NC official storms out during Muslim prayer:I dont need no Arab telling me what to do

Granite

Hall of Fame
I believe private businesses can ban fire arms.

The fact they have to is part of the problem.

If you want to call some one a hypocrite you need to catch the same person saying different things about identical situations.

Well I haven't singled anybody out, but I have pointed to two very different responses to groups of people openly carrying firearms.

So, California in 1967 does not equal "white conservative America" today.

Wasn't my point at all. You seem to be going after something I didn't actually say.

I think they might be, they're both sticking it to the man by displaying their arms.

I'm sure the TP and Panthers--or whatever might still remain of militant black activism in this country after their leaders all got shot or arrested--would be surprised to hear about their shared solidarity.

Do you have any evidence that the Open Carry groups are racist?

I think the overlap between neo-Confederism, rhetoric, and dog whistling speaks for itself.

More gun sales, perhaps you're in the wrong business?

Are you playing stupid?

fool

Hall of Fame
The fact they have to is part of the problem.
That's America.

Well I haven't singled anybody out, but I have pointed to two very different responses to groups of people openly carrying firearms.
Mostly negative on both counts?

Wasn't my point at all. You seem to be going after something I didn't actually say.
You're comparing the Panthers with the Open Carriers.
What are you saying?
Are they both right or are they both wrong?

I'm sure the TP and Panthers--or whatever might still remain of militant black activism in this country after their leaders all got shot or arrested--would be surprised to here about their shared solidarity.
Do you think the Open Carriers are bearing arms against their fellow citizens? Or to thumb their noses at their oppressive government?

I think the overlap between neo-Confederism, rhetoric, and dog whistling speaks for itself.
Every Venn diagram has a center that doesn't include all of every circle in it.
You're a gun owner, would you like it if people started referring to you as a "Tea Party, Open Carry, Oath Keeper, NeoConfederate, Dog Whistling, Duck Calling, Lion Killing, Mass Shooter Lookin For a Place to Happen" just because you share one common trait with (perceived) catagories?

Are you playing stupid?
I jest, but point of fact is that Ferguson seems to have no problem with demonstrations until night falls then all hell breaks loose, Oath Keepers and Open Carriers not even involved.
What's your solution for a mob trying to burn down your business with you in it?

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's America.

And having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Mostly negative on both counts?

Mostly negative in one case, I'd say.

You're comparing the Panthers with the Open Carriers.
What are you saying?

More than that I was comparing the use of the same tactic and the very different reactions they elicited.

Are they both right or are they both wrong?

I'd say the Panthers were probably onto something more than the Open Carriers are.

Do you think the Open Carriers are bearing arms against their fellow citizens? Or to thumb their noses at their oppressive government?

To be blunt I think the open carry crowd's a bigger threat to the private ownership of firearms than the government. I think they're mostly a pack of angry, squinty, gutty jerks. I think they're macho strutting sphincters, for the most part. And I think if ever confronted with an actual threat they'd wind up doing more damage than anything else.

You're a gun owner, would you like it if people started referring to you as a "Tea Party, Open Carry, Oath Keeper, NeoConfederate, Dog Whistling, Duck Calling, Lion Killing, Mass Shooter Lookin For a Place to Happen" just because you share one common trait with (perceived) catagories?

It'd be good for a chuckle, anyway.:chuckle:

I jest, but point of fact is that Ferguson seems to have no problem with demonstrations until night falls then all hell breaks loose, Oath Keepers and Open Carriers not even involved.

They made themselves involved by showing up.

What's your solution for a mob trying to burn down your business with you in it?

To be clear, that's not why the Oath Keepers showed up.

fool

Hall of Fame
And having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.
Agreed, but that's just our opinions.

Mostly negative in one case, I'd say.
There's plenty of negative feelings about the Open Carriers.
Just look a little harder.

More than that I was comparing the use of the same tactic and the very different reactions they elicited.
So, again, which was the correct reaction?

I'd say the Panthers were probably onto something more than the Open Carriers are.
Two groups doing the same thing and you have different opinions about them?
What's this thread about again?

To be blunt I think the open carry crowd's a bigger threat to the private ownership of firearms than the government.
How so?
They're gonna open carry until the Gov says they can't?
So then it's their fault? and not the Gov's?
That's the stuff of conspiracy theories right there and come to think of it not bad at all.
The Gov wants to outlaw firearms.
The Gov sends agents to open carry and cause a ruckus.
Then.
They outlaw open carry in response to the "threat".

