Reformed Theology: Somewhere Between..

Derf

Hi Derf,

The issue for me is not simply whether people of certain religions use this unpleasant practice.

Rather, Calvinism has a distinction in having a particularly penal-oriented theology, and a subsequent increased practice of whipping children, as the book Spare the Child showed.

Perhaps you can find different ways to rationalize this and even make it sound good. But my spirit rejects this as a theology and practice and my rejection is a major reason why I turned to the "true teachings and Church" and orthodoxy of traditional Christianity.

Penal theology and Calvinism present themselves as a "Reform" of the Church, but in major ways it is truly a deformation of the Church and the apostles' theology.

The Church teaches compassion, forgiveness, and arguably punishment, whereas penal theology of the "Reformed" deformed Calvinism emphasizes the latter - punishment. This is why my soul that loves Jesus' teachings of love, compassion and forgiveness are driven back to the basic theology handed down by the apostles and not the penal theology invented by Calvin 1500 years or so after the apostles.

There are a lot of Calvinist followers in America, but there are a lot of traditional, orthodox Christians here too, fortunately.

I don't know a whole lot about the orthodox churches, but the book you mentioned seemed to think that both Catholic and Jewish families used similar practices to the protestants, but it noted that fewer studies have been done on them. Here's the quote I read (with my added emphasis): "Catholics and many other religious groups have equally sustained traditions of using physical punishments both in families and in schools. But so far very little has been written by or about Catholics concerning their attitudes toward and practice of corporal punishments. The subject of discipline among Catholics and Jews needs to be explored. Both religious traditions provide experiences and practices paralleling those among Protestants."

Whether the penal theology was the sole impetus behind corporal punishment or not seems questionable. And if those three groups (Protestants, Jews, and Catholics) do not all have the same penal theology, but do have parallel experiences and practices regarding corporal punishments, it may be that the practice is more biblical than you want to admit. And if biblical, you might want to reconsider it as a primary reason for moving to the orthodox tradition. Not that there aren't other good reasons to align one's self with the orthodox church--there probably are a good many.

Besides Jesus teaching that we should love one another, He also taught that we should honor our parents. If you are heading this direction because you are bitter toward your parents, you might want to reconsider. You don't have to agree with everything they did, but as Paul said in Heb 12:6-8, God disciplines us as His children, with "scourging" as His illustration. If we don't want God's discipline, we aren't of Him, are we? If our parents, though imperfectly, apply the rod with God's mark of authority, we don't want to despise it.

Maybe that's more than fits in this thread, but think about it some.
Derf

Lon

But I'll soon take care of that! :)
Yes. Yes you did. I couldn't be less verbose either so my apologies to anyone following along as well as you ahead of time (only about 13 paragraphs, but about 10 more than I usually try to have someone follow - I just don't think I'm THAT interesting! :yikes: ) This first section about freewill and the Fall:
My restriction to "your" was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. Yes, I agree mine is finite as well.
I'm not sure I can tell what the distinction is between having a "will" and having a "free will". I suppose it's like "wholly sovereign". If our will (free or otherwise) is determined by somebody else, then it's not really our will, is it? It's the determiner's. I still think you are equating the desire with the ability to desire. And you seem to be saying God can't give the one without giving the other. That's a pretty big limitation to put on an infinite God, don't you think? That means that Satan is actually responsible for creating something--not just corrupting what God created. Maybe I'm taking the implications too far...:think:
At least 'perpetrated' sin. I'm not sure Satan has to 'invent' it in order for us to have it. It is just that He was the one lying "you won't surely die!" I've no idea how Satan got it, but only one having it can pass it along to a sinless being (Adam and Eve), as far as my understanding. I'd much rather see Satan causing sin than God 'planning it.' It is kind of weird, you and other Arminians, and even Open Theists, actually have God planning man to have a will that is 'able' to sin. A double-pred Calvinist actually agrees with you. There are then, a few of us Calvinists and Arminians that believe our free will is a result of sin. It is interesting to see the flip in thinking on what God ordained allowed, and planned. It often is a trade-off on the logical spectrum. For me, scripturally and logically, it makes better sense that a freewill is one that is separated "from" (free) God by sin and not one made in us by God's design as if the thing that would kill and destroy us could be a gift in any sense. That's like telling the President, "You can nuke the world anytime you like, just press the button, no protocols or safeguards. My gift to you."

I'll have to disagree with you here. If God tells us what to do versus what not to do, and expresses the penalty if we do the wrong thing, we "know" good and evil in a sense. I don't know that things are much different today when we debate laws and punishment for disobedience. If I tell you (as a civil magistrate) not to murder, you know the difference between good and evil. If you commit murder, you know more about it--you've experienced it--but you still knew about it before hand.
It is akin, I think, to smoking. If you'd never seen a pipe or cigarette or cigar in your life, yet I told you that it'd kill you if you smoke it. You'd have no idea about anything, having never seen it or seen it done, just a snake down on the plantation playing with a lighter.

I think this "know" is the same "know" that Jesus used when he said to the goats, "I never knew you." in Mt 25:41-46. Jesus obviously "knew" them in the sense that He knew who they were and saw their deeds.
To a degree, but Genesis 3:22 said 'man has become like us' at that point.

I will admit that it suggests God has a more intimate knowledge of evil than just knowing the difference. It makes it sound like either God has committed acts of evil (not tenable); or maybe the "us" in Gen 3:22 is not just God; or maybe His infinite mind (as opposed to "ours") could comprehend the effects of evil without actually committing them. I'm not sure. I think I'd lean toward the latter.
I don't think it demands that. God being Creator and omniscient about His creation, is able to know what happens without having to have had to sin. Hebrews does say that our high priest, Jesus Christ, was familiar with our temptations and weakness.

Also we might need to understand what it means to be like God, which is rather difficult for us. If God had a will already that was like the one you say we were given at the fall, and it was a bad thing for us, then did God have
  1. a desire to do something different from what God wanted? (not tenable in my mind, but deduced from what you said)
  2. An understanding of the effects of sin. (most likely)
So it sounds like you admit that the eating from the tree is not what gave them that "free" will, and it sounds like you don't believe God gave them such. So that was a gift from Satan? Well, ok, but then if the will is the bad thing, then they would have the bad thing even if they never ate of the tree. The eating of the tree was a bit superfluous, right?
Actually doing the thing that they weren't supposed was likely (guessing) simultaneous with the inception of 'free' will. In this case, for me, it makes more sense to call it 'a will that no longer follows God.' Why? Because they literally could have done anything in the Garden. You'll note there was no "don't kill Eve or bash her in the head" command. Why? Because it wasn't in their nature to do such a thing. It would have been impossible for them to think of doing such a thing. The only thing that could have caused a problem was eating from a tree that would place it in their heads (by action or what have you), to know and do evil.

And there's no responsibility, right? Since Satan gave them the bad thing--"the Devil made me do it"? It can't be that they wanted it (wanted the desire to want something God didn't want them to want, if you get my drift), because you're saying their desire for something outside of God's provision was the bad thing that God didn't give them the ability to have. And it can't be that they accepted the temptation, for they couldn't accept this "desire for something God didn't want for them" unless they had a desire for it already.
That is the way of temptation. Somebody had to figure out that rubbing alcohol was good for cuts, but being a wood alcohol, was poison as consumption.

Dr: "You may pour this on wounds, but don't drink it or you'll go blind and likely die."

Tempter: Drink a little, it won't make you blind, and you'll love the way you feel. You won't die. Smell it in this berry juice? Smells good? Drink a little, it won't kill ya.

The guy doing the tempting is sinning. The guy finally doing what he was told not to, is also sinning, he's doubting the good doctor, doesn't understand the 'evil' of the tempter or why he'd lie. He doesn't even know what a lie is, it all happens as soon as he takes a drink is what I conclude.
And what if he uses a forum like this to tell us our presuppositions are wrong and He wants us to change them?? (though signals are likely to get mixed up, it's somewhat the same going to different churches).
Lots of prayer. Stay faithful to reading and rereading His word, talk to your pastor, etc. I think a forum can but help a bit. I really don't like to see them go past a good place for discussion. We've had a few, sadly on TOL who aren't going back and reading their bibles, they aren't going on to discuss these things with their pastors. :(

I agree this is an important doctrine. And if it is so important, biblically derived oppositions to currently held beliefs should not be dismissed too quickly. I get the feeling that's what is happening in many cases in the open view debate.

