NFL 2018 Season Starts Tonight

Jerry Shugart

Absolutely. You have a weapon like Elliot and don't use him then the dbs are freer and your wrs aren't scaring anyone to begin with, aren't creating separation. You have to run Eliot and make the defense move toward the line, or at least use him more as another set of hands out of the backfield to do the same thing, or Prescot has to throw them open with timing. You have to create space for the lesser wr corps. That's what the Jets did in their victory.

The problem I saw was the offensive line wasn't opening up any holes for Elliott. The Boys have a rookie at left guard and a second teamer at center. So I can understand why the coaches didn't continue to feed Zeke the ball. Do you think that the coaches should continue to try to run the ball even though Zeke has no place to go?

Thanks!

drbrumley

Hopefully this won't be one of the games I miss. I feel pretty comfortable with that spread and the only reason you didn't have a running game was your guys didn't put it in Eliot's hands enough to establish it. The Giants will have to look like something they haven't in a while to upset that applecart. It can happen, but I don't see it as likely.

giants should win this game...

beloved57

My Falcons Offence still struggled in the red zone, not good. Then 2 starters on D are hurt, one out for the season. I still believe we have one of the best teams in the league !

Jerry Shugart

My Falcons Offence still struggled in the red zone, not good. Then 2 starters on D are hurt, one out for the season. I still believe we have one of the best teams in the league !

It's just my opinion but I think that the loss of offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan is the reason for the Falcon's struggles on offense at this point in time. But I also think that with time and with their great personnel it can be fixed.

beloved57

It's just my opinion but I think that the loss of offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan is the reason for the Falcon's struggles on offense at this point in time. But I also think that with time and with their great personnel it can be fixed.

Yeah this the 2nd season under new OC

Jerry Shugart

My picks for this week:

Houston -4
At Tennessee

I take Houston and give the four points.

At New Orleans -9.5
Cleveland

I pick the Browns and take the points.

At Pittsburgh -4
Kansas City

I take the Chiefs plus the points.

At Dallas -3
NY Giants 42.5

I take the "Under" on the total points scored in the game.

So far this season I am 2-2.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My picks for this week:

Houston -4
At Tennessee

I take Houston and give the four points.

At New Orleans -9.5
Cleveland

I pick the Browns and take the points.

At Pittsburgh -4
Kansas City

I take the Chiefs plus the points.

At Dallas -3
NY Giants 42.5

I take the "Under" on the total points scored in the game.

So far this season I am 2-2.
I got my picks in under the wire with ESPN, but I'm up to ears with family stuff this week, so I had to pass. I'll let you know how it turned out and, hopefully, get next week's in early. Shoot. :mmph:

At a glance I think we agree on your picks. My lines were different, with the NO line being lower and I think I took the Saints at a point or so lower. Otherwise I think we're agreeing on them. I'll check back later.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Okay, I did another round of quick math just under the wire but didn’t have enough time to say anything about the games so I left off. At least I’ll get to say something about Monday and maybe tonight’s game, depending (both sets of grandparents moving through the house today like a weather front).

Week Two

1. Bal (.5) @ Cin: the money was moving 69/31 in favor of that scant cover. I had it by more, though it was less about the Ravens playing worse and more about the Bengals playing an impressive game at home. Son of a gun and a weak week 2 beginning. 0-1

Final
: 23-34 Cin. 0 – 1 :mmph:

2. Car @ Atl (5.5): a substandard opening loss on the road has the Falcons looking for a bounce back game against an injury hampered Carolina on the road. I like their chances with that banged up Panther's squad. Make it something like 28-21 Atlanta.

Final
: 24-31 Atl 1 – 1 :D

3. SD (7.5) @ Buf: After the debacle of that Jests plastering they took I wouldn’t have cared if the line was double digits. The Chargers just have too much talent.

Final
: 31-20 Chargers and I’m back in the saddle 2 – 1 :D

4. Cle @ NO(8.5): I like the Saints to course correct at home, but not by near double digits against a much better than I’m comfortable with Cleveland. How close? I liked them by a td, which is enough to give me a queasy Browns and the points gamble.

Final
: 21-18 NO…I’ll take it. 3 – 1 :D

5. Min @ GB (.5): Essentially a coin toss game that has the money looking 71/29 at a Vikings upset. I have it 23-22 Vikings, so I'm looking for the technical upset.

Final
: 29-29 and a tie is as good as a win. 4 – 1 :D

6. Hou (2.5) @ Ten: and it is 80/20 that the Texans will make that line. I have it 23-19 Houston.

Final
: 17-20 Ten…with lines like these you’re going to get one like that. But I was more surprised by how poorly Houston travelled than the loss. 4 – 2 :cry:

7. Ind @ Was (5.5): Okay, I love this game with that line. It is 64/36 for the Redskins cover, which has me laughing all the way to the imaginary bank. Okay, to be fair I have it 26-21, but still…a half point can be as good as a mile.

Final
: 21-9 Indy…there's that mile and Washington has some splainin’ to do. 5 – 2 :D

8. KC @ Pit (5.5): Does anyone believe that beaten up Steeler team is going to cover that line against the talent coming in from KC? A few, as support is running 71/29 for KC. Sign me up as a Chiefs believer.

Final
: 42-37 KC and a decent week in the making. 6 – 2 :D

9. Mia @ Jests(2.5): while the future is looking brighter for New York Jets fans, Miami keeps fielding solid teams without much to exploit. I liked the Fins last week and I like them on the road against a team whose impression is resting on Buffalo...Buffalo.

Final
: 20-17 Mia…and it’s 7 – 2 :D

10. Phi (3.5) @ TB: no, I don’t believe that Fitz will continue the streak, but who knows. If there's a team to end the streak early it's Philly. I'd rather have a fg line, but I can't put my faith in Tampa, even at home and even with streaky on a hot one.

