NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
don't kow what you guys are on the subject. just chiming in on football in general. i hate brady cuz they beat the rams in SB. plus the red sox, i don't like boston teams but i respect brady and i'm kinda rooting for the patriots. really, i don't mind who wins, 4 great teams. odds likely favor seattle ? Indy looks awesome right now, Packers look good, (rogers injury), so no matter which way it goes, it should be exciting football. the rams have been out so long, i can just root for any team, no stress. plus they will leave, back to LA. at least they got us a Super Bowl - 2000 - played in another. great memories. the football cardinals never won. good luck to all the folks with teams in the division championships ! God Bless ! -

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you saying Elway should be satisfied with blowouts since he himself got blown out or else he's a hypocrite?

I never used the word "satisfied". Elway has made it clear he won't be satisfied unless the Broncos win a Super Bowl, and that's fine.

Elway is a hypocrite because he didn't put any of the blame on himself or Manning, and is blaming Fox for everything.

Elway has $90 million invested in Manning, and so far all it has gotten him is one more win than Tim Tebow got him for about $85 million less.

If John Fox was able to win a playoff game with Tebow, the problem isn't John Fox, the problem is Peyton Manning.

IOW, John Elway invested $90 million on a QB with a history of choking in the postseason, and now John Elway can't understand why his team has choked in the postseason the last three years.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
it was not a good year for over paid quarterbacks

5 didn't make the playoffs
2 were one and done
2 were two and done

the remaining over paid quarterback will be done this weekend

the super bowl will not have any over paid quarterbacks

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
to be fair
five of the over paid quarterbacks have already won the super bowl
and
one at least made it to the super bowl
but
how do you get to be over paid?
if
you haven't even got there yet

shagster01

No, I just don't like hypocrites.

Why in the world would I hate a team that has lost five Super Bowls?

As a Steeler's fan, I hate other teams that win Super Bowls (Dallas, San Fran, New England, etc)

Is this the early '90s? Denver has won two since either Dallas or SF has won one.

Granite

Hall of Fame
John Elway said one of the reasons John Fox was let go was because the Broncos didn't go out "kicking and screaming" the last two years.

Does someone need to remind Elway that as a QB he lost three Super Bowls by 19, 32, & 45 points?

It's like he's trying to scapegoat Fox as the man makes his way out the door.:baby:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Wilson will be overpaid soon as reports are they are going to make him the highest paid QB this off season.

and
it would be justified
if
wilson wins another super bowl
but
it would be better to focus on the team
if
carroll wants to be another belichick
and
wilson wants to be another brady

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Elway has $90 million invested in Manning, and so far all it has gotten him is...
A Super Bowl appearance Tim wouldn't have given you and division titles Tim would have been unlikely to have given you, at least in this same period.

If John Fox was able to win a playoff game with Tebow, the problem isn't John Fox, the problem is Peyton Manning.
Except he won playoff games with Peyton, went to a Super Bowl with Peyton, won division titles with Peyton. Your bias on this player overwhelms your ability or even apparent desire to be remotely objective in discussing him, which is why you always step around actual game analysis and numbers and cling to a thin, misleading metric and narrative.

IOW, John Elway invested $90 million on a QB with a history of choking in the postseason
Everything past 90 million was pure and objectively demonstrable horsefeathers.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So what's with this Monday Morning Massacre in Denver?

I know Elway wants someone to blame, but I don't think you can lay this all at Fox's feet.

Either that or Fox reasons that Manning's going to retire, and he doesn't want to be left holding the Brock Osweiler bag in Denver with #18 gone.

This franchise looks two seconds away from completely coming undone.
Here's my take and I could be completely wrong.

I think Elway firing Fox has everything to do with keeping Manning.

You don't fire your coach the day after a loss unless you already had that as a contingency plan. Maybe Manning told Elway... "I will stick around a couple more years but we got to find a coach that isn't so afraid to win."

Therefore, Elway and Manning were probably thinking... "If we don't win this year Fox has to go."

