The Pope is Pro-homo, and that's bad

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The only thing you can do with criminals are execution or enslavement?
In Africa before European industrial slavery, enslavement was a punishment that was equal to execution. It wasn't meted out for petty theft for instance.
But I think the most important thing to focus on is that how they were treated is not the biggest issue. The fact that they were property is unacceptable. No circumstance can justify that for me ...
What if their enslavement was voluntary?

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Homo-genital behavior is unethical according to Catholicism. Pope Francis hasn't changed that.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Not true,

Except that it is.

we have a really good understanding of evolution.

Evolutionists don't even have a theory of origins.

How can you have a good understanding if you can't explain where things started?

But in the off chance you are correct then you should go win a Nobel Prize for disproving a well established scientific fact.

I don't know why you people keep making that sort of statement.

I recommend you go look up dinosaur soft tissue.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Evolutionary biologists.

Evolutionary biologists' opinions are the standard for whether the earth is young or not?

Wouldn't that be geologists?

People who study these kind of things for a living.

You mean people who have a vested interest in toeing the evolutionist line to retain their tenure, etc?

I do not care what kind of slavery, all slavery is wrong. It is never okay to own another person as property.

What if they owe someone debt that they cannot pay off right away?

For example, let's say some brat of a kid decides to steal a Rolls Royce and takes it for a joyride, wrecks it, and totals it. He committed theft, and the thing he stole was damaged beyond repair. (Prices for newer model RRs range from $330,000-535,000, well beyond what a teenage brat can afford.) What should the punishment be, according to you?

Would I be offended, no, I would ask for it back though.

But it's mine now. Why should I give it back?

The only thing you can do with criminals are execution or enslavement?

There's also corporal punishment (such as flogging) and restitution (slavery would be used only if the restitution amount is insufficient, as a form of restitution itself).

But I think the most important thing to focus on is that how they were treated is not the biggest issue. The fact that they were property is unacceptable.

You seem to be conflating the forms of slavery.

No circumstance can justify that for me, no matter how well they were treated (in most cases slaves were not valued).

Did you know that slavery as punishment for a crime is still legal in the USA? (13th Amendment, look it up)

Then let God judge it and try minding your own business.

John 7:24

You should read it.

"Them that are without, God judgeth."

You mean persons such as yourself?

RVK

In Africa before European industrial slavery, enslavement was a punishment that was equal to execution. It wasn't meted out for petty theft for instance.

What if their enslavement was voluntary?
Even if someone really wanted to be a slave, I would still think it is immoral. They can work for someone, but not being viewed as human seems all kinds of wrong.

ok doser

Even if someone really wanted to be a slave, I would still think it is immoral. They can work for someone, but not being viewed as human seems all kinds of wrong.
Historically slavery did not view the enslaved as subhuman. That was an artifact of the industrial slavery that was especially prominent in the American South and in the Caribbean. Unfortunately we still bear the scars from that designation of the enslaved negro as a lesser form of humanity.
In many cases, historically, the enslaved person voluntarily entered into servitude in order to survive. In Europe and Russia this was the serf, bound to the land owned by another.
Slavery in Asia had different forms.

RVK

Evolutionary biologists' opinions are the standard for whether the earth is young or not?

Wouldn't that be geologists?
Geologist generally agree on the earth being 4.5 Billion years old. It also makes sense because astronomers have estimated the universe to be over 13 billion years old.
You mean people who have a vested interest in toeing the evolutionist line to retain their tenure, etc?
That isn't how science and scientists work. I am sure that there have been cases of this happening in the past but science is about coming up with the best explanations, no bias.
What if they owe someone debt that they cannot pay off right away?

For example, let's say some brat of a kid decides to steal a Rolls Royce and takes it for a joyride, wrecks it, and totals it. He committed theft, and the thing he stole was damaged beyond repair. (Prices for newer model RRs range from $330,000-535,000, well beyond what a teenage brat can afford.) What should the punishment be, according to you?
I would assume his parents would have to pay for the damages (because he is a dependent), which really sucks. They would definitely have to borrow money or go into debt. Hopefully the parents would make him get a job to pitch in but he shouldn't be forced into labor and unable to be free until he has repaid the debt.
But it's mine now. Why should I give it back?
I am confused about the point you are trying to make? You should give it back because it is not yours and if you care about human prosperity then it is in your and my best interest to not still things from others.

RVK

Historically slavery did not view the enslaved as subhuman. That was an artifact of the industrial slavery that was especially prominent in the American South and in the Caribbean. Unfortunately we still bear the scars from that designation of the enslaved negro as a lesser form of humanity.
In many cases, historically, the enslaved person voluntarily entered into servitude in order to survive. In Europe and Russia this was the serf, bound to the land owned by another.
Slavery in Asia had different forms.
Well if we take a Biblical approach to this it says that slaves can be beaten (but not killed) with no punishment because they are your property. I have issues with indentured servitude that is besides the point right now.

ok doser

Geologist generally agree on the earth being 4.5 Billion years old. It also makes sense because astronomers have estimated the universe to be over 13 billion years old.
Do you know what they base those estimates on?
That isn't how science and scientists work. I am sure that there have been cases of this happening in the past but science is about coming up with the best explanations, no bias.
I worked as a professional scientist for 27 years. Did research, was published - the whole shebang.

Science is NOT about coming up with the best explanations, no bias. That is a middle school understanding of science and it's wrong.

Professional science is about writing grant proposals and getting funding for your research.

RVK

Do you know what they base those estimates on?

I worked as a professional scientist for 27 years. Did research, was published - the whole shebang.

Science is NOT about coming up with the best explanations, no bias. That is a middle school understanding of science and it's wrong.

Professional science is about writing grant proposals and getting funding for your research.
I believe there are several methods but I will admit I am not a scientist. I am curious to know what field of science you worked in and if your work was biased. I would assume that getting funding helps us get a better understanding of things... but if that isn't the case then how does this process work?