One interesting note from my quick perusal of those links: the second one says: "God is the only One Who possesses limitless knowledge." I agree with this in its intention, but it points out one of the ways the two sides seem to talk past each other. If God possesses limitless knowledge, then He must know everything, even things that aren't. Because one limitation on knowledge is that God knows everything that is, but He doesn't know anything that isn't. He doesn't know the name of my pet pony, for instance, since I don't have one.
(This portion until the next bolded section can be treated as the one topic of God's omniscience and whether it is acquired vs innate)
This would be 'dependent' knowledge or 'gained' knowledge. In addition to 'what God knows' is the question of 'how He knows it.'

I do not believe in a 'gained' knowledge because such would imply there are things God does not, or cannot know, until they happen. There are members here who literally believe God didn't know where Adam was when He came to find him. Genesis 3:9
Open theists use this same idea to "limit" God's knowledge to what is possible to know. Classical theists must do the same. The difference is how they define "possible to know".

Briefly[?]:

<___________________________>
._____.
A segment and a line. A line is infinite. A segment is finite and definite. ALL that is contained in a segment is within the full expression of the line, therefore from point A to point B is 'already' part of the line. There is no 'forward' to a line because a line is equally going forever back as well as forever forward. That means the experience of the segment, whether it has been 'drawn' already exists before it is drawn/segmented from the line.

The 'act' of sementing is temporal (time) and finite (time/limited between two points/considerations). God thus, is completely interacting with us, or more correctly, we are interacting with Him.

Thus, God already has the name of your pony that doesn't exist simply because in the time-line, it is already part of His infinite expression (the line). Because of that, God is said to be relational to time, but cannot be constrained by it because such is a segmented, thus finite expression of what has always infinitely existed. Perhaps confusing, but this much is a reality between a segment and line that at least is easily seen and easily grasped as true, regardless of how clearly one understands or sees the rest. They can at least grasp the truth, that a segments full expression is grasped within the line, without measurement.
Classical theists add that God can't accumulate knowledge, because if He does, that would make Him less yesterday than He is today. I would say the same thing is true of glory. If He receives glory from man, then some of that glory was not yet in existence yesterday morning, before we glorified Him at church during our worship service. I guess you could say that because God is outside of time, then that glory is not deficient at any point in time, but that locks God into a condition where He is dependent on our existence--if He decided (before time began, I suppose) that He didn't want to make the world and humans, then His eternal glory would be deficient what humans contribute to it, whatever little that might be. And because it isn't possible that God could be any less than what He is, that glory is required. Thus, God HAD to make man.

I don't think that's a feasible scenario, but that's the one classical theists seem to be advocating.
This is part of the time constraint: We haven't gotten to the end from A to B yet (or A to ZZ etc.) but it is within the expression of the line already. So, while we, as a segment, are constrained from A moving to B that hasn't happened yet, God, being infinite, is necessarily 'already there' and beyond. A lot of this is philosophical, but it is expressed in scripture, thus that Jews believe this about God and have been very resistant to outside influence upon their theology.

This next portion is all about my idea of 'assertion' that was started a few posts back now. It can be treated as a whole and probably "Oh, Okay." would work as a response (if you agree that is :) )
Don't we have the potential to do this for every type of scripture, not just the parables? But if we decide not to take the teaching from the scriptures that teach us about God, whether parable or not, aren't we refusing to "know" Him?
It depends upon how you view them, but, for instance, I lift up the above logical proofs and philosophy with a bit of clarification: They are not inspired so are not necessarily infallible. Now a mathematic problem can be expressed infallibly so I'm simply saying I'm more cautious and tend to try to say something about God with scripture than my own. The initial point was what God must do in order to be a just or righteous God. I'm just not comfortable with me qualifying something in Him, that I am not. I am just in Christ, and am righteous in Christ, but I'm still learning to walk after that new position. I can tell you what "I think" a righteous God would look like, but that's my point, I'd say: "I think, if I understand correctly, a righteous God would...." It allows for God to correct me, as well as you, if my assumption/assertion is wrong. That's pretty much the objection in a nutshell.

On the other hand, if we can't glean anything from the parable about the king of the kingdom of heaven, since he's an integral part of that kingdom, can we glean anything about even the kingdom from the parable? Of what use, then, is the parable? If all we can do is "repeat scripture", and we can't even discern a meaning of it to share with others or even to learn something ourselves, the scripture loses its value. All scripture needs to be interpreted by those that hear it, with aid of pastors and teachers, perhaps, but their words, too, in giving instruction, also will need to be interpreted by their hearers.
Going to the original:
A sovereign (at least a good one) will make sure his will is done by punishing bad behavior or banishing the one behaving badly.
I think I agree with the point, but I was merely saying for me, it would be something like this: "God is a good sovereign because the scripture says so, and it tells us He must judge rightly and so I deem as a good Sovereign, God will need to judge the righteous and the unrighteous accordingly." As I said, I think I even agree with you, I just have a harder time asserting something 'in case' my own logic prowess is wrong. That way, another who comes behind me and says :nono: is able to disagree with me, and realize he/she may not be disagreeing with God on that point. IOW, I don't want my ideas passed off as if they were the words or ideas of God very God. That being the case, I should have just said "I think I agree with this." :)

Going back to your parental illustration, our children when they were younger, had some difficulty understanding us. When we first sang a lullaby to them that said "go to sleep", did they actually do it at our command? No, they likely didn't understand what we were saying and a cooing without words would have likely been just as effective. (Later on, when we said the same thing, they likely looked for ways to ignore or postpone the expectation.) I expect my understanding of scripture to grow as I read it more and more, but each time I read it, I interpret it, and hopefully find decent ways to apply that interpretation. If we aren't ever allowed to look at scripture to determine what scripture means, including parables, scripture becomes dead to us.
I don't think we are arguing so much over interpretation but rather disagreeing on how far we go. For me: When scripture is clear - be bold and clear! The gospel is very clear. But when we are yet working on something, such as His justice, it is more like: "As I understand scripture, I think a hell necessary for God's righteousness to be expressed over against the consequences and experience of sin."

As I said above, I should probably have just said "I think I agree" at that point, because this is a rabbit trail I didn't intend shoving you into the hole before me! (nor had I realized it would travel 5 posts or so :noway: )
May He bless our conversation(s) and make them even more meaningful.
Derf

Dialogos

I don't mean to take issue too quickly, but I'm not sure which thing in your discussion below you are calling a "fact".
I take the word of God as fact, ergo, what John said he saw, he saw.

Derf said:
I think I'm not completely convinced the ESV has translated this correctly...
Then re-translate. I find it is an accurate translation of the NA27.

Derf said:
..but it supports the open view more than the settled view, imo. If "no one" could number them, then I guess God didn't actually know how many either, right?
Wrong.

This is an idiomatic expression indicating that no creature could number them because they were too numerous, not an indication that God is ignorant of who precisely is worshiping before His throne. Its very much like Rev 5:4 where John said he wept because no one was found worthy to open the scroll, but Christ did open the scroll. And, more to the point, your interpretation is in direct contradiction to John 10:27 where Jesus says that He knows His sheep.

You've also missed my point. If the future isn't settled, then how does God know that there will be anyone in heaven at all, let alone countless numbers from every tribe, nation and language? Couldn't a whole tribe refuse Christ and therefore fail to be represented before the throne? If Open Theism is true there is no guarantee that anyone will be before the throne, let alone a number too numerous for us to count.

Derf said:
Why not? Do you think His offer of salvation is not attractive to some?
Clearly it is attractive to some, and equally clearly it is not attractive to others.

Calvinism has the means to answer why it is attractive to some and not to others.

Do you know why the gospel is attractive to some and not to others?

Derf said:
Let me ask you this--if God had a particular number He was looking for, is it possible that He would be willing to wait until that number believe before making these events take place?
Of course, incidentally this is very much what Calvinism believes, God has coordinated the coming of His Son with the salvation of the elect. We believe that none of the elect perish. On the other hand, non-Calvinistic theologies almost universally reject this premise and make the day of the Lord the "cut off" date regardless of how many have or have not believed. Consequently, Open Theism has no explanation for why God would know that there would be those from every tribe, nation and tongue before the throne.

Derf said:
Can you tell me from the passage what year John is visiting/viewing? Or the day or the hour?
Nope. This is kind of a silly question. We do know that it is in the future (from John's perspective) because as of the time of John's writing, every tribe and nation had yet to be reached.

What relevance is this to whether the future is settled or open?

