toldailytopic: After the Colorado Movie theater shooting liberals are calling for mor

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

In the words of Christian conservative Selwyn Duke in his article

"The Aurora propaganda award goes to..."

"...Next, further making its case that Second Amendment supporters have blood on their hands, the [New York Daily] News spoke of the "body count" during heinous crimes: Columbine, 13; Virginia Tech, 32; and numerous smaller shootings that claimed 3 or 4 lives. Let's talk about body count.

On the day of Columbine, 3,332 children were murdered through abortion.

On the day of Virginia Tech, 3,332 children were murdered through abortion.

And on the day of each smaller shooting, 3,332 children were murdered through abortion.

The total is approximately 1.21 million a year.

It's clear what kind of legislation would save lives — and it has nothing to do with gun-control..."
http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/duke/120726

As atheists tell us Christians: "Clean up your own house first".

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: After the Colorado Movie theater shooting liberals are calling for more gun control. Have your views on guns changed in any way?

No.

I still would like to have one strapped on my hip at all times.

Alate_One

I can't imagine why you think having the ability to load some arbitrary number of rounds makes someone a criminal.
No, the question is why does an ordinary citizen need a clip with 100 rounds locked into a semi-automatic rifle?

Deer hunting with such a thing would seem to be ridiculous. It has no other purpose than a weapon for mass murder, or something fun to do at a shooting range.

I'm sure it would be fun to toss grenades and fire the main gun of a tank at a shooting range as well but I think it's pretty obvious why that isn't allowed.

Fun vs. mass killings, hmm. Lets think about that one a little.

What is an assault weapon? I'll bet you don't have a general definition, but base your opinion on examples and looks.

A weapon "designed for rapidly firing at human targets from close range."

Dems want sweeping and expansive measures that target mostly the law abiding.
Only on the point of assault weapons.

There should be an obvious limitation for ordinary civilians to not own weapons designed for military engagements that can be used for mass killings.

Holy Moses

No. Gun control does nothing but disarm the people who follow the law. Criminals will still get their weapons illegally no matter what.

Quincy

Speak for yourself, sir! My children are well-taught in the importance of gun respect and safety.

Of course I know what you are getting at, and I agree.

:thumb:

Glad to know there are kids out there that won't shoot themselves in the leg if they ever go into a nightclub haha.

PureX

Why tighter regulations regarding gun ownership and use would be a good idea ...

Concealed gun owner shoots own buttocks and wounds children at Dallas Walmart:

A licensed concealed handgun owner from Waco, Texas hurt more than his pride on Monday when his weapon accidentally discharged while he was reaching for his wallet at a Dallas Walmart store.

Police said that Todd Canady, 23, was in the checkout line when he fired the pistol he was carrying inside his pants.

“The bullet struck Canady in the buttock, then ricochet on the floor and broke into pieces,” KDFW reported. Two children and a woman were also wounded when they were struck by bullet fragments. - link here

The problem was never the guns. It's putting guns in the hands (and pants) of idiots.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
306881_376209302448701_5387053_n.jpg
30688137620930244870153.jpg

Can someone tell me again which gun we should ban?
306881_376209302448701_5387053_n.jpg

rexlunae

Can someone tell me again which gun we should ban?

How about both? Will that make you feel better?

I agree that we shouldn't just arbitrarily make a list of guns to ban based on how they look. That's why I based my definition of assault weapons on the rate at which they can fire rounds. And it might also help to control clip size. If there are other useful criteria, perhaps other people can suggest them. Or are you not interested in being constructive?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why tighter regulations regarding gun ownership and use would be a good idea ...

Concealed gun owner shoots own buttocks and wounds children at Dallas Walmart:

A licensed concealed handgun owner from Waco, Texas hurt more than his pride on Monday when his weapon accidentally discharged while he was reaching for his wallet at a Dallas Walmart store.

Police said that Todd Canady, 23, was in the checkout line when he fired the pistol he was carrying inside his pants.

“The bullet struck Canady in the buttock, then ricochet on the floor and broke into pieces,” KDFW reported. Two children and a woman were also wounded when they were struck by bullet fragments. - link here

The problem was never the guns. It's putting guns in the hands (and pants) of idiots.

Consider the story equivalent to liberals and their God-given constitutional right to free speech.

Except liberals have many many more 'negligent discharges'.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
How about both? Will that make you feel better?
Nope.

I agree that we shouldn't just arbitrarily make a list of guns to ban based on how they look. That's why I based my definition of assault weapons on the rate at which they can fire rounds. And it might also help to control clip size. If there are other useful criteria, perhaps other people can suggest them. Or are you not interested in being constructive?
Why should we ban them at all?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is the purpose of having 100-round clips? How many people have a genuine defensive need of such a thing?
Few.

