Satanic Temple Wants Followers to Force Christian Bakers to Make a Cake to ‘Honor...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Satanic Temple Wants Followers to Force Christian Bakers to Make a Cake to ‘Honor Satan’

SALEM, Mass. — The Massachusetts-based Satanic Temple, out of its dissatisfaction with Christian-owned bakeries that decline to make cakes celebrating same-sex “weddings,” is now asking its followers to force bakers to make a cake for Satan.

The group says that it came up with the idea in light of the Masterpiece Cakeshop case soon to be considered by the U.S. Supreme Court.

ecause sexual orientation is not a protected class under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, (whereas race and religion are), there is a good chance that the right to discriminate against gay couples will be affirmed as a constitutional liberty,” it wrote.

Out of the Satanic Temple’s fears that the court will likely rule in favor of the cakeshop, it has asked that those “who feel alienated or oppressed by the privileged status that religion holds over sexual orientation” contact religious bakers and order a cake to “honor Satan.”

It asserts that the bakeries will not be able to say no since religion is considered a federally-protected class.

“Because religion is a protected class, a baker may refuse service to LGBTQ people, but they may not refuse service based upon someone’s religion. If they aren’t willing to make a cake for same-sex unions, let’s have them make a cake to honor Satan instead,” spokesperson Doug Messner, who goes by the name Lucien Greaves, said in a statement on Thursday.

However, as previously reported, while the Satanic Temple contends that it is a religious group, it also notes on its website that it is “non-theistic” and does not believe in Satan or the supernatural at all, but only views the devil as a metaphor and a “symbol of the eternal rebel.”

“[W]e do not promote a belief in a personal Satan,” its FAQ section explains. “To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions.”

Some, therefore, consider the group as essentially an atheist effort to make a point about religion.

The Satanic Temple acknowledged to the Daily Caller this week that it is particularly upset that Christian bakers have declined to create baked goods for same-sex ceremonies because many members of the devilish group identify as homosexual.

“A lot of our membership is also homosexual as well, and I feel like there’s obvious reasons for that,” Messner said. “You know, we’re very into that kind of thing. There’s no issue of tolerance with us. And a lot of people who have grown up gay feel very alienated from traditional religion. So we have a very high population of LGBTQ community also as membership of the Satanic Temple.”

As previously reported, in 2015, during the unveiling of its Baphomet statue in Detroit, attendees shouted “Hail Satan” as two shirtless men pulled off the cloth that covered the figure and then embraced and kissed each other in front of the statue.

The group wrote in Thursday’s press release that if the U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of religious bakeries, the Satanic Temple will host a party for Satan in “honor” of every unsuccessful attempt to order a same-sex “wedding” cake from a Christian baker.

“If you can’t get a cake for your same-sex union, we’ll host a party in your honor at The Satanic Temple headquarters in Salem and order a cake that praises Satan from your offending discriminatory ‘religious liberty’ enthusiast,” Greaves said.

According to the Scriptures, one of the signs of the last days is that mockers and scoffers will arise, living in accordance with their own fleshly lusts.

“But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts,” verse 17 reads. “These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.”

The Matthew Henry Commentary on this passage describes such persons as “sensual men separate from Christ and His Church, [who] join themselves to the devil, the world and the flesh by ungodly and sinful practices.”

“We must watch over one another faithfully, yet prudently reprove each other, and set a good example to all about us. This must be done with compassion, making a difference between the weak and the willful. Some we must treat with tenderness. Others save with fear; urging the terrors of the Lord,” he continues. “All endeavors must be joined with decided abhorrence of crimes, and care [must] be taken to avoid whatever led to, or was connected with fellowship with them—in works of darkness—keeping far from what is or appears to be evil.”

So should this be ok in addition to creation and celebrations of other things (gay marriage) that go against beliefs?

Do you really believe that speech should be compelled, and does this only apply to believers, or should muslim shops also be forced?

Explain your reasoning if yes, thanks.

This Charming Manc

There is a massive difference between giving service to someone and being forced to offer a product in support of a viewpoint you don't hold.

I would happily serve satanists tea and cake all day, but don't ask me to bake a cake that glorifies Satan.

In a same way id happily serve republicans in any business i ran, but no way am i printing election leaflets for Donald Trump.

Big differences between serving people and promoting causes.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There is a massive difference between giving service to someone and being forced to offer a product in support of a viewpoint you don't hold.

I would happily serve satanists tea and cake all day, but don't ask me to bake a cake that glorifies Satan.

In a same way id happily serve republicans in any business i ran, but no way am i printing election leaflets for Donald Trump.

Big differences between serving people and promoting causes.

Then you agree with serving gays, but not making cakes for and catering their wedding?

MrDante

Yes I would, that is my position.

segregation-sign-smithsonian.jpg

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I go back and forth on these issues. I don't think speech should be forced but I question how truly we can say that speech is being forced.

For the 'honor Satan' cake it sounds like there would be a message on the cake to that effect. Does a cake still carry speech if there is no external message?

Do all products carry speech or just some? Where's the line?