Derf said:
Which names or faces did you recognize from the passage? You are exactly right that as far as we can tell from the passage, they are nameless and faceless. Do you think John was actually time-traveled to this event and saw it as it will happen in the future?
I think John was given a vision of a certain future not a possible future because this is the way John presents his vision.

Derf said:
Do you think this will be what heaven is like--everybody standing around just praising God?
I think "just" is a poor choice of words for that phrase.

Yes, I think a good deal of eternity will be returning praise to a God who deserves it and thanks to a Savior who took our place.
Maybe that sounds boring to you, but I am looking forward to it.

Derf said:
It might be, but God seems like a fairly practical person, and He may give us jobs to do. And while we are doing those jobs, we will reflect on how God made us to work but the work will not be onerous.
You keep drifting in and out of Calvinistic presuppositions. Doesn't doing what God made us to do presuppose that God has a purpose for us that is greater than our own autonomous desires?

What if you don't want to do what God made you to do?

What makes you think that everyone who gets to heaven will want to do what God made them to do anyway?

People on earth don't appear to feel all that compelled to do His will, why would we be any less "free" in heaven? Especially since non-Calvinist theologies almost always define "freedom" as the ability to do what is contrary to God's will.

Derf said:
You seem to think there won't be any free will in heaven. Does that mean you will be forced to praise God against your will there?
Nope.

:nono:

It means that Calvinism has a theology that explains why everyone in heaven wants to do His will, praise His Name and enjoy His presence that non-calvinist theologies simply don't have.

Last edited:

rako

I don't know a whole lot about the orthodox churches, but the book you mentioned seemed to think that both Catholic and Jewish families used similar practices to the protestants, but it noted that fewer studies have been done on them. Here's the quote I read (with my added emphasis): "Catholics and many other religious groups have equally sustained traditions of using physical punishments both in families and in schools. But so far very little has been written by or about Catholics concerning their attitudes toward and practice of corporal punishments. The subject of discipline among Catholics and Jews needs to be explored. Both religious traditions provide experiences and practices paralleling those among Protestants."

Whether the penal theology was the sole impetus behind corporal punishment or not seems questionable. And if those three groups (Protestants, Jews, and Catholics) do not all have the same penal theology, but do have parallel experiences and practices regarding corporal punishments, it may be that the practice is more biblical than you want to admit. And if biblical, you might want to reconsider it as a primary reason for moving to the orthodox tradition. Not that there aren't other good reasons to align one's self with the orthodox church--there probably are a good many.

Besides Jesus teaching that we should love one another, He also taught that we should honor our parents. If you are heading this direction because you are bitter toward your parents, you might want to reconsider. You don't have to agree with everything they did, but as Paul said in Heb 12:6-8, God disciplines us as His children, with "scourging" as His illustration. If we don't want God's discipline, we aren't of Him, are we? If our parents, though imperfectly, apply the rod with God's mark of authority, we don't want to despise it.

Maybe that's more than fits in this thread, but think about it some.
Derf
Apply the rod with God's mark of authority?
This is a good example of the kind of puritanical cruel domineering mindset that comes from a theology that is primarily focused on punishment.
These kinds of phrases extremely feel Ill to me, the kind of thing a painful controlling power monger would put into odd religious phrases.
I done care if catholics and Jews have at times made practices that parallel it. Thank God it is not a core of their theology controlling their hearts and minds in this wayward lost path as if cruel punishment is wonderful.

Wonderful and salvific is that I have put that theology far from me and recognize it as the illness it is and have found the theology and faith of the fathers instead of falling prey to the wayward newly invented cruel hypnotic heresies of Calvin.

Derf

Apply the rod with God's mark of authority?
Does that really bother you that much? What about when rulers punish criminals, as in Rom 13:3-4? What about when Christ gives authority to His followers to rule with a rod of iron (Rev 2:26-27)? Are these any different than God giving parents authority over their children, to apply the rod appropriately? I emphasize appropriately because it is part of the equation. If the appropriateness of the punishment is not taken into account, then indeed we have a bad situation. But do you think there would ever be a time when it would be appropriate to exercise the Deut 21:18-22 passage about capital punishment for rebelliousness? Was there ever a time when that passage should have been exercised?
This is a good example of the kind of puritanical cruel domineering mindset that comes from a theology that is primarily focused on punishment.
"This" meaning my post, I presume. Maybe the theology is primarily focused on obedience rather than punishment???
These kinds of phrases extremely feel Ill to me, the kind of thing a painful controlling power monger would put into odd religious phrases.
Kind of like the Deut 21 passage above? What about descriptions of hell and weeping and gnashing of teeth? Do they make you feel ill? What do you do with a God that threatens such things?
I done care if catholics and Jews have at times made practices that parallel it. Thank God it is not a core of their theology controlling their hearts and minds in this wayward lost path as if cruel punishment is wonderful.
If the practices are the same and are applied with equal severity and frequency, why does it matter whether the theology is the same or not? Is it any better if the practitioners of such things don't promote a system that gives them some reason for it, but they still do it just as much? If they are not under the control of such theology, but they still use the same practices in the same proportions, maybe then the practices are not a result of the theology. What do you think?
Wonderful and salvific is that I have put that theology far from me and recognize it as the illness it is and have found the theology and faith of the fathers instead of falling prey to the wayward newly invented cruel hypnotic heresies of Calvin.
Salvific? Are you relying on your rejection of Calvinism for your salvation? I would hope, despite disagreements with Calvin, that you would still look to Jesus Christ's bloody sacrifice for your salvation. Or is that too cruel a source of salvation for you?

I don't mean to be unkind here, but did you experience some of this over-the-top punishment when you were a child?

Lon

Reactionary is when we pendulum swing rather than seek balance and understanding of our experience. I'd simply say here, that I'm not that kind of Calvinist. My kids were barely spanked, and if I had it to do over, I'd do even less. Psychology tells us that getting kids to internalize values and own them, is the goal of good parenting. God too, in Hebrews as well as the gospel of John, says that His laws will be internalized. To me, I think the help of the Holy Spirit and Christ's work on the Cross makes 'spoil the rod/spoil the child an external motivator. While I think it minimally effective, internal movitators are more effective and I 'think' exponentially so. I find, in my older years, it is more important to read scripture to them, encourage their devotions, and allow God to cause an increase from my sowing and watering.

As far as Calvinists, I'm coming to understand that there are all kinds. While I've met some of the harsher ones, I've been surrounded by godly men who hold to Calvinism but are some of the most gracious and loving men I've met, ones whom I would emulate, especially with the way they treat their families. I'm not sure what kind of Calvinist church you went to, I'm not really aware of one that deals out harsh punishment but I think I'd empathize with you a bit if I did but I also think we have to be careful to recognize that even Arminians can overtly preach corporal punishment that doesn't spare the rod. I don't think any one denomination has a corner on that (might).

Derf

I take the word of God as fact, ergo, what John said he saw, he saw.
Ok. Daniel also saw some stuff that was a vision of the future, including a beast or two. Later it was explained what those beasts were. If Daniel saw a beast, but it wasn't really a beast, it was a king or a nation, then did that king or nation look like a beast or not? What did Daniel see?

Turn it back to John--What did John see? Did he see an actual vision of the future, or did he see a representation of the future? You seem to think that he saw an actual vision of the future, rather than a representation of the future. Do you apply that same thought to the rest of the things that will "take place after these things"?
Then re-translate. I find it is an accurate translation of the NA27.

Wrong.
Wow! that's powerful. You just say "wrong" and I get all quivery and fall to my knees. Maybe I'll try that...
This is an idiomatic expression indicating that no creature could number them because they were too numerous, not an indication that God is ignorant of who precisely is worshiping before His throne.
Wrong. (What do you think? Did you get that quivery feeling?)

Kidding aside, I agree with you in a sense--that's why I suggested the translation wasn't the best. KJV does a bit better job on that verse, imo. But there are other reasons to believe it's not an exact image of a scene/event from the future. Your description of Rev 5:4 below is a case in point. Do you think there will be a scene where this happens: (Rev 5:8) the four beasts and the 24 elders carry actual vials full of odours that are actually the prayers of the saints? (One might ask how those prayers were processed to turn them into odours. Is there a factory up in heaven that does this? Who produces the vials? Another factory?) So if Rev 5:4 is not literal, but a representation in prophetic terms, is it possible that you over-literalized Rev 7:9-10? By the way, I'm very much in favor of reading the bible as literally as possible, but over-doing it can get us in trouble.
Its very much like Rev 5:4 where John said he wept because no one was found worthy to open the scroll, but Christ did open the scroll. And, more to the point, your interpretation is in direct contradiction to John 10:27 where Jesus says that He knows His sheep.
I just went through some of this with Lon. How does Jesus know His sheep? Maybe several ways, but 2 of them are given in the verse: they hear His voice and they follow Him. This hearkens back to the parable he told earlier in the chapter, where He calls His own sheep by name and leads them out. The sheep follow Him. We would both probably call them "believers" (meaning they believe He is who He says He is and they do what He says.

