Manc

Isn't it the land of the free ?

Or the free to do anything but criticise it?

There plenty of good and plenty to criticise in most countries, grown ups can cope with people talking about it honestly.

PureX

Many artists are jerks. Many are not. I don't go to an art museum to visit with the artists. I go there to see the artworks. Same with a movie or music.

Also, I'm not especially upset by the stupid, mean, and idiotic things people say and do because I try not to expect people not to be stupid, mean, or idiotic.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 20th, 2012 09:51 AM

toldailytopic: Are you less likely to enjoy a movie or watch it at all if one of it's main actors is known to have said negative things about America?

Yes. I don't like watching losers that don't have an appreciation for the sacrifice our servicemen made to keep America free.

Topping the list of anti-american moon bats is Charlie Sheen. He's one of those 911 conspiracy nut jobs. Other whack jobs are: Danny Glover, Sean Penn, Madonna, Alec Baldwin, and Johhny Depp. Their presence in a film reduces my enjoyment of it.

Oh, and you can add to the list perverts like Ellen the Degenerate and Rosanne Barf. :vomit:

Alate_One

That would mean I'd have to pay attention to what any actor says. Who cares? They're not necessarily educated and there are extremists on both sides in Hollywood.

All of that said, there's nothing wrong with saying negative things about America, so long as they are true and you're willing to offer ideas as to how to make them better. That's the point of America, you can say anything you want, which is not fully true almost anywhere else.

GuySmiley

I try not to pay attention to 'artists' for their personal opinions. But there are a few who stuck in my mind and I can't get past them when watching them in a movie. Julia Roberts is one. Matt Damon is another. I have a harder time enjoying a movie that those people are in.

However, its pretty irrational for me. Other stars who are more outspoken don't bother me, like Alec Baldwin. For some reason he doesn't bother me even though I know he's more outspoken. I don't know why.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Isn't it the land of the free ?

Or the free to do anything but criticise it?

There plenty of good and plenty to criticise in most countries, grown ups can cope with people talking about it honestly.

Good job of thread crapping and proving for the ten thousandth time that you are a whiny left-wing sissy girl.

So... can you answer the OP?

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
If the movie is something Im very interested in, it probably wont effect it too much, but if its of marginal interest, it could easily make me wait to rent it, or skip it. The Pearl Harbor movie with the whiny actor dork was a good example. I ended up seeing at a friends house on DVD instead of buying a ticket. Turned out to be a lame lovely-dovey chick-movie with cool combat scenes here and there anyway. :)

WandererInFog

]toldailytopic: Are you less likely to enjoy a movie or watch it at all if one of it's main actors is known to have said negative things about America?

No, I don't expect actors know anything about politics, religion or any other subject any more so than the person taking my order at Fast Food restaurant.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nah. Ed Harris. He always played these intelligent, assured roles. And then one day I saw him interviewed. :plain:

On the plus side, my friend the ex Marine got to know Tom Hanks when he was filming Apollo 13, I think that's right...and said that he couldn't have been a nicer guy. Talked the men up and went out of his way to be gracious to people he could have ignored.

Sometimes knowing the sort of person an actor is does color my approach.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Tom Hanks used to be one of my favorite actors until I heard him pontificating on political issues. I don't think I could ever enjoy one of his movies again.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tom Hanks used to be one of my favorite actors until I heard him pontificating on political issues. I don't think I could ever enjoy one of his movies again.
Eh, I don't get accounting advice from my GP and I don't worry about most of Hollywood being to my left or Selleck being to my right (another good guy, to hear tell).

Now I have to admit I am influenced negatively by people who mock Christianity from their public pulpit. Conan lost me over that, though he's a very funny fellow.

Memento Mori

I usually try to avoid Scientologist (Ha! Spell check does not approve!) actors. But that's about it for me. As long as the movie doesn't suck, of course.