New Here Already Complaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatkat

You obviously caught rTb when he was "in need" of getting hiiiiiiiigh. (he get's testy when he's "in need").

Normally the TOL welcoming committee consists of an atheist known as Granite, but he must be out checking his trust fund account.

Welcome to TOL.

Thanks. He did have a bit of a stoner look about him.

Before I posted I perused the rest of the forum and noticed the pattern demonstrated again for me here which amounts to...

:mock: <insert user comment threatening the beliefs of another>

The good thing is logic can spank such childishness and I'm wetting my lips to lay down some palm flesh on those cheeks and warm up someone's life and sense of pride. I guess I'll fit right in, huh?

The silliness of Open Theology looks like a good first target ;)

AFAIK (so far) it includes the idea that God is not omniscient? Is there anyone who can argue such a position? I'll have to go to the appropriate thread...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thanks. He did have a bit of a stoner look about him.
It's a long running joke, though he's made a place here while holding a fairly minority position in about every sense of the word. So that's saying something. Now ASCon...ASCon suffers from a spiritual Napoleonic complex. :plain:

Before I posted I perused the rest of the forum and noticed the pattern demonstrated again for me here which amounts to...

:mock: <insert user comment threatening the beliefs of another>
Oh, good old fashioned mockery has its place in TOL, without question. But there's a great deal of friendly disagreement, general discussion and genial humor to be had as well here.

The good thing is logic can spank such childishness and I'm wetting my lips to lay down some palm flesh on those cheeks and warm up someone's life and sense of pride. I guess I'll fit right in, huh?
You're fitting into a category, which isn't the same thing, exactly. When people walk in complaining and telling us how much smarter or ready they are before they've demonstrated it...doesn't tend to turn out well. As a rule, if you're clever your content will set that out and the best at being that rarely feel or have the need to voice it. Of course, there's the occasional McEnroe...but that's rare.

The silliness of Open Theology looks like a good first target ;)

AFAIK (so far) it includes the idea that God is not omniscient. Is there anyone who can argue such a position? I'll have to go to the appropriate thread...
I don't find a limited God or Calvinist perspective of micro management to be on point, but good luck wading in with either crowd. They've been to the circus and had their faces painted. Chances are they're ready for you.

Enjoy. :D

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
I wish!

Not sure where you got your "stats" but trust me when I tell you that's not even close to accurate. Maybe it's an estimate based on our traffic but since we are a theology site our ads dramatically under perform cell phone ring-tone and car insurance ads. :)

You could save money if you had cheaper ads. Even if they were about silly things like ring tones.

fatkat

It's a long running joke, though he's made a place here while holding a fairly minority position in about every sense of the word. So that's saying something. Now ASCon...ASCon suffers from a spiritual Napoleonic complex. :plain:

Oh, good old fashioned mockery has its place in TOL, without question. But there's a great deal of friendly disagreement, general discussion and genial humor to be had as well here.

You're fitting into a category, which isn't the same thing, exactly. When people walk in complaining and telling us how much smarter or ready they are before they've demonstrated it...doesn't tend to turn out well. As a rule, if you're clever your content will set that out and the best at being that rarely feel or have the need to voice it. Of course, there's the occasional McEnroe...but that's rare.

I don't find a limited God or Calvinist perspective of micro management to be on point, but good luck wading in with either crowd. They've been to the circus and had their faces painted. Chances are they're ready for you.

Enjoy. :D

I agree - advertising one's abilities rather than demonstrating them usually indicates incompetence.

I do believe you will find me up to the task. I simply happen to have a certain youthful arrogance.

Here's where my beliefs are now - is there anyone who shares them on TO [the L is superfluous]? I came here to find out if there was a good reason to change any of these beliefs or if they should rather be reinforced by the like minded.

1) The universe is billions of years old
2) The genesis account of creation is literally true and does not contradict 1
3) God sees the entire history of the universe - past, present, and future all at once (the future has already happened :cheers:)
4) Salvation cannot be lost - to be saved one must only confess that Jesus is Lord with their mouth and believe God raised Him from the dead in their heart.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I agree - advertising one's abilities rather than demonstrating them usually indicates incompetence.

