rep war 3

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope, I think giving neg rep is a bad idea.
Though in fairness, Delmar, you don't have to take a fraction of the grief those of us not standing under the mod umbrella do. You don't have to worry about anyone ever going after you for more than a moment, are immune from anyone questioning your faith, character and even sexual orientation more than once and even then you have the last word/laugh.

Not saying you shouldn't have an opinion, but it is from a very, very different context than most. I was here for years and could count the neg reps I'd given on one hand.

Iwannaknow

BANNED
Banned
I guess that would be "everyone" minus me. I'm not agitated at all.

Yeah, but bybee...come on now, all of this over this rep system is truly silly, don't you agree?

Some people are being hurt by it, why should this continue when it really doesn't serve any good purpose at all. I do feel sorry for some people who value this more than it should be. It upsets people...why not get rid of it then? That would end of all these silly threads about it too.

I remember you saying if you had something to say, you did it in a post. Wasn't that you?

Iwannaknow

BANNED
Banned
You say it doesn't really, "bother you" yet, you're on a campaign
to abolish the rep system, in the name of those, "other people!"

Your, real motive is rather transparent here!

No, it doesn't bother me, and as soon as I say that Tambora goes into my rep system and negs me for it. I don't care, but it's plain to see that some people in here are abusing it and it's clear who they are. This child is constantly abusing what little authority she's been given here. She's one of the main people doing the agitating and using the rep system to get to people. I only use this as an example from what I see in going on in my rep center and what others are saying about her. I really could care less. It's people like you and some others who abuse this system for whatever personal gratitude you get from agitating and annoying people you simply don't like.

There really isn't a lot of people abusing it, just a handful from what I can tell. They should grow up and stop the harassment when they know it hurts and agitates people.

This is why it should go bye-bye and all of those points people think are so golden.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, but bybee...come on now, all of this over this rep system is truly silly, don't you agree?
Except that most of the people complaining about it are people who, by conduct, have found themselves dinged by it...which is a bit of the point.

Some people are being hurt by it
How? it marks their rep number, which at best is an indicator of how the general population is perceiving them.

why should this continue when it really doesn't serve any good purpose at all.
I think it does, actually. The problem is in the weighting. Now I have one of the larger totals and so have a disproportionate amount of negative or positive impact on the number. I've never understood the point of that. It should be one pt per person per rep. That would minimize the likelihood of the number being marginalized by any one or even a few posters and would make the rep score much more likely to reflect a broad opinion, instead of the power of a few.

I do feel sorry for some people who value this more than it should be. It upsets people...why not get rid of it then?
Because I think it also makes a great many people happy, though no one speaks to that point. I know it was a plus to me when I first arrived, getting encouragement from some of the long time members. And it's a great way to nudge someone with an attaboy without taking up threads. I call them liner notes and I'd miss them. I'd bet if you put it to a vote more people would want to keep it than lose it.

That would end of all these silly threads about it too.
No. Those are started mostly by silly people or people tired of silly people and lampooning. That sort will simply find a new grievance.

zoo22

Some people are being hurt by it, why should this continue when it really doesn't serve any good purpose at all. I do feel sorry for some people who value this more than it should be. It upsets people...why not get rid of it then? That would end of all these silly threads about it too.

I remember you saying if you had something to say, you did it in a post. Wasn't that you?

But there are different ways to consider it. I think there are a lot of aspects to rep that work beyond the obvious. For example, I think there's a good chance TOL would become meaner and more petty conversationally if some folks weren't able to vent themselves a bit with neg rep. I think rep actually winds up tempering people, and in a pretty innocuous way. I think there'd be more meaningless bickering and pettiness without the rep system than with it. I also think it does more positive than damage. Basically I think there're more levels to it than people might be considering.

Anyone who thinks that the negative aspect of people giving neg rep won't just manifest itself somewhere else if the rep system disappears, is fooling themselves. If the rep system isn't there it's still going to come out somehow, and it might have a lot worse impact than ultimately meaningless little red neg reps do. I don't think people consider that when they complain about neg rep and want the rep system removed.

Last edited:

Iwannaknow

BANNED
Banned
Except that most of the people complaining about it are people who, by conduct, have found themselves dinged by it...which is a bit of the point.

How? it marks their rep number, which at best is an indicator of how the general population is perceiving them.

I think it does, actually. The problem is in the weighting. Now I have one of the larger totals and so have a disproportionate amount of negative or positive impact on the number. I've never understood the point of that. It should be one pt per person per rep. That would minimize the likelihood of the number being marginalized by any one or even a few posters and would make the rep score much more likely to reflect a broad opinion, instead of the power of a few.

Because I think it also makes a great many people happy, though no one speaks to that point. I know it was a plus to me when I first arrived, getting encouragement from some of the long time members. And it's a great way to nudge someone with an attaboy without taking up threads. I call them liner notes and I'd miss them. I'd bet if you put it to a vote more people would want to keep it than lose it.

No. Those are started mostly by silly people or people tired of silly people and lampooning. That sort will simply find a new grievance.

If it was the "general population" that were doing it, that would be different, but it's just the same people constantly agitating. Most people here I've seen, don't even use it. We could narrow this down to about less than ten people I'm sure. That's not the general population is it.

