NFL 2017

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, I'm a fan. Denver Broncos for 37 years but I will not put up with unpatriotic behavior.
I don't even know who's kneeling and who isn't anymore. I don't know where to look for the information. Someone must be keeping track of it somewhere.

WizardofOz

I don't even know who's kneeling and who isn't anymore. I don't know where to look for the information. Someone must be keeping track of it somewhere.

Denver Broncos Derek Wolfe on Veterans Day
Spoiler
gettyimages-873410390.jpg

Jerry Shugart

You do know your Cowboys got crushed 42-17 by the pitiful 3-6 Broncos?

At that point in time the Boys had to replace two players on their offensive line from last year and it takes time for them to be effective playing together. However, not long after that game they did get it together and they beat the Chiefs!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Looking at the Cowboys remaining games. The good news is that they're better than just about everyone left on their schedule. Bad news, so is Philly.

Dallas 5-4

Phi @Dal: a game Dallas could win, but likely won't, dropping them to 5-5.
SD @ Dal: Closer than you'd think now, say a 3 pt win for Dallas being more likely than a loss. 6-5
Was @ Dal: should be a win, though not after the earlier meeting floor wiping. 7-5
Dal @ Gia: 8-5
Dal @ Oak: anyone's game. So they're 9-5 or 8-6
Sea @ Dal: the other game that they could as easily lose close, but at home...being generous let's say it's a close win. 10-5 or 9-6

If Dallas loses to Philly they need the Oakland game to hang onto wild card hopes and the Seattle game becomes really important.

Philly 8-1

Phi @ Dal: supra, likely 9-1
Chi @ Phi: should be an easy win, but the Bears have some talent, are home, and can play without caution. So it's a game not to look past. 10-1
Phi @ Sea: a tough game in Seattle that I think the Eagles should be a 4.5 fav. if things hold from here. Either a 11-1 or 10-2
Phi @ Ram: coming off what should be a brutal away game I think this is one they can lose close or big. 11-2, 10-3
Phi @ Gia: the road trip continues with a chance to regroup from two hard games against the listing Giants. 12-2 or 11-3
Oak @ Phi: the last regular season game isn't a cake walk, but at home it should be a nice gearing game for the playoffs. 13-2 or 12-3

So who is Dallas having to edge past for one of two WC slots?

NFC North: Min and Det are still in play vying for the division, with the Vikes having a one game div. lead.
Green Bay isn't out of WC contention.

The Vikings have a brutal, playoff row finishing schedule that I project with lose them both the divisional lead and WC chance leaving Detroit in control. Here's what it looks like:

Min 7-2

Ram @ Min: a very hard win is possible here at home but I like the visitor in a squeaker. 8-2 or 7-3 then.
Min @ Det: into the belly of their rival. I like a marginal win by the home team, but it's another toss up. 9-2 best or 7-4 at this point.
Min @ Atl: a rallying Falcons team at home is a tough nut for a weaker road team. Atlanta in another close one. 10-2 or 7-5 potential.
Cin @ Min: if they're surviving at this point a winnable game to be careful with. If they've taken a couple of losses or more we get a look at their character.
Min @ GB: without Rodgers this is a winnable road game.

I give them two should win and a likely two losses with one maybe, leaving them at 9-5 and possibly 8-6 and out.

Det 5-4

Det @ Chi: a tougher win than you'd think given the state of the Lion's injuries. I have it a squeaker. 6-4 or 5-5
Min @ Det: a close home win against their rival is likely. 7-4 or 5-6
Det @ Bal: I think they lose this one, but it's a toss up too. 7-4 or 5-7
Det @ TB: should win by four. 8-5 or 6-7
Chi @ Det: not as tough a win at home. 9-5 or 7-7
Det @ Cin: nail bitter, but I like a needy Lion's chances 10-5 or 7-8

So the potential downside is worse for the Lions and the upside better.