So when Jesus tells the "disbelievers" (Jn 10:25-26) that they are not of His sheep, He goes on to tell them: But if I do [the works of the Father], though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.(Jn 10:38) Why would He tell someone who is not one of His sheep to believe His works "that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him"? These guys had rocks in their hands, ready to stone Him. He was saying they weren't His sheep, but they should believe His works so that they could be His sheep.
You've also missed my point. If the future isn't settled, then how does God know that there will be anyone in heaven at all, let alone countless numbers from every tribe, nation and language? Couldn't a whole tribe refuse Christ and therefore fail to be represented before the throne? If Open Theism is true there is no guarantee that anyone will be before the throne, let alone a number too numerous for us to count.
Really? No guarantee that anyone will be there? What about John? Do you think his situation is so desperate that even he might not be there among the throng? Do you really not think God is powerful enough to resurrect those who believe in Him without being able to see into the future? I don't even see how you can link those powers of His in that way. Neither should you as a good Calvinist. God doesn't derive His powers of foreknowledge from foresight, but rather from His ability to bring about what He wants. The Westminster Confession says so, even: "yet hath he not decreed anything because
he foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass
upon such conditions." If God knows because He sees, then He is bound by what happens in the future--He has no power over it.
Clearly it is attractive to some, and equally clearly it is not attractive to others.

Calvinism has the means to answer why it is attractive to some and not to others.
Not really. Calvinism says that God will make some people like it. Which means they don't really like it, they just think they do. But they don't really think, because that would suggest they could decide whether they like it or not. Instead, they think that they think. And really, they just think that they think they they think that they like it. (maybe you see where I'm going with this??)
Do you know why the gospel is attractive to some and not to others?
Because it actually saves us from hell? But it also requires us to actually put our own desires down and take His up? Because it brings us into contact with our maker? But it also requires us to acknowledge that our maker knows more than we do and therefore we should do what He says? I can see a lot of reasons it would be attractive, and I can see a lot of reasons it would be unattractive. They all boil down to whether we are willing to put Him first or not. Whether we want to worship Him or not.

Of course, incidentally this is very much what Calvinism believes, God has coordinated the coming of His Son with the salvation of the elect. We believe that none of the elect perish. On the other hand, non-Calvinistic theologies almost universally reject this premise and make the day of the Lord the "cut off" date regardless of how many have or have not believed. Consequently, Open Theism has no explanation for why God would know that there would be those from every tribe, nation and tongue before the throne.
I don't think any system I know of thinks that some of the elect perish--it's certainly not unique to Calvinism. Maybe the vision was showing John that there would be no limit to the number of people (or their nationality) that are allowed into His kingdom--that it wasn't for a select group of people or a select number of them. That God really does want all men to come to repentance.

Nope. This is kind of a silly question. We do know that it is in the future (from John's perspective) because as of the time of John's writing, every tribe and nation had yet to be reached.

What relevance is this to whether the future is settled or open?
Even if God determines a number (which is NOT evidenced in the passage), it doesn't mean that He has determined a time for the event in the vision (assuming it is a vision of an actual event). Since neither a number or a time are given, I'm not sure how you make so many conclusions about who it is.
I think John was given a vision of a certain future not a possible future because this is the way John presents his vision.

I think "just" is a poor choice of words for that phrase.

Yes, I think a good deal of eternity will be returning praise to a God who deserves it and thanks to a Savior who took our place.
Maybe that sounds boring to you, but I am looking forward to it.
But who's going to make all those vials to hold the prayers of the saints?
You keep drifting in and out of Calvinistic presuppositions. Doesn't doing what God made us to do presuppose that God has a purpose for us that is greater than our own autonomous desires?
A higher purpose than we can think up on our own? Probably. But maybe that purpose is to use our God-given autonomy (sorry Lon) in a way that submits it to Him.
What if you don't want to do what God made you to do?
WWJD? Tell Him I don't want to do it, but I will if He says this is what He wants (Mt 26:39)?
What makes you think that everyone who gets to heaven will want to do what God made them to do anyway?

People on earth don't appear to feel all that compelled to do His will, why would we be any less "free" in heaven? Especially since non-Calvinist theologies almost always define "freedom" as the ability to do what is contrary to God's will.
I think I would prefer to think of "free will" as the ability to want something contrary to God's will. The freedom to DO contrary is another question entirely. That may be the difference in heaven. Whereas we currently have the ability to DO contrary to God's will, there we won't, and we will understand more fully that anything contrary to his will is a bad thing--and we won't continue to push for it.
Nope.

:nono:

It means that Calvinism has a theology that explains why everyone in heaven wants to do His will, praise His Name and enjoy His presence that non-calvinist theologies simply don't have.
Maybe. Or maybe it explains that God just programs everyone in heaven. Of course, then there wouldn't be a wanting to do His will, but just a doing of His will. As I referred to Jesus' prayer earlier, He wanted to do God's will, but He also wanted the cup to pass from Him. He submitted His will to His Father's, even though it conflicted with what he (his human nature?) wanted. In other words, he decided to want what God wanted. We also may have conflicting desires in God's kingdom. For example, I don't think we will have God's infinite knowledge, so if we want something different from God, it isn't necessarily wrong, but it might be in ignorance. We may still need to say "Not my will, but Thine be done."

daqq

So this is how you treat important scriptures... :plain:
Titus 3:5 2 Timothy 1:9 Ephesians 2:9 and you are left treating the matters of God in a glib and unacceptable manner. Matthew 12:36-37

I'll quickly put you on ignore if you continue to treat the things of God and important matters as if they are your play toys. Who cares what I believe, I am concerned with the God of the universe and you are soundly reprimanded for being sacrilegious.

I have no interest in 'light, shallow, meaningless.' This post of yours is beneath any theologian. If you want to do theology out of a CrackerJacks box, I am not your man. Keep this garbage to yourself. It is offensive to God and man.

Perhaps you should look into the mirror and consider how you yourself either neglect or entirely discard many critical passages and statements from not only Yeshua but likewise Peter and Paul. "Repent" is a solitary example of just one single word that means "change your heart" or "change your mind" while your own theological blinders appear to be telling you that you cannot truly do such things to save your own skin or change the luck of your draw: nope, in your case it is all up to God. Your theology contradicts most everything that is taught in the most basic scripture understanding. To believe the truth one must first read, see, or hear it, which means that someone, somewhere, somehow, must first preach, speak, or write down the truth, (your Bible) so that you can see it, hear it, or read it. Once you see it, hear it, or read it, then you must decide whether or not you will believe it. If then one decides he or she believes it that is not the end but just the beginning. Once you believe what you hear or read, (especially in your Bible) will you decide to repent? Such is not always the case because there are those who believe the scripture is true and yet still do not repent and turn from their old ways and habits. Once a person makes a conscious decision to repent, (which is not just a one-time thing) then comes a conscious decision to begin studying, and reading, and immersing himself or herself into the word. There is no logic or reason to your arguments because you yourself are already doing some of these things while claiming that your efforts in doing such things have no bearing on the destination of your own soul/spirit/self. You are a veritable walking talking contradiction. :)

Lon

Perhaps you should look into the mirror and consider how you yourself either neglect or entirely discard many critical passages and statements from not only Yeshua but likewise Peter and Paul. "Repent" is a solitary example of just one single word that means "change your heart" or "change your mind" while your own theological blinders appear to be telling you that you cannot truly do such things to save your own skin or change the luck of your draw: nope, in your case it is all up to God.
You will have to wrestle with the scriptures, not me. John 15:5;16 1 John 4:10;19 Romans 9 Whether you read them or not isn't up to me. I will step away and you can deal with God directly instead of trying to make a mockery or scapegoat.

Your theology contradicts most everything that is taught in the most basic scripture understanding.
Your theology is more interested in mocking and attacking another's theology than reading and understanding scripture for yourself. Theology isn't politics. Keep it to yourself, seriously, I don't care what you think about my or anybody else's theology when you are as uncaring as all this and treating matters of faith in both vitriolic and glib responses.

