Detroit: -8.7
Chicago: -9.8
San Francisco: -10.0
Jacksonville: -10.5

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So what's on the plate tonight?

Sea @ SF: the line is Seattle and 5.5 and the money isn't overwhelmed by the idea, splitting 53/47 with. I've had a bad run of luck on this game for the past couple of weeks. Time for a turnaround.

Pick: Seattle is ninth against the pass and run. They average around six points more per game than SF and give up six fewer. The line should rest comfortably in between the sum of those. I don't see anyone walking away with this one, but I can see Seattle making it a six or seven point game by the end of regulation, so I'll take the Seahawks in an amoral victory. :plain:

Quetzal

So what's on the plate tonight?

Sea @ SF: the line is Seattle and 5.5 and the money isn't overwhelmed by the idea, splitting 53/47 with. I've had a bad run of luck on this game for the past couple of weeks. Time for a turnaround.

Pick: Seattle is ninth against the pass and run. They average around six points more per game than SF and give up six fewer. The line should rest comfortably in between the sum of those. I don't see anyone walking away with this one, but I can see Seattle making it a six or seven point game by the end of regulation, so I'll take the Seahawks in an amoral victory. :plain:
I enjoy reading your game picks. :up:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I enjoy reading your game picks. :up:
Thank you, kindly.

Looks like this week starts off on a happier note than the last two. I was a little surprised by the margin of victory, but not by the outcome or Seattle making the line.

So, 1-0 :D I much prefer the sound of that.

Quetzal

Thank you, kindly.

Looks like this week starts off on a happier note than the last two. I was a little surprised by the margin of victory, but not by the outcome or Seattle making the line.

So, 1-0 :D I much prefer the sound of that.
Colin made it really easy on them, too. If I was the Seattle defensive coordinator I would have had someone cover the water boy. :chuckle:

Caledvwlch

Inspired by Townie (the legendary TOL poster, not the memoir by Andre Dubus III), I'm going to make my picks, except my reasoning is going to be much less sound than his (lines are from CBSSports pick-em leagues on the website, locked in on Tuesdays). All picks are against the spread (also, I have not watched a single minute of NFL coverage this season, and I don't plan on starting now):

Last night: SEA @ SF(+6.5). I had San Francisco because there's a little man in my brain who screams at me if I think Seattle can win by a touchdown.

And for the rest of the weekend:

Buf @ Jac(+4.5): I don't know anything about either one of these teams, other than Rex Ryan exists. This game is on at 9:30am ET? I don't like either of these teams to travel across any ocean, let alone the second largest one, but I'll take the Bills.

NO @ Ind(-4.5): Are these teams from the worst division in their respective conferences? I know whichever one I pick is going to burn me, but just the same I'll go with the Colts.

Pit @ KC(+2.5): Pittsburgh has been winning games without Ben, but who cares? I'll take the Chiefs because I already have two favorites in a row.

NYJ @ NE(-9.5): Way, way too many points against a defense that good. Jets.

Min @ Det(+2.5): :yawn: Vikings.

Hou @ Mia(-4.5): I'm not going to bother looking up how hot it's going to be in Miami, and that's the only factor that I can comprehend. Texans, because I have only had two cups of coffee this morning, which is as good a reason as any you'd get from Ron Jaworski.

Man this is taking forever... :hammer:

Cle at StL(-4.5): Is Marc Bulger still under center for the Rams? No? I'll take the Browns then.

Atl @ Ten(+4.5): This makes five road teams in a row. Falcons.

TB @ Was(-3.5): That's gotta suck, being just outside a field goal dog in Washington. Good thing Tampa Bay has the Rays. Wait. I'll take Bond-villain Dan Snyder.

Oak @ SD(-4.5): Can you imagine these two teams sharing a stadium? :rotfl: Chargers.

Dal @ NYG(-5.5): As a person born in Massachusetts, the NFC east is the closet thing I have to a parallel to how other people feel about the AFC east. It's loathing. And it feels good. I'll take the Cowboys just so I can see combination Coughlin-Manning face on a Deadspin gif before the end of next week.

