NFL 2018 Season Starts Tonight

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Week 7

Broncos (-2) @ Cardinals
Didn't see the score coming. I had Denver and 3, but a 27-24 game.

Titans @ Chargers (-6) (Game in London)
I've been touting the SD (I know) talent all year and they've only really lost to a couple of heavy hitters (KC and the Rams). Of course, they've beaten Buf, SF, Oak, and Cle...so...though SF was good when beaten and Cle is actually a pretty solid football team this year, if under coached. I like them by two scores in this one. Chargers.

Patriots (-3) @ Bears
Hate this game. A fg is a pick'em. On the road against a tough defense...Edelman and Gronk are banged up and questionable...only Brady makes me not want to play this one. If I had confidence in Trubisky I'd take the Bears. By the numbers I have it even IF Chicago plays to the level it can...but will it or will Tom stare them down.

Yard call. I'll take Chi in the mild but meaningful upset. EDIT: Gronk appears to have not been on the New England flight.

Bills @ Colts (-6.5)
The Bills are a mess and have a new concern with a signed of the street signal caller. Could be closer than people think though. I'll take Indy to win at the margin.

Lions @ Dolphins (.5)
It's a pick'em deal. Comes down to who you believe in and matchups. Osweiler is the wild card. He's another of those can look great qbs who could come off the bench and beat you. But I like the guy under center on the other side. I like the confidence I saw in last week's upset. I'll take the Lions.

Vikings (-3) @ Jets
This one is 3.5 for the home team on ESPN. It really depends on the Jets. The team that played the last two weeks will exploit injuries on the defensive side for Min. How will the Vikings respond on the road? I'll take the safer cover here. Jets.

EDIT: Sorry. Wrote Jets/meant Min to cover

Panthers @ Eagles (-3.5)
Another game that could be brutal. I love what Carolina brings to the table, but Philly has shown increasingly solid play by Wentz, who is actually out performing himself from last year at this point, when he was beginning to garner attention as a potential MVP. His passing stats are better, but the team isn't. Will one translate to the other? I hope so. I'll take Philly to begin the march.

Browns @ Buccaneers (-2.5)
And yet another Pick'em game. ESPN has this at 3.5 TB. At 2.5 I'm all over Cle. At beyond 3 I'm going the other way.

Texans @ Jags (-4.5)
I like the Jags, but hate their offensive inconsistency. If this is an up week they'll beat Houston into the ground. If it isn't, Houston keeps it close enough to win. I'll take Hou with that spread.

Saints @ Ravens (-2.5)
I want to root for the Saints here and they've had a rest, but I like the balance of Baltimore and have for most of the season...you can't count Brees and company out, but on the road against this defense? Two O linemen for the Saints are questionable leading in...which could mean a lot of pressure on Drew to run from the pocket. On the other side, Baltimore is thin and ailing at the CB. So they'll have to get that pressure or Brees will light them up. That's what this will come down to.

I'm taking the home team playing the averages.

Rams (-11) @ 49ers
Too many pts. 8, sure. 10 even, I'm probably in, but essentially two scores on the road against a decent Niners squad? I see it more 30-23 ish. Now watch it go 30-17 and drive me crazy.

Cowboys @ Redskins (-2.5)
Catching Cowboy fever off one week's play? I'll take the solid effort over that flash. Sure, Dallas looked like they finally understood how to play their talent on offense last week, but I have zero trust in them when it comes to consistency. Their coach wants to join his qb at the hip and be part of the next coach/qb pairing people like to bring up. So far this year that impulse has undermined his team...well, until last week. But if AP can't be AP Washington will be fairly one dimensional, and even the Cowboys might handle that. . . Dallas then.

Bengals @ Chiefs (-6)
I hope the Bengals travel and this game is as fun as it looks to be on paper. I like KC to win in a shoot-out. Like 36-31 ish...which would leave me in a quandary. I'm not ready to say KC and 6, but I can see them covering in a 28-17 ish game where Cin stalls a bit.

What to do...I'll take the Chiefs and hope I'm wrong about the wheels on the Bengals bus.

