The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

lifeisgood

We just see that so differently, there's no point in going on!

How sad that even though shown that without the BLOOD there is no remission of sin, you continue to reject the only thing God will see and accept for your salvation, the precious BLOOD of His Son, Christ Jesus shed on the Cross of Calvary.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You think the Holy Spirit is a person.
Show me a verse where he converses with someone.
The HS appears to be the force God uses.

Sent from my A622GL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Keypurr, Wake Up!

John 16:5-15 American Standard Version (ASV)

5 But now I go unto him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou? 6 But because I have spoken these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the [a]Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you. 8 And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more; 11 of judgment, because the prince of this world hath been judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall take of mine, and shall declare it unto you. 15 All things whatsoever the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he taketh of mine, and shall declare it unto you.

Forces do not do these things, persons do.

keypurr

Keypurr, Wake Up!

5 But now I go unto him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou? 6 But because I have spoken these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the [a]Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you. 8 And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more; 11 of judgment, because the prince of this world hath been judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall take of mine, and shall declare it unto you. 15 All things whatsoever the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he taketh of mine, and shall declare it unto you.

John 16:7

(ASV) Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you.

(BBE) But what I am saying is true: my going is for your good: for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

(Bishops) Neuerthelesse, I tell you the trueth, it is expedient for you that I go away. For yf I go not away, that comforter wyll not come vnto you: But yf I depart, I wyll sende hym vnto you.

(CEV) But I tell you that I am going to do what is best for you. That is why I am going away. The Holy Spirit cannot come to help you until I leave. But after I am gone, I will send the Spirit to you.

(DRB) But I tell you the truth: it is expedient to you that I go. For if I go not, the Paraclete will not come to you: but if I go, I will send him to you.

(ESV) Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.

(Geneva) Yet I tell you the trueth, It is expedient for you that I goe away: for if I goe not away, that Comforter will not come vnto you: but if I depart, I will send him vnto you.

(GNB) But I am telling you the truth: it is better for you that I go away, because if I do not go, the Helper will not come to you. But if I do go away, then I will send him to you.

(GW) However, I am telling you the truth: It's good for you that I'm going away. If I don't go away, the helper won't come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.

(ISV) However, I am telling you the truth. It is for your advantage that I am going away, for if I do not go away the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.

(KJV) Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

(NAS77) "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

(NASB) "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

(NET.) But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I am going away. For if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you.

(NIrV) "But what I'm about to tell you is true. It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Friend will not come to help you. But if I go, I will send him to you.

(NIV) But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

(NKJV) Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.

(NRSV) Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

(NRSVA) Nevertheless I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

(TNIV) But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

(YLT) `But I tell you the truth; it is better for you that I go away, for if I may not go away, the Comforter will not come unto you, and if I go on, I will send Him unto you;
John 16:7

Now from the Aramaic.

Yochanan 16:7 But I speak truth to you that it is better for you if I go, for if I do not go, the Redeemer will not come to you.

Lets see now, Comforter, Helper, Advocate, Counselor, Holy Spirit and Redeemer.

Comforter does not sound like God. Sounds like peace of mind to me. God is giving me peace of mind.
Helper does not sound like God neither.
Advocate does not sound like God neither. Christ is the Advocate.
Counselor, again sounds like God sending us a message.
Holy Spirit, now we are back to ground zero. Did not God sent the Holy Spirit into Mary?

Now for the last one.

Redeemer. This opens up a new can of worms for you. I always considered the Father and his son as Redeemers. The Father sent the son to redeem the world.

I am sorry BR but I just do not see God himself in the verse you quote. I see a force or tool God uses to comfort, educated and display the will of the Father. Makes me wonder if the Comforter is just the spirit of Christ for God made all things through him. He was a comforter, helper, advocate, counselor and Redeemer. Something to ponder over.

Anyway, I am open to more verses if you have them.

Rosenritter

Keypurr, Wake Up!

People do those things. People also have names. Does the Holy Spirit have a name?

Rosenritter

I am sorry BR but I just do not see God himself in the verse you quote. I see a force or tool God uses to comfort, educated and display the will of the Father. Makes me wonder if the Comforter is just the spirit of Christ for God made all things through him. He was a comforter, helper, advocate, counselor and Redeemer. Something to ponder over.

Anyway, I am open to more verses if you have them.

Keypurr, may I try please? I am not using a "Trinity" framework, but I think I can establish that the Holy Spirit is a person.

First, I'd like to establish the definition of "spirit" in our context. Four passages should suffice:

John 4:24 KJV
(24) God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Hebrews 1:7-8 KJV
(7) And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
(8) But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Hebrews 12:9 KJV
(9) Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Revelation 16:14 KJV
(14) For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

Out of the creations of God, do any of his angels bear the designation of the Holy Spirit? I am not aware of any evidence along those lines. But God is a spirit, and his created angels are spirits. If you were to refer to God, not in relation to Jesus (as Father), but as he works in invisible power among us in this world of his that he created, that is, as a spirit, how would you differentiate him from any other spirit? Angels are spirits, and devils are spirits. But which spirit is God?

Isaiah 57:15 KJV
(15) For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

Other spirits exist but they cannot be called Holy. Of all the spirits that exist, there is only one whose name can be called Holy. The Holy Spirit. If you allow God in heaven to be a person, then he is a person no matter whether he is in heaven, or manifest in the flesh, or working invisibly among us. God is the Holy Spirit (and no other.)

I realize that even if you accept all that I said above, you might still see references to the Holy Spirit as a force, but it would be the force of a Spirit whose name is Holy who reigns in heaven above, also known as LORD God Almighty. And the LORD God is a person, for we are told that Jesus was the express image of his person.

Hebrews 1:1-3 KJV
(1) God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
(2) Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
(3) Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

If God is a person, and the Holy Spirit is God, the the Holy Spirit must be a person.

A = B, C = A, therefore B= C.

marhig

If Christ does not mean God, and if anointed does not mean mean God, then what do you think it means?
Anointed does not mean God, and Christ does not mean God.

Christ means the anointed one of God

Anointed means anointed of God by the holy spirit.

Can you show me where it says in the Bible that Christ means God?

Last edited: