Shopper flaunting his gun in checkout line shoots himself in the groin

eider

I am responsible to prepare for any threat to my life or limb (and that of my family). You aren't. I have the right to prepare in the best way that I know how. If that means guns, then I have a right to guns. You offer no solutions, you only want to infringe my right to prepare to defend my life or that of my family.

No.
I have taken reasonable steps to secure our persons and home. But I wonder if you have.

And I have offered reasonable steps for safer gun use..... You just didn't read them.

And you are not insured for third party risks, so a bad mistake by you could lose everything.

But tell me, what risks have you prepared for?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
What an extreme position. The facts say otherwise. But, of course, the MSM paints a terrible picture of police that is not completely accurate.

The CBC is still mis-reporting George Floyd's suicide as a murder or a killing. They probably always will.

Glock guys completely disagree but this is one of the distinct risks with them, due to the absence of something like a thumb safety

Revolvers don't have thumb safeties. Many semi-automatics like those from Springfield Armory, Sig Sauer, HK, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Glocks, etc. don't have thumb safeties because they are striker-fired, not hammer-fired. The Glock was safe until the shopper took off the 3rd safety by having his finger depressing the safety which is embedded in the trigger. You never put your finger on the trigger unless you want to shoot which also requires aiming.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
...the safety which is embedded in the trigger...
Right, and that is the risk with the Glock. If ever for any reason (like when going to draw the thing) you accidentally put your booger hook inside the trigger guard and pull, it will fire, and there's nothing like a thumb safety (or a grip safety) to stop this from occurring. This actual accident has happened numerous times to innocent and conscientious folks. And there are a lot of "polymer" guns out there now that do have some sort of other safety mechanism.

I'm not arguing for one or the other. In times when you need to shoot, it's absolutely advantageous to not have to worry about disengaging any safety, so I'm not saying that Glocks are inherently more dangerous, just that there is a risk associated with the Glock that is due to this lack of any form of safety like a thumb or grip safety.

Right, and that is the risk with the Glock. If ever for any reason (like when going to draw the thing) you accidentally put your booger hook inside the trigger guard and pull, it will fire, and there's nothing like a thumb safety (or a grip safety) to stop this from occurring. This actual accident has happened numerous times to innocent and conscientious folks. And there are a lot of "polymer" guns out there now that do have some sort of other safety mechanism.

This is true for ALL revolvers too! Because of patents, other companies have had to come up with other methods to duplicate the Glock safety without infringing on their patents. Police departments and armies around the world accept the Glock as Gaston Glock designed it. On the other hand, I wanted something even safer than that. I added an aftermarket safety called the Sliderlock. I'm a mechanical design engineer and was designing my own aftermarket safety. When I saw the Sliderlock, I purchased it and gave up all ideas of designing my own 4th safety. I install my own Sliderlocks on all my Glocks. My wife prefers the 4th safety on her Glocks so I make them all the same.

Because of the use of MIM parts, you can't always depend on your gun being functional. That's why Glocks have been chosen by many police departments around the country. When the San Antonio Police Department were testing various handguns. The two that came out on top were Glock and Sig. They then threw the guns in the air and hit them with baseball bats to get them to discharge (presumably with a blank). The Glock never discharged but the Sig did. Theoretically, the Sig should not have discharged but it did. Holsters, IWB, are highly recommended for concealed carry, and OWB, for open carry.

I'm not arguing for one or the other. In times when you need to shoot, it's absolutely advantageous to not have to worry about disengaging any safety, so I'm not saying that Glocks are inherently more dangerous, just that there is a risk associated with the Glock that is due to this lack of any form of safety like a thumb or grip safety.

A lot of people that shoot 1911s disengage their grip safety because it's unreliable unless the gun has the "speed bump" which typically only be found on more expensive 1911s. Don't get me wrong, I like and have several fine examples from Colt and Sig Sauer. I had a Springfield Armory 1911A1 but used it as a trade-in on a Sig P220, .45 ACP.

I was 42 years old before I owned and fired my first gun (1992). I had a Christian friend go with me to a gun shop to examine various guns. I had done my research, got a budget from my wife and then was all set. I was debating between a Ruger with a manual safety and the Glock which had three internal safeties. The Glock just felt perfect in my hand. I was going to buy the 9mm version but the lady behind the counter told me when she shot in competition, the 9mm didn't always knock down the metal plates even though the shot was true, so she switched to .40 S&W. Same price for just a different caliber. So the Glock 22 (.40 S&W) was my first gun, first of many.

