Theology Club: The Beginning of the Present Dispensation Was at Acts 13

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Where do you find any of that in the Scriptures?

He was 13 years in the wilderness between being called and his appearance with Barnabas at Antioch...he wasn't darning socks for 13 years...and he relates that in direct relation to his gospel not having come from the other apostles...read Galatians

Jerry Shugart

He was 13 years in the wilderness between being called and his appearance with Barnabas at Antioch...he wasn't darning socks for 13 years...and he relates that in direct relation to his gospel not having come from the other apostles...read Galatians

Where in the Scriptures do we read about Paul being 13 years in the wilderness?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Where in the Scriptures do we read about Paul being 13 years in the wilderness?

I beg your pardon it was 3 years in Arabia....

But when it pleased God to reveal His Son in me that I might preach Him to the Gentiles immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood

Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me but I went into Arabia and returned again to Damascas.

It was during that time He learned the gospel.

Jerry Shugart

But when it pleased God to reveal His Son in me that I might preach Him to the Gentiles immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood

Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me but I went into Arabia and returned again to Damascas.

I see nothing there that even hints that he was in Arabia for three years.

Danoh

Actually, sis, what the Apostle Paul relates is that he (1) went into Arabia, (2) returned to Damascus, (3) and after three years he went up to Jerusalem.

Galatians 1:

11. But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
13. For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14. And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
15. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,
16. To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
17. Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.
19. But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
20. Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.

When what he says there - and elsewhere - is both properly understood, as well as properly compared with what Luke relates in Acts 9, its becomes obvious that Paul's stewardship began in Acts 9.

By the way, I'm not sure if you are aware of this about your views, but many of them strike me as those of Acts 2 Dispensationalism.

Just an observation, as, other than said observation, I think I will continue to exchange with you per the following passage as a general operating principle, or rule of thumb:

Romans 14:

4. Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? To his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he
that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

22. Hast thou faith? Have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
You see that there is a gap of time between Paul's first call and his meeting the other apostles, Paul elates this to show that he did not receive his gospel from them...but this period of learning preceded his being separated by the Holy Spirit with Barnabas for what would be his life work.

I say the new dispensation began at the cross, no other place. Each new covenant God makes is sanctified by blood. Dispensation is merely the way in which the covenants are administered. Dispensation, administration, ministry all have the same meaning.

heir

TOL Subscriber
:jawdrop:
No shocker coming from TL. She often refers to those who believe that there are many gospels in the Bible as stupid, saying stupid things...it's really all she has as she clings to the lie of only one gospel throughout.

Jerry Shugart

No shocker coming from TL. She often refers to those who believe that there are many gospels in the Bible as stupid, saying stupid things...it's really all she has as she clings to the lie of only one gospel throughout.

Of course I do not agree with TL but can you tell me what was being preached to the Jews when this gospel in "bold" was preached to them?:

"But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter" (Gal.2:7).​

In other words, when Peter preached the gospel of the circumcision to the Jews what did he tell them?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Of course I do not agree with TL but can you tell me what was being preached to the Jews when this gospel in "bold" was preached to them?:

"But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter" (Gal.2:7).​

In other words, when Peter preached the gospel of the circumcision to the Jews what did he tell them?
Read Acts 2. The gospel of the circumcision is basically the gospel of the kingdom (Matthew 10:6-9 KJV) minus the timing (Acts 1:7 KJV) plus the who of Jesus Christ and that God raised Him from the dead (which is the gospel of God).

Jerry Shugart

Read Acts 2. The gospel of the circumcision is basically the gospel of the kingdom (Matthew 10:6-9 KJV) minus the timing (Acts 1:7 KJV) plus the who of Jesus Christ and that God raised Him from the dead (which is the gospel of God).

When Paul went to the synagogues shortly after being saved he preached the "who" of Jesus Christ, right":

"And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God...proving that this is the very Christ" (Acts 9:20,22).​

And the Jews who believe that truth received life when they were born of God, right?:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:31).​

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1-5).​

This is so simple and it proves that the Jews who lived under the law were saved by faith and faith alone.

It is beyond me why many of those in the Neo-MAD community continue to argue that a Jew who lived under the law could only be saved by faith plus works.

You can see that it only took "faith" for them to be saved, can't you?

heir

TOL Subscriber
When Paul went to the synagogues shortly after being saved he preached the "who" of Jesus Christ, right"
Notice how JS asks what Peter preached and then immediately jumps to what Paul preached, but okay, let's go there too!

Of course Paul preached in the synagogue that Jesus was the Christ. Why wouldn't he? Don't think for one minute though that the gospel of God is what established them. We can see clearly from scripture that it is the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) that establishes

Romans 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;

Romans 1:12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

Romans 1:13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.

Romans 1:14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.

Romans 1:15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

Romans 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Romans 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

Want more? Timothy was a fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, which did what?:

1 Thessalonians 3:2 And sent Timotheus, our brother, and minister of God, and our fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith:

Jerry Shugart

It's faith plus works all the way to the end for them and you know it, JS! So you want me to post everything they have to do again?

Then why do none of the verses which I quoted say anything about works?

All I can see from you is the fact that your final authority is not the Bible but instead the teaching within the Neo-MAD community. and that is why you refuse to believe these verses which prove that BELIEVING that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, brings life when being born of God:

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:31).​

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1-5).​

Neither of those passages say anything about doing "works" in order to receive life by being born of God.

Notice how JS asks what Peter preached and then immediately jumps to what Paul preached...

So you do not think that Peter taught the "who: of Jesus on the day of Pentecost?:

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ" (Acts 2:36).​

Last edited:

SaulToPaul 2

1 John 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 John 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.