President Trump tests positive for COVID-19

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I heard he passed a virus that causes raging paranoia.

Yes, one that has resulted in most of the country being on lockdown for seven months and counting.

And other nations that took effective action didn't have to shut down nearly as long, and didn't have nearly as many people die. Trump knew how bad it was going to be, and lied to us about it. And tens of thousands of Americans died because of his lies:

Social distancing a week earlier could have saved 36,000 American lives, study says

The Columbia study — which was first
reported by the New York Times Wednesday — received widespread attention as the U.S. searches for answers for why it became the hardest hit country in the world, with case numbers eclipsing 1.6 million and the death toll approaching 100,000.

Trump has been personally blamed for not
acting sooner in his response to the virus, ignoring key indications the virus was raging inside the U.S. before the government acted.

In response, the president routinely points to his decision to
restrict travel from China at the end of January; “When I ban China from coming in, first time anything like that ever happened, I took tremendous heat,” he said during the interview Sunday.

But critics argue the president didn’t do enough to help states ramp up testing or encourage governors to implement restrictions; states first
began imposing stay-at-home orders and lockdowns on March 19, when there were around 9,100 cases, and Trump didn’t issue guidelines suggesting Americans limit gathering of ten or more people until March 16.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbr...liberal-disgraceful-institution/#3a5b89d028eb

genuineoriginal

Trump knew how bad it was going to be, and lied to us about it. And tens of thousands of Americans died because of his lies:

Nobody knew how bad it was going to be.
Trump had to look at the best course of action for the United States.
Should he destroy the economy to prevent the spread of the disease or not?
He tried to prevent the spread of the disease without destroying the economy, the right thing to do.

The US has a 2.8% case-fatality rate, which is great compared to the 8.4% of the United Kingdom.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

If you need to blame someone for the deaths, blame Communist China.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Nobody knew how bad it was going to be.

Woodward got Trump on tape, admitting he knew. He lied to us about it, and tens of thousands of Americans died because he lied.

Trump had to look at the best course of action for the United States.

But instead, he didn't want to "look bad", so he did what he thought was the best course of action for Donald Trump. He lied to us. And tens of thousands of Americans died because of that. And when the pandemic spun out of control because he was too late in implementing effective controls the economy was in shambles due to his incompetence.

Should he destroy the economy to prevent the spread of the disease or not?

He destroyed it to hide the seriousness of the disease.

The US has a 2.8% case-fatality rate,

It's now the third-leading cause of death in America.

Aug. 18, 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic has spread so rapidly since the first U.S. case was reported Jan. 20 that it’s now the third-leading cause of death in the country, Thomas Frieden, MD, former director of the CDC, told CNN.

"COVID is now the No. 3 cause of death in the U.S. -- ahead of accidents, injuries,
lung disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, and many, many other causes," Frieden said.

The CDC says
heart disease and cancer are the first- and second-leading causes of death.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200818/covid-the-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-the-us

Thanks to Donald Trump and his bungling of the crisis.

Nice try. They lied, too. But as Woodward documented on tape, Trump knew better, and lied to us about it. About 36,000 Americans died needlessly because of his dishonesty and incompetence.

way 2 go

No,that's wrong.

He noted that the 6% figure includes cases where COVID-19 was listed as the only cause of death. “That does not mean that someone who has hypertension or diabetes who dies of Covid didn’t die of Covid-19. They did,” Fauci said on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

“So the numbers you’ve been hearing — the 180,000-plus deaths — are real deaths from Covid-19. Let [there] not be any confusion about that,” Fauci said

Completely wrong. You've just failed to understand what was written. That's why Dr. Fauci explained it to you. I don't think he can make if more simple than that.

so still not wrong

For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death.

where is the constant news coverage of heart disease
Number of adults with diagnosed heart disease: 30.3 million
Number of deaths from heart disease:647,457

chair

The US has a 2.8% case-fatality rate, which is great compared to the 8.4% of the United Kingdom.
"case fatality rate" is the percentage of diagnosed people who die. It is a very poor metric of how any particular country has done, as it depends on the amount of testing. A more straightforward and honest metric is deaths per million population, for which the US and UK are roughly equal. In any case- why the comparison to the UK- or to any other country for that matter? Maybe you'd prefer to compare the US to Taiwan? The question is whether the US could have done better.

Complete total nonsense. Childish nonsense. It started in China, but it was not a secret. Some countries dealt with it better than others. I thought taking responsibility for your own actions was something conservatives believe in.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
As Dr. Fauci points out, you're completely wrong. As the CDC points out, you're completely wrong:

Aug. 18, 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic has spread so rapidly since the first U.S. case was reported Jan. 20 that it’s now the third-leading cause of death in the country, Thomas Frieden, MD, former director of the CDC, told CNN.

"COVID is now the No. 3 cause of death in the U.S. -- ahead of accidents, injuries,
lung disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, and many, many other causes," Frieden said.

The CDC says
heart disease and cancer are the first- and second-leading causes of death.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...eath-in-the-us

where is the constant news coverage of heart disease

See above. It's a constant in public health messages. You just don't pay attention. If heart disease had appeared suddenly, as the coronavirus did, there would be similar attention paid to it.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
...A more straightforward and honest metric is deaths per million population, for which the US and UK are roughly equal....
I'm OK with that. America and England are the closest countries with regard to political ideology, and while I'd put the US above the UK in our regard for individual rights, historically the US ideology grew out of the UK's ideological soil. We both have a high regard for our inborn liberties.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In a message smuggled out of the White House...

chair

I'm OK with that. America and England are the closest countries with regard to political ideology, and while I'd put the US above the UK in our regard for individual rights, historically the US ideology grew out of the UK's ideological soil. We both have a high regard for our inborn liberties.