Phi @ Car(-3.5): Carolina has a football team? Sure I'll take 'em. The Cougars or whatever.

Bal @ Ari(-7.5): This bird battle is sure to be... on TV. Cardinals.

Quetzal

Inspired by Townie (the legendary TOL poster, not the memoir by Andre Dubus III), I'm going to make my picks, except my reasoning is going to be much less sound than his (lines are from CBSSports pick-em leagues on the website, locked in on Tuesdays). All picks are against the spread (also, I have not watched a single minute of NFL coverage this season, and I don't plan on starting now):

Last night: SEA @ SF(+6.5). I had San Francisco because there's a little man in my brain who screams at me if I think Seattle can win by a touchdown.

And for the rest of the weekend:

Buf @ Jac(+4.5): I don't know anything about either one of these teams, other than Rex Ryan exists. This game is on at 9:30am ET? I don't like either of these teams to travel across any ocean, let alone the second largest one, but I'll take the Bills.

NO @ Ind(-4.5): Are these teams from the worst division in their respective conferences? I know whichever one I pick is going to burn me, but just the same I'll go with the Colts.

Pit @ KC(+2.5): Pittsburgh has been winning games without Ben, but who cares? I'll take the Chiefs because I already have two favorites in a row.

Hou @ Mia(-4.5): I'm not going to bother looking up how hot it's going to be in Miami, and that's the only factor that I can comprehend. Texans, because I have only had two cups of coffee this morning, which is as good a reason as any you'd get from Ron Jaworski.

Cle at StL(-4.5): Is Marc Bulger still under center for the Rams? No? I'll take the Browns then.

TB @ Was(-3.5): That's gotta suck, being just outside a field goal dog in Washington. Good thing Tampa Bay has the Rays. Wait. I'll take Bond-villain Dan Snyder.

Oak @ SD(-4.5): Can you imagine these two teams sharing a stadium? :rotfl: Chargers.

Dal @ NYG(-5.5): As a person born in Massachusetts, the NFC east is the closet thing I have to a parallel to how other people feel about the AFC east. It's loathing. And it feels good. I'll take the Cowboys just so I can see combination Coughlin-Manning face on a Deadspin gif before the end of next week.

Phi @ Car(-3.5): Carolina has a football team? Sure I'll take 'em. The Cougars or whatever.

I feel stupid for asking, but what are the +/- numbers?

Caledvwlch

A plus means the team is an underdog, a minus means favorite (don't ask me why). So if I pick a team with a minus, they have to win by at least that much. If I pick a team with a plus, they don't even have to win, they just have to come within that many points of winning.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The team with a minus anything is favored to win by that margin. Plus means to lose by.

Inspired by Townie (the legendary TOL poster, not the memoir by Andre Dubus III),
Some have said I am he. Some say Elijah. :shocked:

I'm going to make my picks, except my reasoning is going to be much less sound than his (lines are from CBSSports pick-em leagues on the website, locked in on Tuesdays). All picks are against the spread (also, I have not watched a single minute of NFL coverage this season, and I don't plan on starting now):
I'm so proud of you I may weep. :eek:

You weren't alone. A lot of money going the other way in that one. I didn't, but a lot did.

The line I had is Buf 4 with the money 57/43 in favor. Bortles is responsible for literally all of the Jaguars' offense. The only good news for Jacksonville is that Buffalo has done a consistently poor job of defending the pass. This one could turn into a shooting match. Rex needs this one and his team is good enough to manage it. I hope. Yeah. Should be. :noid:

The money is with you 63/37, if that's any comfort. So am I. :thumb: I have it as close as a fg or by as much as 11 in my model. The higher end comes up close to the money split so I'm riding this one with you as well.

:chuckle: This is one of those games to be wary of. A slim line tells you that from the jump and the only question is who is that line supposed to draw in? I have this a dead heat and that means I'm taking the Chiefs to win a close one at home.

