The cigar lounge

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Knight, while in Florida I tried the Brickhouse brand you told us about, it was really good. I brought home two for later. :thumb:

elohiym

Tupperware will work until you decide to buy a humidor. ... I not sure about the apple but, I would suggest either a humipac's from your local tobacconist or just a small piece of sponge or florist foam wetted with distilled water.

Thanks. I was planning to do what Knight suggested with the damp sponge, only in a Tupperware container to prevent accidental breakage. I will look into the advantages of a humipac versus a damp sponge.

Do you have any beverage recommendations for the Mrs. and I to drink with our Padrons?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thanks. I was planning to do what Knight suggested with the damp sponge, only in a Tupperware container to prevent accidental breakage. I will look into the advantages of a humipac versus a damp sponge.
Humidipaks are the best. They can't damage the cigar and they keep a steady humidity.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

Do you have any beverage recommendations for the Mrs. and I to drink with our Padrons?

I love Port wine with maduros especially with Padrons. The Mojito's work well too. I like something sweet with a maduro it only enhances the experience. While I was in Florida one of the other guests at the hotel brought a bottle of Glennfiddich 20Yr old single malt scotch down to the tiki bar/pool area that had been in the freezer. He gave me a glass with my cigar and it was wonderful.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Humidipaks are the best. They can't damage the cigar and they keep a steady humidity.

This was the first time I had seen them Knight, I threw one in the ziplock with the cigars I was transporting home that i could not get into my tupperware container. It did a fine job. :thumb:

elohiym

I love Port wine with maduros especially with Padrons. The Mojito's work well too.

I like Port. I've never tried a Mojito. If a waitress came up to me right now, though, I would order two Mojitos for my wife and I. Definitely want to try that drink. But... Since I have to buy the ingredients for the Mojito and mix it myself, and having no familiarity with the drink to know if it will meet my wife's tastes, I'll likely end up with a simple bottle of Port for our first smoke. Feel free to recommend a label unless you think any Port will do.

Then I'll go with those. Thanks.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I like Port. I've never tried a Mojito. If a waitress came up to me right now, though, I would order two Mojitos for my wife and I. Definitely want to try that drink. But... Since I have to buy the ingredients for the Mojito and mix it myself, and having no familiarity with the drink to know if it will meet my wife's tastes, I'll likely end up with a simple bottle of Port for our first smoke. Feel free to recommend a label unless you think any Port will do.

You know Elo I usually drink a local port made here on the central coast in CA. this will be very hard for you to find but, most of the imported ports from Portugal are very good. If you want to spend $25 you can buy one called "Six Grapes" which is very good or you can spend about $15 for "Sandeman Reseve" and it is also quite good. I would just say to stay away from really cheap wine, it will only give you a headache. Enjoy!

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Tonight I am trying a new one, this is a Trinidad torpedo that I bought in Florida on the recommendation of the tobacconist. It is absolutely fabulous. A true cigar smoker knows what they like but, is always trying something new. There are so many cigars out there nowadays, some good, some not so good but, you will never know until you try them. If you see the Trinidads I would definitely try them they are awesome, I'm glad I bought two, the guy raved so much about them I thought I should, good choice. This is a very smooth, creamy, nutty flavored cigar, not quite as bold as a maduro but, still has good flavor, draw, and a plentiful abundance of creamy smoke with every draw. This is truly a fine cigar.
View attachment 16409

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I like Port. I've never tried a Mojito. If a waitress came up to me right now, though, I would order two Mojitos for my wife and I. Definitely want to try that drink. But... Since I have to buy the ingredients for the Mojito and mix it myself, and having no familiarity with the drink to know if it will meet my wife's tastes, I'll likely end up with a simple bottle of Port for our first smoke.
You can buy pre-mixed mojitos at the liquor store, and they are pretty good. :up:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I have a Trinidad in my humidor that I have been waiting to try. Now I want to try it even more. :)

I really enjoyed this cigar, I think you will too. It is always hit or miss when trying something new but, variety is the spice of life right ? :D

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It was.

Ha! 600 posts in the cigar lounge. Next thing you know, we will pass the Open Theism part 1 thread.

Nice! Here goes 601

Tonight's treat is another cigar that I puchased while in Florida. I bought quite a few cigars I had never heard of on the recommendation of the tabacconist I made friends with there. Anyhow tonight it's the Fonseca Cubano Limitado, this cigar has a real oily sheen for a natural wrap, nice construction, not too veiny. It kind of has a sweet leathery flavor with light pepper taste, it is really quite nice. Good draw and a decent amount of smoke on the draw. The ash does not hold as well as I like but, all in all it is a very good smoke.
View attachment 16414

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Are you referring to the veins on the leaves they use to wrap the cigar? Just guessing.

Yes, your correct in your assumption here. I'll address your questions below.

Why does the amount of veins matter? Curious.

It is really not the amount but, how large the veins are. Sometimes they are very thick which can produce an uneven burn or just an ugly look. The best cigars you will ever smoke have very small veins on the wrapper, for the most part. I have smoked some rutty looking cigars that were very good. It really is more of a cosmetic thing.

How do you like the ash to hold and why?

I wish I could explain why but, I can say you do not want a flaky ash or one that drops before your ready to let it go. The best cigars will hold a tight white/grey ash for up to an inch. Holding a longer ash helps to keep the burn cool as not to get a bitter taste from it burning too hot.

Got a pic of what you would call a perfect ash?

I will get you one, it's kinda late right now and I have to work in the morning but, I will remember to get one out there to you.

I hope I answered your questions if not feel free to redirect. Some of the others on this thread may be able to even explain better. See Ya Elo, cigars are a fun hobby I hope you enjoy the experience, I know I do...:D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Holding a longer ash helps to keep the burn cool as not to get a bitter taste from it burning too hot.
Bingo!

I like to think of the ash on a cigar like a cooling fin on a engine. Think of a lawn mower engine. A lawn mower engine is not water cooled, it's air cooled. A lawn mower engine's head is generally covered with cooling fins. These cooling fins draw heat from the engine and then allow the air to cool the engine. Cooling fins work because they offer more surface area for the air to come in contact with therefore dispersing more heat.

The ash on the cigar works the same way. The more ash there is the more the burning cherry on the cigar is able to disperse the heat into the air. The more heat that is carried away from the cherry the cooler the cigar will burn in general.

Another thing the ash does to keep the cigar cool is to act as a "cover" for the cherry so that breezes of wind don't stoke the flame of the cherry.

I'm not sure how scientifically accurate all that is but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :D

When we are smoking as a group the guy who currently has the cigar with the longest ash is "king", and when the kings ash falls off a new king is crowned.