The Scourge of White Wealth and Power

PureX

Yeah, its a study based on racism to begin with... and it paints with too broad of a stroke and stereotypes people.

If the same article had come out about people of color, there would be riots.
I agree, in part. I do think it is over-generalizing, and doing so with negative intent. And yet a lot of what is being expressed as being negative characteristics of the iconic "wealthy white family" really are negative characteristics of many wealthy white families. It's certainly not true of ALL wealthy white families, or of all wealthy white people, but it is true enough, of enough of them, to raise legitimate alarm.

Also, we have seen many similar overly generalized accusations leveled at poor black families; that exemplify the same kind of negative bias while also being uncomfortably true in a great many instances. I'm sure you know the ones I mean. You can't miss them, as they are commonplace.

And I find it especially interesting that there is such a surprising sparsity of this negative bias against the "rich white family" in comparison to the endless litany of accusations against the "poor black family". … Lending uncomfortable accuracy, once again, to this particular essay's complaints.

Last edited:

PureX

One piece of advice PureX. If you want people to read the article and actually engage in fruitful discussion don't insult your audience and tone down your self-righteousness and arrogance.
I disagree. I think it takes a direct insult to get most of the people here fired up enough to even read the first few sentences. And that's exactly why I introduced the essay as I did.

You're angry? You want to show me how wrong I am? You're going to have to read at least some of the essay to do that.
There is nothing new in the article. The "rich" have always sought power and control throughout human history. This is not new. And it's not only rich white people. The history of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East is the same, powerful elite wealthy people of color controlling their respective masses of their nations. The article seems to blame try ALL the social ills of black people on rich white people.
"Newness" doesn't really have anything to do with anything, though, does it? The author was not claiming it's a "new" phenomena, nor an exclusive one. What he's really pointing out is how willfully ignorant we all seem to be about this particular form of social pathology, relative to how incredibly damaging and threatening it is to the well-being of our whole society.

And your response is an example of this, as you, too, seem to be completely ignoring the threat, while chasing after some weird tangent regarding it's lack of novelty.

Why did you do that, do you think? Were you 'auto-defending' the rich? Why? You're not rich, are you?

PureX

That's a good question. What to do, besides just being angry about it.
Are we even angry about them? Or do most of us just want to BE THEM? I think it's 50/50. Which is why we continue to blame each other, and do nothing at all.

The Berean

I disagree.
Of course you do. You are one of the most angry and negative TOLers here. You are always whining about the "rich" or "conservatives" or "religious Christians" or whomever disagrees with you. Yet through all your pitiful foolish rants you seldom if ever offer any solutions.

I think it takes a direct insult to get most of the people here fired up enough to even read the first few sentences. And that's exactly why I introduced the essay as I did.
That or you just have an inflated view of yourself. Arrogance and ignorance is not a great combination.

You're angry?
No, I am not.

You want to show me how wrong I am? You're going to have to read at least some of the essay to do that.
I've read the essay twice. As usually the case you are clueless.

"Newness" doesn't really have anything to do with anything, though, does it? The author was not claiming it's a "new" phenomena, nor an exclusive one. What he's really pointing out is how willfully ignorant we all seem to be about this particular form of social pathology, relative to how incredibly damaging and threatening it is to the well-being of our whole society.
Well, you may be willfully ignorant but anyone how has spent some time reading history knows better. Lets be honest here. You don't care about whole society at all do you? You just want to rant.

And your response is an example of this, as you, too, seem to be completely ignoring the threat, while chasing after some weird tangent regarding it's lack of novelty.
No, I am exposing your ignorance of history.

Why did you do that, do you think? Were you 'auto-defending' the rich? Why? You're not rich, are you?
You have a reading problem I see. I challenge you to show me where in this thread I "defended" the "rich". I'll ask again. What are YOU, PureX, going to do about the "rich"? Everybody already knows the answer to my question: "Nothing".

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I stumbled on this essay today, and thought it was interesting.

It was interesting because on the one hand, it is clearly a biased assessment of "rich white families". And yet on the other hand, much of the judgment being leveled, here, is right 'on the money'

Thank you for that example of your confirmation bias.

PureX

I'll ask again. What are YOU, PureX, going to do about the "rich"? Everybody already knows the answer to my question: "Nothing".
Well, at the very least I am going to acknowledge the problem, and the threat it is posing to our nation, rather than blaming the victims.

I'm also going to try and bring this problem to the attention of those who have been making a practice of ignoring it. (You call that "ranting", as though it's a bad thing. Why?)

And I'm going to keep on doing this in spite of the fact that it annoys you, or whomever.

I'm going to vote for and support any political candidate I see who has the courage to speak out against the sickening influence of these rich white families on our political process, our economic process, and on the well-being of millions of people, and I will continue to vote against any politician who does not.