Giants @ Falcons (-3)
It's starting to remind me of the other Manning's end. I like the Falcons to win this say 29-23.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Watching the Ravens lose on Tucker's extra point miss with 10 seconds left, and then 10 minutes later watching the Cowboys lose when Maher's field goal attempt bounced off the left upright made for quite an enjoyable afternoon with my Steeler's being on their bye-week.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Watching the Ravens lose on Tucker's extra point miss with 10 seconds left, and then 10 minutes later watching the Cowboys lose when Maher's field goal attempt bounced off the left upright made for quite an enjoyable afternoon with my Steeler's being on their bye-week.
That penalty on Dallas literally cost them a shot at the game. Ten yards closer and it's good. Tough.

I was happy to lose the Saints game, as it tells me New Orleans stands about as good a chance as anyone at present and I have a soft spot for that team.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh, well. This should reflect and fix a couple of rushed errors, with proof of pudding and apologies. I'm hoping for enough time this week to accomplish everything I mean to.

The week heading into tonight's game:

Broncos (-2) at Cardinals
Good start to the week. Didn't see the score coming though. I had Denver and 3, but a 27-24 game.

1-0 :D

Titans vs. Chargers (-6)
Can't stay with you on this one. I've been touting the SD (I know) talent all year and they've only really lost to a couple of heavy hitters (KC and the Rams). Of course, they've beaten Buf, SF, Oak, and Cle...so...though SF was good when beaten and Cle is actually a pretty solid football team this year, if under coached. I like them by two scores in this one. Chargers.

Let me down a little, though they did score the win. 1-1 :mmph:

SPatriots (-3) at Bears
Hate this game. A fg is a pick'em. On the road against a tough defense...Edelman and Gronk are banged up and questionable...only Brady makes me not want to play this one. If I had confidence in Trubiskey I'd take the Bears. By the numbers I have it even IF Chicago plays to the level it can...but will it or will Tom stare them down.

Yard call. I'll take Chi in the mild but meaningful upset.

index.php

Crud...But Chicago was in it and that has to give Bears fans reason to like the direction they're going in.

1-2 :mmph:

Bills at Colts (-6.5)
The Bills are a mess and have a new concern with a signed of the street signal caller. Could be closer than people think though. I'll take Indy to win at the margin.

2-2 :D

Lions at Dolphins
I saw it Det and .5 by ESPN reckoning. Either way it's a pick'em deal. Comes down to who you believe in and matchups. Osweiler is the wild card. He's another of those can look great qbs who could come off the bench and beat you. But I like the guy under center on the other side. I like the confidence I saw in last week's upset. I'll take the Lions.

About as expected. 3-2 :D

Vikings (-3) at Jets
This one is 3.5 for the home team on ESPN. It really depends on the Jets. The team that played the last two weeks will exploit injuries on the defensive side for Min. How will the Vikings respond on the road? I'll take the safer cover here. Jets.

EDIT: sorry, I wrote it backwards. Took the Vikings who were 3.5 favs. That's what comes of rushing.

index.php

4-2 :D

Panthers at Eagles (-3.5)
Another game that could be brutal. I love what Carolina brings to the table, but Philly has shown increasingly solid play by Wentz, who is actually out performing himself from last year at this point, when he was beginning to garner attention as a potential MVP. His passing stats are better, but the team isn't. Will one translate to the other? I hope so. I'll take Philly to begin the march.

Beginning to doubt the Eagles...something a little off about them if they want to return for a second grab at the ring.
4-3 :mmph:

Browns at Buccaneers (-2.5)
And yet another Pick'em game. ESPN has this at 3.5 TB. At 2.5 I'm all over Cle.

5-3 :D

Texans at Jaguars (-4.5)
I like the Jags, but hate their offensive inconsistency. If this is an up week they'll beat Houston into the ground. If it isn't, Houston keeps it close enough to win. I'll take Hou with that spread.

Nice game, Texans. 6-3 :D

Saints at Ravens (-2.5)
I want to root for the Saints here and they've had a rest, but I like the balance of Baltimore and have for most of the season...you can't count Brees and company out, but on the road against this defense? Two O linemen for the Saints are questionable leading in...which could mean a lot of pressure on Drew to run from the pocket. On the other side, Baltimore is thin and ailing at the CB. So they'll have to get that pressure or Brees will light them up. That's what this will come down to.

I'm taking the home team playing the averages.

Another pick'em game. I was happy to lose it. A though, lower scoring game on the road? Just what NO needed.
6-4 :mmph:

Rams (-11) at 49ers
Too many pts. 8, sure. 10 even, I'm probably in, but essentially two scores on the road against a decent Niners squad? I see it more 30-23 ish. Now watch it go 30-17 and drive me crazy.