Idolater

This is true for ALL revolvers too!
I know.
Because of patents, other companies have had to come up with other methods to duplicate the Glock safety without infringing on their patents. Police departments and armies around the world accept the Glock as Gaston Glock designed it. On the other hand, I wanted something even safer than that. I added an aftermarket safety called the Sliderlock. I'm a mechanical design engineer and was designing my own aftermarket safety. When I saw the Sliderlock, I purchased it and gave up all ideas of designing my own 4th safety. I install my own Sliderlocks on all my Glocks. My wife prefers the 4th safety on her Glocks so I make them all the same.
Cool.
Because of the use of MIM parts, you can't always depend on your gun being functional. That's why Glocks have been chosen by many police departments around the country.
Because . . . Glock doesn't use MIM? Or Glock does use MIM but even so their guns are head-and-shoulders more reliable than everybody else's pistol offerings?
When the San Antonio Police Department were testing various handguns. The two that came out on top were Glock and Sig. They then threw the guns in the air and hit them with baseball bats to get them to discharge (presumably with a blank). The Glock never discharged but the Sig did. Theoretically, the Sig should not have discharged but it did.
All quality 1911s (and there are tons of them out there, only some of which you mentioned in your next paragraph below) pass that test too, even if they're the Series 70 without the firing pin block. Fact remains for Glocks (unless you augment them as you and your wife do) if ever anything threaded through the trigger guard and then fell the wrong way the trigger can be pulled and a round discharged. And for that matter if this were to discharge one round, with the gun fumbling around under its own power with something stuck in its trigger guard, and the recoil energy of the first round discharging, it might well fire a second round too.

Can't happen with the quality 1911, even with the thumb safety disengaged because of the grip safety. And of course with the thumb safety engaged the thing just will not fire even if a stick or a peg or a hanger or whatever threaded right in and jammed against the trigger. I have at the range disengaged the thumb safety and pulled with all my might to pull the trigger, without disengaging the grip safety and it wouldn't yield.

And also like a Glock the quality 1911 can take a beating and yet will still fire. This has to do with everything from the rounds being standard ball and the feed ramp being ground to spec and the spring in the magazine, the gun is a system and all its critical parts must be made to spec with the right metal, but if this is all so (i o w, a quality 1911) then the 1911 is every bit as reliable as a Glock.

Glocks though have the inherent advantage over 1911s in their capacity. The nines can hold 17 rounds +1, and even their full size .45s can hold more than the ten-round limit so popular in gun-control-drunk states like mine (MA). Meanwhile the 1911 just works with its standard seven +1 design although eight-round mags as reliable as the seven-round mags are easier to come by more than they used to be, but those 10-round extended mags, along with being too long and looking silly, I'm not sure they're as reliable as the seven-rounder.

So you can't go with the 1911 if you think capacity is prior once you've established that reliability and safety are on a par. A loaded pistol and one spare mag makes the capacity difference between the two of them (Glock 17 vs. single-stack 1911) kind of ridiculous, kind of like the difference in how much ammo troops can carry with the 5.56 (.223) vs. the 7.62 .30-caliber. Our Army and Marines went with the M16 and never looked back. Probably people should do that with the Glocks too.

Which is why it's important to note the inherent risk to them. If you're mechanically inclined and interested in doing it, you've found a third-party device to add a safety mechanism to the gun, but most people aren't going to do that, so the question for me comes down to capacity vs. this specific safety risk.
Holsters, IWB, are highly recommended for concealed carry, and OWB, for open carry.
This doesn't have anything, to do with anything, why did you write this? Seems like something that should have been cut in editing but it evaded detection.
A lot of people that shoot 1911s disengage their grip safety because it's unreliable unless the gun has the "speed bump" which typically only be found on more expensive 1911s.
Extended grip safety, yep. There are a few other tweaks to Browning's 1911 design (the year 1911) that are regularly packaged in quality 1911 (the gun) offerings from all the gunmakers, including Sig and Colt but also now Ruger and Smith. But you are right that some people have done that to the grip safety. Nobody wants to get into a gun fight, injure your hand or something, and then not be able to shoot because of that. Do you know if soldiers or Marines ever disabled their grip safeties on their .45s? (Obviously this would have been before they all went with 9-mm Berettas.)
Don't get me wrong, I like and have several fine examples from Colt and Sig Sauer. I had a Springfield Armory 1911A1 but used it as a trade-in on a Sig P220, .45 ACP.

I was 42 years old before I owned and fired my first gun (1992). I had a Christian friend go with me to a gun shop to examine various guns. I had done my research, got a budget from my wife and then was all set. I was debating between a Ruger with a manual safety and the Glock which had three internal safeties. The Glock just felt perfect in my hand. I was going to buy the 9mm version but the lady behind the counter told me when she shot in competition, the 9mm didn't always knock down the metal plates even though the shot was true, so she switched to .40 S&W. Same price for just a different caliber. So the Glock 22 (.40 S&W) was my first gun, first of many.
First handgun I ever fired was a Glock 17 or 19, I'm not sure. I don't like the more forward cant, which is, as you know, not something you can do anything about. :(

Last edited:

Gary K

Banned
Well, why is it that you have so many licences rules and laws, eh??

