The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mark 3:28New King James Version (NKJV)

28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter;

keypurr

God the Son is risen from the dead.

BR, remember when Paul Pirac answered your post on God the Son?

Actually, Jesus did say he was not God!

No One but God is Good

One day a "rich young ruler" came to Jesus and asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" (Luke 18:18). Jesus replied, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (v. 19). The traditional explanation I was taught is that Jesus stops this young man right in his tracks because he needed to realize that Jesus really was God. It is as if Jesus said, "Don't you realize who I am? I am God Himself. Don't call me ‘good’ without remembering this. Recognize who it is you are talking to!" Sound a bit strained? Whilst admitting that Jesus’ reply is difficult I think there's a better explanation. Jesus was saying that he himself is not God. This is the natural, obvious sense so let's look at it in more detail.

The word for "good" here is the Greek word agathos. It is an adjective which according to the G. Abbott-Smith, A Manual Greek lexicon of the New Testament, third edition. Agathos properly refers to "inner excellence." In Joseph Henry Thayer’s, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, agathos when used of God refers to the fact that He is completely, perfectly, and essentially good.

Jesus says that only God is agathos or good. It refers to God's holiness, his "otherness," that which sets Him apart from all of His creation. On the practical level it means that God cannot help being good, God cannot sin, nor can He even be tempted to sin. God alone is "incorruptible" and immortal (1 Tim 1:17).

On the other hand, Jesus reject for himself the description agathos, that inner quality of perfection which belongs only to God. "In essence he rejects this divine attribute of holiness and, on the negative side, he rejects incorruptibility." This means that Jesus was a real human being and had the option of being either good or bad. Jesus’ temptations were real; he could have succumbed and failed. For he was not agathos, that is not good, and not God in the absolute sense of the word. This means that he was liable to corruption (Acts 2:27). But it also means his victories were real. The Bible teaches that Jesus learned obedience (Heb.5:8). God the Father has never had to learn goodness!

Truly, there was a certain goodness that Jesus did possess. His was a goodness unique in human history. We know that he "increased [grew] in wisdom, in stature, and in favor with God and with man" (Luke 2:52). This was the sinless goodness that had been possible for Adam, originally. This is the goodness that qualified him to be the Good Shepherd who gave his life as a sacrifice for us. But the word describing him as "The Good Shepherd" (John 10:11) is a different Greek word, kalos, meaning morally excellent and worthy of recognition. This type of goodness certainly describes our Savior.

So what does this all mean? Evidently when the young man addressed Jesus as "Good Teacher" Jesus took offense. His response indicates a rebuke in fact: "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." (This crucial phrase ei me heis ho theos may also be translated "but the one God," which is a strong unitary monotheistic affirmation from Jesus’ lips: "no one is good but the one God.")

The Trinitarian Raymond E. Brown in his book, An Introduction to New Testament Christology writes, "The text strongly distinguishes between Jesus and God, and that a description of himself to which Jesus objected was applicable to God. From this text, one would never suspect that the evangelist referred to Jesus and God."

Surely we do not honor the Lord Jesus when we attribute to him what he himself rejected and what belongs only to his Father in heaven? If confirmation that this is the correct interpretation is sought, and we need only to turn to revelations 15. After his resurrection and ascension into heaven Jesus is seen leading the worship directed to God his Father. All the victorious Saints of God singing "the song of Moses, the bond-servant of God, and the song of the lamb, saying, ‘Great and marvelous are Your works, O LORD God, the Almighty… Who will not fear, O LORD and glorify Your Name? For You alone are Holy" (v. 3-4). Even now in heaven the Lord Jesus’ confession is that his Father "alone" is holy. As the lamb of God, Jesus still worships God his Father as the only one who is good! Only his Father, the Lord God Almighty, is the source of all moral excellence. How much better to agree with our Lord Jesus and confess that there is only one who is good, that is God. Jesus rejects the identification of himself with the one true and good God in Luke 18:19.

His post from the past.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
BR, remember when Paul Pirac answered your post on God the Son?