There is no question that democracies in general have a harder time dealing with this than totalitarian countries. But even among democracies, one can do much better by facing up to reality.
As far as economies go- Communist China, with its strict lockdown and mask rules, is doing great.

Wearing masks and social distancing are a way of saving the economy.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no question that democracies in general have a harder time dealing with this than totalitarian countries. But even among democracies, one can do much better by facing up to reality.
As far as economies go- Communist China, with its strict lockdown and mask rules, is doing great.

Anyone who believes that China was not more badly affected than the US is a complete moron.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
There is no question that democracies in general have a harder time dealing with this than totalitarian countries.
Right. What is in question is whether liberal democracies are specifically better than totalitarian regimes for pandemics. That however shouldn't be in question either, not just based on consequantialism but based on fundamentals.
But even among democracies, one can do much better by facing up to reality.
Making laws that violate rights is the wrong idea in all cases. People are well within their rights to wear face coverings as they go about their business, and people are also well within their rights to go about their business without wearing face coverings.
What has been your direct personal experience in China? Mine hasn't been very positive, with the notable exception that they tend to permit smoking everywhere, a policy I agree with.
Also letting businesses open and operate. That too has been demonstrated to be better for the economy than not letting them open and operate.

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
They are still not telling us the whole truth about the super spreader event.

34 people connected to White House, more than previously known, infected by coronavirus: Internal FEMA memo

The administration has sought to downplay the spread.
The coronavirus outbreak has infected "34 White House staffers and other contacts" in recent days, according to an internal government memo, an indication that
the disease has spread among more people than previously known in the seat of American government.

Dated Wednesday and obtained by ABC News, the memo was distributed among senior leadership at FEMA, a branch of the Department of Homeland Security and the agency responsible for managing the continuing national response to the public
health disaster.

The memo also notes that a senior adviser to the president is among those infected. Hope Hicks and Stephen Miller, both senior aides to the president, have
tested positive in recent days.

The new figures underscore both the growing crisis in the White House and the lengths to which government officials have gone to block information about the outbreak's spread. ABC News had previously reported that a total of 24 White House aides and their contacts had
contracted the virus. It was not clear in the FEMA memo with the larger number what “other contacts” referred to.
On Tuesday, White House Communications Director Alyssa Farah said the White House was "taking precautions" to stem the spread and that those still working in the West Wing "feel comfortable."

But on Wednesday, images emerged showing several White House aides interacting in close proximity with one another without masks.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/34-...onavirus/story?id=73487381&cid=social_fb_abcn

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
And since Trump can never accept responsibility for anything he messes up...

Donald Trump Now Blaming Gold Star Families for Infecting Him With COVID-19
“They want to hug me, and they want to kiss me.”
“You know, it’s very hard, when you’re with soldiers,” he told the Fox News host, just hours before revealing that he and the first lady had tested positive as well. “When you’re with airmen, when you’re with Marines, and I’m with—and the police officers. I’m with them so much. And when they come over here, it’s very hard to say, stay back, stay back. It’s a tough kind of a situation. It’s very, very hard when you are with people from the military or from law enforcement, and they come over to you, and they want to hug you, and they want to kiss you, because we really have done a good job for them. And you get close, and things happen.” And now that he’s had time to think it over, he’s decided to be more specific: It’s not the military in general to blame, but gold star families.

Speaking to Maria Bartiromo during a particularly off-the-rails segment, the president
suggested on Thursday that it was the families of soldiers who died in combat who got him sick. “I met with gold star families,” he told the Fox Business host. “I didn’t want to cancel that. But they all came in, and they all talk about their son and daughter and father. And, you know, they all came up to me, and they tell me a story.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...es-coronavirus

He's getting crazier and crazier as time goes on.

Arthur Brain

And since Trump can never accept responsibility for anything he messes up...

Donald Trump Now Blaming Gold Star Families for Infecting Him With COVID-19
“They want to hug me, and they want to kiss me.”
“You know, it’s very hard, when you’re with soldiers,” he told the Fox News host, just hours before revealing that he and the first lady had tested positive as well. “When you’re with airmen, when you’re with Marines, and I’m with—and the police officers. I’m with them so much. And when they come over here, it’s very hard to say, stay back, stay back. It’s a tough kind of a situation. It’s very, very hard when you are with people from the military or from law enforcement, and they come over to you, and they want to hug you, and they want to kiss you, because we really have done a good job for them. And you get close, and things happen.” And now that he’s had time to think it over, he’s decided to be more specific: It’s not the military in general to blame, but gold star families.

Speaking to Maria Bartiromo during a particularly off-the-rails segment, the president
suggested on Thursday that it was the families of soldiers who died in combat who got him sick. “I met with gold star families,” he told the Fox Business host. “I didn’t want to cancel that. But they all came in, and they all talk about their son and daughter and father. And, you know, they all came up to me, and they tell me a story.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...es-coronavirus

He's getting crazier and crazier as time goes on.

He just gets worse (somehow). Chances are he's the one who's passed it on to them. In the meantime he's "mocked" Biden for wearing masks...

Biggest embarrassment of a president ever.