toldailytopic: Are stereotypes ever useful/good/valuable, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 8th, 2011 11:19 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Are stereotypes ever useful/good/valuable, etc.?

:think: Yes. It's a good way to spot lazy thinkers.

taikoo

Depends on the stereotype.

if you assume that a Filipina is going to be kinda short, with straight black hair and a catholic, you will almost certainly be right.

miriam

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 8th, 2011 11:19 AM

Sure - to find out what subjects you need to learn more about. If all you know about Christians are the stereotypes, for example, you should learn more about Christians - preferably by interacting with some.

Stereotypes are a lazy person's way to think and make decisions.

miriam

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
nobody on this forum respects you

You're confusing "respect" with "likes".

After giving CPR to a co-worker that went into cardiac arrest several years ago, a supervisor of mine (who he and I agree, we mutually hate each others guts) admitted to me that if he went down, he'd want me there.

I'm not here to be "liked" atheist #2, I'm here to spread the truth.

taikoo

You're confusing "respect" with "likes".

After giving CPR to a co-worker that went into cardiac arrest several years ago, a supervisor of mine (who he and I agree, we mutually hate each others guts) admitted to me that if he went down, he'd want me there.

I'm not here to be "liked" atheist #2, I'm here to spread the truth.

you are confusing a story about what may have happened years ago and how one person felt then and there, with the clear and obvious fact that nobody on this forum respects you.

Im sure you are right tho that nobody likes you either.

You do not have the capacity to 'spread the truth"; even if you knew what it is your abusive ugly style taints anything you might have to say.

nicholsmom

Yes. They are useful for nursery rhymes and other childrens' stories: the big-bad wolf, the huntsman with the heart of gold, the innocent maiden...

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
you are confusing a story about what may have happened years ago and how one person felt then and there, with the clear and obvious fact that nobody on this forum respects you.

Im sure you are right tho that nobody likes you either.

You do not have the capacity to 'spread the truth"; even if you knew what it is your abusive ugly style taints anything you might have to say.

Hold on atheist #2, a tear is welling up in my eye.

2003974211.jpg

Now where were we? So you surveyed the 12,000 + registered users on TOL to see if they like/respect/want to have a beer with me or not? (somebody tell taikoo to get a life).

I expose atheism and all the "goodies" that go with it. Feel free to debate me sometime, I'm up for the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.