ECT Proof: You were only forgiven of your past sins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZacharyB

At the moment you were born-again …
you were only forgiven of the sins you had committed up to that point in time!

“For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his OLD sins. Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for IF you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” (2 Peter 1:9-11, NKJV)
“OLD sins” is also in the KJV, RSV, NLT, AMP

“having forgotten his purification from his FORMER sins.” (2 Peter 1:9, NASB)
“FORMER sins” is also in the ESV

“forgetting that they have been cleansed from their PAST sins.” (2 Peter 1:9, NIV)
“PAST sins” is also in the HCSB

Now for some confirming NT passages …

Paul wrote this to the Corinthian church concerning his words of rebuke
in 1 Corinthians that he had sent to them concerning some particular sin(s).
They really needed to be sorrowful and repent.

“… the pain (from his rebuke) caused you to repent and change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants His people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way. For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. … worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual (eternal) death.”
(2 Corinthians 7:8-10, NLT)

“Yes, I am afraid that when I come again, God will humble me in your presence. And I will be grieved because many of you have not given up your old sins. You have not repented of your impurity, sexual immorality, and eagerness for lustful pleasure.” (2 Corinthians 12:21, NLT)

Peter is warning believers about God’s destruction of all ungodly and unholy people:
“Then he used the water to destroy the ancient (ungodly) world … the day of judgment, when ungodly people will be destroyed. … He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed (perish spiritually), but (he) wants everyone to repent. … what holy and godly lives you should live … (you) make every effort to be found living peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight. … I am warning you ahead of time … Be on guard so that you will not be carried away by the errors …” (2 Peter 3:6-17, NLT)

John gives the condition for the Lord to forgive believers’ present sins:
“But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all wickedness (unrighteousness).” (1 John 1:9, NLT)

“This is an extremely important verse … all men need to be repeatedly purified from all unrighteousness – from all their sins … We must confess our sins and turn from them …
We must also confess them with our actions … (John) is talking here about repentance …
we must hate our sins and turn from them. This is true repentance.”
(The Applied New Testament Commentary; Dr. Thomas Hale)

2 verses later, John reminds believers to ask Jesus to plead our case before the Father:
“My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.
But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father.
He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.” (1 John 2:1, NLT)

Believers are responsible for repenting of their sins after they are born-again!
They have been given the Holy Spirit, a totally new nature, and God’s word.
So, they have been enabled to be victorious overcomers over sin, the world, and the devil.
They have no excuse for failing to do this.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
At the moment you were born-again …
you were only forgiven of the sins you had committed up to that point in time!

“For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his OLD sins. Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for IF you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” (2 Peter 1:9-11, NKJV)
“OLD sins” is also in the KJV, RSV, NLT, AMP

“having forgotten his purification from his FORMER sins.” (2 Peter 1:9, NASB)
“FORMER sins” is also in the ESV

“forgetting that they have been cleansed from their PAST sins.” (2 Peter 1:9, NIV)
“PAST sins” is also in the HCSB

Now for some confirming NT passages …

Paul wrote this to the Corinthian church concerning his words of rebuke
in 1 Corinthians that he had sent to them concerning some particular sin(s).
They really needed to be sorrowful and repent.

“… the pain (from his rebuke) caused you to repent and change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants His people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way. For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. … worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual (eternal) death.”
(2 Corinthians 7:8-10, NLT)

“Yes, I am afraid that when I come again, God will humble me in your presence. And I will be grieved because many of you have not given up your old sins. You have not repented of your impurity, sexual immorality, and eagerness for lustful pleasure.” (2 Corinthians 12:21, NLT)

Peter is warning believers about God’s destruction of all ungodly and unholy people:
“Then he used the water to destroy the ancient (ungodly) world … the day of judgment, when ungodly people will be destroyed. … He is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed (perish spiritually), but (he) wants everyone to repent. … what holy and godly lives you should live … (you) make every effort to be found living peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight. … I am warning you ahead of time … Be on guard so that you will not be carried away by the errors …” (2 Peter 3:6-17, NLT)

John gives the condition for the Lord to forgive believers’ present sins:
“But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all wickedness (unrighteousness).” (1 John 1:9, NLT)

“This is an extremely important verse … all men need to be repeatedly purified from all unrighteousness – from all their sins … We must confess our sins and turn from them …
We must also confess them with our actions … (John) is talking here about repentance …
we must hate our sins and turn from them. This is true repentance.”
(The Applied New Testament Commentary; Dr. Thomas Hale)

2 verses later, John reminds believers to ask Jesus to plead our case before the Father:
“My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.
But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father.
He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.” (1 John 2:1, NLT)

Believers are responsible for repenting of their sins after they are born-again!
They have been given the Holy Spirit, a totally new nature, and God’s word.
So, they have been enabled to be victorious overcomers over sin, the world, and the devil.
They have no excuse for failing to do this.
Sounds like someone doesn't know how to rightly divide God's word.

