The Musicians Lounge

fzappa13

I think that's a really interesting thing to ponder. I have a fine art background. Degrees from top art schools. And even thought it's focussed on visual arts, I'm sure it colors my appreciation of music, greatly. One of the things I like about jazz is that it's 'smart'. But how am I perceiving that? Do others perceive it as I do? If we talked about it, I think they are, at least to some degree.

I've been dodging this for a while and maybe now is the time to brace it ... I think the creative impulse is expressed in many ways and they are all legitimate in their own way and draw from the same wellspring, as it were, be it music, art, sex or any other creative endeavor.

I could tell you why a painting or a sculpture is smart, honest, good, bad, or whatever. And I could make an effort at doing so with music, but I doubt I'd hear what a fine musician hears. And I know I couldn't articulate it the way they could.

I respectfully disagree for the reasons stated above ... except for the articulating part.

We do each experience art in our own way. No doubt. And yet I think we do also have a universal experience of it. Because we agree at least as much as we disagree about the experience, when we share it with others.

Depending on whether or not you like Madonna ;)

And a good example, too. When I was young, I loved 'Aqualung', and 'Thick As A Brick'. But I haven't listened to them in many years, and have little desire to, now.

I saw them play "Thick as a Brick" when it came out. After they finished Anderson said immediately' "And now for our next song". :chuckle: funny stuff.

It's not the music that changed, of course, it's me.

Yeah, time does that to you.

fzappa13

You have my sympathy. Mozart was as close as that form ever came to jazz.

Put down the single malt.

We'll differ here. I think there is what you can get from art as pure experience and what you can get from it as you understand the forms...and you can get a great deal from Frost or Sandburg without having waded into literature deeply, but you'll never understand what Eliot meant to tell you until you do.

I think Monk is like Eliot. Davis is Whitman. Coltrane is Angelou.

You had me in your palm until Angelou.

Any sighted man with a heterosexual bone in his body, to begin the list. :)

Good answer (assuming your wife was looking over your shoulder)

fzappa13

Angels. Mozart is unadulterated inspiration.

A bit precocious but such is the nature of youth ... unlike Single Malt.

Go with Thomas then.

As a card carrying Scotch/Irishman Burns has got to enter into this somewhere.

Wouldn't matter. She's dazzling. :)

I was gonna say aren't they all ... and then I went to Walmart ... evidently one man's trash is another man's treasure.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg7zod_women-shoppers-of-wal-mart_fun

Last edited:

Daniel1611

I'm a huge fan of jazz and blues. I love Coltrane and Davis, but my favorite guy in jazz is Cab Calloway. When I was younger and was getting into blues and, by extension, jazz, I saw a documentary that had films of Cab Calloway and I always thought he was great. A great singer, bandleader and showman with great songs and a great band. Calloway could bring down the house.

shagster01

My band gets to open for a huge act in front of about 15,000 people in a few weeks. I wish I could tell you all more about it, but there is too much personal info involved for the internet. Maybe I'll post some pictures after it happens.

We are excited about this opportunity though. We got to open for Elvin Bishop earlier this year.

shagster01

My band gets to open for a huge act in front of about 15,000 people in a few weeks. I wish I could tell you all more about it, but there is too much personal info involved for the internet. Maybe I'll post some pictures after it happens.

We are excited about this opportunity though. We got to open for Elvin Bishop earlier this year.

Enough time has passed. . .

We got to play with the Steve Miller Band! It was very fun!

PureX

Congrats, and 'break a leg', dude!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fun thread!
20 some years ago I was taking lessons from a pretty accomplished jazz guitarist. I made a little progress but never got to the place where I could get a consistent F chord. I finally decided I didn't have the manual dexterity four a 6 string so I bought a baritone uke, in the hope that fewer strings would make my life easier. I ended up putting that down too.

This spring I decided to dust off my Uke and give it another go. I found a video about "open tuning" that inspired me to believe I could have some fun with my uke

NQ1hZcQScKc

and it also led me down a pretty fun path, I just built my first 3 string cigar box guitar and I am starting to get some pretty cool sounds out of it. Actually I built this one out of in Ipad box, but the tone is really amazing!
images

fzappa13

Strolling down memory lane tonight I somehow felt inclined to revisit Todd Rundren's "Hiroshima".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJtXTXOOtwI

(warning ... F bomb)

I remember writing a piece of music one night that my neighbor across pasture heard and remarked later that it was the saddest thing she had ever heard ( I had a Marshall half stack so it was kinda hard to avoid). I titled it "The Last Flight of the Enola Gay".

fzappa13

Sure have. I am thinking about building one of those too!

hMpplUpH4qA

Bizarre ... nice wood on the neck and I'm glad he knows to use glass instead of metal when sliding. Eventually you've got to get past the 1, 4, 5 though. You can do it ... even with a two string. Funny, I always thought 5 string basses an affront ... or, maybe better said, too much of a good thing. All you really need is 4 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8q6sR6yZCE

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bizarre ... nice wood on the neck and I'm glad he knows to use glass instead of metal when sliding. Eventually you've got to get past the 1, 4, 5 though. You can do it ... even with a two string. Funny, I always thought 5 string basses an affront ... or, maybe better said, too much of a good thing. All you really need is 4 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8q6sR6yZCE

Just 2 or 3 strings is kind of nice for an old guy who didn't learn to play when he was young.