SUPREME COURT EXTENDS GAY MARRIAGE NATIONWIDE

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
aren't you comfortable with one republican and four democrats?
I don't have a horse in the dem vs rep race. The last guy I wanted to see in the White House was a republican, but I wasn't pushing for him because of that. Anyway, I think it would have been better for your party if Roberts had moved with the majority. Wouldn't have changed the outcome but it would have helped you with people not already entrenched on the right side of the issue.

...Marriage is a sacrament, a union of a man and a woman in God's name. The government should stay completely out of it.
It does stay out of the religious aspect. It can't else, because the union has issues that will be brought before it in the event of dissolution. So the state has one contract, a contract not a living soul needs to apply for in order to wed religiously or consider themselves so situated and one that can be and has been entered into by who knows how many people without dragging the least religious sentiment into it.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It isn't hidden. It's in all sorts of places you'd expect to find it, churches and the lives of adherents.
Which is why the leaders are in a competition to see who can wreck the country the slowest.

It's just not in the wind. The whole issue has been rightly portrayed as a matter of public morals and the prevailing sentiment in America is that it's one of those things that shouldn't be legislated.
Yes, it should. Homosexuality should be a crime. Homo marriage should be a non-sequitur.

There are any number of paths to hell and the majority are completely legal.

Nope. There is only one path to hell. However, it is legal.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's going to kill when someone actually argues that point, Stripe. You should save that one. It's a keeper.

In this case the ruling expands liberty to one group while denying nothing to any other. :plain:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who speaks with such authority about American affairs without even living in this country.

You nailed it here--the ruling gives to many, but takes nothing away from anyone.

drbrumley

What If the Rainbow Flag Offends Me?

If the Confederate flag must be taken down because it offends someone, then can rainbow flags be taken down if they offend me? Of course not. Wanting to take them down would make me a bigot and a homophobe.

Thanks Laurence for that insightfulness.

Granite

Hall of Fame
What If the Rainbow Flag Offends Me?

If the Confederate flag must be taken down because it offends someone, then can rainbow flags be taken down if they offend me? Of course not. Wanting to take them down would make me a bigot and a homophobe.

Thanks Laurence for that insightfulness.

The analogy holds no water at all.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Which is why the leaders are in a competition to see who can wreck the country the slowest.
I suppose you could argue that entropy will eventually have its way. That's one perspective, but I don't share it. I think we've always been an uneven proposition and we'll keep doing our best to level the thing out, likely never quite getting it completely right.

Yes, it should. Homosexuality should be a crime. Homo marriage should be a non-sequitur.
We don't have a state run by any one religion here, which has worked out well enough for every religion here.

You're just being contentious.

There is only one path to hell. However, it is legal.
It depends on how you approach the aphorism.

drbrumley

The analogy holds no water at all.

Sandi Cauley

CBS 6 Executive Producer

6:11 p.m. EDT, June 1, 2011 RICHMOND, VA— It's not unusual to see flags flying beside a downtown Richmond building, but on Wednesday CBS 6 answered several phones calls after drivers saw something different. Below the flag of the United States was a rainbow striped flag - the flag that represents gay pride.

A call to the Richmond Federal Reserve confirmed the change. Sally Green, Chief Operating Officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, said the flag is flying in honor of Lesbian and Gay Pride month, that started on June 1.

Excuses, excuses. Yes its dated a few years, but the point is it is on a government building. So you have no reaction but, "well, it's ok."

drbrumley

How Long Will It Be?

Laurence M. Vance

How long will it be before pastors, ministers, priests, and rabbis are sued, fined, and/or imprisoned for refusing to perform same-sex weddings?

How long will it be before marriages between three people, groups of people, brothers and sisters, two sisters, two brothers, fathers and daughters, mothers and sons, or men and dogs are judged to be constitutional rights?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Sandi Cauley

CBS 6 Executive Producer

6:11 p.m. EDT, June 1, 2011 RICHMOND, VA— It's not unusual to see flags flying beside a downtown Richmond building, but on Wednesday CBS 6 answered several phones calls after drivers saw something different. Below the flag of the United States was a rainbow striped flag - the flag that represents gay pride.

A call to the Richmond Federal Reserve confirmed the change. Sally Green, Chief Operating Officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, said the flag is flying in honor of Lesbian and Gay Pride month, that started on June 1.

Excuses, excuses. Yes its dated a few years, but the point is it is on a government building. So you have no reaction but, "well, it's ok."

Noooo, my actual reaction was that there's no comparing the two.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How on Earth does this slay religious liberty?
You don't have to get gay married and you can still get straight married.
Do you think churches will be able to not perform gay weddings? That hasn't worked out too well for the cake shops.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How long will it be before pastors, ministers, priests, and rabbis are sued, fined, and/or imprisoned for refusing to perform same-sex weddings?
Here? It would run afoul of a great deal of precedent. I think it would take a lot of legislation and I'm not sure that any of it would fly.

How long will it be before marriages between three people, groups of people, brothers and sisters, two sisters, two brothers, fathers and daughters, mothers and sons, or men and dogs are judged to be constitutional rights?
Too muddled. There are all sorts of legitimate state interests tied to maintaining the ban on incestuous relationships being embraced. Animals can't give consent, a cornerstone of contract in any form. Polygamy? That may be a tougher one to forestall, though given the complications arising in the involvement of state in division of kids and property and the historic problems relating to coercion and other concerns it's far from a sure thing, even in the long view.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Do you think churches will be able to not perform gay weddings? That hasn't worked out too well for the cake shops.
Way different ballpark. A baker isn't in the idea of selling a particular ideology to anyone. He's in the business of providing a service and can't deny service absent a legitimate business interest being served (no shoes, no shirt, no service, by way of).

A minister in a church where the product is a particular religious view, wherein homosexuality is in opposition to it, could if pressed (and that pressing is the precedent unlikely to be abridged) simply note that to do so would be to fundamentally work a harm to that product, severing something fundamental to the nature of his business.

So you think churches will have the liberty to deny gay wedding services after this ruling?
Absolutely.

musterion

Remember how homosexual activists were said to have gone around specifically looking for businesses to deny their requests? I'll wager anyone on TOL that within thirty days from now, we'll hear of a homosexual couple that went to a pastor asking him to "marry" them and were denied. The point will be to start yet another uproar and force the pastor - and others - to cave.

I further predict that in order to get the biggest bang for their buck, they'll go for the most Bible only fundamentalist type pastor they can find, rather than one of the mainline denominations or an evanjellyfish that might have a 50/50 of performing the rite anyway. The refusing pastor will be horrifically vilified in the nationwide media, leading to his condemnation from various religious types and calls for legislation to somehow enforce the compliance of any church so asked.

Any takers?

Christian Liberty

Remember how homosexual activists were said to have gone around specifically looking for businesses to deny their requests? Within thirty days from now, I'll wager anyone on TOL that we'll hear of a case of a homosexual couple that went to a pastor asking him to "marry" them and were denied. The point will be to start yet another uproar and force the pastor - and others - to cave.

I further predict that in order to get the biggest bang for their buck, they'll go for the most Bible only fundamentalist type pastor they can find, rather than one of the mainline denominations or an evanjellyfish that might have a 50/50 of performing the rite anyway. The refusing pastor will be horrifically vilified in the nationwide media, leading to his condemnation from various religious types and calls for legislation to somehow enforce the compliance of any church so asked.

Any takers?

I'm not going to take the wager, since you are right.