It's a big line, no doubt about it. Brady at home is 34 and 4 against divisional opponents. The only real question is that line...The Jets are the second stingiest team against the pass. New England is second at moving the ball through the air. But here's where I think you're getting pulled in. Look at the other side of the ballgame. Fitzpatrick has already thrown seven picks and the often overlooked Pats defense is quietly only four points back of the second place Jets.

I think Brady will score against the Jets. I'm less certain Fitz is going to. I say he turns the ball over a few times and this one gets ugly late. I'll take New England (hear that, Granite, I'm PICKING THE PATRIOTS). :chuckle:

A shame they didn't play that one in London...or Siberia. :plain: But don't be surprised if this one ends up close enough to scare you. It's a game Detroit can win.

Horrible game to pick. Miami destroyed Ten last week and Ten is one of the better teams against the pass. Houston had better get into the backfield often because they're below average at defending down field. I'm taking Houston in the upset. Wait...no I'm not. Why would I do that? And where is my coffee. Miami.

I keep waiting for McCown to implode like the journeyman he is...and he keeps taunting me. :noid: Silly McCown, taunts are for kids.

What? Oh, the game. That likely sucks. The Rams cover. Next.

Interesting match up. Like I said, Ten knows how to limit the pass and that's the meat of Atlanta's offense. But the Falcons field more firepower on that end than Ten has seen so far...and Mariota may be dinged. If his mobility isn't what it has to be Atlanta should get in a make up game for the Saints game. Atlanta it is.

An old truism, there are math books with fewer problems than Tampa Bay has...though Washington isn't exactly dusting off the trophy case these days. The money is moving Washington's way 58/42. I have them by six, so I'm as comfortable with this sort of dog of a game as I can be.

I think they should just play half the defense and at least give the fans something to be excited about. Though, honestly, it's hard to tell they aren't if you only watch the scoreboard. TB is giving up around 30 a game and SD what, around 27? :smack: It's going to be a matter of who wants the loss more. And in that department the Raiders are hard to beat. :plain: Chargers.

As a person born without a professional team in his state, let me be the first to shrug that off and take the Giants. :eek: Okay, this is my reach game, since I have the top end at six, but if they can't beat the Cowboys by that with as much as Dallas is missing then it's time to blow the whole thing up and start again.

They have a pretty good football team. And it's the Panzers...I think. Huh. The program guide didn't have it either. Why not? Though I'm going to take the visiting Eagles to pull off the impossible upset. Because I think they can and because there should be at least one of those each week.

I'm not putting any line past Baltimore after last week. The Cardinals need to make a statement and they've been pretty effective at that in Arizona. 34-17

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:chuckles: This is one of those games to be wary of. A slim line tells you that from the jump and the only question is who is that line supposed to draw in? I have this a dead heat and that means I'm taking the Chiefs to win a close one at home.

I'm not sold on Landry Jones, mostly because he was an Oklahoma Sooner QB.

Last Sunday, I think Landry Jones became only the second Oklahoma QB to take a snap in the NFL since "Indian" Jack Jacobs in 1947. I believe the only other OU QB to do so was Sam Bradford.

Quetzal

I wanna play! I am picking without odds because reasons.

Last night: SEA @ SF: I had Seattle. Despite coming off a fantastic few weeks for Colin and the boys, it was only a matter of time before Lynch came back and boy did he. I didn’t think the SF defense had a prayer against the run game and it paid off for me last night.

Buf @ Jac: Let’s talk about Bortles for a minute. He has been looking fantastic over the last week or two, but can he keep it up? Despite his recent successes his offense is only averaging ~19 points a game. His consistency comes into question as well even when faced with a secondary that he could very well light up. BUT! With Tyrod taking a seat this week, will the bills be able to find the end zone themselves? I take the Jaguars at home!

NO @ Ind: Indy’s offense is starting to come together. I look for Luck to fire on all cylinders against a shady secondary from the Saints. Indy by a margin.

