The Birth Control Thread

Sozo

Originally posted by firechyld

Oh, come on.... male birth control pill? Anyone?
It's very effective...

Here's how it works:

You both get into your pajamas, put on some soft music, have a glass of wine, and then...

...your wife puts on a Hillary Clinton mask?

keypurr

from Turbo Sadly, most people do not know that these products sometimes act as abortifacients. But from time to time we bring it up here on TOL. Last year, tdkay and his wife ceased using "the rod" upon learning about this risk. If you read this thread, you saw that Lovejoy's wife stopped using "the patch" based on what he learned here. And I pray that if you have been using any of these products, that you will research the risks and cease using them.

At my age (69), I am out of touch with birth control. Thanks for the information. However I think most people on birth control do not intentionaly perform abortion. They do have a right to be reasonable in planning their families. I think God would look at the intent of the heart when judging them.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by keypurr

However I think most people on birth control do not intentionaly perform abortion.
All the more reason why we should get the word out so that people know the risk.

They do have a right to be reasonable in planning their families.
There are plenty of alternatives that do not risk killing an unborn child.

I think God would look at the intent of the heart when judging them.
If someone would not want to risk killing children, then they ought to be told about the risks of these products.

We are to hold back those stumbling to the slaughter, and to love our neighbors as ourselves. And I know that if I were doing something that could result in killing my child, I would want to know about it rather than remain ignorant.

Lovejoy

Bleah. Good advice, moral clarity, peace between brothers on an issue. Boring!

Thank God for boring...

firechyld

I had an argument the other day with someone on another board regarding the birth control/abortion thing.

As I've explained on another thread, I've been on one of the "combined pills" from a very early age for medical reasons. It's one of those pills that are designed to prevent ovulation, but that change the uterine lining as well. If an egg IS produced and fertilised, it is unable to implant.

The individual I was talking to insisted that I was committing some sort of sin simply by taking the pill... even though I am not on it for reasons of birth control, and even though I use condoms anyway. His argument was that IF the pill failed to work AND the condom broke, a fertilised egg could be rejected and I would hence have technically aborted a foetus.

Does anyone else think this is going a little too far? The odds of both those things happening at the same time are astronomical.

Sozo

Originally posted by firechyld

I had an argument the other day with someone on another board regarding the birth control/abortion thing.

As I've explained on another thread, I've been on one of the "combined pills" from a very early age for medical reasons. It's one of those pills that are designed to prevent ovulation, but that change the uterine lining as well. If an egg IS produced and fertilised, it is unable to implant.

The individual I was talking to insisted that I was committing some sort of sin simply by taking the pill... even though I am not on it for reasons of birth control, and even though I use condoms anyway. His argument was that IF the pill failed to work AND the condom broke, a fertilised egg could be rejected and I would hence have technically aborted a foetus.

Does anyone else think this is going a little too far? The odds of both those things happening at the same time are astronomical.

Perhaps you might want to start with the fornication issue first.

:sigh:

firechyld

That's not the purpose of this thread.

If it really bothers you that much, then consider the question in the context of my marriage.

While I was married, I was on the combined pill and using condoms. Refer to previous post for the rest of my point.

keypurr

firechyld, I don't judge you.

I only worry about my own sins.

I think you know in your heart what is right and wrong. You do not need us to tell you.

firechyld

firechyld, I don't judge you.

I think you know in your heart what is right and wrong. You do not need us to tell you.

Thanks, doll. I appreciate the sentiment.

keypurr

Wow, I haven't been called doll before. Does that make me an empty headed plaything at my age.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by keypurr

You only worry about where you're going... kind of selfish, don't you think? Or maybe apathetic would be a better word.

keypurr

Lucky, I never thought of it that way. You may be right. Now ya got my mind in gear. Hope it is not reverse.

keypurr

OK, I will worry about everyones sins. Now the rest of you can relax and stop judging people.

firechyld

Wow, I haven't been called doll before. Does that make me an empty headed plaything at my age.

Nah, it's just my generic reference for people. Some people use "dude" or "man". *shrug*

And the sentiment I thanked you for was the polite concern you expressed, even while telling me that you weren't judging me. It's clear you were expressing something nice, without either condemning or condoning. Thank you. :)