I avoid spending money at places like Walmart (owned by a rich white family that exemplifies everything negative that essay revealed), though it's getting more and more difficult to do when so many commercial businesses are now owned and/or controlled by them.

I do not wish to becomes wealthy and powerful, I don't seek it, and I don't support it or defend it here on TOL, which is more than most TOLers can say of themselves.

And I'm still wondering why you find this all so annoying. Why you auto-defend the rich so quickly, without thinking. You try to defend them by claiming that they are inevitable; that they're always around, making everyone else's life difficult, exploiting everyone else, and that they always will be. So what? We should just accept it? I should stop "ranting" about it? Does inevitability somehow make it OK? Does your assertion of inevitability mean we shouldn't waste our time combatting it?

I don't see what your comments about the inevitability of the sickness of wealth and power do for anyone, except give us an excuse to do nothing about it. To accept it. To ignore it. That's why I asked you why you were defending it.

But I don't think you even know why. I think you were auto-defending it. Were you? Or do you want to be one of them, and just don't want to admit it to yourself?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hasn't the US already had enough of morons with smartphones jumping on police cars demanding "more"?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so what are the rich going to do with their money?
invest it and create jobs?
that is a good thing
spend it on themselves which also creates jobs?
that is a good thing
spend it on taxes and grow the government?
that is a bad thing

Word based mystic

Was my impression Hedges's focus was on the West and the U.S. in particular. And out of curiosity, what global ills do you see being caused these days by powerful, rich black people?:think:

ummm. you imply that the black rich people are inherently less likely to be controlling and cause large scale ills.

you must not have been keeping up with the african nations and their histories of Strongmen and controlling despots. You have but to look what at what a handful of connected powerful men can do without the restraints of a true democratic/republic government to keep things in check.

Africa's nations and it's oppressions and exclusions of the average person from getting justice or opportunities is a prime example of how powerful and rich individuals can limit those that are poor.
Warlords, wealthy elected officials, do the same thing if allowed everywhere.

Of course all wealthy are not so inclined.
It is individuals (always)

please look at the charitable contributions america and it's people put forth. By far the greater giver throughout history.

We can apply that also to the muslim world. Kings and strongmen do the same.

The addition of adding ((White)) to the definition of rich is the problem.

As if white people are (more) predisposed when having or obtaining wealth or power to abuse it more significantly than other races.

POORLY DONE.

HisServant

I agree, in part. I do think it is over-generalizing, and doing so with negative intent. And yet a lot of what is being expressed as being negative characteristics of the iconic "wealthy white family" really are negative characteristics of many wealthy white families. It's certainly not true of ALL wealthy white families, or of all wealthy white people, but it is true enough, of enough of them, to raise legitimate alarm.

Also, we have seen many similar overly generalized accusations leveled at poor black families; that exemplify the same kind of negative bias while also being uncomfortably true in a great many instances. I'm sure you know the ones I mean. You can't miss them, as they are commonplace.

And I find it especially interesting that there is such a surprising sparsity of this negative bias against the "rich white family" in comparison to the endless litany of accusations against the "poor black family". … Lending uncomfortable accuracy, once again, to this particular essay's complaints.

I also think you need to look around the world where people of color are in charge... they tend to be very violent.. they are not intent with just taking money, they are intent with raping, pillaging and killing... every country that is dominated by people with color are not safe places to live (with few exceptions)....

Sure, white people have their issues, but when given the chance, other cultures do not provide as safe a place for their citizens.

See... I can over generalize too.. just like that author.

PureX

I also think you need to look around the world where people of color are in charge... they tend to be very violent.. they are not intent with just taking money, they are intent with raping, pillaging and killing... every country that is dominated by people with color are not safe places to live (with few exceptions)….
Why would I do that when people of color are not in charge all around the world. In fact, they are not in charge almost anywhere in the world, except a few African nations where everyone is 'colored'.

The world is being run by rich white people. Overwhelmingly. So why would I bother focussing on the very few instances where a country is being run by black people? And WHY WOULD YOU BRING IT UP? That's the real question. Why were you auto-defending rich white people by bringing up this irrelevant point?
Sure, white people have their issues, but when given the chance, other cultures do not provide as safe a place for their citizens.
What does this have to do with anything? Are you suggesting we ignore the issue of systematic national and global abuse of wealth and power by white people because a few black leaders are bad guys, too? Don't you see how absurd that is?

The reason we should be concerned by the abuse of wealth and power by rich white people isn not because they're white. And it's not because they're rich. IT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE ABUSIVE PEOPLE! It's because wealth and power corrupts people's character, and causes them to become abusive and exploitive of others, to the degree that they quite willingly starve, main, and kill millions of other human beings for their own pleasure and profit.
See... I can over generalize too.. just like that author.
So, what? Do you think your overgeneralization somehow negates his point? Why are you working so hard at excusing the truth within these generalizations?