To believe the truth one must first read, see, or hear it, which means that someone, somewhere, somehow, must first preach, speak, or write down the truth, (your Bible) so that you can see it, hear it, or read it. Once you see it, hear it, or read it, then you must decide whether or not you will believe it. If then one decides he or she believes it that is not the end but just the beginning. Once you believe what you hear or read, (especially in your Bible) will you decide to repent? Such is not always the case because there are those who believe the scripture is true and yet still do not repent and turn from their old ways and habits. Once a person makes a conscious decision to repent, (which is not just a one-time thing) then comes a conscious decision to begin studying, and reading, and immersing himself or herself into the word.
Physician heal thyself. I've given a lot of scriptures in thread, you? :nono:

There is no logic or reason to your arguments because you yourself are already doing some of these things while claiming that your efforts in doing such things have no bearing on the destination of your own soul/spirit/self. You are a veritable walking talking contradiction. :)
Your assessment. Who are you that I should care? I went to a NonCalvinist seminary and am completely aware of the differences. I don't really see you with any prowess, especially when you treat matters of faith and others glibly and sacrilegiously. Read your bible more, speak a LOT less. You are a punk and I don't mean that as a name-calling, but saying you treat others poorly, lacking respect, and treat issues of God without discernment or respect.
Get beyond 'punk' and learn to treat God and others in a mature way that has weight and genuine concern or not and keep doing Cracker Jacks theology that is worthless and quickly discarded and forgotten. Punks are never remembered nor anything they say. You are wasting your time and anybody else's that wastes their time reading you.

I have seen you do better, by far. Rise to the call and challenge. Stop being a punk.

daqq

Physician heal thyself...Rise to the call and challenge. Stop being a punk.

Huh? "Physician heal thyself"? It figures you would use such a statement when the Master said that was exactly what his own would say to him just before they tried to cast him headlong off a cliff outside of his own city, (Luke 4:23-29 KJV for those who do not know). So you knowingly take up the same idiom along with those who wanted to kill Yeshua and yet in the same breath label me a punk? :crackup:

Lon

Huh? "Physician heal thyself"? It figures you would use such a statement when the Master said that was exactly what his own would say to him just before they tried to cast him headlong off a cliff outside of his own city, (Luke 4:23-29 KJV for those who do not know). So you knowingly take up the same idiom along with those who wanted to kill Yeshua and yet in the same breath label me a punk? :crackup:
:think: Ephesians 2:8-10 :think: Romans 9:16 Ephesians 2:5
Read and treat scriptures, not me. Jesus quoted a Proverb that was already known and understood and didn't shoot down that message, just said it didn't apply to him, it does to you. He, was being gracious with his speech. You are being arrogant and being a punk. Stop being so and try, instead, to match me scripture for scripture. At least that way, you aren't being inane and punkish. You can 'assert' you are on the Lord's side all day long. Stand up and prove the point. I don't need your attitude, I either need you to 'show' or to sit down and let the adults talk. I'm not interested in this mean-spirited ill behavior. You are still being juvenile, yet. Jesus was being gracious (says so right in the text).

Zeke

As I said, this elongates the discussion and travels a very long road that the rest of us are far from. We embrace the OT as an accurate portrayal of God as well as hold the scriptures as inspired unlike any other document, and true. Our conversation must necessarily start there because you can at any time in conversation say you don't hold to it, as arbiter of what is inspired and what is not. Romans 11 doesn't remove Romans 9 and in fact, Romans 9 precedes Romans 11 on purpose.

Just like chapter 2 preceded 3, "which give's the remedy and antidote for both Jew/Gentile" who are under the same conscience law.

It should be elongated seeing you are saying I don't hold the scripture as being inspired, that would be true if taken literal and exclusive to some nationality or ethnic bloodline of privilege (Calvin's Motif) being used in a symbolic play (Galatians 4:24-28) concerning a inward kingdom built without hands Luke 17:20-21.

Western theology is stuck at Matt 11:11 and like Moses can see the promised land yet can never enter because that path isn't based on ones outward approach limited to an idealistic dogma at the expense of the rest of the worlds spiritual teachings that the Bible was assembled from.

The flower of Calvinistic election might not have the right number of petals to consistently play the game of exoteric based exclusions.

Lon

Just like chapter 2 preceded 3, "which give's the remedy and antidote for both Jew/Gentile" who are under the same conscience law.

It should be elongated seeing you are saying I don't hold the scripture as being inspired, that would be true if taken literal and exclusive to some nationality or ethnic bloodline of privilege (Calvin's Motif) being used in a symbolic play (Galatians 4:24-28) concerning a inward kingdom built without hands Luke 17:20-21.

At this point, I'm not talking as a Calvinist, but as a Christian. Scripture reading is its own authority and carries self-authenticating truth. The Urantia book is not inspired, not given by God, not profitable for teaching, correction, rebuking, or training in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16 I've no idea where you are, because your attacks and rejection was rather esoteric and disconnective, but your choice to remove yourself from Christian circles was/is your choice with not very much God in it, that I can see. It is akin to driving without a map. You may or may not get to your destination, but since it is a bit complicated, the likelihood is rather slim. The rest of us use maps, electronic or otherwise. John 14:6 There is no other way. Only a fool, frankly, drives a long distance shunning maps. He may be about scenery but that man has no destination but is carried about by every wind. Scripture, itself, tells you to read it and keep reading, such as in James, where the man who stops reading it, stops doing what it says, is like a man who no longer knows what he looks like if he doesn't use a mirror. James and the other Apostles are/were trying to tell you something. You ignore or reject them to your own demise.

Western theology is stuck at Matt 11:11 and like Moses can see the promised land yet can never enter because that path isn't based on ones outward approach limited to an idealistic dogma at the expense of the rest of the worlds spiritual teachings that the Bible was assembled from.

The flower of Calvinistic election might not have the right number of petals to consistently play the game of exoteric based exclusions.
:doh: Great, Zeke, there went most of Christianity with just you, Caino, and Freelight and a few other Urantia followers left :Z Cult mentality always amazes me "Just us! Not you!" When you flip that around, it would be "Most of us, not sure about you, but we are trying to follow the map God gave us and suggest strongly, you do the same."

Dialogos

Ok. Daniel also saw some stuff that was a vision of the future, including a beast or two. Later it was explained what those beasts were.... Turn it back to John--What did John see?
Do you think that all those people before the throne are representative of something else?

Bunnies perhaps. Maybe what God is really trying to get it is that there will be a throng of bunnies which no one could number before the throne... :rolleyes:

:doh:

No, I'm pretty sure that John saw people and those people are actual people, rather than cardboard cut-out stand-ins for nobody in particular. We can easily discern this from the fact that they were from every tribe, tongue, nation, etc...

Derf said:
Did he see an actual vision of the future, or did he see a representation of the future?
Doesn't matter, if the "representation" is an accurate picture of what will actually be true of the future, my argument remains the same.

Derf said:
Wow! that's powerful. You just say "wrong" and I get all quivery and fall to my knees. Maybe I'll try that...
Wrong. (What do you think? Did you get that quivery feeling?)
No, I got the all too familiar pain in my posterior feeling that often comes when someone is trying too hard to be clever.

:D

Derf said:
Kidding aside, I agree with you in a sense--that's why I suggested the translation wasn't the best. KJV does a bit better job on that verse, imo.
Why?

Derf said:
But there are other reasons to believe it's not an exact image of a scene/event from the future. Your description of Rev 5:4 below is a case in point. Do you think there will be a scene where this happens: (Rev 5:8) the four beasts and the 24 elders carry actual vials full of odours that are actually the prayers of the saints? (One might ask how those prayers were processed to turn them into odours. Is there a factory up in heaven that does this? Who produces the vials? Another factory?) So if Rev 5:4 is not literal, but a representation in prophetic terms, is it possible that you over-literalized Rev 7:9-10?
I don't think that allowing people to represent actual people from actual nation and actual tribes is over-literalization or "over-doing it."

Can you explain to me why you do?

Derf said:
I just went through some of this with Lon. How does Jesus know His sheep?
What does the text say?

Jesus knows them because the Father gives them to Jesus (verse 29).

Derf said:
Maybe several ways, but 2 of them are given in the verse: they hear His voice and they follow Him. This hearkens back to the parable he told earlier in the chapter, where He calls His own sheep by name and leads them out. The sheep follow Him. We would both probably call them "believers" (meaning they believe He is who He says He is and they do what He says.
You have placed the cart before the horse here. The reason that they hear his voice is because they are His sheep, that's the whole point of verse 26!