But the question is irrelevant. a 100 round clip does not turn a person into mass murderer.

A weapon that can fire a large number of rounds quickly.
You've just described every firearm and none of them. Your description is useless because it doesn't distinguish an assault weapon from any other.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, the question is why does an ordinary citizen need a clip with 100 rounds locked into a semi-automatic rifle?
Why not? It saves time on reloading. It doesn't turn a person into a murder.

Deer hunting with such a thing would seem to be ridiculous. It has no other purpose than a weapon for mass murder, or something fun to do at a shooting range.
You do realize you are banning the fun at the shooting range with your sweeping ban? And for what? Almost nothing.

And then, the next murderer uses a 30 round clip so it must be banned, and then a 20 round clip, and then a 10 round clip. Turns out you were never interested in a 100 round clip at all.

Here's a hint: arbitrary (number) law is a usually bad law. Just avoid it entirely.

I'm sure it would be fun to toss grenades and fire the main gun of a tank at a shooting range as well but I think it's pretty obvious why that isn't allowed.
Because it can't be directed at a single individual. That's the criteria for a citizen's defensive weapon.

Fun vs. mass killings, hmm. Lets think about that one a little.
That would be a valid comparison if fun on a target range was related to mass killing.

A weapon "designed for rapidly firing at human targets from close range."
You've just described every firearm and none of them. Your description is useless because it doesn't distinguish an assault weapon from any other.

Only on the point of assault weapons.
Which, as you show, is every weapon. Or none, but I know you don't have that in mind.

There should be an obvious limitation for ordinary civilians to not own weapons designed for military engagements that can be used for mass killings.
Again, you've described every firearm and none of them. Any firearm, as history has proved, can be used in a military engagement. They could also all be used in a mass killing.

Last edited:

Cleekster

not at all..... the second amendment and the first go hand in hand. just because some idiot uses poor judgement and goes on a killing rampage doesn't mean that responsible gun owners everywhere should be punished.

rexlunae

Few.

But the question is irrelevant. a 100 round clip does not turn a person into mass murderer.

No, but it helps. It's certainly easier to shoot 71 people in a minute and a half if you have a 100-round clip.

You've just described every firearm and none of them.

All guns can fire a large number of rounds in a short time?

Your description is useless because it doesn't distinguish an assault weapon from any other.

Why not?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, but it helps. It's certainly easier to shoot 71 people in a minute and a half if you have a 100-round clip.
The most recent nut would have been beaten to death inside of five minutes if he'd had to try that with a breech loader. :think:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
People can be stupid. Gun are tools for propelling lead/ steel/ alloy/ copper, or simply metal balls.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, but it helps.
It helps someone become a mass murderer if 100 round clips exist? How so?

It's certainly easier to shoot 71 people in a minute and a half if you have a 100-round clip.
Or even easier with a 200 round clip. Or just about as easy, if not easier, with 2 x 60 round clips which are more reliable.

So what is a safe number of rounds that can go into a clip that will stop mass murderers? 99? 98? 97?... And can you do that without infringing on the freedom of someone's property to load 100 rounds at a time at the firing range? Or do you think freedom just isn't that important?

All guns can fire a large number of rounds in a short time?
What is your definition of "large" and "short time?"

I don't suppose your favorite liberal leader would use the slippery definition to define it a little smaller than you and a little longer time than you? Na, that'll never happen.

Because any semi-automatic rifle can be made to do the same thing, and with such a sloppy definition any firearm can be shoe-horned based on the same principle.

rexlunae

It helps someone become a mass murderer if 100 round clips exist? How so?

By making killing quicker.

Or even easier with a 200 round clip. Or just about as easy, if not easier, with 2 x 60 round clips which are more reliable.

That's fine. The number of cases for self-defense with even a sixty-round clip seem pretty small too, unless you're defending yourself against the Syrian army.

So what is a safe number of rounds that can go into a clip that will stop mass murderers? 99? 98? 97?...

It would have to be a fair amount smaller. Say, 10, perhaps.

And can you do that without infringing on the freedom of someone's property to load 100 rounds at a time at the firing range? Or do you think freedom just isn't that important?

I think a person's right not to be shot at a movie theater trumps the right not to have to reload as much at the shooting range. I will gladly inconvenience someone during their recreation time if it saves lives.

What is your definition of "large" and "short time?"

Yes, I was intentionally vague about that because I'm more interested in establishing the principle of the thing than the specific attributes. If we could agree on the concept of the regulation, I think that would be progress. Certainly, some values would be impractical, useless, and counterproductive.

I don't suppose your favorite liberal leader would use the slippery definition to define it a little smaller than you and a little longer time than you? Na, that'll never happen.

That doesn't really bother me.