TOL Pet Memoriam

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tiger, aka The Great Dumphini, You Falstaffian Wonder You.

1997 - 2014

A great run.

Tiger, in flesh and spirit:
Sorry to read this. Our sympathies to T/H and family.

Our pets are dear to us, the longer we have them, the greater the loss.

:e4e:

glorydaz

I had the thought earlier this morning while going through a few pictures of Cammy, who some of you already know passed away yesterday. That set me thinking of Lucy, who died February of 08 and of Sarah, who disappeared some time ago and is likely gone as well.

It seemed to me that it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to have a thread where those of us who were fortunate enough to have had able and beloved companions could share something of them with everyone, if only a picture and a name.

In that spirit I'll begin with three posts. Just a brief description and photo at first. I'm too tired for eulogizing now.

My heart goes out to you on your recent loss. Our pets are such a blessing from the Lord and an important part of our families. God is so good for allowing us to have them in our lives.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Did he rule the dogs?

:) He did. He was the oldest and when the others were young he'd already established himself so that by the time they were fully mature he had that edge. A tough fellow who wouldn't put up with much he'd wade in when any of the animals got surly with the others and slap them and they'd take it and back down. I've seen him break up a slight fight between two of our dogs doing that. Very funny.

He went out like a light bulb. He wasn't frail or suffering, though the last week or so I noticed him being a little less energetic and careful. I was thinking he might be getting arthritic, but his nose was cold and he still loved being picked up and would jaunt up the steps to say hello.

Fortunately, every time he did I'd pick him up and put him on his back and carry him around talking to him. I was the only one he'd let do that and he'd purr and groom me when I did. When he was younger we had a routine. I'd find him laying and quietly, lightly put my foot on him and claim him for France. That always got an ankle nip. If I said England or any other country he'd just look at me, waiting for France. :)

He'll be missed.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
She's a beautiful cat, kmo. I love the one of her on the blue blanket, she looks really cozy. You lost a good friend, and I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

kmoney

Hall of Fame
She's a beautiful cat, kmo. I love the one of her on the blue blanket, she looks really cozy. You lost a good friend, and I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Thank you. And it's funny you say that. I remember taking that picture. I texted it to my sister with a message about exactly that, her being cozy on a cold night. :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Thank you. And it's funny you say that. I remember taking that picture. I texted it to my sister with a message about exactly that, her being cozy on a cold night. :)

Cats love rumpled blankets, and she looks really happy and content. :) You must have a lot of wonderful memories.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I looked for the thread I started when I lost George but it must have been pruned at some point. George was TOL legend and he passed away January 16, 2008
I still miss him.

My friend Lon just called this photo to my attention! I posted it on FaceBook for "friends day" Nothing like posting a photo of my George to find out who is watching my page!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sorry Town. :( Great looking dog.
Thanks, kmo. A very sweet girl. She lived to follow Jack and hang out with us, but she'd been without a pack for a year and I know she missed them, because she'd taken to going to the end of our lane and spending time with a terrier.

She had a great back story. Lady came to us via another dog who was dying, but who got her out of what our vet thought was a bait dog situation. They showed up and her ears had been cut to bleed a bit. The dying dog, Buddy, lasted a week, but had food and kindness for at least that much of his life and seemed like a good soul. Lady was instantly absorbed by my Border Collie, Sebastian, my mostly Black Lab, Sarah, and whatever little Cam was...some sort of Terrier. And that group was together for about eight years. Then I think Sarah went first. Then Cam, just before Jack arrived. And it was Sebastian (the Collie) and Lady for several years. Then Sebastian gave up the ghost and she had us and a couple of cats for company.

She was healthy and loved, a gentle dog whose tail spun like a slow propeller when she was running and happy. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Lady died a little over a month ago, but I had to set it aside. Only just pulled up the water bowls and I'm not ready to tackle her house yet. We converted a pump house into her and Sebastian's quarters. Straw with thick blankets on the floor, put concrete in one of the corners for a heater and the height of the ceiling and connection to the house kept it cool in summer, when she wasn't under the side porch which was cooler still.

A good life. A better dog. And then there were none.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Thanks, kmo. A very sweet girl. She lived to follow Jack and hang out with us, but she'd been without a pack for a year and I know she missed them, because she'd taken to going to the end of our lane and spending time with a terrier.

She had a great back story. Lady came to us via another dog who was dying, but who got her out of what our vet thought was a bait dog situation. They showed up and her ears had been cut to bleed a bit. The dying dog, Buddy, lasted a week, but had food and kindness for at least that much of his life and seemed like a good soul. Lady was instantly absorbed by my Border Collie, Sebastian, my mostly Black Lab, Sarah, and whatever little Cam was...some sort of Terrier. And that group was together for about eight years. Then I think Sarah went first. Then Cam, just before Jack arrived. And it was Sebastian (the Collie) and Lady for several years. Then Sebastian gave up the ghost and she had us and a couple of cats for company.

She was healthy and loved, a gentle dog whose tail spun like a slow propeller when she was running and happy. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Lady died a little over a month ago, but I had to set it aside. Only just pulled up the water bowls and I'm not ready to tackle her house yet. We converted a pump house into her and Sebastian's quarters. Straw with thick blankets on the floor, put concrete in one of the corners for a heater and the height of the ceiling and connection to the house kept it cool in summer, when she wasn't under the side porch which was cooler still.

A good life. A better dog. And then there were none.

Great memories. When my cat died a couple years ago I also left her things out for a while. Couldn't immediately put it all away. In fact, I still have a blanket laying on the chair she often laid in. I hadn't thought about that for a while. After this long it's still there because of laziness and lack of a need to move it but this just jogged some sentimental feelings.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Scrabbles was a rescued Scotty/something or other. She was apparently doing just fine on the street, and didn't want to be rescued. I learned why, after I got her. She was an escape artist, a conniving little dog who thought she was smarter than anything else. I got to bail her out of the pound only once. She knew animal control, and they only were able to catch her once.

She was always finding a way to get out of the yard. I'd drive up and she'd be waiting at the front door. When she saw me, she'd run around to the back, get back in the yard, and act as though she had been there all the time.

Once, she managed to pop a fastener on her crate, so she could slip out of it. But she never did it when we were watching. Took a few times of "I thought we put her in the crate" before I checked it and saw what she was doing.

She loved my daughter with complete devotion. They were always together.

One night I opened the door, and she ran out before I could stop her,into the path of a car. She died in Meagan's arms.

It was hard for me, worse for Meagan. I would love to have that little miscreant back with me.

Lon

Been really hard talking about her, she died a couple of months into this year.
attachment.php
She was the hardest one for me to say goodbye to since probably my childhood.

He is 6 months old now and has been incredible for healing.View attachment 26040

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Been really hard talking about her, she died a couple of months into this year.
She was the hardest one for me to say goodbye to since probably my childhood.

He is 6 months old now and has been incredible for healing.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lon. What a sweet face she has there. Goodbyes are so hard.

I'm so glad you have this new little one to help you heal. He's a cutie. :)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lessons from a Dog - Out of the Mouth of Babes

Lessons from a Dog - Out of the Mouth of Babes

WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!
Be sure to scroll all the way down & read the story and thoughts at the end.
They are the best part of this email.

A Dog's Purpose? (>From a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try to live.

He said, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?”
The Six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.”

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!​

Yours in Christ,
Jim Tuckett