Nick M's awesome lack of vocabulary

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The young and stupid are always entertaining.

14 But the women, the little ones, the livestock, and all that is in the city, all its spoil, you shall plunder for yourself; and you shall eat the enemies’ plunder which the Lord your God gives you. 15 Thus you shall do to all the cities which are very far from you, which are not of the cities of these nations.

16 “But of the cities of these peoples which the Lord your God gives you as an inheritance, you shall let nothing that breathes remain alive, 17 but you shall utterly destroy them: the Hittite and the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite, just as the Lord your God has commanded you,

I am not saying he had no reason, I am just showing you he targeted civilians, and when he told Moses this, he already knew he was going to wipe out nations(ethnic group of people).
Well, some folks just don't cotton to the ways and wisdom of God.
They think He's a big ol' murdering meanie.

Christian Liberty

The young and stupid are always entertaining.

14 But the women, the little ones, the livestock, and all that is in the city, all its spoil, you shall plunder for yourself; and you shall eat the enemies’ plunder which the Lord your God gives you. 15 Thus you shall do to all the cities which are very far from you, which are not of the cities of these nations.

16 “But of the cities of these peoples which the Lord your God gives you as an inheritance, you shall let nothing that breathes remain alive, 17 but you shall utterly destroy them: the Hittite and the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite, just as the Lord your God has commanded you,

I am not saying he had no reason, I am just showing you he targeted civilians, and when he told Moses this, he already knew he was going to wipe out nations(ethnic group of people).

Is the United States God's Chosen Nation?

Does "kill people when I tell you to" translate to "you can kill people whenever you want?
Well, some folks just don't cotton to the ways and wisdom of God.
They think He's a big ol' murdering meanie.

I don't. I trust God has a reason when he tells people to slaughter other people. But the US government, and Tambora, are not God, and I will thus not give them similar trust and respect. You don't get to arbitrarily say certain people should die for the greater good.

And you wonder why I have such a problem with your faith and your book.

I get it. I empathize, actually.

Last year I spent the greater part of the year trying to convince agnostics that, while God did command this type of stuff at specific times, the Bible does not endorse things like this as normative. Then I went to Christian school and met professing Christians who interpret the Bible almost exactly the way that the agnostics interpreted it, except the agnostics used it as a reason to reject the Bible, while the professing Christians were proud of the conclusions they had come to.

I know you used to be a Reconstructionist. I'm not even talking about Reconstructionists, although I am not one. Greg Bahnsen was, and he was a full blown non-interventionist. There's not a chance he'd be OK with any of this. Same with Rushdoony and Gary North.

I'm talking about wanna-be conquerers and neocons in theonomist clothing that just want to use the Bible as an excuse to destroy lives... just because.

I won't say I wouldn't believe the Bible if that was what it taught, but considering that ISN'T what the Bible teaches, and that ISN'T the law God has laid on our hearts, I wouldn't blame anyone who was under that impression for being baffled by it.

I can handle the agnostics. They don't bother me. But these "Christians" anger me like nothing else.

I get it Granite. More than anyone I get it. I've thought the same way about the American church as a whole, though not about God himself. I don't like American Christianity one bit. But I still cannot reject Christianity, because I believe with all my heart and all my mind that it is true, despite the bloodthirstyness of some liars who pretend to be of us.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Is the United States God's Chosen Nation?

Does "kill people when I tell you to" translate to "you can kill people whenever you want?

I don't. I trust God has a reason when he tells people to slaughter other people. But the US government, and Tambora, are not God, and I will thus not give them similar trust and respect. You don't get to arbitrarily say certain people should die for the greater good.

Last year I spent the greater part of the year trying to convince agnostics that, while God did command this type of stuff at specific times, the Bible does not endorse things like this as normative. Then I went to Christian school and met professing Christians who interpret the Bible almost exactly the way that the agnostics interpreted it, except the agnostics used it as a reason to reject the Bible, while the professing Christians were proud of the conclusions they had come to.

