NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Correct.

Montana didn't throw a pick-6 at crunch time in the Super Bowl like Manning did.
Which is why I've put Montana at the undisputed top of my estimation of the position.

As I stated earlier, Manning is now 11-13 in the postseason, and of those 13 losses, his team was favored in 11 of them.
Has nothing to do with anything, as per my previous breakdowns of every game he's played and his overall stats in the post season, compared to others who wear laurels that are no more their own than his cloud is.

At Indy, Manning was surrounded by numerous Pro-Bowlers. He had Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison, Regie Wayne, Dwight Freeney, etc.
That's not surrounded unless you're bad at math. Wayne was a good all purpose back, not a great back. Maybe Roger Craig like in his prime. James was a fine WR, but almost anyone he throws to seems to become that. Take a look. Freeney was very talented. So were a couple of other players. They were like a lesser Kelly Bills' team without the great coaching.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Guys who try to diminish the value of championships :chuckle:
Guys who confuse team performances with individual performances...or, why Barry Sanders is still arguably the second greatest running back of all time. :chuckle:

No miracles, just the Giants hitting their peak at the post-season.
Two word rebuttal: helmet catch.

Two more guys are among the greatest...... to never win a Superbowl. Just like Kelly, Cunnigham, McNabb, Fouts and Tarkenton. They're all great players, HoF material when you consider their careers as a whole but they never raised their team to championship team status.
Kelly and Tarkenton helped their teams get to multiple Super Bowls. If we limit the greatest to that metric then Trent Dilfer tops Dan Marino. :rolleyes: And no one without a serious head injury even suggests Dilfer for consideration in the Hall.

Peyton did it once, props for that but come on, with no ring you've only proved that you played on either mediocre to bad teams or you didn't have the clutch leadership gene to put your team over the top.
He made it twice. And he was arguably even better in the loss than he was when he won the MVP of the first one. As for the quality of the teams he advanced, the year he wasn't under center they were so bad they got Andrew Luck. What was their win total the year before his injury? 10 games, a little off their streak of 12 or better, something he'd led them to for the prior eight seasons, that's a pretty good record.

That team without him? 2-14

So mostly a team thing, which is why his post season individual stats are pretty darn good.

3 Superbowl games and one championship is only slightly less disappointing than 4 SB appearances and no championships.
Yes. I'm sure he would love to have won all of them.

4 rings to 1, TH.
How many HOFers on those SF teams? How many on Peyton's? Likely only a couple of wrs and I wonder why that is...

Winning 4 Super Bowl championships isn't like winning the lottery.
No, it takes tremendous coaching and a great cadre of players. Or a great coach, qb and kicker surrounded by a really solid group of dedicated and exceptionally skilled (if not great, a la Teddy B) players. Only the Steelers and the Niners have managed it within the life of a particular cadre. And Joe could have as easily won the ring Steve managed.

Winning in the playoffs doesn't come down to flukes.
No, it doesn't.

People have found consistent success there, like Montana, Bradshaw and Brady.
Only two of those belong in that sentence. Brady has lost two of his attempts and won the first one by putting up less than 150 yards.

They have great regular season stats as well as championships. Yes there were on good teams, but like a Michael Jordan, they inspired those teams to be better than they should have probably been. You honestly can't say the chemistry between the niner players would have been the same if Manning were at the helm. Thinking you could just change out Montana with Manning diminishes Montana's achievements.
Did Steve Young's win diminish Montana? No, it didn't.

Yes he had great teams and a couple lucky catches go his way but the Giants still won, I wouldn't diminish their achievements just because Eli is lazy in the regular season occasionally.
Eli isn't lazy, he's just not the quarterback his big brother is and there's no shame in that. But he's had better teams and more complete coaching and the result is one more win in the big game than his brother.

People don't take him as serious as they should but there it is.
Most people don't know football, only the talking points that suit their disposition. Same is true with any sport.

Numbers mean nothing if they culminate in constant losing.
That's just wrong. A great hitter on a bad team is still a great hitter. John Stockton is still one of the greatest point guards to ever play the game, with or without a ring. Marino is still one of the greatest without the ring. The reason so many push on Peyton is, I think, because he is so obviously great and has, compared to that greatness, less to show for it than feels right. But that's the way it is sometimes. The way it was for Barkley in basketball.

I grew up in Tennessee and I've been a fan of the Vols all my life basically. I watched Manning's career and rooted for him constantly. I always want the best for him but that doesn't change that fact that he doesn't get the job done when it counts the most and that affects a legacy.
I thought he was a smart college player on a decent team in the strongest conference. A lot of good players and some great NFL players never got a college championship. Again, that's a team and not an individual accomplishment. I did think he should have won the Heisman over Woodson, but that's life for you.