Projected winner: Detroit. Minnesota's schedule is too tough and I suspect they'll lose 3 and win 2 ending at 9-4 with Detroit losing one or two and taking the division via an easier route.

NFC South: NO and Car are in the same position as Min and Det, with Atlanta controlling it's destiny except against the Saints if they win out and NO wins out. So who knows?

NO 7-2

Another tough schedule that sees them playing Was, Rams, Car, Atl, Jets, Atl. I like them to win most of those, drop one or two, winning over Car and splitting with Atlanta, losing to the Rams potentially. Call it 11-5 likely. Carolina? I like them to finish 10-6 or 11-5 losing the top spot to NO with a divisional sweep of them by the Saints.

Projected winner: Saints, with Carolina taking a WC slot.

NFC West: Seattle is one game back in wins but one game up in the division, which includes a win against their rival, the Rams. The Rams have another chance at them late. Up for grabs with the loser looking for the WC.

Projected winner: If the Rams want the division they'll need to beat the Seahawks late to split between them and run an impressive gauntlet late. It's hard to judge the Rams because they've mostly beaten up on weak teams, with Dallas being their only real quality win. They did stay close at home against Seattle, but that doesn't bode well for the split.

Call this one for Seattle with the Rams in good position for the second WC slot.

I think Dallas will be hard pressed to make the playoffs. Minnesota is more likely, Carolina likely and the Rams a better bet than either Dallas or Min.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Now if the playoffs were held today and the seeds decided now.

WC Round:

Ten 17
KC 26

Sea 21
NO 30

Buf 16
Jac 27

Car 20
Rams 28

Second Round:

KC 21
Pit 24

Rams 24
Phi 28

Jac 17
NE 26

NO 27
Min 22

Championships:

NE 27
Pit 24

NO 31
Phi 34

SB:

NE 28
Phi 30

Jerry Shugart

If Dallas loses to Philly they need the Oakland game to hang onto wild card hopes and the Seattle game becomes really important.

If Dallas doesn't get Tyron Smith and Sean Lee back soon they will be hard pressed to beat anyone, much less make the playoffs. After all, they are already missing their best offensive player and the player who makes the offense effective--Zeke Elliott.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's been a great year week to week, but not this one. I've enjoyed crowing for most of it. Here comes more crow, sort of. I have a bad feeling about this week.

1. Ten @ Pit (7.5): didn't see the Titan's defense looking that poor. 0-1 :mmph:

2. Det (3.5) @ Chi: lost this one on the half point the Lions couldn't muster. 0-2 :mmph:

3. Jac (7.5) @ Cle: well, thanks for that one, Jags. 1-2 :D

4. Bal (2.5) @ GB: doesn't matter. A gimme. 2-2 :D

5. KC (10.5) @ Gia: I in no way saw this upset win by the Giants. But I didn't trust the spread. 3-2 :D

6. Rams @ Min (2.5): so are the Rams not as good as I thought or are the Vikings better than I thought? Maybe yes. 3-3 :mmph:

7. Was @ NO (7.5): okay, their last performance had me thinking this one would be a fg. 4-3 :D

8. Arz (1.5) @ Hou: I give up. Savage looked good and the running game looked better. Arizona has officially gone into rebuilding mode. 4-4 :mmph:

9. TB @ Mia (1.5): I liked the Bucs to win outright. 5-4 :D

10. Buf @ SD (4.5): I like the Chargers. They're a spoiler and the Bills don't travel well.

11. Cin @ Den (2.5): I don't trust either of these teams but someone has to win and it might as well be 3...I'll take Denver.

