Status
Not open for further replies.

Cexistur

Hi! I'm Cexistur, and I'm new to TOL.

Unlike what seems to be most of you, I am a liberal atheist. However, I am not here to insult, I am here to debate. I feel that the word "debate" has been twisted from it's original meaning into something that some think of as malicious. However, this really is not the case.

Anyways, hi. :rapture:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Hi! I'm Cexistur, and I'm new to TOL.

Unlike what seems to be most of you, I am a liberal atheist.
To hear the far right you'd think the place was almost entirely filled with Red Guard expats. There are a large number of left leaners and moderates forced into the left camp by the lack of designation (yours truly). The power structure is fairly conservative, but if you take the time to get to know them and familiarize yourself with the place you might find it as addictive as I do.

There are a number of atheists and agnostics who participate regularly and cordially enough and are well regarded by the faithful. And we have a few Buddhists, Muslims and a semi Hindu if you listen to freelight. :chuckle: We also get our fair share of Dawkins wannabes from time to time. They arrive with a rather predictable sneer and are normally sent packing in tears or while engaging in near Tourrette's level flame outs. The last fellow of the first sort styled himself Atheist PhD...seriously, he did that and expected to last a week.

However, I am not here to insult, I am here to debate.
There's no shortage of that to be found, along with general discussion and good natured or not so mockery, depending on the subject/object. A thick skin and sense of humor are lifelines around here.

I feel that the word "debate" has been twisted from it's original meaning into something that some think of as malicious. However, this really is not the case.
Depends on the practice, I suppose.

Anyways, hi. :devil:
Fixed that for you. :D

Bienvenidos! :e4e:

Newman

Does your atheism inspire your liberal political leaning? Or did your liberal political leaning push you into atheism? Neither? Both?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Does your atheism inspire your liberal political leaning? Or did your liberal political leaning push you into atheism? Neither? Both?

I would like to think there is a connection there
but
over half of Catholics voted for Obama
and
well over half our bishops are so liberal it is hard to respect them

Cexistur

Hi there.

How did you find us?

I googled "Theology forums"

Am pleased to note you will be generous in your non-belief. ;)

Welcome aboard!

AMR

Indeed.

Neither, really. I was raised as a conservative Catholic, and as I approached teenage years I began reading more about theism, atheism, deism, agnosticism etc etc, and slowly my views changed. Since then I've adapted them a bit as I grow older, but both my political and theistic views don't have much impact on each other. I'm an advocate for separation of church and state, so I also attempt to keep them separate.

The Berean

I would like to think there is a connection there
but
over half of Catholics voted for Obama
and
well over half our bishops are so liberal it is hard to respect them

See chrysostom! If even most Catholics don't vote Republican why should you expect the rest of us to do so?!!

Oh, and welcome to TOL, Cexistur. :e4e:

Newman

Neither, really. I was raised as a conservative Catholic, and as I approached teenage years I began reading more about theism, atheism, deism, agnosticism etc etc, and slowly my views changed. Since then I've adapted them a bit as I grow older, but both my political and theistic views don't have much impact on each other. I'm an advocate for separation of church and state, so I also attempt to keep them separate.

Surely they are connected in a very fundamental way, based on your views of the nature of man and man's proper relationship to other men. I use "men" in the neuter sense, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.