ECT Opened graves

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Matthew 27:52-53 KJV
(52) And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
(53) And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.​

Raised from the grave in mortal bodies or celestial bodies?

Mocking You

I'm going to guess mortal bodies. What I find interesting is that the graves opened at the moment Jesus died, but the people remained in their graves until the resurrection.

Matt 27:52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; 53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

Imagine the scene: graves open up and the dead come to life and stand there in the grave for 3 days. Then they climb out and go about their business. Supposing one of these resurrected persons was a relative, say your Grandpa. How strange would this be!

I've never heard a sermon on these verses. I've never heard any theological discussion of this (well, until now, I suppose.)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I tend to lean toward the view that they were raised in mortal bodies.
But I'm open the hear other views.

On a logical note .....
I tend to believe that the risen ones were folks whom had died within that generation, and not folks that had died generations ago.
For how would one even know if they were really dead folks that came back to life unless they actually knew the folks that died?
I mean, if a stranger came to you and said, "Hey, I'm one that came back to life", how could you verify it without first knowing that the particular person had indeed died?

Mocking You

On a logical note .....
I tend to believe that the risen ones were folks whom had died within that generation, and not folks that had died generations ago.
For how would one even know if they were really dead folks that came back to life unless they actually knew the folks that died?
I mean, if a stranger came to you and said, "Hey, I'm one that came back to life", how could you verify it without first knowing that the particular person had indeed died?

This makes sense. I'd guess it probably was the recently deceased.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I tend to lean toward the view that they were raised in mortal bodies.
But I'm open the hear other views.

On a logical note .....

I agree. This resurrection was one of witness, like Lazarus, and probably not unto glory, for there is no further account of a mass ascension of peoples with Christ, unto heaven.

elohiym

I have no reason to assume they didn't have the same type of body that Jesus had when he was raised from the grave.

Would you call Jesus' resurrected body mortal?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
I have no reason to assume they didn't have the same type of body that Jesus had when he was raised from the grave.

Would you call Jesus' resurrected body mortal?

Jesus assumed and died in a mortal body, but resurrected that body to immortality when He ascended back to the Father.

oatmeal

Matthew 27:52-53 KJV
(52) And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
(53) And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.​

Tambora,

Matthew 27:50-53

Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Most people do not seem to understand what is actually said there.

When did they supposedly arise? At the death of Jesus.

When did they come out of the graves after they arose? More than three days and nights later????? Matthew 12:40

The answer to your question is neither, those two verses never happened. It is another case of forgery, an early one.

elohiym

Jesus assumed and died in a mortal body, but resurrected that body to immortality when He ascended back to the Father.

Wouldn't that mean he was raised with a mortal body (the body Thomas was told to touch) that was later, upon ascension, translated to a purely spiritual form?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How was Jesus' resurrected body different than Lazarus' resurrected body.
Sinless.

Why?

Luke 24:39 "Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."
Are you suggesting that the risen body of Jesus stayed mortal until His ascension?
Just wondering.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Wouldn't that mean he was raised with a mortal body (the body Thomas was told to touch) that was later, upon ascension, translated to a purely spiritual form?

The body Jesus assumed was subject to mortality, for He died in that body.

His power to resurrect that body, and ascend back to heaven, is what changed that body to immortality . . as a promise to all His spiritual offspring He represented in His Incarnation, would also be freed from subjection to death, and are guaranteed to be raised to immortality and glory.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Sinless.

Are you suggesting that the risen body of Jesus stayed mortal until His ascension?
Just wondering.

Lazarus resurrected back to a body of flesh and blood, still subject to death.

Jesus resurrected from the tomb, flesh and bone, no longer subject to death. Then He ascended back to full glory.