Final
: 27-21 Bucs…wow…7 – 3 :mmph: And I'm still not convinced. Who do they play next week?
11. Det @ SF (5.5): seems like a lot of points for SF to cover. I have it 30-27 for the Niners.

Final
: 27-30 SF 8 – 3 :D

12: Arz @ Rams (12.5): forget the fact they’re playing a strong candidate for the SB, is there a team you like less than the Cardinals after last week? I have it 34-17 Rams. Did not see the offensive shut out. That’s impressive against anyone, even the suddenly problematic Cardinals.

Final
: 34-0 Rams 9 – 3 :D

13. Oak @ Den (5.5): I’m going to crow about this one if it works. I have it Oakland 23-21. Maybe that's overreaching at altitude, but Gruden's troop is better than you think.

Final
: 20-19 Den 10 – 3 :D And now I'm not sure if they're better or Denver isn't quite as good. Ask me next week.
14. NE (2.5) @ Jac: I like Jacksonville at home to win by a fg as well. Back to back upset calls. We’ll see if either works out.

Final
: 31-20 Jags Yeah, I’m feeling good about that. 11 - 3 :D

15. Gia @ Dal (2.5): A coin toss for me. I’m taking Dallas because I’m just that worried about Eli. It’s one of those who knows games and I’m playing a hunch that Dallas isn’t ready to lay down and the Giants won’t get out of their own way. Hey, it’s not going to break the week either way.

Final
:

16. Sea @ Chi (3.5): I like this one for the Bears by about 5, say 26-21. Seattle has internal issues and a bruised qb. Chicago is angry over last week and playing at home with another week to work in their newest defensive star.

Final
:

beloved57

My Falcons finally showed what the offence can do with all the weapons, even Matt was a weapon, need to do the same next sunday against our arch rivals, the saints come marching in !

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The problem I saw was the offensive line wasn't opening up any holes for Elliott. The Boys have a rookie at left guard and a second teamer at center. So I can understand why the coaches didn't continue to feed Zeke the ball. Do you think that the coaches should continue to try to run the ball even though Zeke has no place to go?

Thanks!
So it looks like we beat dr on that one. Eli was better than I thought he'd be, but his line wasn't and/or Dallas D played well. 17 carries for Eliot was still light, but it was the win they needed to build on. The Giants though...they're in a tough hole now. Which is a funny thing to say in week 2.

Jerry Shugart

So it looks like we beat dr on that one. Eli was better than I thought he'd be, but his line wasn't and/or Dallas D played well.

It wasn't rocket science to take the "under."

I went 3-1 so I am now 5-3. Not even close to you! The Boy's next game is the Seahawks so I will be watching that game with great interest tonight! Especially their Offensive Line!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It wasn't rocket science to take the "under."

I went 3-1 so I am now 5-3. Not even close to you! The Boy's next game is the Seahawks so I will be watching that game with great interest tonight! Especially their Offensive Line!
Can't wait to look at it. With Chicago helping me sweep the night games I'm 25 - 7 against the line, but I know at some point not doing the heavy number lifting is going to catch up to me and force me back deeper into the math. Not yet though. If it's working, ride it. :eek:

Jerry Shugart

Can't wait to look at it. With Chicago helping me sweep the night games I'm 25 - 7 against the line, but I know at some point not doing the heavy number lifting is going to catch up to me and force me back deeper into the math. Not yet though. If it's working, ride it. :eek:

25-7 and we both retire!

drbrumley

Not sure why most folks and the oddsmakers have Cleveland in this game against the Jets....

New York Jets @ Cleveland Browns (Cleveland -3.5)

I will take the Jets to win, 26-19

drbrumley

And for the rest of the games.

New Orleans @ Atlanta (Atlanta -3.5)

Atlanta 27, New Orleans 26

Buffalo @ Minnesota (Minnesota -16.5)

Minnesota 33, Buffalo 17

Will add more tomorrow, its getting late.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not sure why most folks and the oddsmakers have Cleveland in this game against the Jets....
Because the Jests looked like Lion tamers in Detroit, but were grounded at home by a decent, but not great Fins. In essence, the suspicion is that they were good against a weak team without any pressure/expectation, then the media circus set out a tent and they didn't handle the pressure, falling to a solid, but average team in the Dolphins and managing that at home.

Meanwhile, the Browns had a surprise tie against the division favored Steelers (who aren't terribly good right now) before losing a tough contest on the road, where they held one of the NFL's best offenses to 3 scores, which isn't bad. Or, this is a team with a very solid defense and an offense that can put up enough points to make a contest with some of the better teams in the league. The Jets don't appear to be one of those teams, so...

New York Jets @ Cleveland Browns (Cleveland -3.5)

I will take the Jets to win, 26-19
It's a hard one for me to figure. I like this as a fg contest that could go either way. So I'm taking the Jets for that half point.

And for the rest of the games.
New Orleans @ Atlanta (Atlanta -3.5)
Atlanta 27, New Orleans 26
Another tough one in a week that seems likely to give me a tumble. :think: Atlanta is a tough team at home. New Orleans is a better team than their meager record and needs to make a division statement. Another fg game, potentially. I'll take the upset for that reason.

Buffalo @ Minnesota (Minnesota -16.5)
Minnesota 33, Buffalo 17
Looks like you're in the same position I am on this one, with that half point stepping on your toes and putting you in the Bills camp. I'm going to try to talk myself into a Vikings win here before game time, but that line is a lot of points. :think: I mean, a 30-14 wouldn't make it. And that's about where I see it...so I'll take the Bills along with you and hate myself for doing it.

Will add more tomorrow, its getting late.
:cheers: