The Thud Experiment

Quincy

Quincy...would you mind describing a panic attack? What exactly is it like? Do you just suddenly feel like running away? Is it like a fight or flight type thing?

Well, I was having them as much as 3 times a day at the worst of it. For me what happens is I kind of felt like my brain was on fire, then my vision would turn kind of white-ish. Like it would seem like I was in fog, or looking through dirty glasses. Then my hearing would get distant, my sense of touch would get dull. So as soon as all that kicks in, I would get the flight response deal where I'd have something similar to heart attack symptoms and extreme weakness/fatigue.

The worst was when I was driving. Once, it got so bad it took every bit of will power I had to pull off the road. I could barely see the road everything got so bright whitish and stuff. That was when I went to get help. They helped me change my diet and to start exercising and gave me a beta blocker. I had them here and there for about a week after that then it all started to work. I can feel the need for the bb though when it's about time I normally take some though. My panic attacks were caused by something I think they call "activity stress" because of how hyper I am. It's different than one caused by something emotional or an unexpected incident.

ghost

Hall of Fame
How many of you on this site will admit that you are on medication for some mental "disorder" or "illness"?

I doubt I'll get many honest answers.

Thunder's Muse

I am currently on meds for Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I have been taking them for aprox 1 year now.

Coffee is King

How many of you on this site will admit that you are on medication for some mental "disorder" or "illness"?

Why wouldn't you get honest answers? I'm on Abilify, Risperdal, Carbamazepine, Diphenhydramine, and Lorazepam.

Quincy

Why do believe that?

Most of us know that talking about it is the best way to find peace about it. I take about 75 mgs of atenolol (beta blocker) a day to stop panic attacks. Everything else I experience can be handled with diet and exercise or it doesn't impair functioning.

ghost

Hall of Fame
I know it takes about 90 minutes to watch those videos, but for those willing to watch them, I'd like to discuss this. With those who don't :wave:

Coffee is King

I know it takes about 90 minutes to watch those videos, but for those willing to watch them, I'd like to discuss this. With those who don't :wave:

Can you give us a rundown? I'm sorry but I don't have the attention span to watch over an hour-and-a-half of youtube videos.

Thunder's Muse

Not bad. I had a major depression slump about 6 months after starting it, so they upped my intake and I found it much better.

I didn't want to have to go back on meds but they gave me no choice...probably a good thing considering how unwell I was. Now, I'm quite happy to continue taking them as I don't want to risk a relapse so soon after finishing therapy. All in all, I think they help.

Quincy

Can you give us a rundown? I'm sorry but I don't have the attention span to watch over an hour-and-a-half of youtube videos.

They're about psychiatrists holding fake sessions to prove what they are stating, or just listening to a patient for 20 minutes or so then putting them on drugs. Some times I'm sure that happens but it's not a blanket case scenario for all mental health professionals.

ghost

Hall of Fame
They're about psychiatrists holding fake sessions to prove what they are stating, or just listening to a patient for 20 minutes or so then putting them on drugs. Some times I'm sure that happens but it's not a blanket case scenario for all mental health professionals.
The first video was an experiment that caused a stir in the psychiatric profession because they proved that several "mental" hospitals were fraudulent in their diagnosis.

The 15 part documentary discusses the relationship between psychiatry, the pharmaceutical companies, and the FDA.

A couple of the other videos are of experts in the field discussing how behaviors are not a disease.