Granite

Hall of Fame
you imply that the black rich people are inherently less likely to be controlling and cause large scale ills.

I'd say the warmongering, financial criminality, overall corruption, and guiding hand behind the oligarchs who run the show is overwhelmingly white: there is a predominantly Anglo-Saxon angle to the state of affairs the further you get up the pyramid. If you don't or can't see that for yourself there's not much I can do for you.

you must not have been keeping up with the african nations and their histories of Strongmen and controlling despots. You have but to look what at what a handful of connected powerful men can do without the restraints of a true democratic/republic government to keep things in check.

Well, go back and read what I actually said.

Of course all wealthy are not so inclined.

I'd go so far as to say these altruistic elite you have in mind are very much the exception to an extremely old rule.

The addition of adding ((White)) to the definition of rich is the problem.

Pointing out the ills caused by the white man seems to be your biggest problem. Why?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Killing those who deserve it after they've raped, murdered, and plundered isn't asking for too much.

Yes...Well that's the problem with things like that. Quite often those who don't "deserve it" wind up getting swept away with the flood as well.

Same as it ever was. :plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes...Well that's the problem with things like that. Quite often those who don't "deserve it" wind up getting swept away with the flood as well.

Same as it ever was. :plain:

Then I suppose we should just do nothing and roll over next time they decide to rob us blind.

They all deserve to hang higher than Haman. Shrugging and saying "It wasn't perfect last time" isn't good enough. It could be said they're counting on this kind of attitude.

PureX

Then I suppose we should just do nothing and roll over next time they decide to rob us blind.
Next time? They aren't doing that now? :freak:
They all deserve to hang higher than Haman. Shrugging and saying "It wasn't perfect last time" isn't good enough. It could be said they're counting on this kind of attitude.
I hate to bring up the nazis, but they are a lesson in how doing nothing in the face of evil only results in complicity.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Next time? They aren't doing that now? :freak:

No, no. Quite right. Maybe people aren't angry enough. Maybe it'll take another burst bubble or yet another meltdown. My fear is that the public will very likely blame the wrong people--or will be told to blame the wrong people.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

:think: No but....

:doh: Yeah, but...

I'd say the warmongering, financial criminality, overall corruption, and guiding hand behind the oligarchs who run the show is overwhelmingly white: there is a predominantly Anglo-Saxon angle to the state of affairs the further you get up the pyramid. If you don't or can't see that for yourself there's not much I can do for you.

:plain: Of course they are...In case you haven't noticed Anglo Saxons and various other Western European tribes conquered the whole stinkin' world. This being the case those in the highest power levels are going to be as well. The fact that they are rich and abusive however is not a result of them being white. When other ethnic groups in different parts of the world have held the reigns at different points in history then the result was the same. In this case whitey had done grabbed the whole shebang by about a century ago.
What was cast in place thereafter with the fall of the Royal Families and the rise of the oligarchs has formulated the death of billions of people of color as well as white people.

Pointing out the ills caused by the white man seems to be your biggest problem. Why?

Because whatever ills the "white man" has caused are not germane to the here and now.
The here and now is the oligarchy itself which really doesn't give a rats behind about color but only in maintaining their power base. You wanna formulate an organized revolt against this concept then fine. Hell, I'll even help you set up the :execute:

....But that's not where the animosity is being pointed; is it? Where it's being pointed is at Rich White People™. Is it accurate? Yeop...Those oligarchs are indeed, overwhelmingly, rich white people.

....But in the minds of the greater proletariat, so is good old Ol'fay Fred Miller in his $300K house with his wife and two point five children. You may mean the oligarchs, but Fred and his Family are going to be swept up in this too...Family dog, Prius, Suzie's piano recital and all.

:carryon:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Of course they are...In case you haven't noticed Anglo Saxons and various other Western European tribes conquered the whole stinkin' world. This being the case those in the highest power levels are going to be as well.

Agreed. I think this was Hedges's point, frankly.

The fact that they are rich and abusive however is not a result of them being white.

Perhaps not. Although white man's burden sure seems to be an affliction that's centuries old, persistent, and awfully predictable.

When other ethnic groups in different parts of the world have held the reigns at different points in history then the result was the same.

Not entirely sure about that. Then again, when has any other group grabbed the whole shebang, as you said?

Because whatever ills the "white man" has caused are not germane to the here and now.

This isn't in the past, Tom--it's happening now.

The here and now is the oligarchy itself which really doesn't give a rats behind about color but only in maintaining their power base.

Power is the priority but given their obsession with intermarrying and the like it seems to me race definitely plays a part in all this. Again, the top of the heap is quite Anglo and seems very interested in keeping it that way.

But in the minds of the greater proletariat, so is good old Ol'fay Fred Miller in his $300K house with his wife and two point five children.

And I did touch on this. As a people we rarely get angry at the right people--at least not enough of us don't.