Chuck them all away and just have ffreeloader 'responsibility'!

Daft!
I'll take liberty over tyranny every time. Your love of tyranny is plain to see.
"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins.

Ben Franklin

I know.
Cool.
Because . . . Glock doesn't use MIM? Or Glock does use MIM but even so their guns are head-and-shoulders more reliable than everybody else's pistol offerings?
All quality 1911s (and there are tons of them out there, only some of which you mentioned in your next paragraph below) pass that test too, even if they're the Series 70 without the firing pin block. Fact remains for Glocks (unless you augment them as you and your wife do) if ever anything threaded through the trigger guard and then fell the wrong way the trigger can be pulled and a round discharged. And for that matter if this were to discharge one round, with the gun fumbling around under its own power with something stuck in its trigger guard, and the recoil energy of the first round discharging, it might well fire a second round too.

Can't happen with the quality 1911, even with the thumb safety disengaged because of the grip safety. And of course with the thumb safety engaged the thing just will not fire even if a stick or a peg or a hanger or whatever threaded right in and jammed against the trigger. I have at the range disengaged the thumb safety and pulled with all my might to pull the trigger, without disengaging the grip safety and it wouldn't yield.

And also like a Glock the quality 1911 can take a beating and yet will still fire. This has to do with everything from the rounds being standard ball and the feed ramp being ground to spec and the spring in the magazine, the gun is a system and all its critical parts must be made to spec with the right metal, but if this is all so (i o w, a quality 1911) then the 1911 is every bit as reliable as a Glock.

Glocks though have the inherent advantage over 1911s in their capacity. The nines can hold 17 rounds +1, and even their full size .45s can hold more than the ten-round limit so popular in gun-control-drunk states like mine (MA). Meanwhile the 1911 just works with its standard seven +1 design although eight-round mags as reliable as the seven-round mags are easier to come by more than they used to be, but those 10-round extended mags, along with being too long and looking silly, I'm not sure they're as reliable as the seven-rounder.

So you can't go with the 1911 if you think capacity is prior once you've established that reliability and safety are on a par. A loaded pistol and one spare mag makes the capacity difference between the two of them (Glock 17 vs. single-stack 1911) kind of ridiculous, kind of like the difference in how much ammo troops can carry with the 5.45 (.223) vs. the 7.62 .30-caliber. Our Army and Marines went with the M16 and never looked back. Probably people should do that with the Glocks too.

Which is why it's important to note the inherent risk to them. If you're mechanically inclined and interested in doing it, you've found a third-party device to add a safety mechanism to the gun, but most people aren't going to do that, so the question for me comes down to capacity vs. this specific safety risk.
This doesn't have anything, to do with anything, why did you write this? Seems like something that should have been cut in editing but it evaded detection.
Extended grip safety, yep. There are a few other tweaks to Browning's 1911 design (the year 1911) that are regularly packaged in quality 1911 (the gun) offerings from all the gunmakers, including Sig and Colt but also now Ruger and Smith. But you are right that some people have done that to the grip safety. Nobody wants to get into a gun fight, injure your hand or something, and then not be able to shoot because of that. Do you know if soldiers or Marines ever disabled their grip safeties on their .45s? (Obviously this would have been before they all went with 9-mm Berettas.)
First handgun I ever fired was a Glock 17 or 19, I'm not sure. I don't like the more forward cant, which is, as you know, not something you can do anything about. :(

I had a point-by-point response to your post, but I hit the wrong key or something and lost it all. It would bore most people anyhow. In order of my handgun preference: Glock; CZ; Sig Sauer; Walther; etc. I bought a 9mm Taurus PT-92SF instead of Beretta because of all the failures the Army reported in the first Middle East War. Our soldiers in the field switched to Glocks and Sigs which could handle the sand. Beretta has since fixed their metallurgical problem but the military is again switching to another gun manufacturer. This time, it will be Sig Sauers made in the USA. I read that some wanted the Glock (which came in second) but the decision was made for Sig. I have no experience with it but I'm sure it is good and similar to the Gen 5 Glocks in that it is striker fired. If you have a holster instead sticking a handgun in your belt, the "perceived problem" with the safety disappears.

eider

I'll take liberty over tyranny every time. Your love of tyranny is plain to see.

Are you in favour of defunding the police forces?
Obviously you must be.

And clearly you don't believe in paying out for homeland security or your armed forces.

I think I can see what you believe in now........ anarchy?

