Question: If God exists, why is there evil?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So you think that means we are designed to sin?

Without God's Spirit it is not possible to keep his law, the result is sin.

We can count the number of persons who didn't sin on one finger.

Christ agreed to be come a sacrifice for sin before humans were created.

Why?

oatmeal

"For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God, for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be." (Romans 8:6-7)

The carnal mind is the natural mind of a person without God's Spirit. His Spirit makes all the difference.

Well, man that is Adam and Eve had spirit. They were body and soul and spirit. Isaiah 43:7. Adam and Eve sinned and lost that spiritual connection with God. All men after that were born spiritless with the sole exception of John the B who had spirit from his mother's womb, not even Jesus Christ had that.

Jesus Christ did not have spirit till it was descended upon him at his baptism by John

Man was designed to obey God. But man by his God given free will does not always choose to obey God.

glorydaz

Well, man that is Adam and Eve had spirit. They were body and soul and spirit. Isaiah 43:7. Adam and Eve sinned and lost that spiritual connection with God. All men after that were born spiritless with the sole exception of John the B who had spirit from his mother's womb, not even Jesus Christ had that.

Jesus Christ did not have spirit till it was descended upon him at his baptism by John

Man was designed to obey God. But man by his God given free will does not always choose to obey God.

No, man is triune...with a body, soul, and spirit. You're confusing the Holy Spirit with the spirit of man.

1 Corinthians 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Proverbs 20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly.​

oatmeal

No, man is triune...with a body, soul, and spirit. You're confusing the Holy Spirit with the spirit of man.

1 Corinthians 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Proverbs 20:27 The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly.​

Well, believe what you want.

I received the gift from the Holy Spirit, which is given to me. I John 4:13

glorydaz

Well, believe what you want.

I received the gift from the Holy Spirit, which is given to me. I John 4:13

I'm just showing you what Scripture says. It says man has a spirit of his own. You're talking about the Holy Spirit. Notice your verse says His Spirit. Read the verses I gave you again, and you'll see man has his own spirit.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Not according to Calvinism.
Calvinism teaches that no one can do anything except what GOD has predetermined them to do.
Everything man does is because GOD predetermined them to do it.
Not just foreknowledge of what men do, but actually predetermined what men do.

Are you sure of yourself, here?

Can you cite Reformers (Calvinists) that say what you say they say? :think:

Please consider this correction to your claim:

God predetermines what men will BE, which in turn determines what men will DO.

Yes?

oatmeal

Are you sure of yourself, here?

Can you cite Reformers (Calvinists) that say what you say they say? :think:

Please consider this correction to your claim:

God predetermines what men will BE, which in turn determines what men will DO.

Yes?

Where does scripture say that God predetermines what men will be?

oatmeal

I'm just showing you what Scripture says. It says man has a spirit of his own. You're talking about the Holy Spirit. Notice your verse says His Spirit. Read the verses I gave you again, and you'll see man has his own spirit.

Soul is referred to as spirit because life/soul is spiritual, but it is not eternal life spirit, which is the gift from the Holy Spirit which is holy spirit.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And this somehow negates all the rest of scripture?

"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

Spirit - pneuma, soul - psyche (mind), body - soma.

Three different Greek words with three different meanings.

Stuu

The Father allows evil for our benefit.
From the Holy Wikipedia page on the British chemist and well-known atheist Peter Atkins:

He appeared on a television panel about science and religion with Richard Dawkins and Richard Swinburne. When the latter tried to explain the Holocaust as God's way of giving Jews the opportunity to be brave and noble, Atkins growled: "May you rot in hell"

I tend to agree, in regards to your statement.

Stuart

oatmeal

"Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

Spirit - pneuma, soul - psyche (mind), body - soma.

Three different Greek words with three different meanings.

Yes, that is right.

Three different words used to describe three different things.

Well, God's word is perfectly precise in how God stated truth, for God is perfect and is the perfect communicator.

So we must study how God communicates his himself in his logos, his message to us. He communicates in sundry manners but most notably His logos is by the written word, the logos in writing and within the written word by the life of Jesus Christ, the logos, the message in the flesh.

More specifically we must understand that our "knowledge" does not exclude God from using figures of speech or using words according to His wisdom and knowledge and understanding and His decision of what and how to communicate truths.

In Psalm 18:2 we see God describing himself as a rock (fortress) a buckler, a horn, a high tower. Is God literally these things? Nope.

Jesus Christ is referred to as the chief corner stone. Is Jesus Christ literally a rock, granite or whatever, that was used to build a physical building or is that a figure of speech?

We are called living stones, what does that mean?

God uses the phrase "spirit of man" referring to soul in 1 Corinthians 2:11

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

God refers to soul as "spirit of man" for soul is spiritual but it is not the gift of holy spirit from the Holy Spirit. Soul is not the gift from the Holy Spirit. I John 4:13, which God gave, soul is not eternal life spirit, which is holy and cannot sin. Soul can sin and does sin, hence the need for a lord and savior and redeemer.

Maybe that will clarify this for you.

oatmeal

The Father allows evil for our benefit.

We learn evil by hands-on training.

The rain falls on the just and the unjust.

God never uses evil to accomplish good.

We are not to overcome with evil, but to overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

God is good always, He is light and in him is no darkness at all. I John 1:5

Evil is the antithesis of God's goodness.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
From the Holy Wikipedia page on the British chemist and well-known atheist Peter Atkins:

He appeared on a television panel about science and religion with Richard Dawkins and Richard Swinburne. When the latter tried to explain the Holocaust as God's way of giving Jews the opportunity to be brave and noble, Atkins growled: "May you rot in hell"

I tend to agree, in regards to your statement.

Thank you, Stuart, but I prefer to be cremated not buried.