the life and times of Resodko

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
i'll soon be going back to intermittent internet access, so i thought i'd create a thread to keep in touch with those who might be interested in what i'm up to

almost done with the move from the burbs - two or three small trailer loads left - a pile of lumber and a project garden tractor

still living at the cottage with my folks - they go home in a week and a half and we close the place up (shutter, pull the water lines and drain everything) in a month

slow progress on making the old farmhouse liveable - finally emptied the house, located the water lines into the basement and i think i've found the septic tank - got the ok from the town and county code guys to go ahead with what i'm doing

slowly sorting out my shop - i know where most everything is, even if i can't get to it

been focused the last week and a half on job searching - making connections up here, talking to former co-workers/supervisors from the dim past to get references/recommendations - but it's all been good and there's a couple of strong prospects that would pay very well and a couple of lesser prospects that would pay enough.

spent a hectic week scrambling to get in a college application that came due a month earlier than i had thought, but i got that done and now i'm just waiting - should hear in two weeks if i'm accepted

cut a lot of trees and brush and hauled it all off to the dump and picked up a ton of crap off the grounds - there's debris everywhere - the previous owner was a compulsive hoarder and the guys who ran the auction after his death just tossed stuff out the windows but it's coming along

and i've made some friends at the public library where i do a lot of my computer work - one of them is a quite fetching young lady half my age - we enjoy chatting when the library's empty - not sure if it's going anywhere, but i'm glad to have her as a friend

talked to some friends about their churches up here - while the area is heavily catholic, there's some presbyterian and baptist pockets here and there. and of course. the amish :)

and i've enjoyed just being at the river - i just had my morning coffee on the front dock with the old beagle at my feet, watching the geese and ospreys, listening to the fish jump and watching the ore boats pass

praise God, life is good :wave:

Last edited:

zoo22

and i've made some friends at the public library where i do a lot of my computer work - one of them is a quite fetching young lady half my age - we enjoy chatting when the library's empty - not sure if it's going anywhere, but i'm glad to have her as a friend

Where would it go? To creepy?

I thought you're married.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
i'll soon be going back to intermittent internet access, so i thought i'd create a thread to keep in touch with those who might be interested in what i'm up to

almost done with the move from the burbs - two or three small trailer loads left - a pile of lumber and a project garden tractor

still living at the cottage with my folks - they go home in a week and a half and we close the place up (shutter, pull the water lines and drain everything) in a month

slow progress on making the old farmhouse liveable - finally emptied the house, located the water lines into the basement and i think i've found the septic tank - got the ok from the town and county code guys to go ahead with what i'm doing

slowly sorting out my shop - i know where most everything is, even if i can't get to it

been focused the last week and a half on job searching - making connections up here, talking to former co-workers/supervisors from the dim past to get references/recommendations - but it's all been good and there's a couple of strong prospects that would pay very well and a couple of lesser prospects that would pay enough.

spent a hectic week scrambling to get in a college application that came due a month earlier than i had thought, but i got that done and now i'm just waiting - should hear in two weeks if i'm accepted

cut a lot of trees and brush and hauled it all off to the dump and picked up a ton of crap off the grounds - there's debris everywhere - the previous owner was a compulsive hoarder and the guys who ran the auction after his death just tossed stuff out the windows but it's coming along

talked to some friends about their churches up here - while the area is heavily catholic, there's some presbyterian and baptist pockets here and there. and of course. the amish :)

and i've enjoyed just being at the river - i just had my morning coffee on the front dock with the old beagle at my feet, watching the geese and ospreys, listening to the fish jump and watching the ore boats pass

:wave2: Good luck with the move and job stuff.

What are you going back to school for?

Definitely go for the Amish. :cow:

The river sounds grand. :thumb:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Yeah...I like, drove back and forth to work and stuff.

...an' I wen to the grocery store too...I think. :plain:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
great interview, toured the site with the manager, sat and talked for an hour with the supervisors - i was there more than two hours all told

and now i play the waiting game...

kmoney

Hall of Fame
great interview, toured the site with the manager, sat and talked for an hour with the supervisors - i was there more than two hours all told

Waiting can be terrible. Hope good news goes your way. :cheers:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

If the interview goes long that is usually a good sign. They are interested in you. ;)

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Waiting can be terrible. Hope good news goes your way. :cheers:

no news is good news i guess - i got the interview on the recommendation of the ceo and one of the board members so i assume they're just trying to find room in the budget for me

i don't come cheap :chuckle:

gotten past the anxiety of waiting, spent an awful lot of time caulking the cottage - thirty tubes so far and at least two more to go - tomorrow's supposed to be a nice day for it

rigged up a shower in the boathouse - i haul buckets of water up to the cottage for dish washing and flushing the terlet and the beagle - heat one on the stove and haul it back down to the boathouse, up a ladder and dump it in an overhead reservoir i made and mounted up above the hoist mechanisms - back down the ladder, strip down, reach up, open the valve and wet down, close the valve, lather up, open the valve and rinse off - it's quite comfortable while it's running - a bit brisk while towelling off - still, much better than what we used to do while camping

also, lots of weatherstripping, lots of heat shrink window insulation, carpet at least one layer thick everywhere, mounted my dartboard...

still have two boats going - i'll be out on the water tomorrow for sure

the freighters are running hot and heavy - trying to beat the end of the season - they close the seaway the end of december - that's when i'll shutter the windows i haven't yet and i'll put up the big shutters on the porch, hunker down for the cold - record low up here was -43 in january 1994 - i was working outside that night on the shore until 3 am - the ice was creaking and popping and groaning - overnight it went from just skim ice on the shore to iced over all the way across - mind you, it's over two hundred feet deep in the middle with a strong current and about a mile across

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
boarded up and weatherstripped, alas

if i was going to be there longer than a couple months, i'd put in a woodstove

but it's a summer cottage (110 years old) and everything i'm doing to it will be undone in the spring