Actually, Jesus did say he was not God!

No One but God is Good

One day a "rich young ruler" came to Jesus and asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" (Luke 18:18). Jesus replied, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (v. 19). The traditional explanation I was taught is that Jesus stops this young man right in his tracks because he needed to realize that Jesus really was God. It is as if Jesus said, "Don't you realize who I am? I am God Himself. Don't call me ‘good’ without remembering this. Recognize who it is you are talking to!" Sound a bit strained? Whilst admitting that Jesus’ reply is difficult I think there's a better explanation. Jesus was saying that he himself is not God. This is the natural, obvious sense so let's look at it in more detail.

The word for "good" here is the Greek word agathos. It is an adjective which according to the G. Abbott-Smith, A Manual Greek lexicon of the New Testament, third edition. Agathos properly refers to "inner excellence." In Joseph Henry Thayer’s, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, agathos when used of God refers to the fact that He is completely, perfectly, and essentially good.

Jesus says that only God is agathos or good. It refers to God's holiness, his "otherness," that which sets Him apart from all of His creation. On the practical level it means that God cannot help being good, God cannot sin, nor can He even be tempted to sin. God alone is "incorruptible" and immortal (1 Tim 1:17).

On the other hand, Jesus reject for himself the description agathos, that inner quality of perfection which belongs only to God. "In essence he rejects this divine attribute of holiness and, on the negative side, he rejects incorruptibility." This means that Jesus was a real human being and had the option of being either good or bad. Jesus’ temptations were real; he could have succumbed and failed. For he was not agathos, that is not good, and not God in the absolute sense of the word. This means that he was liable to corruption (Acts 2:27). But it also means his victories were real. The Bible teaches that Jesus learned obedience (Heb.5:8). God the Father has never had to learn goodness!

Truly, there was a certain goodness that Jesus did possess. His was a goodness unique in human history. We know that he "increased [grew] in wisdom, in stature, and in favor with God and with man" (Luke 2:52). This was the sinless goodness that had been possible for Adam, originally. This is the goodness that qualified him to be the Good Shepherd who gave his life as a sacrifice for us. But the word describing him as "The Good Shepherd" (John 10:11) is a different Greek word, kalos, meaning morally excellent and worthy of recognition. This type of goodness certainly describes our Savior.

So what does this all mean? Evidently when the young man addressed Jesus as "Good Teacher" Jesus took offense. His response indicates a rebuke in fact: "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." (This crucial phrase ei me heis ho theos may also be translated "but the one God," which is a strong unitary monotheistic affirmation from Jesus’ lips: "no one is good but the one God.")

The Trinitarian Raymond E. Brown in his book, An Introduction to New Testament Christology writes, "The text strongly distinguishes between Jesus and God, and that a description of himself to which Jesus objected was applicable to God. From this text, one would never suspect that the evangelist referred to Jesus and God."

Surely we do not honor the Lord Jesus when we attribute to him what he himself rejected and what belongs only to his Father in heaven? If confirmation that this is the correct interpretation is sought, and we need only to turn to revelations 15. After his resurrection and ascension into heaven Jesus is seen leading the worship directed to God his Father. All the victorious Saints of God singing "the song of Moses, the bond-servant of God, and the song of the lamb, saying, ‘Great and marvelous are Your works, O LORD God, the Almighty… Who will not fear, O LORD and glorify Your Name? For You alone are Holy" (v. 3-4). Even now in heaven the Lord Jesus’ confession is that his Father "alone" is holy. As the lamb of God, Jesus still worships God his Father as the only one who is good! Only his Father, the Lord God Almighty, is the source of all moral excellence. How much better to agree with our Lord Jesus and confess that there is only one who is good, that is God. Jesus rejects the identification of himself with the one true and good God in Luke 18:19.

His post from the past.

Yes and do not believe a thing he says.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
No he was not.
WHY DO YOU CALL ME GOOD, ONLY GOD IS GOOD.
He was telling you that he is not God.