12. NE (6.5) @ Oak: one of the games I noted could be trouble for NE, but I like them at 7.

13. Phi (3.5) @ Dal: I've liked Philly all year. I like them now.

14. Atl @ Sea (3.5): tough to win there. Should be fun, close game. I'll take Seattle.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Big game for Dallas this weekend. I'm rooting against Philly, Jerry. :)
It's going to be hard to beat the Eagles without Zeke and Sean Lee and if Tyron Smith cannot play at left tackle it will be extremely difficult because the strength of the Eagle's defense is their defensive line.
They're down two field goals right now, early 3rd quarter. They're keeping it close, let's hope for the best. :)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, I'm a fan. Denver Broncos for 37 years but I will not put up with unpatriotic behavior.
I read that Oakland's Marshawn Lynch decided to sit for the National anthem (this was in Mexico), but he stood for the Mexican anthem instead. AFAIK, all the Patriots were patriotic.

Jerry Shugart

They're down two field goals right now, early 3rd quarter. They're keeping it close, let's hope for the best.

They sorely missed Sean Lee in run defense. They missed Tyron Smith and as a result Dax was under pressure all night. And most of all, they missed Zeke to run the ball and control the clock so the defense doesn't wear down.

With those three in the game the Boys win!

More than likely they will miss the playoffs. To have a record of 10-6 they must win three of the next four games and then win the last two with Zeke back. If that happens they could make a run and win it all. Their defense is much, much better than last year and the offense was playing extremely well before the loss of Zeke.

It also looks like both Sean Lee and Tyron Smith will return next week. Who knows what can happen.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
They sorely missed Sean Lee in run defense. They missed Tyron Smith and as a result Dax was under pressure all night. And most of all, they missed Zeke to run the ball and control the clock so the defense doesn't wear down.

With those three in the game the Boys win!

More than likely they will miss the playoffs. To have a record of 10-6 they must win three of the next four games and then win the last two with Zeke back. If that happens they could make a run and win it all. Their defense is much, much better than last year and the offense was playing extremely well before the loss of Zeke.

It also looks like both Sean Lee and Tyron Smith will return next week. Who knows what can happen.
Even with Prescott's two picks in the first half, Dallas controlled Philly's offense and they were very close at the half. They proved they can play with them, and that's with three key players down.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Even with Prescott's two picks in the first half, Dallas controlled Philly's offense and they were very close at the half. They proved they can play with them, and that's with three key players down.

I Love it!

Keep giving Jerry hope.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I read that Oakland's Marshawn Lynch decided to sit for the National anthem (this was in Mexico), but he stood for the Mexican anthem instead. AFAIK, all the Patriots were patriotic.

Same thing happened in London.

Many Raven's took a knee for the National Anthem, but stood for God Save the Queen.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Which is why when people talk about Super Bowl 28 they always say the Bills proved they could play with Dallas by being up 13 to 6 at the half before Dallas scored 30 unanswered. Yessir, people are always referring to that one as the game that really showed the Bills belonged. :plain:

Mockery aside, I think this was an interesting game. Dak demonstrated his need for Elliot and balance to be effective against a top tier team like Philly. Philly demonstrated that without their qb lighting up the boards they're a threat to put up +30 burgers and, as I've noted prior, can play at a high level in every aspect of the game.

Given the Saints play from behind win (though that was likely good for the team) I think Philly separated itself from the second tier a little more with this win.

The Raiders took another step back in a predictable loss that showed a real lack of nearly everything it looked like they were putting together solidly last year. Carr had moments, but his wrs didn't. I think it's probably best summed by the first half shot to get right back in it that should have been a first down catch at the five and became a fumble resulting in a team record fg the other way for the Pats. Defensively, the early "Let's not kid around and make sure everyone knows we're knot climbing back in this one" second half play that sent Cooks on a long stroll into the end zone was so much inept icing on a nasty cake. :nono:

Atlanta and Seattle both have a shot at a "not so fast" statement game tonight. Because who else is challenging? Min? Det? Doesn't look like the Rams will.

beloved57

My Boys should be able to go into seattle and win tonight. Their defense is hurting a little with sherman and chancellor out. Our receivers and run game should do good Atlanta 24 Seattle 13