My guess is Elway already knows who he wants as head coach.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A Super Bowl appearance Tim wouldn't have given you and division titles Tim would have been unlikely to have given you, at least in this same period.
No one is a bigger Tebow fan than me. But even I am convinced bringing in Manning was the right move. Manning took the struggling Broncos and turned them into a perennial power. He is an incredible leader.

Sure Peyton is slowing down but I would take a 75% healthy Manning over almost every other quarterback in the league.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Here's my take and I could be completely wrong.

I think Elway firing Fox has everything to do with keeping Manning.

You don't fire your coach the day after a loss unless you already had that as a contingency plan. Maybe Manning told Elway... "I will stick around a couple more years but we got to find a coach that isn't so afraid to win."

Therefore, Elway and Manning were probably thinking... "If we don't win this year Fox has to go."

My guess is Elway already knows who he wants as head coach.

That makes sense. Fox is good and consistent but he can also be conservative, too. And Elway already said Peyton's going to be part of the evaluation process on a new coach, so you're probably right his input played a part in Fox getting fired.

But if you want someone out there with fire in the belly, as Elway hinted at, I really wonder who they have in mind. Is there such thing as an angry, fiery coach anymore? Jim Schwartz, I guess, but I can't see him winding up in Denver. I mean, do they seriously think Adam Gase is a better choice than a head coach who's been to two Super Bowls?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But if you want someone out there with fire in the belly, as Elway hinted at, I really wonder who they have in mind. Is there such thing as an angry, fiery coach anymore? Jim Schwartz, I guess, but I can't see him winding up in Denver. I mean, do they seriously think Adam Gase is a better choice than a head coach who's been to two Super Bowls?
Yeah, I'm not really sure who would be a good fit here.

I can see why the organization was frustrated with Fox who seemed to be okay with winning or losing.

But I don't see Kubiak being all that much different. Although with Kubiak you will likely get a more creative offense.

I will give Elway credit, he seems to be able to pull off some pretty big moves. Maybe he will surprise us all.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I'm not really sure who would be a good fit here.

I can see why the organization was frustrated with Fox who seemed to be okay with winning or losing.

But I don't see Kubiak being all that much different. Although with Kubiak you will likely get a more creative offense.

I will give Elway credit, he seems to be able to pull off some pretty big moves. Maybe he will surprise us all.

So far, yes, he's pulled off some major coups. Kubiak, though? I dunno, that doesn't really get the blood pumping.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Also, consider the insane expectations in Denver. Basically, you have one--maybe two--seasons to win a Super Bowl, assuming Manning returns. That's it.

If four divisional titles isn't good enough, literally nothing else other than a ring will be. What kind of coach is prepared to deal with this kind of pressure?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So far, yes, he's pulled off some major coups. Kubiak, though? I dunno, that doesn't really get the blood pumping.
Personally, I agree. I would have been "jazzed" about Kubiak a few year back but now I'm not so sure.

Also, consider the insane expectations in Denver. Basically, you have one--maybe two--seasons to win a Super Bowl, assuming Manning returns. That's it.

If four divisional titles isn't good enough, literally nothing else other than a ring will be. What kind of coach is prepared to deal with this kind of pressure?
I think almost anyone would jump at the chance to coach the Broncos. Great offense, much improved defense, and an organization that wants to win.

Coaches have big egos. I don't think any of them would be scared of the pressure.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

watching this play out is going to be so much fun

Granite

Hall of Fame
Personally, I agree. I would have been "jazzed" about Kubiak a few year back but now I'm not so sure.

I think almost anyone would jump at the chance to coach the Broncos. Great offense, much improved defense, and an organization that wants to win.

Coaches have big egos. I don't think any of them would be scared of the pressure.

I see a couple downsides--one, Peyton is probably gone within one or two seasons, which very likely could mean the coach is out too if Elway blows the joint up and starts from scratch. I dunno...I'd be curious what Elway's long-term post-Manning strategy really is. "Does this outfit have a future?" is a heady question.

Overall, there's a lot to like in the Broncos, but they got some very significant question marks. I see them going boom or real bust next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.