Satanic Temple Wants Followers to Force Christian Bakers to Make a Cake to ‘Honor...

rurija26

I go back and forth on these issues. I don't think speech should be forced but I question how truly we can say that speech is being forced.

For the 'honor Satan' cake it sounds like there would be a message on the cake to that effect. Does a cake still carry speech if there is no external message?

Do all products carry speech or just some? Where's the line?

If someone gets me a birthday cake would it be proper to say that the baker was promoting my birthday? Speaking to me a happy birthday? I think it would be strange to think about it that way. It's just a transaction. Someone requested a cake, someone made it. The person who ordered is speaking, not the baker. So why would I view a wedding cake differently? Or a cake for a Satan party?

In the case of the Colorado baker he has said that he'd sell anything to the gay couple except a wedding cake. In that respect it seems inaccurate to say that he was discriminating against a protected class. On the other hand, if he'd sell the exact same cake to a straight couple, then what is really being discriminated against? Is his speech different in each case? He describes himself as a cake artist so maybe he does attempt to have a personal touch and really stand behind each cake he makes. In ways that not all bakers do. :idunno:

Well if he sent a the cake to a straight couple, I’d probably assume he has a personal issues with gay people which I was I would agree that’s he’s discriminating. Just my two cents..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Well if he sent a the cake to a straight couple, I’d probably assume he has a personal issues with gay people which I was I would agree that’s he’s discriminating. Just my two cents..

Or moral issues. :idunno:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I go back and forth on these issues.

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
James 1:5*-‬8 NKJV

Sent from my SM-A520F using TOL mobile app

rexlunae

It's a false comparison. You, as a Satanist, can demand that a public cake shop make you a cake. But you can't force them to write a message that they disapprove of, whether it's in support of women's rights, gay marriage, or Satan worship. People are protected by civil rights legislation, not messages.

MrDante

My heart goes out to the ones affected...

Yes, it is a dark day when anyone is discriminated against but especially so when those who choose to discriminate try to use religion to justify their evil ways

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean. Acts 10:28

Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
Acts 10:28 NKJV

I guess you hate context, or common sense.

God says homosexuality — not to mention murder and rape — are capital crimes. This verse does nothing to mitigate that.

MrDante

Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

God says homosexuality — not to mention murder and rape — are capital crimes. This verse does nothing to mitigate that.

It is sad the lengths you go to do deny your sin.

Arthur Brain

Common sense says that homosexuality isn't on a par with either and the law reflects that. You might want to live under OT laws for the time but most people don't.