Pit @ KC: Even with Big Ben on vacation, Pittsburgh is getting it done. Kanas City’s defense has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese and I do not think Kelce is good enough to offset. Pittsburgh on the road.

NYJ @ NE: Picked up Fitzpatrick on the waiver this week. DON’T LET ME DOWN! If the Jet’s defense can keep up with all of Brady’s weapons, I think the Jets have a shot to put a mark on their perfect record. Jets.

Min @ Det: Stafford simply isn’t good enough and can’t seem to string games together into a solid range of performances. The Vikings take it.

Hou @ Mia: Miami at home. I can only hope J.J. Watt decides to shop for a team that isn’t terrible.

Cle @ StL: Barnidge is looking great and the Rams can’t find the end zone with a map, Browns on the road.

Atl @ Ten: Offensive weapons in Atlanta are going to smash the Titans. Matt Ryan might still be feeling the sting from DC and will be looking to throw. Atlanta by a margin.

TB @ Was: Washington’s offense is just awful. Given that Jackson is probably taking a seat again this week, Reed is banged up and Garcon is relying on a quarterback that couldn’t get a job coaching “The Little Giants”, TB over the Redskins.

Oak @ SD: Short and simple, Rivers will take it to em! Chargers at home.

Dal @ NYG: I like the Giants here if Eli can get his crap together. I think he does it at home over Dallas this week.

Phi @ Car: Sam who? Yeah, this guy also got stuck with Ertz in the draft… I am only a little bit bitter. Panthers take it by at least a touchdown.

Bal @ Ari: Has anyone noticed that Joe Flacco kind looks like “Papa” John Schnatter? Mmm pizza… Arizona at home by a bunch. Palmer is too good right now.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm not sold on Landry Jones, mostly because he was an Oklahoma Sooner QB.
Nothing against him, but there's a reason he's a backup and most of those don't turn into Steve Young.

Last Sunday, I think Landry Jones became only the second Oklahoma QB to take a snap in the NFL since "Indian" Jack Jacobs in 1947. I believe the only other OU QB to do so was Sam Bradford.
And he's not exactly lighting the world afire, is he.

I wanna play! I am picking without odds because reasons.
We all talked it over in private and...how should I put this...

No. :plain: :eek:

Last night: SEA @ SF: I had Seattle. Despite coming off a fantastic few weeks for Colin and the boys, it was only a matter of time before Lynch came back and boy did he. I didn’t think the SF defense had a prayer against the run game and it paid off for me last night.
Yes, yes, we're all amazed at your spot on analysis after the fact. Or as I put it to anna recently...

Spoiler
srcstc.gif

Buf @ Jac: Let’s talk about Bortles for a minute. He has been looking fantastic over the last week or two, but can he keep it up? Despite his recent successes his offense is only averaging ~19 points a game. His consistency comes into question as well even when faced with a secondary that he could very well light up. BUT! With Tyrod taking a seat this week, will the bills be able to find the end zone themselves? I take the Jaguars at home!
Someone has to. The other guy will probably need your help to place the bet.

Pit @ KC: Even with Big Ben on vacation, Pittsburgh is getting it done. Kanas City’s defense has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese and I do not think Kelce is good enough to offset. Pittsburgh on the road.
I'm beginning to waffle a little. The Steelers have a top tier defense and KC really is having trouble stopping anyone. I may flip over to the dark your side on this one before Sunday.

NYJ @ NE: Picked up Fitzpatrick on the waiver this week. DON’T LET ME DOWN! If the Jet’s defense can keep up with all of Brady’s weapons, I think the Jets have a shot to put a mark on their perfect record. Jets.
And this is why I'm against public education. :plain:

Min @ Det: Stafford simply isn’t good enough and can’t seem to string games together into a solid range of performances. The Vikings take it.
It's just a bad team. He needs to find a new home. The kid has talent, but Detroit is a mess.