Derf said:
So when Jesus tells the "disbelievers" (Jn 10:25-26) that they are not of His sheep, He goes on to tell them: But if I do [the works of the Father], though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.(Jn 10:38) Why would He tell someone who is not one of His sheep to believe His works "that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him"? These guys had rocks in their hands, ready to stone Him. He was saying they weren't His sheep, but they should believe His works so that they could be His sheep.
Why are you trying to dispute verse 26 using verse 38?

Don't you think Jesus knew full well that they weren't going to believe Him given what verse 26 plainly tells us?

Derf said:
Really? No guarantee that anyone will be there? What about John? Do you think his situation is so desperate that even he might not be there among the throng?
Great, so John and the other 12 disciples does not a throng from every tribe, nation and tongue make.

I believe you have made my point for me.

So again I ask, how does God know that there will be countless numbers from every nation?

Derf said:
Do you really not think God is powerful enough to resurrect those who believe in Him without being able to see into the future?
Do you believe God is powerful enough to know the future because He is powerful enough to be sovereign over it?

Derf said:
I don't even see how you can link those powers of His in that way. Neither should you as a good Calvinist.
I don't think you understand Calvinism as well as you think you do.

God's attributes are not compartmentalized.

Derf said:
God doesn't derive His powers of foreknowledge from foresight, but rather from His ability to bring about what He wants.
Yes, and He knows that there will be people from every nation before the throne because that is what He desires, and he will bring it about.

Derf said:
The Westminster Confession says so, even: "yet hath he not decreed anything because
he foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass
upon such conditions." If God knows because He sees, then He is bound by what happens in the future--He has no power over it.
Not really.
Precisely why the passive foreknowledge of Arminianism does violence to the sovereignty of God. And why Open Theism destroys the concept of God's sovereignty altogether.

In Open Theism God is flying blind, making "educated" guesses instead of reliable prophecies. Its why Open Theists can really only see Revelation chapter 7 merely as a vision of what God "hopes" will happen but is hamstrung by the will of man to ensure.

Derf said:
Calvinism says that God will make some people like it.
No it doesn't. You don't understand Calvinism.

Calvinism says that God will give some the ability to like it because in and of their dead, rotting, fallen human flesh they are unable to respond to God in worship unless the Holy Spirit wakes them up from their dark slumber. The "it" (the worship of God) is so beautifully irresistible that all those so fully sanctified enthusiastically participate because the very nature of God is to be irresistible to those who have been made perfect by God's sanctifying grace.

Derf said:
Which means they don't really like it, they just think they do.
This is perhaps the silliest thing you've posted thus far:

:chuckle:

Try that self contradictory "Jedi mind trick" on a child eating ice cream and watch when they shrug at you when you tell them that they don't really like chocolate ice cream, they just think they do.

:chuckle:

Derf said:
But they don't really think, because that would suggest they could decide whether they like it or not. Instead, they think that they think.
Uh huh....

:rolleyes:

Got any more self contradictory nonsense for us?

Derf said:
And really, they just think that they think they they think that they like it.
Yup. Apparently you do.

Derf said:
(maybe you see where I'm going with this??)
Yes, I see where you are going. You are going nowhere fast...

Derf said:
Because it actually saves us from hell?
The gospel that men reject is the same as the one men embrace.

Derf said:
But it also requires us to actually put our own desires down and take His up?
I got it, and that comes from you, not the Holy Spirit, right? What really saves you is your inert selflessness. You are, despite your fallen nature, still inherently selfless enough to put your own desires down and take His up without any help from the Holy Spirit, is that what you are saying?

Derf said:
Because it brings us into contact with our maker? But it also requires us to acknowledge that our maker knows more than we do and therefore we should do what He says?
And your own inherent piety. The reason you are saved and your lost neighbor is lost is because (despite being lost) you are more inherently selfless and pious than your neighbor who is just selfish and impious, correct or incorrect?

How does that compare with the following:

"....and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Derf said:
I can see a lot of reasons it would be attractive, and I can see a lot of reasons it would be unattractive. They all boil down to whether we are willing to put Him first or not. Whether we want to worship Him or not.
Right.

I completely agree that from a non-Calvinistic standpoint it all boils down to how good, smart, pious, selfless, etc... we are compared to those pathetic lost souls who aren't as good, smart, pious, selfless, etc.... so that Christ's work on the cross is tantamount to God opening the door to heaven for all the good, smart, pious, and selfless people who are just better than those who will perish.

The contrary answer that Calvinism gives, and BTW the answer that scripture gives, is that it all boils down to God's mercy on those who don't deserve it anymore than the ones who will eventually perish.

That's all for now, I'll try to get to the rest of your post later.

Reactions: Lon

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God doesn't derive His powers of foreknowledge from foresight, but rather from His ability to bring about what He wants. The Westminster Confession says so, even: "yet hath he not decreed anything because he foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions." If God knows because He sees, then He is bound by what happens in the future--He has no power over it.

WCF 3.2:
"Although God knows whatsoever may or can come to pass upon all supposed conditions, (Acts 15:18, 1 Sam. 23:11-12, Matt. 11:21, 23) yet hath He not decreed anything because He foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions. (Rom. 9:11, 13, 16, 18) "

Key here is that God's decree establishes what He knows.

As Shaw notes:
"That God must have decreed all future things, is a conclusion which necessarily flows from his foreknowledge, independence, and immutability. The foreknowledge of God will necessarily infer a decree, for God could not foreknow that things would be, unless he had decreed they should be; and that because things would not be future, unless he had decreed they should be."

To imply foreknowledge implies causation is a logic error dealing with consequent necessity.

Necessity of a hypothetical inference...
If God foreknew Peter would sin, then Peter cannot refrain from sinning. (Incorrect)

The interpretation above wrongly interprets God's foreknowledge as impinging upon Peter's moral free agency. In other words, confusing foreknowledge as necessarily implying causation. Rather, the proper understanding is:

The necessity of the consequent of the hypothetical...
Necessarily, if God foreknew Peter would sin, then Peter does not refrain from sinning. (Correct)

In other words, the actions of moral free agents do not take place because they are foreseen, the actions are foreseen because the actions are certain to take place. Why are they certain to take place? Because God so decreed and hence knows. The decree includes, indeed establishes per His decree, the liberty of spontaneity of the moral agent—the ability to choose according to one's greatest inclinations at the moment one so chooses. Quite plainly, we have this liberty because God so decreed us to have it.

Plainly stated, claiming foreknowledge is causation is a contradiction that confuses the order of causes (what brings about an event) with the order of knowledge (that upon which knowledge of the event is based).

This is made clear in the WCF's summary (3.1) of the teachings of Scripture:

"God from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: (Eph. 1:11,Rom. 11:33, Heb. 6:17, Rom. 9:15,18) yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, (James 1:13,17, 1 John 1:5) nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established. (Acts 2:23, Matt. 17:12, Acts 4:27-28, John 19:11, Prov. 16:33)"

Probably the most eloquent description of God that has been written outside of His own testimony in Scripture is contained in the WCF:
Spoiler

Chapter 2. Of God...

1. There is but one only, (Deut. 6:4, 1 Cor. 8:4-6) living, and true God, (1 Thess. 1:9, Jer. 10:10) who is infinite in being and perfection, (Job 11:7-9, Job 26:14) a most pure spirit, (John 4:24) invisible, (1 Tim. 1:17) without body, parts, (Deut. 4:15-16, John 4:24, Luke 24:39) or passions; (Acts 14:11,15) immutable, (James 1:17, Mal. 3:6) immense, (1 Kings 8:27, Jer. 23:23-24) eternal, (Ps. 90:2, 1 Tim. 1:17) incomprehensible, (Ps. 145:3) almighty, (Gen. 17:1, Rev. 4:8) most wise, (Rom. 16:27) most holy, (Isa. 6:3, Rev. 4:8) most free, (Ps. 115:3) most absolute; (Exod. 3:14) working all things according to the counsel of His own immutable and most righteous will, (Eph. 1:11) for His own glory; (Prov. 16:4, Rom. 11:36) most loving, (1 John 4:8,16) gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin; (Exod. 34:6-7) the rewarder of them that diligently seek Him; (Heb. 11:6) and withal, most just, and terrible in His judgments, (Neh. 9:32-33) hating all sin, (Ps. 5:5-6) and who will by no means clear the guilty. (Nah. 1:2-3, Exod. 34:7)

