toldailytopic: Are stereotypes ever useful/good/valuable, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
He takes a bow so often most of us thought he had cramps at first. :plain:

I kneel more.

kneeling-to-pray.jpg

You should try it sometime counselor. (I won't tell the ACLU if you don't).

mighty_duck

toldailytopic: Are stereotypes ever useful/good/valuable, etc.?

If we step out of the PC box, statistical profiling can be useful. It should be limited to cases where we are unable to get to know a person as an individual.

For example.
At supermarket checkout, I will look at the people standing in line to decide which line to stand in. I have noticed that people of a certain demographic which will remain unnamed are statistically more likely to use checks, chat with the clerk about the good old days and their personal exchange with president Roosevelt (bonus points if it is Teddy), are slower to remove things from their cart etc. All things being equal I usually choose a different line if I am in a hurry.

I have noticed a similar trend in fast food employees of a certain ethnic group, and make similar decisions when this is the only information I have.

How about if we knew that statistically, the next airline terrorist will most probably be called Jack or John. It would make sense to check all Jacks and Johns more thoroughly before they boarded a plane. Ditto if statistics point to Muhamad or Ahmed as the likely name of the next terrorist.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Stereotypes?
Kirks' canon #5
"Faith in prescription and distrust of 'sophisters and calculators.' Man must put a control upon his will and his appetite, for conservatives know man to be governed more by emotion than by reason. Tradition and sound prejudice provide checks upon man's anarchic impulse. "

When Kirk speaks about sound prejudice, he is not referring to the modern concept of the word, group prejudice. He means we make judgments out of the habits of daily life. We may judge driving on ice as dangerous, without have to experience it. We may judge the actions of individuals as detrimental to our society, based of similar actions. Kirk may apply this further to a conservative end; however, we all make personal judgments based on habit and the experience, which cultivates personal habits. Sometimes our judgments are made based on stereotypes, yet often they are sound.

Arthur Brain

You're confusing "respect" with "likes".

After giving CPR to a co-worker that went into cardiac arrest several years ago, a supervisor of mine (who he and I agree, we mutually hate each others guts) admitted to me that if he went down, he'd want me there.

I'm not here to be "liked" atheist #2, I'm here to spread the truth.

Er, nooooo, no Connie. You're the one who confuses both terms. In actual fact you're ironically rather stereotypical of the arrogant self inflated sort who puff themselves up as an expert in fields they've barely scoured and even less comprehend....

For example: Mockery. To actually mock an opponents position one doesn't resort to wild imaginings regarding their sexuality, marital status or favoured bedtime drink, one does it by dismantling the erroneous position held by said opponent in debate. When you're reduced to using crass sexual innuendo towards another mans wife, or fancying that all and sundry are given to residing in an imagined basement you're projecting your own defficiency in regards to that in which you pronounce your expertise.....

Now lets compare this to some doofus who thinks a tour in the sandbox equates to a stint in a jail cell and just look at the mocking opportunities for such a faux pas......

Oh! Right, I forgot....

:plain:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I think that 'Stereotyping' is much of the time done subconsciously as a natural process of taxonomy or categorization, and not necessarily with any negative motivation.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Depends on the stereotype.

if you assume that a Filipina is going to be kinda short, with straight black hair and a catholic, you will almost certainly be right.

Almost certainly? It seems as if there are other things, namely behaviors that also are constant in cultures. Call me crazy, but 99.9999999% of the women outside are wearing a burkha. I guess that is just another racist, religious stereotype.

Stereotype? Not so much. Profiling? Yep.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You're confusing "respect" with "likes".

You're confusing replacing "respects" with "likes" with adding "likes" to "respects". :plain:

For the daily topic....they can be but often do damage. And profiling can probably be effective but should be avoided.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Almost certainly? It seems as if there are other things, namely behaviors that also are constant in cultures. Call me crazy, but 99.9999999% of the women outside are wearing a burkha. I guess that is just another racist, religious stereotype.

Stereotype? Not so much. Profiling? Yep.

I think they are little chickens. Does that make me, make me what? Profiler, stereotyper, or name caller? :idunno:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The burkha is a statement of submission. That in and of itself isn't so bad. I submit to authority. The problem is when our Speaker of the House, the second most powerful person in government puts it on to go to a foreign country, that puts us under them.

rexlunae

The burkha is a statement of submission. That in and of itself isn't so bad. I submit to authority. The problem is when our Speaker of the House, the second most powerful person in government puts it on to go to a foreign country, that puts us under them.

No, it really doesn't. How the Speaker of the House dresses is not symbolic for the whole country.

Status
Not open for further replies.