ECT Rome: Mary, Together With Christ, Redeemed the Human Race

Jerry Shugart

Because it was ultimately the means of Redemption for the human race. The greatest evil of men became the power of God for salvation.

What proof can you give that she even knew the purpose of the Cross?

Even after His death Mary did not even know that He had risen from the dead (Jn.20:2,9). She thought that the body of the Lord had been taken by men and she said that she didn't know where his body had been taken.

But you assert that she knew that His death was the means of redemption for the whole human race. But there is absolutely no evidence to support that assertion.

Again, you just make up things about Mary from thin air!

Cruciform

What proof can you give that she even knew the purpose of the Cross? Even after His death Mary did not even know that He had risen from the dead (Jn.20:2,9).
...and then she found out, correct?

But you assert that she knew that His death was the means of redemption for the whole human race. But there is absolutely no evidence to support that assertion.
What proof can you give that Mary knew nothing of the purpose of the cross? In any case, I did not say that Mary had a complex understanding of the redemptive purpose of the crucifixion, only that she was willing to facilitate the circumstances that would ultimately result in our Redemption (whether she knew all the details or not). That fact stands as posted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

rstrats

Jerry Shugart,
re: "What proof can you give that she even knew the purpose of the Cross? Even after His death Mary did not even know that He had risen from the dead (Jn.20:2,9). She thought that the body of the Lord had been taken by men and she said that she didn't know where his body had been taken."

I thought that the Messiah's mother was the person in question. How did Mary M. get involved?

Jerry Shugart

Jerry Shugart,
re: "What proof can you give that she even knew the purpose of the Cross? Even after His death Mary did not even know that He had risen from the dead (Jn.20:2,9). She thought that the body of the Lord had been taken by men and she said that she didn't know where his body had been taken."

I thought that the Messiah's mother was the person in question. How did Mary M. get involved?

You are right. I made a mistake so I must take back what I said.

Thanks!

Jerry Shugart

What proof can you give that Mary knew nothing of the purpose of the cross?

The purpose of the Cross is found in the gospel and was not revealed to anyone before Paul:

"Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past" (Ro.16:25).​

The original Apostles did not even know that the Lord Jesus was to die until shortly before the Cross (Lk.18:34) and they did not know that He was going to be resurrected (Jn.20:9).

So there is no evidence that anyone before Paul knew of the purpose of the Cross. There is no evidence that Mary knew the purpose of the Cross until later.

rstrats

Jerry Shugart,

re: "The original Apostles did not even know that the Lord Jesus was to die until shortly before the Cross (Lk.18:34) and they did not know that He was going to be resurrected (Jn.20:9)."

Which seems curious because of Matthew 17:22-23: "Now while they were staying in Galilee, Jesus said to them, 'The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men, and they will kill Him, and the third day He will be raised up.' And they were exceedingly sorrowful."

Jerry Shugart

Which seems curious because of Matthew 17:22-23: "Now while they were staying in Galilee, Jesus said to them, 'The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men, and they will kill Him, and the third day He will be raised up.' And they were exceedingly sorrowful."

Why would they be sorrowful if they knew the purpose of the Cross?

Besides, later they did not even understand that He was to die (Lk.18:34) and they did not know that He was going to be resurrected (Jn.20:9).

So there is absolutely no evidence that the original Apostles knew the purpose of the Lord's death. It was Paul who first revealed that truth so there is no evidence that Mary understood it at the Cross.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Acts 4:11-13 New King James Version (NKJV)

11 This is the ‘stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.’

12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus

rstrats

Jerry Shugart,
re: "Why would they be sorrowful if they knew the purpose of the Cross?"

Sorry. I was only responding to your comment that the apostles didn't know until just before the crucifixion that the Messiah was going to die . I wasn't addressing your comment about them not knowing the purpose for His death.

re: "Besides, later they did not even understand that He was to die (Lk.18:34)..."

So I wonder what they were sad about in Matthew 17:23?