I do believe you will find me up to the task. I simply happen to have a certain youthful arrogance.

I can't wait to see your links

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Apparently there are a lot of basic functions that are locked out to new users and just maybe there is some kind of pay scale to unlock features?

That's so completely lame - PHPBB is free - I guess they need to make money somehow. HO HUM SIGH
This is a vBulletin site, not PhpBB.

Locking out features for newbees is a wise move as it incentivizes one to remain an active participant, and eliminates the fickle passer-by. It also prevents the interloper from spamming too much before they are identified and dealt with.

Why muzzle the ox treading out the corn, as it were? :squint:

BTW, you are a fatkat Christian, so paying a small fee for subscription access to all the features should not be an issue, no? ;) See the "Why?" link in my sig below to dig into the topic more fully.

AMR

fatkat

Locking out features for newbees is a wise move as it incentivizes one to remain an active participant, and eliminated the fickle passer-by. It also prevents the interloper from spamming too much before they are identified and dealt with.

BTW, you are a fatkat Christian, so paying a small fee for subscription access to all the features should not be an issue, no? ;)

AMR

Good point that it is vBulletin - if you go back to my second post, I do identify it as vBulletin. It's just phpbb can do the same for free (just sayin' - there is only a one-time approx. $280 difference in the cost regardless).

The site admins should most definitely make money. Also I understand limiting new users to minimize spammers so I officially withdraw my complaint since I didn't realize new users get some features back after a probation period.

Also fatkat has more to do with my immense girth and paradoxical feline like agility ;) I like you.

rexlunae

Hey, Guess what. I am a web developer. I know it doesn't cost money to access basic features!

So am I. You must only be involved with small, low-traffic sites. Bandwidth costs real money, especially if you want it to be at all reliable.

Some of the features kick in with time and participation, as an incentive to contribute. I'd suggest that you do this, but so far you don't appear to be up to it.

Sorry you had to get butt hurt because I'm smarter than you lols

You know what would be smart? Say something interesting. Or original. Or at least something that isn't likely to get you banned.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
1) The universe is billions of years old
2) The genesis account of creation is literally true and does not contradict 1
The nature of my conversion has left me mostly disinterested in that question, but I'd be interested in your reconciliation of points usually held as existing in differing camps.

3) God sees the entire history of the universe - past, present, and future all at once (the future has already happened :cheers:)
Been beating that drum for a while to great and general disinterest. :chuckle: I think it takes the confusion out of the election quandary and reorients the notion of will.

4) Salvation cannot be lost - to be saved one must only confess that Jesus is Lord with their mouth and believe God raised Him from the dead in their heart.
OSAS has a decent following here, though I've been having a round and round with a Catholic friend of mine on the topic.

Now then, a much better way to say hello to your new neighbors.

Welcome. :e4e:

fatkat

So am I. You must only be involved with small, low-traffic sites. Bandwidth costs real money, especially if you want it to be at all reliable.

Some of the features kick in with time and participation, as an incentive to contribute. I'd suggest that you do this, but so far you don't appear to be up to it.

You know what would be smart? Say something interesting. Or original. Or at least something that isn't likely to get you banned.

Nope. www.juniorscheesecake.com - several thousand orders a day during peak season.

I mentioned bandwidth before. You can get enough bandwidth for this site for just a couple [to a few] hundred a month. I doubt the throughput is more than 1.5 mb a second up.

Interesting statement: Titan has methane seas.

Original statement: My latest video game prototype is going to include physics and I found this awesome library sylvester.js that does matrix and vector math without having to mess with arrays.

Unlikely to get banned for statement: I like turtles.

rexlunae

I wonder how many atheists around here would be saved by this standard. I'm one.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned

Locking out features for newbees is a wise move as it incentivizes one to remain an active participant, and eliminates the fickle passer-by. It also prevents the interloper from spamming too much before they are identified and dealt with.

BTW, you are a fatkat Christian, so paying a small fee for subscription access to all the features should not be an issue, no? ;) See the "Why?" link in my sig below to dig into the topic more fully.

AMR

You thought I was just a passer-by flicking spam-bot rabbit-trailing Oatmeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.