Sent from my iPad using TOL

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.​

And... this is Jesus saying He is GOOD and the GOOD Shepherd from Psalm 23...

The word LORD in the 23rd Psalm is YHWH. But... you HATE Jesus and HATE that He is God, so you will HATE Him and deny His Rightful title.

You are proud like Satan and want to BE Like God! Thus... you Hate the LIVING TRUTH.You embrace true original Sin and would kill God before you would call Him Jesus!

Frankly... you are AFRAID that your works won't save you and afraid of God actually being able to DIE for wretched sinners! It disgusts you and condemns your self exaltation and false teaching!

Your wickedness can only be satisfied by God!

Only God can Please God!

2 Timothy 2:13New King James Version (NKJV)

13 If we are faithless,
He remains faithful;
He cannot deny Himself.​

He is His own sin offering because He is the King that fights the front lines and walks with us.

You have lied for so long that SATAN has your mortal soul gripped with fear!

You are a coward sold to sin Incarnate and you are too chicken to Call Jesus God! You serve the true god of flesh! He has you worshiping yourself, while you blaspheme the very virgin birth of GOD!

If all goes down as I believe and Christ would allow me, I would snatch you from the number riding against Ancient Israel and throw you at the Kings Feet to beg His Mercy! He would forgive you, but you would see many that you have taught slaughtered because of your wicked, lawless, Christless teaching!

That is from my very soul to yours... Keypurr!

Oh... and spare me your false humility! At least Daqq shows his pride clearly!

Last edited:

keypurr

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.​

And... this is Jesus saying He is GOOD and the GOOD Shepherd from Psalm 23...

The word LORD in the 23rd Psalm is YHWH. But... you HATE Jesus and HATE that He is God, so you will HATE Him and deny His Rightful title.

You are proud like Satan and want to BE Like God! Thus... you Hate the LIVING TRUTH.You embrace true original Sin and would kill God before you would call Him Jesus!

Frankly... you are AFRAID that your works won't save you and afraid of God actually being able to DIE for wretched sinners! It disgusts you and condemns your self exaltation and false teaching!

Your wickedness can only be satisfied by God!

Only God can Please God!

2 Timothy 2:13New King James Version (NKJV)

13 If we are faithless,
He remains faithful;
He cannot deny Himself.​

He is His own sin offering because He is the King that fights the front lines and walks with us.

You have lied for so long that SATAN has your mortal soul gripped with fear!

You are a coward sold to sin Incarnate and you are too chicken to Call Jesus God! You serve the true god of flesh! He has you worshiping yourself, while you blaspheme the very virgin birth of GOD!

If all goes down as I believe and Christ would allow me, I would snatch you from the number riding against Ancient Israel and throw you at the Kings Feet to beg His Mercy! He would forgive you, but you would see many that you have taught slaughtered because of your wicked, lawless, Christless teaching!

That is from my very soul to yours... Keypurr!

Oh... and spare me your false humility! At least Daqq shows his pride clearly!

Were you born that stupid or did you go to school for it.

What world did you come from?

You have no clue what you read.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Were you born that stupid or did you go to school for it.

What world did you come from?

You have no clue what you read.

Sent from my ignorance using TOL

Second favorite ironic ToL quote ever.

Jesus said He was God in a way that requires scriptural knowledge and faith. These are the very two things that you are bankrupt of.

Why do you deny that Jesus is YHWH? Do you think you get brownie points for Anti Christ Teaching? Are you aching to meet the false prophet of false prophets? I can say with assurance that he will agree with you and reward you for your understanding...

- EE

Ps ... Your version of God is a cowarding baboon that is too proud to walk among us and command respect through humility. Your spirit son was too afraid to taste the sting of mortal death. You have traded the Lion of Judah for the cub of Judas.

Is. 14:14? Yup

Is. 45:5 ... and yet you call Him a liar! Who is the liar but the one that denies that Jesus came in the flesh. Php. 2:9; 10 ought to be enough for you.