I know you used to be a Reconstructionist. I'm not even talking about Reconstructionists, although I am not one. Greg Bahnsen was, and he was a full blown non-interventionist. There's not a chance he'd be OK with any of this. Same with Rushdoony and Gary North.

I'm talking about wanna-be conquerers and neocons in theonomist clothing that just want to use the Bible as an excuse to destroy lives... just because.

I won't say I wouldn't believe the Bible if that was what it taught, but considering that ISN'T what the Bible teaches, and that ISN'T the law God has laid on our hearts, I wouldn't blame anyone who was under that impression for being baffled by it.

I can handle the agnostics. They don't bother me. But these "Christians" anger me like nothing else.

I get it Granite. More than anyone I get it. I've thought the same way about the American church as a whole, though not about God himself. I don't like American Christianity one bit. But I still cannot reject Christianity, because I believe with all my heart and all my mind that it is true, despite the bloodthirstyness of some liars who pretend to be of us.

Perhaps, it would be better (for you) if you just stayed home,
purchased a Bible, open it up, and start reading and studying
the writings of Paul. (Paul's Gospel) You're in no position to
be preaching, teaching or answering questions at this point
in your life!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
in your life!

based on what?

did you stay home?

did you not read commentary by dispensationalists?

Christian Liberty

in your life!

lol! @ stupid MADists telling me how little I know. I bet I've read more of Paul than you have.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Why thank you.

Last year I spent the greater part of the year trying to convince agnostics that, while God did command this type of stuff at specific times, the Bible does not endorse things like this as normative.

As you point out, this is very much open to interpretation.

You may be right about Bahnsen but you're dead wrong about Rushdoony and North.

Speaking of which you should look into how Rushdoony treated his first wife, let alone his prolific son-in-law...

Baffled? No. But whether you like it or not, the Reconstructionists can and do make a consistent case based on what's written.

Glad to hear it.

Well, a fella can hold out hope for a good egg like you.:cheers:

Christian Liberty

As you point out, this is very much open to interpretation.

I don't see how it is. I can see how there would be debate about whether the Old Testament Law is applicable today, but to suggest that killing civilians at random is scripturally OK is something I can't possibly defend with any argument that I would consider reasonable, doubly so when the argument is entirely American centric (none of these people would say Islamic nations would be justified in killing American citizens to defend against American invasion.) Its cherry picking. I suspect as an atheist you view everyone as doing that. To some extent we all do. But this is a lot.

You may be right about Bahnsen but you're dead wrong about Rushdoony and North.

What is your opinion on this article?:

http://americanvision.org/11359/rushdoony-on-war/

Note, I'm not really asking whether you agree or not (I know you're an atheist) but whether or not you think McDurmon is representing Rushdoony correctly.

There's also Rushdoony's Chalcedon Institute here:

http://chalcedon.edu/research/articles/the-u-s-war-in-afghanistan-and-just-war-theory/

With regards to North, I wasn't able to find anything specific, but considering that the reconstruction movement has generally been non-interventionist and the fact that North supported Ron Paul for President, I seriously doubt he would go for all this "wipe out all the non-Americans" nonsense.

Speaking of which you should look into how Rushdoony treated his first wife, let alone his prolific son-in-law...

Nang mentioned something like this to me awhile back. Do you have any links for me to look at?

Baffled? No. But whether you like it or not, the Reconstructionists can and do make a consistent case based on what's written.

I actually don't mind the Reconstructionists so much. I disagree with them regarding the connection between Old and New covenants. But I do understand how someone could come to that conclusion.

But reconstruction doesn't give you a right to just kill everyone you want to.

Of course there are very likely different kinds of reconstructionists, and I know some people here who are actually just right-wing authoritarians claim to be theonomists. But the theonomists I know are actually remarkably libertarian except on a few issues.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't see how it is. I can see how there would be debate about whether the Old Testament Law is applicable today, but to suggest that killing civilians at random is scripturally OK is something I can't possibly defend with any argument that I would consider reasonable, doubly so when the argument is entirely American centric (none of these people would say Islamic nations would be justified in killing American citizens to defend against American invasion.) Its cherry picking. I suspect as an atheist you view everyone as doing that. To some extent we all do. But this is a lot.