2. God hath all life, (John 5:26) glory, (Acts 7:2) goodness, (Ps. 119:68) blessedness, (1 Tim. 6:15, Rom. 9:5) in and of Himself; and is alone in and unto Himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creatures which He hath made, (Acts 17:24-25) nor deriving any glory from them, (Job 22:2-3) but only manifesting His own glory in, by, unto, and upon them. He is the alone fountain of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom are all things (Rom. 11:36) and hath most sovereign dominion over them, to do by them, for them, or upon them whatsoever Himself pleaseth. (Rev. 4:11, 1 Tim. 6:15, Dan. 4:25, 35) In His sight all things are open and manifest, (Heb. 4:13) His knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature, (Rom. 11:33-34, Ps. 147:5) so as nothing is to Him contingent, or uncertain. (Acts 15:18, Ezek. 11:5) He is most holy in all His counsels, in all His works, and in all His commands. (Ps. 145:17, Rom. 7:12) To Him is due from angels and men, and every other creature, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience He is pleased to require of them. (Rev. 5:12-14)

It is impossible for an independent Being, God, to know in a dependent way. God must know in accordance with His own Being, which is ontologically other than the temporal world. Human knowledge is correspondent to God's knowledge. This is the well-known ectypal-archetypal distinction. What we know is ectypal. God is the archetype of all that can be known, hence His knowledge is archetypal (i.e., His knowledge is identical with His being). Given the "otherness" of God's being, in order to accommodate revelation that gives and uses divinely authorized analogies to reveal to us the truth that God want us to have, God condescends Himself to accommodate our creaturely limitations in speaking to us in Scripture, much as parents do when speaking of weighty matters with their children.

Now before someone who is paying attention closely weighs in and claims, then we really do not know anything, let me state that God's speaking to us ectypally in Scripture is His ideal communication of that Truth in a form accommodated to make that Truth known to His creatures. In other words, ectypal theology is not necessarily how we understand His revelation because we make errors due to our fallen condition. Rather, it is ideal in the sense the entire corpus of God's revelation has been truly communicated by God to reflect the archetype. We don't know God in se (in himself). No revelation is gives us access to God in se. We know God truly, but only as He stooped to accommodate Himself to us. We need to avoid the skepticism that says that we can't know anything truly and the rationalism that says that we can know what God knows the way he knows it. A little bit of divinization is a lot of divinization. ;)

This is important, especially to proponents of open theism that argue God is not atemporal and contend that since God knows time then He must be temporal. Using this same sort of illogic, then one could also argue that since God knows creatures, then He must be a creature. Yikes! Just because God knows about temporal succession does not mean He must know as temporal beings do. This is an unwarranted anthropocentrism.

The irony of the open theist's derisive claims that classical theism is a Greek pedigree seems lost to them, for they embrace the very Greek dualism they disavow. Whitehead's neoclassical process theism, which is the springboard of openism, was an admission by Whitehead himself to an updating of Plato. The open theist's "Greek!" canard is an old straw man usually constructed when someone wishes to reject some aspect of orthodox theology. The time is overdue to drop the ad hominem stereotypes, caricatures and straw-men attacks on the classical orthodox view of God and to reveal the radical departure of these neoclassical views from the I AM of Moses, Jesus, Augustine, Aquinas, Calvin, Luther and Wesley. Individuals have every right to deviate substantially from the orthodox view, but they have no right to consider themselves orthodox when they do.

AMR

Last edited:

Derf

I've "trimmed" again.
This first section about freewill and the Fall:
At least 'perpetrated' sin. I'm not sure Satan has to 'invent' it in order for us to have it. It is just that He was the one lying "you won't surely die!" I've no idea how Satan got it, but only one having it can pass it along to a sinless being (Adam and Eve), as far as my understanding. I'd much rather see Satan causing sin than God 'planning it.'
It is kind of weird, you and other Arminians, and even Open Theists, actually have God planning man to have a will that is 'able' to sin. A double-pred Calvinist actually agrees with you. There are then, a few of us Calvinists and Arminians that believe our free will is a result of sin.
So what you are saying is that we have to sin to know how to sin? If so, then how do we sin in the first place? You admit that eating of the tree was sin, right? but you say eating of the tree allowed us to be able to sin. In which case we couldn't have sinned by eating of the tree until we had already eaten of the tree, right?

Also, I think you have latched onto an idea that is unusual--that free will is a sinful condition. It's funny to me, because the Calvinism I've been exposed to says just the opposite--that sin causes a loss of free will. Iow, in the garden, Adam and Eve could either sin or not sin. After they sinned, they fell into a depraved state where they could only sin, thus they have no more free will. The definition of free will in that case includes the ability to do according to God's will and the ability not to do so. Your working definition is (correct me here if I get it wrong, but think first about whether I might have gotten it right): free will means only being able to do what God doesn't want.

(This portion until the next bolded section can be treated as the one topic of God's omniscience and whether it is acquired vs innate)
This would be 'dependent' knowledge or 'gained' knowledge. In addition to 'what God knows' is the question of 'how He knows it.'

I do not believe in a 'gained' knowledge because such would imply there are things God does not, or cannot know, until they happen. There are members here who literally believe God didn't know where Adam was when He came to find him. Genesis 3:9
I think that's a bad example of what you're trying to refute (and it's irresponsible of open theists to require such a refutation). Telling Abraham "now I know" in Gen 22:12 is a better one. Or saying about Sodom: "I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry that has come to me. And if not, I will know." (Gen 18:21) Both of these imply that God is looking for a particular response, and that knowing the heart is not quite good enough for Him--He wants to see some action to back it up. Abraham's faith was what He was praised for, but his actions were the evidence of the faith, ala James. Is it possible that God needs to see the actions to know for sure? That's what the scripture seems to indicate. Are we afraid of what scripture really says in these two places? We shouldn't be afraid of the truth. (Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying I have the truth, but I'm saying we should allow scripture to tell us what the truth is, even if we don't like it.)

Thus, God already has the name of your pony that doesn't exist simply because in the time-line, it is already part of His infinite expression (the line).
If I am destined to get a pony, perhaps. If not, then God knows something that isn't and never will be. Again, maybe it is useful to know such information, but it means God knows something that is not the truth. If He uses that information to interact with us, our interaction will be somewhat incomprehensible. (Imagine the conversation: God: "Derf, how is _____, your pet pony doing? Derf: "I don't have a pet pony. Surely You know that." God: "Well of course I know that. But if you did, its name would be _____." Derf: "I'm really glad to know that.")

In your words, if something is "already part of His infinite expression", at what point was it not? If the answer is "never", then God is as much a part of the movie as we are, and He can't change anything. If the answer is "at some point along the line", then God can change destiny--He is sovereign over it rather than the other way around.

Because of that, God is said to be relational to time, but cannot be constrained by it because such is a segmented, thus finite expression of what has always infinitely existed.
I don't claim to know how time works, or how sequence outside of time works, but God deciding to do something, like: "Let us make man in our image" suggests that He at least does things in some kind of order or sequence (AMR touched on this point and I think agrees with it, though I don't know if he would admit it). If His future is as settled as ours, and it would have to be for your statements to make sense, then He could not at any point not know He would make man in His image. Therefore He is locked into His own destiny as much as we are locked into ours. For instance, "before" He predestined us to glory, He already knew that we would be predestined to glory. I think the open view helps with this conundrum. At the same time, it introduces another, probably worse one, which is: what is God's starting point? But is it any better to put forward one solution that we don't understand in place of another one we don't understand? Only if the bible leans one way or another--without our presuppositions getting in the way (if that's possible). And the appeal to Judaic understanding isn't very strong considering how they received their messiah.
This next portion is all about my idea of 'assertion' that was started a few posts back now. It can be treated as a whole and probably "Oh, Okay." would work as a response (if you agree that is :) )
Oh, Okay. :)

Going to the original:
... That being the case, I should have just said "I think I agree with this." :)
As I said above, I should probably have just said "I think I agree" at that point, because this is a rabbit trail I didn't intend shoving you into the hole before me! (nor had I realized it would travel 5 posts or so :noway: )
I'll consider this "win" as due to my indefatigable stubbornness.:eek: :the_wave:

Derf

Hi AMR,
Welcome back to the discussion.

For those reading along, this is AMR's way of saying "Derf is correct." (At least about where I said the Westminster confession says God knows because He decreed it, rather than the other way around.)

Thanks AMR!