ZacharyB

Discussing verses won't go anywhere with this topic. Revising your paradigm of thinking will. So unless you're willing to take a step back and get a bigger picture, I'm not willing to tackle the verses in the OP.
There are very few topics
which seem to have 2 opposing sides,
(with NT verses on each side),
that I cannot RECONCILE.
How about thou?

Rosenritter

Is repentance a single action or a continual action? Or is the word used with both meanings and people sometimes confuse the two?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
There are very few topics which seem to have 2 opposing sides,

There are plenty of topics that have two opposing sides. Baptism required or not, tithing required or not, saved by works+faith or by faith only, when will the rapture be, will there be a rapture, and many more which I don't have the time to list here.

(with NT verses on each side), that I cannot RECONCILE.

And therein lies the problem. You have to reconcile verses with other verses that don't fit. Your paradigm won't allow you to do otherwise.

How about thou?

I just read the Bible as is, I let it say what it says, instead of trying to force everything to say the same thing.

ZacharyB

Is repentance a single action or a continual action?
Or is the word used with both meanings and people sometimes confuse the two?
Repentance is required initially to receive the Holy Spirit.
(Some people call this the born-again experience.)
Then repentance of future sins is also required,
but having the correct heart attitude towards sin
is the most important thing.
IOW, repenting perfectly is not necessary.
Also, those who love Jesus will obey is commandments
(see all of John 14).
Who gets to heaven who doesn't love Jesus?

ZacharyB

I just read the Bible as is, I let it say what it says,
instead of trying to force everything to say the same thing.
IMO, those like you tend to reject one set of verses in favor of your favorite ones.
But, for example ...
The John 3:16 type of verses can be reconciled with
those verses that warn of losing salvation.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
IMO, those like you tend to reject one set of verses in favor of your favorite ones.
But, for example ...
The John 3:16 type of verses can be reconciled with those verses that warn of losing salvation.

I think you need to look in the mirror.

I don't reject ANY verses. I accept them all to mean EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY, without trying to force a belief into the passage to make it say something that fits my beliefs.

Some verses, meaning exactly what they say, say that one can lose his salvation. Other verses, which mean exactly what they say, say that one can never lose his salvation.

The difference between you and I is that you try to shoehorn your beliefs into some scriptures by using other scriptures as your foundation. I simply take scripture at face value.

To solve your problem requires not just a few key verses, but an entire shift in your thinking, a paradigm shift from thinking that somehow the entire Bible says the same thing, to acknowledging that it says different things at different times to different peoples. The problem with that is that I can't do it for you. You have to be the one to shift your thinking.

ZacharyB

... acknowledging that it says different things at different times to different peoples.
IMO, this would mean that some verses must contradict other verses.
Verses for baby believers vs. verses for deeper believers.
Nah, sorry, reconciliation over misunderstanding.

Shallow misunderstanding results in perceived drastically opposed verses.
Most of your issues in post #8 are shallow issues - misunderstandings!

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
IMO, this would mean that some verses must contradict other verses.

SOME VERSES DO CONTRADICT.

Verses such as those that say one can lose their salvation as opposed to verses that say onr cannot.

Verses such as those that say we are saved by faith plus works as opposed to those that say we are saved only by grace through faith.

You cannot reconcile verses such as those without taking the verses out of context and twisting them to mean something that they clearly do not mean.

Verses for baby believers vs. verses for deeper believers.

This has nothing to do with "milk vs meat," Zach. This is a discussion on rightly dividing God's word.

Nah, sorry, reconciliation over misunderstanding.

Ok, then, let's try your "reconciliation" method.

Do you believe that Paul preached the same message as the Twelve? If so, then tell me why Paul was necessary at all.

heir

TOL Subscriber
The gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth (Romans 1:16 KJV). Since IT is the power of God and how we are made partakers (Ephesians 3:6 KJV). Everything else you put as a requirement concerning salvation is religious, but lost talk...(2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV).

glorydaz

(Some people call this the born-again experience.)
Then repentance of future sins is also required,
but having the correct heart attitude towards sin
is the most important thing.
IOW, repenting perfectly is not necessary.
Also, those who love Jesus will obey is commandments
(see all of John 14).
Who gets to heaven who doesn't love Jesus?

One either believes or they don't. There is no in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.