Cle @ StL: Barnidge is looking great and the Rams can’t find the end zone with a map, Browns on the road.
It's Cleveland...I'm not in yet.

Atl @ Ten: Offensive weapons in Atlanta are going to smash the Titans. Matt Ryan might still be feeling the sting from DC and will be looking to throw. Atlanta by a margin.
By a margin you say. May I quote you. :chuckle: Might anyone? :eek:

TB @ Was: Washington’s offense is just awful. Given that Jackson is probably taking a seat again this week, Reed is banged up and Garcon is relying on a quarterback that couldn’t get a job coaching “The Little Giants”, TB over the Redskins.
It was at this point that the maestro died, laughing.

Phi @ Car: Sam who? Yeah, this guy also got stuck with Ertz in the draft… I am only a little bit bitter. Panthers take it by at least a touchdown.
Likely. I'm still going with Philly though.

I left out a couple we all agreed on because...you know.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well....the AFC East race is over, the Patriots have won it.

The AFC North race is also over, the Bengals have won it.

The AFC West race was over a long time ago, the Broncos won it.

The Colts should still win the AFC Central, but you never know after the way they have been playing lately.

The two AFC Wildcards are the Steeler's and Jet's to lose.

Other than the Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos, the rest of the AFC sucks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Another curious day so far. Cal is dying on the vine. A junk time fg on the desperate chance for a quick late score killed my otherwise solid pick in NE. :mmph: TB pulls off another irritating victory...if only against the spread. The Buffalo game is a disappointment. I don't know what's happening to a team with talent that looked like it wanted to challenge early in the season. At present I'm 5-5, Cale is looking at 3-7 and the kid is leading 6-4 going into the rest of the afternoon.

We all agree on SD and Arz, so that leaves the Philly/Car game to pull me even or put me solidly in second. Go Eagles! :D

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, Granite, your Pats started off the season at a comparatively insane level. Remember when I noted that by my system of overalls a team typically moves into the 30s late?

New England by Week
1. 27
2. 26
3. 28
4. bye
5. 30
6. 30
7. 29

That's hard to maintain, but it's a remarkable year so far.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's official, they should move SD...to Oakland. Give the Raiders that new stadium deal and the good people of Oakland the quality of play they've grown accustomed to. :plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, Granite, your Pats started off the season at a comparatively insane level. Remember when I noted that by my system of overalls a team typically moves into the 30s late?

New England by Week
1. 27
2. 26
3. 28
4. bye
5. 30
6. 30
7. 29

That's hard to maintain, but it's a remarkable year so far.

If they beat the Dolphins on Thursday night the divisional race, such as it is, will be pretty much over. #12 looked pretty darn good out there today given the insane amount of drops.

The Colts are 3-4 and lead their division. Unreal.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If they beat the Dolphins on Thursday night the divisional race, such as it is, will be pretty much over. #12 looked pretty darn good out there today given the insane amount of drops.

The Colts are 3-4 and lead their division. Unreal.

It's a mess. The greater share of the NFL is just playing godawful football right now.

With 18 being an okay team and a playoff caliber team being between around 25, I have eleven teams playing 18 and under with three at 19, or nearly half the league playing low average to worse.

Playoff caliber? Ten teams, with a few on the cusp. Now it's early enough for a few teams to rise solidly or others to falter, but ten truly competitive teams isn't great for the league and why we have so many poor match-ups at this point.

Ugly.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's a mess. The greater share of the NFL is just playing godawful football right now.

With 18 being an okay team and a playoff caliber team being between around 25, I have eleven teams playing 18 and under with three at 19, or nearly half the league playing low average to worse.

Playoff caliber? Ten teams, with a few on the cusp. Now it's early enough for a few teams to rise solidly or others to falter, but ten truly competitive teams isn't great for the league and why we have so many poor match-ups at this point.

Ugly.

It's simplistic to say there's New England, Green Bay, and everyone else...but jeez. Isn't it also true?

Mostly, the quality of play's been mediocre. At best. There are just some ungodly wretched teams out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.