And to show what a good guy I am, I agree with you about the greek influence thing (at the end of your post). It doesn't really matter where the influence comes from, if it's not supportable from scripture, it should go--including stuff in the Westminster Confession, yes?
WCF 3.2:
"Although God knows whatsoever may or can come to pass upon all supposed conditions, (Acts 15:18, 1 Sam. 23:11-12, Matt. 11:21, 23) yet hath He not decreed anything because He foresaw it as future, or as that which would come to pass upon such conditions. (Rom. 9:11, 13, 16, 18) "

Key here is that God's decree establishes what He knows.

As Shaw notes:
"That God must have decreed all future things, is a conclusion which necessarily flows from his foreknowledge, independence, and immutability. The foreknowledge of God will necessarily infer a decree, for God could not foreknow that things would be, unless he had decreed they should be; and that because things would not be future, unless he had decreed they should be."

To imply foreknowledge implies causation is a logic error dealing with consequent necessity.

Necessity of a hypothetical inference...
If God foreknew Peter would sin, then Peter cannot refrain from sinning. (Incorrect)

The interpretation above wrongly interprets God's foreknowledge as impinging upon Peter's moral free agency. In other words, confusing foreknowledge as necessarily implying causation. Rather, the proper understanding is:

The necessity of the consequent of the hypothetical...
Necessarily, if God foreknew Peter would sin, then Peter does not refrain from sinning. (Correct)

In other words, the actions of moral free agents do not take place because they are foreseen, the actions are foreseen because the actions are certain to take place. Why are they certain to take place? Because God so decreed and hence knows. The decree includes, indeed establishes per His decree, the liberty of spontaneity of the moral agent—the ability to choose according to one's greatest inclinations at the moment one so chooses. Quite plainly, we have this liberty because God so decreed us to have it.

Plainly stated, claiming foreknowledge is causation is a contradiction that confuses the order of causes (what brings about an event) with the order of knowledge (that upon which knowledge of the event is based).

This is made clear in the WCF's summary (3.1) of the teachings of Scripture:

"God from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: (Eph. 1:11,Rom. 11:33, Heb. 6:17, Rom. 9:15,18) yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, (James 1:13,17, 1 John 1:5) nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established. (Acts 2:23, Matt. 17:12, Acts 4:27-28, John 19:11, Prov. 16:33)"

Probably the most eloquent description of God that has been written outside of His own testimony in Scripture is contained in the WCF:
Spoiler

Chapter 2. Of God...

1. There is but one only, (Deut. 6:4, 1 Cor. 8:4-6) living, and true God, (1 Thess. 1:9, Jer. 10:10) who is infinite in being and perfection, (Job 11:7-9, Job 26:14) a most pure spirit, (John 4:24) invisible, (1 Tim. 1:17) without body, parts, (Deut. 4:15-16, John 4:24, Luke 24:39) or passions; (Acts 14:11,15) immutable, (James 1:17, Mal. 3:6) immense, (1 Kings 8:27, Jer. 23:23-24) eternal, (Ps. 90:2, 1 Tim. 1:17) incomprehensible, (Ps. 145:3) almighty, (Gen. 17:1, Rev. 4:8) most wise, (Rom. 16:27) most holy, (Isa. 6:3, Rev. 4:8) most free, (Ps. 115:3) most absolute; (Exod. 3:14) working all things according to the counsel of His own immutable and most righteous will, (Eph. 1:11) for His own glory; (Prov. 16:4, Rom. 11:36) most loving, (1 John 4:8,16) gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin; (Exod. 34:6-7) the rewarder of them that diligently seek Him; (Heb. 11:6) and withal, most just, and terrible in His judgments, (Neh. 9:32-33) hating all sin, (Ps. 5:5-6) and who will by no means clear the guilty. (Nah. 1:2-3, Exod. 34:7)

2. God hath all life, (John 5:26) glory, (Acts 7:2) goodness, (Ps. 119:68) blessedness, (1 Tim. 6:15, Rom. 9:5) in and of Himself; and is alone in and unto Himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creatures which He hath made, (Acts 17:24-25) nor deriving any glory from them, (Job 22:2-3) but only manifesting His own glory in, by, unto, and upon them. He is the alone fountain of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom are all things (Rom. 11:36) and hath most sovereign dominion over them, to do by them, for them, or upon them whatsoever Himself pleaseth. (Rev. 4:11, 1 Tim. 6:15, Dan. 4:25, 35) In His sight all things are open and manifest, (Heb. 4:13) His knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature, (Rom. 11:33-34, Ps. 147:5) so as nothing is to Him contingent, or uncertain. (Acts 15:18, Ezek. 11:5) He is most holy in all His counsels, in all His works, and in all His commands. (Ps. 145:17, Rom. 7:12) To Him is due from angels and men, and every other creature, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience He is pleased to require of them. (Rev. 5:12-14)

It is impossible for an independent Being, God, to know in a dependent way. God must know in accordance with His own Being, which is ontologically other than the temporal world. Human knowledge is correspondent to God's knowledge. This is the well-known ectypal-archetypal distinction. What we know is ectypal. God is the archetype of all that can be known, hence His knowledge is archetypal. Given the "otherness" of God's being, in order to accommodate revelation that gives and uses divinely authorized analogies to reveal to us the truth that God want us to have, God condescends Himself to accommodate our creaturely limitations in speaking to us in Scripture, much as parents do when speaking of weighty matters with their children.

Now before someone who is paying attention closely weighs in and claims, then we really do not know anything, let me state that God's speaking to us ectypally in Scripture is His ideal communication of that Truth in a form accommodated to make that Truth known to His creatures. In other words, ectypal theology is not necessarily how we understand His revelation because we make errors due to our fallen condition. Rather, it is ideal in the sense the entire corpus of God's revelation has been truly communicated by God to reflect the archetype. We don't know God in se (in himself). No revelation is gives us access to God in se. We know God truly, but only as He stooped to accommodate Himself to us. We need to avoid the skepticism that says that we can't know anything truly and the rationalism that says that we can know what God knows the way he knows it. A little bit of divinization is a lot of divinization. ;)

This is important, especially to proponents of open theism that argue God is not atemporal and contend that since God knows time then He must be temporal. Using this same sort of illogic, then one could also argue that since God knows creatures, then He must be a creature. Yikes! Just because God knows about temporal succession does not mean He must know as temporal beings do. This is an unwarranted anthropocentrism.

The irony of the open theist's derisive claims that classical theism is a Greek pedigree seems lost to them, for they embrace the very Greek dualism they disavow. Whitehead's neoclassical process theism, which is the springboard of openism, was an admission by Whitehead himself to an updating of Plato. The open theist's "Greek!" canard is an old straw man usually constructed when someone wishes to reject some aspect of orthodox theology. The time is overdue to drop the ad hominem stereotypes, caricatures and straw-men attacks on the classical orthodox view of God and to reveal the radical departure of these neoclassical views from the I AM of Moses, Jesus, Augustine, Aquinas, Calvin, Luther and Wesley. Individuals have every right to deviate substantially from the orthodox view, but they have no right to consider themselves orthodox when they do.

AMR

OCTOBER23

REFORMED THEOLOGY
===============

So , God " Reformed " Adam out of the dust of the Earth.

1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first "Reformed," then Eve.

Le 26:23 And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things,
but will walk contrary unto me;
24 Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins.

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And to show what a good guy I am, I agree with you about the greek influence thing (at the end of your post).
Good for you!

It doesn't really matter where the influence comes from, if it's not supportable from scripture, it should go--including stuff in the Westminster Confession, yes?
Of course I would agree.

All confessions and creeds are subordinate to the norming norm, Scripture. In fact, the WCF makes that point quite clear.

WCF 1.10: "The supreme judge by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined, and in whose sentence we are to rest, can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture. (Matt. 22:29, 31, Eph. 2:20, Acts 28:25) "

The judgments of the church about weighty matters within Scripture are found in creeds and confessions. They are the authoritative confessions of the communion of saints in the covenantal body of Christ. After all, if we believe the essential truths of the Scriptures to be perspicuous, then ecumenical confession of creeds and confessions follows since they are but written forms of the confession of faith (hermeneutical consensus) of the universal church. And while it follows that infallibility necessitates inerrancy, it does not follow that fallibility necessitates errancy. A fallible church may create inerrant documents. Not unexpectedly, not a few of those that complain about creeds and confessions are the one's who disagree with their content. Men are seldom opposed to creeds and confessions, until creeds and confessions have become opposed to them. ;)

Perhaps one day open theists will actually publish a confession of faith as a communion under the auspices of its church authorities. Better to stand for something than fall for anything.

AMR