If someone gets me a birthday cake would it be proper to say that the baker was promoting my birthday? Speaking to me a happy birthday? I think it would be strange to think about it that way. It's just a transaction. Someone requested a cake, someone made it. The person who ordered is speaking, not the baker. So why would I view a wedding cake differently? Or a cake for a Satan party?

In the case of the Colorado baker he has said that he'd sell anything to the gay couple except a wedding cake. In that respect it seems inaccurate to say that he was discriminating against a protected class. On the other hand, if he'd sell the exact same cake to a straight couple, then what is really being discriminated against? Is his speech different in each case? He describes himself as a cake artist so maybe he does attempt to have a personal touch and really stand behind each cake he makes. In ways that not all bakers do. :idunno:

MrDante

In the case of the Colorado baker he has said that he'd sell anything to the gay couple except a wedding cake. In that respect it seems inaccurate to say that he was discriminating against a protected class. :

But that is exactly what he is doing. Like the restaurants that posted the "colored served in the rear" sign were engaging in discrimination. Those bussiness would happily sell to African Americnas but just not inside the store itself.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
But that is exactly what he is doing. Like the restaurants that posted the "colored served in the rear" sign were engaging in discrimination. Those bussiness would happily sell to African Americnas but just not inside the store itself.
It doesn't seem the same to me. The factor is the cake, not the customers. I assume that if a straight person went in and requested a cake for a gay wedding then they would still be turned down. Obviously the people aren't irrelevant because they are what make it a gay wedding but the denial isn't solely about them as they could buy anything else.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Seems to me TomO had a great idea some time ago. Sell "celebration cakes" and sell decorating kits so that you could fit them out as you liked.

No more problem.

MrDante

It doesn't seem the same to me. The factor is the cake, not the customers. I assume that if a straight person went in and requested a cake for a gay wedding then they would still be turned down.
First, there is nothing that makes a cake for a same-sex couple any different than a cake for an opposite-sex couple. The baker can make two identical cakes each gooing to a differnt wedding, what makes one of the identicla cakes objectionable? Nothing. It has nothing to do with the cake.

Second while that straight person doing the ordering may be turned down it isn't because of them, it is becasue of who the cake is going to.

Obviously the people aren't irrelevant because they are what make it a gay wedding but the denial isn't solely about them as they could buy anything else.
just like the segregation era restaurants posting the above sign. Blacks could order anything they wanted off the menu, they just had to go to the back door. AND....they could have always gone to a diffenrt restaraunt. (but why they should have to remains an unanswered question.)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It doesn't seem the same to me. The factor is the cake, not the customers. I assume that if a straight person went in and requested a cake for a gay wedding then they would still be turned down. Obviously the people aren't irrelevant because they are what make it a gay wedding but the denial isn't solely about them as they could buy anything else.

Exactly since the cake shop served them regularly and not from the backdoor, the owner simply wouldn't make them a wedding cake.

Freedom of speech and religion at play there.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
First, there is nothing that makes a cake for a same-sex couple any different than a cake for an opposite-sex couple. The baker can make two identical cakes each gooing to a differnt wedding, what makes one of the identicla cakes objectionable? Nothing. It has nothing to do with the cake.
I agree. I touched on that in an earlier post. Having two grooms or two brides on the top of the cake would be a noticeable difference but a pretty minor one.

Second while that straight person doing the ordering may be turned down it isn't because of them, it is becasue of who the cake is going to.
Of course. My point is that the rejection is about the event.

just like the segregation era restaurants posting the above sign. Blacks could order anything they wanted off the menu, they just had to go to the back door. AND....they could have always gone to a diffenrt restaraunt. (but why they should have to remains an unanswered question.)

It isn't just like it though. Your example is discriminating solely on race. The baker is not discriminating solely on the customer's sexual orientation. The event is a key factor as well.

MrDante

I agree. I touched on that in an earlier post. Having two grooms or two brides on the top of the cake would be a noticeable difference but a pretty minor one.

Of course. My point is that the rejection is about the event.

It isn't just like it though. Your example is discriminating solely on race. The baker is not discriminating solely on the customer's sexual orientation. The event is a key factor as well.

that argument was tried in court and it didn't fly. Those discriminating tried to claim it was about an event and not about the people but serveral judges saw the pointas a failue because who else would have a same sex marriage except a same sex couple? A parallell can be drawn with a baker refusing to serve a Jewish couple, that baker isn't refusing an event, he is refusing people based on their religion.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
that argument was tried in court and it didn't fly. Those discriminating tried to claim it was about an event and not about the people but serveral judges saw the pointas a failue because who else would have a same sex marriage except a same sex couple?
Right, it's based on the people and the event.

A parallell can be drawn with a baker refusing to serve a Jewish couple, that baker isn't refusing an event, he is refusing people based on their religion.
Do you mean a Jewish wedding? I don't know if that would carry the same significance but maybe someone would turn down a couple based on the same idea. It'd still be a refusal based on the combination of the people and the event.

Last edited:

MrDante

Right, it's based on the people and the event.

Do you mean a Jewish wedding? I don't know if that would carry the same significance but maybe someone would turn down a couple based on the same idea. It'd still be a refusal based on the combination of the people and the event.

its also illegal