ECT NO, THE BIBLE IS NOT THE CHRISTIAN'S ONLY AUTHORITY

oatmeal

Now go ahead and cite a single biblical text which actually states---or even implies---that "Scripture is our only rule of believing and practice for those who take scripture seriously."

Post #5.

Yes, Scripture is God's written word, and Tradition is God's oral word (2 Thess. 2:15; 1 Cor. 11:2; cf. 1 Tim. 3:15).

...and Tradition alone is Tradition. Both, however, are the word of God.

I want God's word in whatever forms He's chosen to communicate it.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

John 17:17

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now go ahead and cite a single biblical text which actually states---or even implies---that "Scripture is our only rule of believing and practice for those who take scripture seriously."

Show me from scripture that scripture is not our only rule for belief and practice.

musterion

"THE BIBLE, NOT ORAL TRADITION, IS OUR ONLY AUTHORITY!"

False. Christ sent the Apostles to teach all things that He had taught them, but the bible tells us that not all that He did was written in Scripture (Jn. 21:25). Therefore, if all is to be taught, and not all is in Scripture, part of Christian truth must be elsewhere. But where?
False. John says only that everything He did was not recorded, not that we're to teach it BECAUSE WE DON'T AND CAN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS BECAUSE IT WASN'T RECORDED.

St. Paul tells us clearly to "stand fast and hold to the traditions which we have learned, either by word or by letter" (2 Thess. 2:14).

Who would have written a letter or spoken to this Gentile church? Paul, who tells us the revelation of the mystery which is all we need for life and godliness, for credenda and agenda, thanks much. You have nothing to add to that. You don't even have that.

Thus, the Catholic Church, "the pillar and bulwark of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15), teaches that Divine Revelation is contained fully in the Word of God, which is comprised of Sacred Scripture and sacred Tradition
False. You cannot teach - no one can teach - unwritten "sacred traditions" that were never written down by those to whom God made His oracles - His Jewish apostles. No Gentile can claim that office. The revelation of Scripture ended with Paul.

Are Catholics this desperate to shore up their bleeding roll numbers that they post something so transparently stupid? Wow. It really shows what a low view of God and His Word you papists really have.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

False. Christ sent the Apostles to teach all things that He had taught them, but the bible tells us that not all that He did was written in Scripture (Jn. 21:25). Therefore, if all is to be taught, and not all is in Scripture, part of Christian truth must be elsewhere. But where?

St. Paul tells us clearly to "stand fast and hold to the traditions which we have learned, either by word or by letter" (2 Thess. 2:14).

Thus, the Catholic Church, "the pillar and bulwark of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15), teaches that Divine Revelation is contained fully in the Word of God, which is comprised of Sacred Scripture and sacred Tradition.

http://www.StreetEvangelization.com

...but you have not held fast to Paul's traditions, you have counterfeited them all.

PhilipJames

Show me from scripture that scripture is not our only rule for belief and practice.

Hello Bright Raven,
Cruciform already posted some passages that show scripture is not the only 'rule'.. here's some more: Heb 13:17, Matt 18:17

Remember that the NT came forth from The Church, not the Church from the NT. Scripture is indeed the written word of God, but the Living Word dwells in HIS Church.

And it is the Living Tradition of the Church that provides the proper context in which to read Scripture.
What was TRUE for our brethren in 100 ad, 200 ad, 300 ad...1000ad...1500ad... MUST still be TRUE today. The Truth does NOT change, and thus any 'modern' interpretation of scripture that contradicts what our brethren have held and taught as TRUE for 2000 years, MUST be in error.

The scriptures that speak to the Eucharist are a prime example. One who rejects the proper understanding of the Eucharist will misunderstand the scripture that speaks of it.

Peace!
PJ

Cruciform

the Protestant Church- who is the church of the living God...
Which "Protestant Church"---there are more than 50,000 of them! Which recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is in fact "the Church of the living God"? Post your proof.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Mt. 28:18-20
Lk. 10:16
Ac. 16:4
1 Cor. 11:2
1 Thess. 2:13
2 Thess. 2:15
2 Thess. 3:4
1 Tim. 3:15
1 Jn. 4:6

For more info, see this.

I'll post my request again:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Post your proof.

Post the list of oral traditions to which Paul was referring. Make sure you include your documentation proving that they are indeed the traditions Paul was speaking of. If you can post that, then Totten is refuted. If you can't post it then Totten is correct.

oatmeal

Yes, God's word (message) is truth. This text says nothing at all about "Scripture" or "the Bible." Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Your tunnel view of scripture is not doing you any graces.

How did Jesus reply to the devil's temptation is Luke and Matt 4?

a. The RCC magestrium says

b. oral tradition says

c. he avoided speaking truth

d. it is written...

What is written?

truth, scripture, the word

heir

TOL Subscriber

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

According to the pure words of the Lord, I have all I need to be throughly furnished.

john w

Hall of Fame
Which "Protestant Church"---there are more than 50,000 of them! Which recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect is in fact "the Church of the living God"? Post your proof.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

"recently"-Roman shill

So, the shill asserts, on record, that Christianity is false, as it is "recent," relative to other "religions"(used generically here, as Christianity is the opposite of religion).

-Define "invent." Are not all false doctrines, by definition, "invented" by "man?" Why "invent?" How does that zinger support Romanism?

-Why did you add "man-made?" That does NADA, for your "argument," or anyone elses.' Should it be "woman made?"

-"sect"

Christianity is a "sect."

More deceit, and sophistry, from the Roman shill.

Let me guess his "response": Answered here...here...here...post your proof...try again...that's your preferred, man made interpretation....

Cricket.

Get saved.

Cross Reference

False. Christ sent the Apostles to teach all things that He had taught them, but the Bible tells us that not all that He did was written in Scripture (Jn. 21:25). Therefore, if all is to be taught, and not all is in Scripture, part of Christian truth must be elsewhere. But where?

Thus, the Catholic Church, "the pillar and bulwark of the truth" (1 Tim. 3:15), teaches that Divine Revelation is contained fully in the Word of God, which is comprised of Sacred Scripture and sacred Tradition.

That's funny. It i.e., the scriptures, was good enough for Jesus, wasn't it?

PhilipJames

Hello CM,

Post the list of oral traditions to which Paul was referring...

I'll give you one to consider: That the Eucharistic sacrifice is the 'pure offering' spoken of in Malachi 1:11 is an apostolic teaching that the Church has believed and held since the beginning.

Peace!
PJ

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Hello CM,

I'll give you one to consider: That the Eucharistic sacrifice is the 'pure offering' spoken of in Malachi 1:11 is an apostolic teaching that the Church has believed and held since the beginning.

Peace!
PJ
I note that you ignored the question I asked by truncating my post so that you could answer a question of your own making. Please answer the question I asked.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Hello CM,

Peace!
PJ
By the way, the perfect sacrifice is not the Eucharist, it was Jesus Himself.

genuineoriginal

Matthew 15:3
3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?​

HisServant

False. Christ sent the Apostles to teach all things that He had taught them, but the Bible tells us that not all that He did was written in Scripture (Jn. 21:25). Therefore, if all is to be taught, and not all is in Scripture, part of Christian truth must be elsewhere. But where?

All this tells us to do is to be diligent in determining which traditions the Apostles taught exclusive of scripture.

The logical conclusion is that ONLY the traditions taught by the Apostles are valid... yet the RCC has taken upon itself to violate scripture and develop all sorts of doctrines and traditions all by itself.

The original churches were primitive and community based and should have remained that way... except that wasn't good enough for the Romans so they dreamed up their own version of things.