I think some people value this rep system and their points so much that they'd rather leap off a bridge than to lose their points if this system was nuked.. :chuckle:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
No, it doesn't bother me, and as soon as I say that Tambora goes into my rep system and negs me for it. I don't care, but it's plain to see that some people in here are abusing it and it's clear who they are. This child is constantly abusing what little authority she's been given here. She's one of the main people doing the agitating and using the rep system to get to people. I only use this as an example from what I see in going on in my rep center and what others are saying about her. I really could care less. It's people like you and some others who abuse this system for whatever personal gratitude you get from agitating and annoying people you simply don't like.

There really isn't a lot of people abusing it, just a handful from what I can tell. They should grow up and stop the harassment when they know it hurts and agitates people.

This is why it should go bye-bye and all of those points people think are so golden.

I see you're not personally bothered by it though! You just enjoy
constantly bringing it up! Of course, for those, OTHER people!

bybee

Yes, I speak my mind in the open and I give lots of pos rep in private.
My point? This is cyberspace! We don't even know each other except through these dialogues. When you sign on here you know there is a system of letting each other know what we think about our posts. Neg rep? So what? It doesn't have anything to do with who you are in the real world. It may be used as a guide for how you are being perceived on this forum.
I find it gratifying when people like what I have to say. I do learn from people here who are willing to challenge me and show me a better way. Most posters tell me up front what they think in response to my being up front. I don't give neg rep's even to people who have neg rep'd me. I do announce to the board whenever I get a neg rep.
I find nothing wrong with this system. I am grateful for every positive point that I have received.
Someone already mentioned, how in the world do people cope with real life if they can't handle an anonymous neg rep on a forum in cyberspace?
Change your tone! Earn a different reputation here! Apologize for sideways, sneering comments. Apologize for vulgarity and below the belt hits regarding another poster's family.
But mostly, share your love of God and what it means to you to be the person you are.
Thank other posters when they share something of value with us.
Anyway, blessings to all.

Iwannaknow

BANNED
Banned
My point? This is cyberspace! We don't even know each other except through these dialogues. When you sign on here you know there is a system of letting each other know what we think about our posts. Neg rep? So what? It doesn't have anything to do with who you are in the real world. It may be used as a guide for how you are being perceived on this forum.
I find it gratifying when people like what I have to say. I do learn from people here who are willing to challenge me and show me a better way. Most posters tell me up front what they think in response to my being up front. I don't give neg rep's even to people who have neg rep'd me. I do announce to the board whenever I get a neg rep.
I find nothing wrong with this system. I am grateful for every positive point that I have received.
Someone already mentioned, how in the world do people cope with real life if they can't handle an anonymous neg rep on a forum in cyberspace?
Change your tone! Earn a different reputation here! Apologize for sideways, sneering comments. Apologize for vulgarity and below the belt hits regarding another poster's family.
But mostly, share your love of God and what it means to you to be the person you are.

We all say things and do things that we might regret later...do we not? I know I do as we did and apologized to each other for it. Did we do that through a rep system? No, I came to you and apologized and you to me. That's what it's all about... I agreed with your first statement that we should be open with each other in a post.

I apologized to you publicly in your visitor messages so all could see because I offended you publicly...that's how I believe we should all do it too.

I see nice and good people being hurt by this system and yes, it bothers me to see them being agitated and hurt by some children who are abusing it.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Beautiful post Bybee!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If it was the "general population" that were doing it, that would be different, but it's just the same people constantly agitating. Most people here I've seen, don't even use it. We could narrow this down to about less than ten people I'm sure. That's not the general population is it.

I think some people value this rep system and their points so much that they'd rather leap off a bridge than to lose their points if this system was nuked.. :chuckle:
I'm disappointed by your lack of response on the points you raised and I spoke to directly...but that seems to be the way of it, there are people determined to end the system and people determined to protect it and no one wants to talk about keeping the good and minimizing the misuse.

Peculiar, but there it is. :e4e:

bybee

We all say things and do things that we might regret later...do we not? I know I do as we did and apologized to each other for it. Did we do that through a rep system? No, I came to you and apologized and you to me. That's what it's all about... I agreed with your first statement that we should be open with each other in a post.

I apologized to you publicly in your visitor messages so all could see because I offended you publicly...that's how I believe we should all do it too.

I see nice and good people being hurt by this system and yes, it bothers me to see them being agitated and hurt by some children who are abusing it.

Not everyone agrees with you. Not everyone agrees with me.
But, I define me. And I have room for the opinions of others.
I cannot comprehend how one is hurt by anonymous entities in cyberspace?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Having said that, can you now apologize to GM for saying, his
Mother and Father (in your opinion) were Sister and Brother?

Iwannaknow

BANNED
Banned
Having said that, can you now apologize to GM for saying, his
Mother and Father (in your opinion) were Sister and Brother?

Yes GM, after everything you've said to me...all of the insults and name calling like "idiot, "moron", "drunk" and far more...I will apologize to you for what I *implied* and ask your forgiveness... Now...it's your turn.

Iwannaknow

BANNED
Banned
Not everyone agrees with you. Not everyone agrees with me.
But, I define me. And I have room for the opinions of others.
I cannot comprehend how one is hurt by anonymous entities in cyberspace?

But they are being hurt and offended by this system and is this what we are truly all about?