Perhaps if I made a thread and called you to it? I'll quote two scriptures at a time and use quotes... I would love to see how you can deny what they plainly teach! Would you show up if I was on good "evil" behavior ?

keypurr

Jesus said He was God in a way that requires scriptural knowledge and faith. These are the very two things that you are bankrupt of.

Why do you deny that Jesus is YHWH? Do you think you get brownie points for Anti Christ Teaching? Are you aching to meet the false prophet of false prophets? I can say with assurance that he will agree with you and reward you for your understanding...

- EE

Ps ... Your version of God is a cowarding baboon that is too proud to walk among us and command respect through humility. Your spirit son was too afraid to taste the sting of mortal death. You have traded the Lion of Judah for the cub of Judas.

Is. 45:5 ... and yet you call Him a liar! Who is the liar but the one that denies that Jesus came in the flesh. Php. 2:9; 10 ought to be enough for you.

Perhaps if I made a thread and called you to it? I'll quote two scriptures at a time and use quotes... I would love to see how you can deny what they plainly teach! Would you show up if I was on good "evil" behavior ?

Jesus did come in the flesh, and he was given the logos. It s you who deny the truth to please the people around you. Your just a clanging symbol EE. It is not Christ that lies, it is you.

Jesus is not YHWH, he is a human. He has a God. Your understanding of scriture is off base.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Jesus did come in the flesh, and he was given the logos. It s you who deny the truth to please the people around you. Your just a clanging symbol EE. It is not Christ that lies, it is you.

Jesus is not YHWH, he is a human. He has a God. Your understanding of scriture is off base.

God is His own God. There is ONLY ONE.

Isaiah 45:23-25New King James Version (NKJV)

23 I have sworn by Myself;
The word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness,
And shall not return,
That to Me every knee shall bow,
Every tongue shall take an oath.
24 He shall say,
‘Surely in the Lord I have righteousness and strength.
To Him men shall come,
And all shall be ashamed
Who are incensed against Him.
25 In the Lord all the descendants of Israel
Shall be justified, and shall glory.’”

Revelation 5:13-14New King James Version (NKJV)

13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:

“Blessing and honor and glory and power
Be to Him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”[a]
14 Then the four living creatures said, “Amen!” And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.

Romans 14:10-11New King James Version (NKJV)

10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.[a] 11 For it is written:

“As I live, says the Lord,
Every knee shall bow to Me,
And every tongue shall confess to God.”

Ephesians 3:14New King James Version (NKJV)

14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,[a]

Philippians 2:10New King James Version (NKJV)

10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,

keypurr

- EE

Jesus is the flesh son of YHWH, but the Son that he sent is the spirit Son. The one YHWH used to create all with.

You make him what he is not. There is only one God and his name is YHWH. The spirit Son is the first of all creation. He is a created form of God. You have a problem seeing that. God sent his Son, not himself. Scripture is clear that the Son was sent by His and Our God. All power he had was GIVEN to him by his creator.

You have no clue as to thoughts or you would not make such stupid statements about them.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ.

You have much to see EE. But you close your eyes.

I have never shunned away from any thread.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

Right Divider

Body part
Jesus is the flesh son of YHWH, but the Son that he sent is the spirit Son. The one YHWH used to create all with.

You make him what he is not. There is only one God and his name is YHWH. The spirit Son is the first of all creation. He is a created form of God. You have a problem seeing that. God sent his Son, not himself. Scripture is clear that the Son was sent by His and Our God. All power he had was GIVEN to him by his creator.

You have no clue as to thoughts or you would not make such stupid statements about them.

I love the God of my Lord Jesus Christ.

You have much to see EE. But you close your eyes.

I have never shunned away from any thread.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app
The old heretic just keeps on hereticing.

Isa 45:22-23 (KJV)
(45:22) Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else. (45:23) I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth [in] righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Rom 14:10-11 (KJV)
(14:10) But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. (14:11) For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Phil 2:9-11 (KJV)
(2:9) Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: (2:10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth; (2:11) And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Paul says that the LORD Jesus is the LORD God.