A bounce back game I should have seen coming, but that's life for you. 6-5 :mmph:

Cowboys at Redskins (-2.5)
Catching Cowboy fever off one week's play? I'll take the solid effort over that flash. Sure, Dallas looked like they finally understood how to play their talent on offense last week, but I have zero trust in them when it comes to consistency. Their coach wants to join his qb at the hip and be part of the next coach/qb pairing people like to bring up. So far this year that impulse has undermined his team...well, until last week. But if AP can't be AP Washington will be fairly one dimensional, and even the Cowboys might handle that. . . Dallas then.

Except I meant Wash,... And here's the screenshot confirmation of my pick on ESPN, again...

index.php

7-5 :D

Bengals at Chiefs (-6)
I hope the Bengals travel and this game is as fun as it looks to be on paper. I like KC to win in a shoot-out. Like 36-31 ish...which would leave me in a quandary. I'm not ready to say KC and 6, but I can see them covering in a 28-17 ish game where Cin stalls a bit.

What to do...I'll take the Chiefs and hope I'm wrong about the wheels on the Bengals bus.

So that's 8 - 5 :D

Another winning week, if not a great one, no matter what happens tonight. Not my best, but life can do that. Sorry about the mistakes. I shouldn't have interruptions this week...I hope.

Giants at Falcons (-3)
It's starting to remind me of the other Manning's end. I like the Falcons to win this say 29-23.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's starting to remind me of the other Manning's end.

Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger were all drafted in the first round of the 2004 draft.

Eli is 37 years old, Ben and Rivers are 36. They are all in their twilight years.

I would have bet the house that Roethlisberger would have retired first, then Rivers, and then Eli would have did like his big brother, and still be good at 40.

However, Eli is looking like the first of the three who needs to retire.

Rivers is having a great year, and Roethlisberger has the most yards per game of all QB's this year.

Eli, Rivers, and Ben will probably never surpass Elway, Marino, Kelly for "best QB draft class", but they are definitely second in my opinion. The 1971 class of Ken Anderson, Jim Plunkett, Joe Theisman, and Archie Manning wasn't too shabby.

We'll see if Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky, DeShone Kizer and Patrick Mahomes can put the 2017 class into the conversation.

At one time, the 2012 class (Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Ryan Tannehill, Robert Griffin III, and Kirk Cousins)looked like it was going to be greater than the 1983 class, but not so much anymore.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Poor Cleveland

Today the Cavilers fired Tyronn Lue

Also today, Brown's coach Hue Jackson may be fired.

Tip of the Day: Don't hire coaches with first or last names that rhyme with "clue".

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Some interesting trade movement. Golden Tate is a solid acquisition, but does it signal a rebuilding in Detroit? And how irritated is a certain qb in GB today? Sign of the times.

Last week was an 11 win against the line. Didn't have time to post here, but I'll try to get another one in soon. I've been working steady and it's hard to find the time.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jerry?!!!

Where are you Jerry?

I want to talk Cowboy's football.....c'mon Jerry, where are you?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My boys finally looked like the high powered offense I knew they are.
Had a very good game, to be sure. Cleveland will actually be a decent test to see if they can keep it going. Could be a fun game to watch.

And who thought we'd ever say that about a game in Cleveland that wasn't on the hardcourt?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I knew that was a trap game for us.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

When your team loses to the Cleveland Browns, it's a telltale sign your team is not going to the playoffs, and that your season is over.

The Browns were 6-50-1 the past three seasons, and this year before they beat your Falcons.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
tetelestai
Maybe, but i think we still have a punchers chance to make playoffs.
Tough to manage. Realistically, you're looking for a WC slot. You've beaten Car once, but I think you'll likely have to sweep them to have any sort of chance. The NFC North could kill your chances, and Seattle is also angling.

Not impossible, but bleak at this point.

beloved57

th

Realistically, you're looking for a WC slot.

Correct

You've beaten Car once, but I think you'll likely have to sweep them to have any sort of chance.

Yeah along with split with NO and sweep TB

North could kill your chances, and Seattle is also angling.

Not impossible, but bleak at this point.

Yeah, punchers chance

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah along with split with NO and sweep TB
NO is looking more like the team the Rams were supposed to be at this point.

Yeah, punchers chance
I like your chances this week against the Cowboys, but if you screw that up it's over. Has to be a building/statement game against a team that has a better sense of how to win and gained a little confidence last week.