"The Marijuana Industry's Dirty Little Secret"

Status
Not open for further replies.

musterion

Growers have turned to pesticides — such as myclobutanil, which breaks down into an asphyxiant that can cause various forms of sickness when burned, and the insecticide imidacloprid — that have been used on such ornamental crops as roses and Kentucky bluegrass, as well as edible crops in regulated amounts, according to Easley.

But no long-term studies of the effects of inhaling those chemicals by smoking them have been conducted, according to experts. Pesticide use on marijuana crops, meanwhile, has been “rampant,” according to Brian Smith, communications director for the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board, even as the health implications remain unclear.

“There’s no research on what any of this means,” said Smith.

http://nypost.com/2016/03/04/the-marijuana-industry-has-a-dirty-little-secret/

Greedy sellers selling poisons to stupid greedy stoners. Who coulda predicted it.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://nypost.com/2016/03/04/the-marijuana-industry-has-a-dirty-little-secret/

Greedy sellers selling poisons to stupid greedy stoners. Who coulda predicted it.
Could turn out to be a real problem with inhaling pesticides by smoking.

Most any crop needs pest control, even our food crops.
Many of those foods can be washed before consumption (like fruits and vegetables).
But things like grain and tobacco products can't be washed before consumption.

I don't know what grocery stores do about inspecting crops for too much pesticide.
Even with government regulations, there is just not enough man power to check every crop brought in.

It truly is a buyer beware situation.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The Colorado Department of Agriculture has identified and published a list of "minimum risk pesticides" that pose little or no risk to human health (18) and are allowable for use on marijuana during cultivation. Eagle 20 (myclobutanil) is not on this list, but the absence of regulatory oversight has contributed to its widespread use in marijuana cultivation in Colorado.

Federal guidance is unlikely, given the legal status of marijuana. It falls on Colorado to build on the guidelines issued by the CDA to implement more stringent regulation, including pesticide residue testing, to prevent tainted product from reaching the open marketplace and consumers.

-- http://www.coloradogreenlab.com/blo...ntext-of-cannabis-cultivation-and-consumption

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The drug pushers could put rat poison in the pot and the dopers wouldn't care. I offered a cough drop to a young woman the other day that was having a coughing fit. After she declined, I asked her if she had been smoking dope, to which she replied "yes". There's already enough harmful chemicals in marijuana,
http://adai.uw.edu/marijuana/factsheets/respiratoryeffects.htm

adding pesticides to it is just another nail in the proverbial coffin.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I offered a cough drop to a young woman the other day that was having a coughing fit. After she declined, I asked her if she had been smoking dope, to which she replied "yes". There's already enough harmful chemicals in marijuana,
http://adai.uw.edu/marijuana/factsheets/respiratoryeffects.htm

Did you think to ask her if she smoked tobaccy? There's already ennough harmful chemicals in tobacco, http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/whatsinit.htm

Newman

Why is this issue special to marijuana? Consumer demand may dictate that marijuana growers use some sort of pesticide over another, or even none at all.

This is the same with any good. Grocery stores have a large, lower-priced produce section, and a smaller, higher-priced organic section. Consumers decide, based on their own preferences, which account for taste, risk, willingness to pay, social factors (like boycotting a firm that uses a particular production process they don't like), and all sorts of things.

Newman

It's an awfully Leftist, big-government sort of thing to regulate a thing for "the citizen's own good". The premise is that individuals don't know what's best for them and so the nanny state must protect us from ourselves.

Modern so-called "conservatives" are not conservative. Modern so-called "liberals" are not liberal. They are all big-government Leftists.

PureX

It's an awfully Leftist, big-government sort of thing to regulate a thing for "the citizen's own good". The premise is that individuals don't know what's best for them and so the nanny state must protect us from ourselves.

Modern so-called "conservatives" are not conservative. Modern so-called "liberals" are not liberal. They are all big-government Leftists.
Sure, because big capitalist corporations would never sell anyone a harmful product, for the sake of profit.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Did you think to ask her if she smoked tobaccy? There's already ennough harmful chemicals in tobacco,...

Why? She admitted that the coughing is from pot use. Should I have a list on hand of other irritants to the lungs that she might have used so that you'll feel better about your drug the next time I run across a similar situation?

You seem to think that those who smoke dope automatically smoke cigarettes. Not so. The idea behind marijuana (which I recall you saying you don't use because it's harmful) is to get hiiiiigh so that you can escape the realities of this world.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

In a society that espouses godly values, it's the government's duty to protect it's populace from godless Libertarians such as yourself Newman.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't know what the effects of the pesticides will be.
But I know I'm going to use the pesticides as a scare tactic to my grandchildren as another reason to avoid the use of marijuana.
So I'm glad for the info.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
But I know I'm going to use the pesticides as a scare tactic to my grandchildren as another reason to avoid the use of marijuana.

Since the legalization of marijuana here in WA State, I see a lot of youth standing out on public sidewalks smoking pot. I tell the boys that marijuana use can lead to testicular cancer:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/study-links-marijuana-use-to-testicular-cancer

and you should see the look of horror on their faces. The idea of possibly losing the use of a much cherished part of the body doesn't appeal to neither the boy who is smoking the poison, nor to his girlfriend who will later in life undoubtedly want enjoy all of the 'benefits' of marriage.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since the legalization of marijuana here in WA State, I see a lot of youth standing out on public sidewalks smoking pot. I tell the boys that marijuana use can lead to testicular cancer:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/study-links-marijuana-use-to-testicular-cancer

and you should see the look of horror on their faces. The idea of possibly losing the use of a much cherished part of the body doesn't appeal to neither the boy who is smoking the poison, nor to his girlfriend who will later in life undoubtedly want enjoy all of the 'benefits' of marriage.
Ooooo, I'll use that one too!

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Ooooo, I'll use that one too!

Since you are going that route you might as well show them this movie too.....Pretty much along the same lines. :juggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.