I don't really feel like walking down memory line with Reconstruction but suffice to say they don't pull what they believe out of a hat.

Ah. I may have misunderstood what you meant by "non-intervention." By and large yes, Reconstructionists are traditionally hands off/isolationists when it comes to foreign policy.

With regards to North, I wasn't able to find anything specific, but considering that the reconstruction movement has generally been non-interventionist and the fact that North supported Ron Paul for President, I seriously doubt he would go for all this "wipe out all the non-Americans" nonsense.

With Scary Gary all things are possible. This is the guy who advocate stoning because it's a cheap community activity (no, I'm not making that up).

Nang mentioned something like this to me awhile back. Do you have any links for me to look at?

Not off-hand, but what I can say is that he abandoned his first wife and disowned North--and his own daughter--over a truly idiotic theological disagreement. Rushdoony was simply put not a pleasant individual (might explain why he was afraid on his death bed).

I actually don't mind the Reconstructionists so much. I disagree with them regarding the connection between Old and New covenants. But I do understand how someone could come to that conclusion.

They're also murderous totalitarian maniacs. Something to chew on.

But reconstruction doesn't give you a right to just kill everyone you want to.

They might tend to disagree.

Christian Liberty

I don't really feel like walking down memory line with Reconstruction but suffice to say they don't pull what they believe out of a hat.

I know. I know two of them.

Ah. I may have misunderstood what you meant by "non-intervention." By and large yes, Reconstructionists are traditionally hands off/isolationists when it comes to foreign policy.

That's what I meant.

With Scary Gary all things are possible. This is the guy who advocate stoning because it's a cheap community activity (no, I'm not making that up).

I've seen the quote. Personally I tend to think (though I could be wrong) was that the reason for stoning as a method was not necessarily to torture the person being stoned or because it was cheap, but because it required the entire community to kill the criminal rather than leaving it in the hands of a small group of people with political power. It was the community that executed justice, not a "State". Just IMO.

The two theonomists I know in particular would say that it would be acceptable to use different, more modern methods of execution as long as the person was put to death. But I know that differs from theonomist to theonomist.

Not off-hand, but what I can say is that he abandoned his first wife and disowned North--and his own daughter--over a truly idiotic theological disagreement. Rushdoony was simply put not a pleasant individual (might explain why he was afraid on his death bed).

What was the disagreement?

They're also murderous totalitarian maniacs. Something to chew on.

This is not true, in my opinion. I like C Jay Engel's assessment:

http://reformedlibertarian.com/arti...tarian-conclusions-and-a-comment-on-theonomy/

I also read American Vision pretty regularly, and North periodically as well. I don't agree with them on everything, but I wouldn't say what you said.

They might tend to disagree.

No, theonomists believe OT law should be enforced, but that's very different from just "kill whoever you feel like."
Please don't make me remember 11th grade Bible class! PLEASE!

lol! I do find it interesting that both of you went from Reconstructionism to atheism...

Christian Liberty

@Nang- Res is another one of those who is way too comfortable with murder. He's a maniac who's solution to everything he doesn't like is "kill somebody." Yes he thinks I'm the stupid one.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I've seen the quote. Personally I tend to think (though I could be wrong) was that the reason for stoning as a method was not necessarily to torture the person being stoned or because it was cheap, but because it required the entire community to kill the criminal rather than leaving it in the hands of a small group of people with political power.

And this makes anything better...how.

The two theonomists I know in particular would say that it would be acceptable to use different, more modern methods of execution as long as the person was put to death. But I know that differs from theonomist to theonomist.

Well gosh, what a relief.

What was the disagreement?

PM me if you like. The details are so stupid and so unreal that I don't want to waste time with them on the thread.

This is not true, in my opinion.

Well it's true in mine. I've met these people. They're slightly looser when their guard is down.

No, theonomists believe OT law should be enforced, but that's very different from just "kill whoever you feel like."

Splitting hairs before a stoning is no way to live.