Idolater

I had a point-by-point response to your post, but I hit the wrong key or something and lost it all.
I'm going to use that one sometime.
It would bore most people anyhow. In order of my handgun preference: Glock; CZ;
The Czech Republic is surprisingly pro-gun among all the nations of the world, in case you hadn't heard. Better than the Swiss, and the Swiss are pretty good, so that's really saying something. I mean, no other country is in the same category as us, don't get me wrong, but if there were a notable second place it might be the Czechs.

I have no experience with CZ guns though. What do you like about them?
Sig Sauer; Walther; etc.
Isn't Sig and Walther like the same gunmaker? They're related or associated somehow aren't they?
I bought a 9mm Taurus PT-92SF instead of Beretta because of all the failures the Army reported in the first Middle East War. Our soldiers in the field switched to Glocks and Sigs which could handle the sand.
I didn't know Army could just up and substitute a personal sidearm for their standard issue.
Beretta has since fixed their metallurgical problem
Hadn't heard about that.
but the military is again switching to another gun manufacturer. This time, it will be Sig Sauers made in the USA. I read that some wanted the Glock (which came in second) but the decision was made for Sig. I have no experience with it but I'm sure it is good and similar to the Gen 5 Glocks in that it is striker fired.
I'm sure it's striker fired yes.
If you have a holster instead sticking a handgun in your belt, the "perceived problem" with the safety disappears.
If you have a solid kydex holster that covers the trigger guard over entirely I'd imagine it would minimize the chance of problems, yes. And it is not just a "perceived problem", you are just a Glock guy.

Gary K

Banned
Are you in favour of defunding the police forces?
Obviously you must be.

And clearly you don't believe in paying out for homeland security or your armed forces.

I think I can see what you believe in now........ anarchy?

LOL. Your addiction to logical fallacies stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm going to use that one sometime.
The Czech Republic is surprisingly pro-gun among all the nations of the world, in case you hadn't heard. Better than the Swiss, and the Swiss are pretty good, so that's really saying something. I mean, no other country is in the same category as us, don't get me wrong, but if there were a notable second place it might be the Czechs.

I have no experience with CZ guns though. What do you like about them?
Isn't Sig and Walther like the same gunmaker? They're related or associated somehow aren't they?
I didn't know Army could just up and substitute a personal sidearm for their standard issue.
Hadn't heard about that.
I'm sure it's striker fired yes.
If you have a solid kydex holster that covers the trigger guard over entirely I'd imagine it would minimize the chance of problems, yes. And it is not just a "perceived problem", you are just a Glock guy.

I wanted a CZ from the first time I had my hands on one at a gun show. I had to settle on a clone, an EAA Witness, accurate but unreliable. No gun feels better in my hand than a CZ-75. They are extremely accurate because the slide runs inside not outside the frame. This lowers the bore axis, reduces muzzle flip, combining with great ergonomics, it's a pleasure to shoot. They weren't available until the Iron Curtain fell. The polymer CZs are made in Kansas City. Some have external safeties.

Sig Sauer and Walther are separate companies. Sigs, I think, were originally made in Switzerland then Germany. Walthers were made in Germany and France. I think my Sigs are all German except maybe my 1911s. Three of my Walthers were assembled in Florida, from German parts by a company called Interarms. The first time my wife shot her PPK/S, she looked at the target provided, saw that it was about a half inch off center, made the adjustment, and shot a perfect bullseye at 15 yards, first shot. I'm not that good.

The story about Berettas failing when President George Bush Sr. was in charge of the Kuwait War was quite well known from gun magazines. How they got approval to use other guns I don't know.

I use leather holsters for my Glocks, kydex for my CZs. I don't carry my Sigs, I will eventually carry my smallest Sig Sauer P238 which is a .380 ACP. I think I have a leather holster for it. I also have a Sig P232 in black and one in stainless steel. Beautiful handguns and accurate, but I don't plan on carrying either one.

Last edited:

Idolater

He is nothing if not amusing.
All of his or her bluster on the matter of "reasonable" infringements of our rights in this matter, all come from a place of remarkable experience with firearms for a civilian. Eider has fired many different varieties of handguns, including revolvers, and many different varieties of long guns, including shotguns, carbines, and rifles of very many varieties themselves. Eider owns multiple handguns and long guns as well, keeps a good stock of rounds of every caliber he or she uses, and has experience carrying or wearing a gun basically every day for decades, as a matter of course. Eider also has not only trained at shooting ranges numerous times but has identified and practices numerous methods of shooting, including offhand, seated, on one knee, and prone, along with double-taps and the rapid site reacquisition of Miculek. Eider's thought into firearms is extensive, and goes so far as to imagine how to survive in a surprise gun fight, in the possible if not likely scenario that he or she is shot and injured, so he or she considers how to prepare to remain able to defend himself or herself in that scenario.

:plain: