Should governments execute murderers?

Should governments execute murderers?

• OTHER - Explain below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Real Sorceror

Aww man, now that I listen to Balder and Granite, I kinda regret my origonal zeal over wantin' to kill people. Anyways, the person should be killed as humanely as possible. Executing someone violently and cruely just makes you more like the murderer.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Granite said:
So you're not interested in a bona fide discussion, you just want the pot stirred. Nice attitude.

While we're on the subject of savagery how do you feel about Deuteronomy 25:11-12?

Nice freudian slip, incidently...

I'm trying to keep the discussion going. I am interested in your viewpoint. I am for swift, brutal execution. It appears that you are for swift, comforting execution. I don't see why an advocate of the death penalty would want it to be a "kind" death. You believe the guy should die right? You believe it should deter right?
What is a better deterrent? Knowing you'd be brutally stoned or knowing you'd be forced to submit to painless lethal injection?
An answer of they'd both deter the same would be acceptable if that's what you actually believe.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Real Sorceror said:
Aww man, now that I listen to Balder and Granite, I kinda regret my origonal zeal over wantin' to kill people. Anyways, the person should be killed as humanely as possible. Executing someone violently and cruely just makes you more like the murderer.

Can't any of you see what an oxymoron "humane death penalty" is?

The death penalty must be considered humane in one way only: to the society that has suffered the acts of the perpetrator who is deserving of capital punishment. That's it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
death2impiety said:
I'm trying to keep the discussion going. I am interested in your viewpoint. I am for swift, brutal execution. It appears that you are for swift, comforting execution. I don't see why an advocate of the death penalty would want it to be a "kind" death. You believe the guy should die right? You believe it should deter right?
What is a better deterrent? Knowing you'd be brutally stoned or knowing you'd be forced to submit to painless lethal injection?
An answer of they'd both deter the same would be acceptable if that's what you actually believe.

Stoning is not swift, although the brutality it's got. Why do you favor a "swift" execution, anyway? If your intent is to scare the daylights out of your victim why not make it brutal and slow? Beheading is swift and brutal. Do you favor beheading? A shotgun at point blank range is swift and brutal. You favor that? Why do you think "swiftness" is so important?

Wouldn't a slow, agonizing, hideous execution be an even BIGGER deterrent? Yes or no.

And if you don't want executions to be kind, well, you know where that leads us...

By that rationale, screw stoning! Let's burn people alive, all over again. Let's put them on the wheel. Hell, man, let's just start crucifying people all over again. Stoning? For chumps. Screw stoning! Crucify him. Brutal, long, agonizing. Now there's a heck of a deterrent. We'll flog you, then nail you to a piece of wood. Or break your bones and spool you on a wheel. Or cut you to death like the Chinese and Japanese used to do.

Questions for the class that I'd appreciate a straight answer to:

You ever seen footage of a stoning?

Who still stones people?

Why should execution be "swift"?

Why should execution be "brutal"?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Dread Helm said:
We shouldn't torture them, but they should experience some of what their victim experienced. A brutal death.

What if you're dealing with someone who raped and tortured his victims?

Why is brutality necessary? Why the blood lust?

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Granite said:
Death is the greatest sanction, for crying out loud. Deliberate brutality degrades you and the victim.

Okay, that viewpoint is acceptable to me. I disagree heartily but I understand you better now.

I'm a Christian so I try to adhere to what the Bible says. I don't expect you to agree with me on this one. (Deut 22:24)

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Granite said:
What if you're dealing with someone who raped and tortured his victims?

Why is brutality necessary? Why the blood lust?

"Blood lust" is a straw man. The purpose of brutality is deterrence.

Granite

Hall of Fame
death2impiety said:
Okay, that viewpoint is acceptable to me. I disagree heartily but I understand you better now.

I'm a Christian so I try to adhere to what the Bible says. I don't expect you to agree with me on this one. (Deut 22:24)

The Bible also says women's hands should be cut off and they can be burned alive, from time to time.

I await your responses to my latest post, at least...

Real Sorceror

death2impiety said:
Can't any of you see what an oxymoron "humane death penalty" is?

The death penalty must be considered humane in one way only: to the society that has suffered the acts of the perpetrator who is deserving of capital punishment. That's it.
No, its not an oxymoron. Killing someone brutality means you are killing someone more out of hate and anger than out of justice. Brutal, public executions might also lead to people enjoying it or even celebrating. That is not something I would encourage. It sounds far too dangerous.

Granite

Hall of Fame
death2impiety said:
"Blood lust" is a straw man. The purpose of brutality is deterrence.

If that is the case I'm awaiting your response to post 46 with bated breath.

And this thinking is positively hideous once you take it to its logical conclusion. I sincerely don't believe you thought this through. If so, you're simply a sick and twisted soul.

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Real Sorceror said:
No, its not an oxymoron. Killing someone brutality means you are killing someone more out of hate and anger than out of justice. Brutal, public executions might also lead to people enjoying it or even celebrating. That is not something I would encourage. It sounds far too dangerous.

No, you are using the same straw man that Granite did. A brutal death penalty is not carried out out of hate. The more brutal the penalty the better the deterrence. Don't get me wrong, it is possible to go too far. Torturing the guilty for days or even more than 1 minute or so without the intent to kill them would be evil. SWIFT. BRUTAL. DEATH. To protect the innoncent. No?

death2impiety

Maximeee's Husband
Granite said:
Stoning is not swift, although the brutality it's got. Why do you favor a "swift" execution, anyway?

I favor swift because it's what God calls for in the Bible.

Questions for the class that I'd appreciate a straight answer to:

You ever seen footage of a stoning?

No. that's why I said drop a 2 ton pay load of rocks. It seems more swift that a traditional stoning.

Who still stones people?

No idea.

Why should execution be "swift"?

It's Biblical.

Why should execution be "brutal"?

It's Biblical.

One question to you:
What are the two purposes of the death penalty?
1)
2)

JoyfulRook

Real Sorceror said:
celebrating the death of a murderer is ok. It can be sad to in a way, but it's ok to celebrate,

Real Sorceror

death2impiety said:
No, you are using the same straw man that Granite did. A brutal death penalty is not carried out out of hate. The more brutal the penalty the better the deterrence. Don't get me wrong, it is possible to go too far. Torturing the guilty for days or even more than 1 minute or so without the intent to kill them would be evil. SWIFT. BRUTAL. DEATH. To protect the innoncent. No?
You are also impling that people would be watching this? Do you really want people to see someone get beheaded or hanged? Its not pretty. People should not watch such things. Whats so bad about a simple injection? Its just as scary to the condemed, and as you said, they are going to die anyway.