Montana, Bradshaw, Brady are all far ahead of him in legacy when it comes to QBs.
Now you're just nuts or novice. No one puts Bradshaw ahead of Manning...except maybe Bradshaw. :) When they polled the HOF quarterbacks a couple of years ago everyone except Montana had Peyton as a better quarterback than Brady (and this was after Brady's three rings). And Montana liked them both. Bradshaw was a home run hitter in the post season, but his defense won the first ring, much like Brady's first ring was on the foot of his kicker.

Montana is simply the best I've seen. But I wouldn't feel cheated or worried if I had Peyton or Brady under center on those teams of his.

Big Ben and Eli are ahead of him too.
No, they really aren't except by the deceptive singular metric confusing team with individuals. I think Ben is underrated by the public, but I'd take Brees ahead of him and Brady and Peyton ahead of Brees. Eli...I wouldn't be surprised if he misses out on the Hall absent either significant improvement in the regular season or another trip and solid performance in the SB.

You can't diminish wins and championships to make stats seem more important when it comes to legacy.
Rather, you can't diminish who and what Barry Sanders was because he didn't play for great teams or have a great coach. Peyton overcame some of that because his greatness was at the most important position on the team and he out did Elway and Marino, by taking a weaker team to the dance and winning with it, supra.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As great as Manning is (was?), he is very old now by NFL QB standards (he turns 39 on March 24). It seems some folks don't understand that all athletes decline significantly in their mid-to-late 30's? Pro football, like all professional sports, is a "young man's" game. It's quite possible that Manning may never play again.
Some make it longer. Favre, Moon, Vinny. It's rare but so were these guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton hits forty under center. I'd be even less surprised if Brady manages it.

The Berean

I'm not sure why only QB's get rated so much on the number of championships they won? We don't do this with wide receivers, running backs, linebackers, defensive ends, etc. When people talk about the greatest running backs the number of titles they won is basically never mentioned. Jim Brown only won one NFL title. Barry Sanders didn't win any. Of the top 10 all time career rushers only Smith won multiple NFL titles. Would anyone ever argue that Emmit Smith was better than Brown and Sanders because he won more NFL titles?

The Berean

Some make it longer. Favre, Moon, Vinny. It's rare but so were these guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton hits forty under center. I'd be even less surprised if Brady manages it.

Don't forget Mark Brunell! :p It is rare and there is no guarantee that Manning will play in the NFL at age 40. I hope he does keep playing because he is such a historic player. But the body can only take some much punishment. I'd rather he retire a bit early and not take needless punishment. But that is Manning's call.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It is rare and there is no guarantee that Manning will play in the NFL at age 40. I hope he does keep playing because he is such a historic player. But the body can only take some much punishment.
Agreed. It's hard for me to see him go out limping (either). I'd bet with a little time he decides to make the last run. And with the discovery of a running game, a good offensive line and the opportunity for the team to get better, why not?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Manning/Brady Post season

Comp %: 64/62
avg per: 7.5/6.8
Rating: 88.5/88

This quad fiasco stats brought Brady closer on the rating and lowered Manning a bit in general. But he's still throwing longer, more accurately and at a higher average. It was a larger difference going into this playoff season.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think that if that's a literal application of the rule the rule needs to be changed. He had clear possession of the ball prior to reaching as he's falling forward, an attempt to stretch his possession to the goal line. A shame to see it end like that.
Agreed. That may have been an accurate application but if so then I think the rule should change. As a couple said, if you asked 100 people at the bar if it was a catch they'd overwhelmingly say yes. :chuckle:

Really can't stand Sherman and the general arrogance of that Seattle group. I'll be rooting mightily for the Packers.
Agreed again.

:cheers:

Granite

Hall of Fame
So what's with this Monday Morning Massacre in Denver?

I know Elway wants someone to blame, but I don't think you can lay this all at Fox's feet.

Either that or Fox reasons that Manning's going to retire, and he doesn't want to be left holding the Brock Osweiler bag in Denver with #18 gone.

This franchise looks two seconds away from completely coming undone.

Caledvwlch

Elway thinks the Broncos are supposed to win the Super Bowl every year.

He better be careful, or he's going to turn into a Dan Snyder.

He's got a long way to go before he gets into Snyder territory.

This is the exception to the rule that coaches with good quarterbacks don't get fired. Well, sort of. I guess they're trying to push the "mutual decision" angle. So maybe it wasn't a firing.

Maybe Fox and Elway just can't stand each other or something. You ever have a boss that just makes your skin crawl, no matter how competent they are?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
it is all about the man

get a new coach
if
you don't like the one you have

get a new team
if
you don't like the one you have

renegotiate your contract
if
you are not the highest paid quarterback