Sessions met with Russian envoy 2X last year, encounters he later did not disclose!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
If "glorydaz" had taken the time to read the full article he would have known that of the 20 senators on the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee who responded to their poll, none had met with the Russian Ambassador once, let alone twice.

Every member of the government, who in their official capacity meets with a representative of a foreign power, is obliged to report such contacts - why didn't Session's report them?

When I first heard the explanation that he met as the member of that committee I thought it was pretty reasonable, though I still thought he should have mentioned it during the nomination hearings and understand why it would seem a bit shady considering the circumstances. But seeing this, that no one else met with the Russian Ambassador, makes it worse.

Jerry Shugart

The question asked Sessions was whether or not he had met with any Russians in regard to a discussion about the election. And he answered "no" and these is absolutely no evidence that he lied!

NONE!

musterion

The now-dead and damned to the Lake of Fire Teddy Kennedy, a sitting senator, begged the USSR to interfere with a U.S. election. The Left had no problem with that and still do not.

Selective outrage. Ignore it.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The now-dead and damned to the Lake of Fire Teddy Kennedy, a sitting senator, begged the USSR to interfere with a U.S. election. The Left had no problem with that and still do not.

Selective outrage. Ignore it.

So basically what you're saying is that Donald Trump and company are following in the footsteps of Teddy Kennedy.

Now that I think about it, Donald and Theodore have a lot in common...

WizardofOz

Couldn't have been more narrow? :confused: The quote you gave mentioned the 2016 election.

The quote I supplied was an additional q&a between Sessions and Leahy. The Franken q&a was rather general. Sessions says "I did not have communications with the Russians". Yet, now we know he did.

Watch the video embedded on page 1

Keep in mind this is intelligence from an employee of a branch of of IC. It's not just CNN going fishing.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The quote I supplied was an additional q&a between Sessions and Leahy. The Franken q&a was rather general. Sessions says "I did not have communications with the Russians". Yet, now we know he did.

Keep in mind this is intelligence from an employee of a branch of of IC. It's not just CNN going fishing.

I heard the Franken dialogue earlier. I was just confused based on your quote and your response.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm watching CNN and the host brought this up to a Democratic rep. He dodged and she tried to press saying that in both cases it's a lie. The rep said the difference is being under oath. I guess lying only matters under oath. :idunno:

It matters all the time.

I don't know if there's a politician out there who can be trusted.

jeffblue101

how is this discussion general?

Franken: Okay. CNN has just published a story, and I’m telling you this about a news story that’s just been published. I’m not expecting you to know whether or not it’s true or not. But CNN just published a story alleging that the intelligence community provided documents to the president-elect last week that included information that, quote, “Russian operatives claimed to have compromising personal and financial information about Mr. Trump.” These documents also allegedly say, quote, “There was a continuing exchange of information during the campaign between Trump’s surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government.” Now, again, I’m telling you this as it’s coming out, so you know. But if it’s true, it’s obviously extremely serious, and if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do? Sessions: Senator Franken, I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I didn’t have — did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it.

Sessions: Senator Franken, I’m not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I didn’t have — did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it.

nowhere did Franken ask Sessions if he had contact with the Russians in the general, it was narrow to the topic of the fake dossier. in fact Democrats had until the confirmation vote to ask Sessions a follow up question that was general on any contact with Russians while working as a senator, instead they asked Sessions a very narrow question

jeffblue101

The Perjury Allegation against Jeff Sessions Is Meritless

In context, Sessions obviously meant that he did not have communications with the Russians in the capacity of a surrogate for the Trump campaign and that he was unable to comment on the explosive allegations in the dossier. Manifestly, he was trying to say that he did not believe that Franken’s outline of the dossier provided any basis for him, Sessions, to recuse himself from any potential investigation. He was not saying that in his capacity as a United States senator, unrelated to the Trump campaign, he had never had any contacts with Russian officials.

It is fair enough for critics to maintain that Sessions should have been clearer. But if we consider this matter not as a political dispute but a potential perjury prosecution, then the burden was on Franken, not Sessions, to be clearer. The witness’s obligation, as a matter of perjury law, is to refrain from willfully providing testimony that is both false and intended to deceive the tribunal. The burden is on the questioner to remove all doubt or ambiguity by asking exacting follow-up questions.

Jerry Shugart

In case you forgot it, this is the court of public opinion.

Yes, and the public will see that there will be no evidence provided that proves that Sessions is guilty. Then they will turn on the Democrats because the Democrats continue to do nothing but play political games.