• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Time doesn't exist.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Couldn't find the thread I wanted to put this one in, so I'm starting a new one.

We Open theists have said a few things about time, but the most important being that time, as an entity, doesn't really exist, it's simply how we describe sequence of events in relation to each other.

Bob Enyart said a few times that theologians and philosophers often arrive at conclusions long before the scientists do (if someone has the exact quote, let me know, that's just a rough approximation of what he said based on my memory).

Well, it seems like that's at least almost true here as well, as Phys.org just posted this article.

Hoping

Banned
Couldn't find the thread I wanted to put this one in, so I'm starting a new one.

We Open theists have said a few things about time, but the most important being that time, as an entity, doesn't really exist, it's simply how we describe sequence of events in relation to each other.

Bob Enyart said a few times that theologians and philosophers often arrive at conclusions long before the scientists do (if someone has the exact quote, let me know, that's just a rough approximation of what he said based on my memory).

Well, it seems like that's at least almost true here as well, as Phys.org just posted this article.

I may check it out later, when I have the time.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I like those that say "time" is a descriptive measurement like "inch" and "ounce".
"Time" being the descriptive measurement between events.
Thus, neither time or inch or ounce were created entities or forces.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
This is correct. Time is a measurement, and the measurement of time is warped by gravity. This is why time is relative. Space is also warped by gravity, which means that space is also relative.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
This is correct. Time is a measurement, and the measurement of time is warped by gravity.
OK but it doesn't mean that 1200 years ago wasn't 1200 years ago.
This is why time is relative. Space is also warped by gravity, which means that space is also relative.
My understanding is that gravity is the warping, that mass warps space and that that warping is called gravity.

Idolater

I say that gravity "warping space" is a description no better than "magic."
The weight of everything near every high tide (iow right under the moon) is reduced by a tiny but non-zero proportion. Precision pressure meters or transducers (measuring downward pressure, iow scales) can detect this. This pressure variation is gravitation and space warping due to the mass of the moon. I submit.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The weight of everything near every high tide (iow right under the moon) is reduced by a tiny but non-zero proportion. Precision pressure meters or transducers (measuring downward pressure, iow scales) can detect this. This pressure variation is gravitation and space warping due to the mass of the moon.
And how do you know that the change in the gravity environment is not affecting your instruments?

Idolater

And how do you know that the change in the gravity environment is not affecting your instruments?
If a pressure reduction is detected then it is because the omnidirectional force (pressure is a scalar quantity) is different. What is your idea? That a difference in gravitation is causing the meter to malfunction, but that pressure is still actually the same?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If a pressure reduction is detected then it is because the omnidirectional force (pressure is a scalar quantity) is different. What is your idea? That a difference in gravitation is causing the meter to malfunction, but that pressure is still actually the same?
Apologies. I didn't read your example carefully.

That's just an example of gravity in action.

Allow me to alter my initial response.

Why is the explanation "space is warped" justified over "magic"?

Idolater

Apologies. I didn't read your example carefully.

That's just an example of gravity in action.

Allow me to alter my initial response.

Why is the explanation "space is warped" justified over "magic"?
I can plot pressure measurements. If I have a sensitive pressure transducer logging its measurements with timestamps I can see the slight perturbations on the chart, and I can see that they're periodic, and I can correlate the moon's position with the pressure measurements and actually derive a formula, a differential equation to describe the perturbations according to the moon's position. That doesn't prove anything, because correlation doesn't prove causation, but when you have a correlation that isn't cause-and-effect, then you still should ask what common cause there is that explains both highly correlated phenomena.

But I can't do any of that with magic.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can plot pressure measurements. If I have a sensitive pressure transducer logging its measurements with timestamps I can see the slight perturbations on the chart, and I can see that they're periodic, and I can correlate the moon's position with the pressure measurements and actually derive a formula, a differential equation to describe the perturbations according to the moon's position. That doesn't prove anything, because correlation doesn't prove causation, but when you have a correlation that isn't cause-and-effect, then you still should ask what common cause there is that explains both highly correlated phenomena.

But I can't do any of that with magic.
But you can do it by warping space.

The observations are explained by gravity. You assert that gravity works by warping space. I say gravity works by magic.

What makes your assertion better than mine?

Idolater

But you can do it by warping space.

The observations are explained by gravity. You assert that gravity works by warping space. I say gravity works by magic.

What makes your assertion better than mine?
I didn't say that I said mass warps space and that warping is called gravity. And again if I could measure magic and plot it and correlate it strongly to other metrics then I'm not calling that magic anymore.