I think they're mostly a pack of angry, squinty, gutty jerks.
Well that's certainly an opinion.

I think they're macho strutting sphincters, for the most part.
That's two opinions, you know you could have just used commas and rolled those two sentences together like so;
"I think they're mostly a pack of angry, squinty, gutty, macho strutting sphincter jerks, for the most part."
Just sayin.

And I think if ever confronted with an actual threat they'd wind up doing more damage than anything else.
Or peeing themselves.
Which makes them no better or worse than anybody else.

It'd be good for a chuckle, anyway.:chuckle:
But not too funny.

They made themselves involved by showing up.
Which is what volunteers do.

To be clear, that's not why the Oath Keepers showed up.
Why did they show up?

Tinark

Most Christians will dispute that Christians and Muslims worship the same God... and I agree.

Islam seems to have elevated Baal as their one true god... it has very different characteristics from the Jewish/Christian God.

By that logic, different Christian demoninations worship different Gods since they all have different characteristics.

Granite

Hall of Fame
There's plenty of negative feelings about the Open Carriers.
Just look a little harder.

Sure, but it's not like the backlash has changed much, if anything.

So, again, which was the correct reaction?

I'm not sure if there is a "correct" one. Once citizens are walking around with guns, regardless of the reason, it seems clear that something's gone wrong somewhere.

Two groups doing the same thing and you have different opinions about them?

Open carry is the only real similarity between the two--a tactic used by extremely different groups with very different goals.

What's this thread about again?

Search me.

I think their recklessness has a real possibility of creating incidents that lead to backlash even the NRA can't withstand. Or maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Which is what volunteers do.

Whether they're helping or not.

HisServant

By that logic, different Christian demoninations worship different Gods since they all have different characteristics.

Most only quibble about small points of doctrine. And yes, people like the mormons, SDA, Jehovah's Witnesses all worship a god of their own creation... just like the Muslims.

HisServant

I don't think they were deliberately attempting to foment ill will. It seems to me they were attempting to instill pride in the Black Community? As so often happens with new logistics, it did cause alarm in some circles. But some people did come to see the justice of their cause.
As for the legality of walking around armed?
I don't know.

Since they have been preaching 'kill whitey' since the day they were formed, I don't think it had anything to do with pride... it had to do with intimidation.

MarcATL

I don't think they were deliberately attempting to foment ill will. It seems to me they were attempting to instill pride in the Black Community? As so often happens with new logistics, it did cause alarm in some circles. But some people did come to see the justice of their cause.
As for the legality of walking around armed?
I don't know.
Your own answer sums it up.

The Black Panthers were not fermenting ill will. Period. End of story. The question then is, where and/or why was there ill will to begin with? I'll let you ponder on that.

As to the legality of the open carry, no, it wasn't illegal

bybee

Wilfully ignorant?

Sort of. I had a friend who would cover her ears when the conversation went into areas which were problematic for her.
One of the definitions of naïve is "foolishly credulous".
Those who do not quest for truth may be foolishly credulous.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian asks:
I would say that denying Jesus is God, is a large point of doctrine. Do you think Jews don't worship the same God we do?

Yes.. but they don't acknowledge Jesus.

Muslims are like that, too.

And God has cursed them for it.

Even if that were true, it doesn't mean that they worship a different God.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Barbarian asks:
I would say that denying Jesus is God, is a large point of doctrine. Do you think Jews don't worship the same God we do?

Muslims are like that, too.
Even if that were true, it doesn't mean that they worship a different God.

The Christian Theological "Party Line" is that Christianity is the completion or further revelation of Judaism whereas Islam is a heresy or even apostasy (depending how you look at it) of Judaism.

Just sayin' :plain:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Arabs are proud racists. Just ask them. They put Billybob to shame. Most of you don't know any different if you have not held a residency visa in an Arab state.

"We are better than you because I am Arab". Being arab stretches across international boundaries for them. Just like islam.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The Christian Theological "Party Line" is that Christianity is the completion or further revelation of Judaism whereas Islam is a heresy or even apostasy (depending how you look at it) of Judaism.

I get that, but of course that doesn't concern the fact that they worship the same God as Jews and Christians. Being a heretic isn't about worshiping another God.

"Apostate" would be rejecting the God of Abraham, which they do not.

Tinark

Arabs are proud racists. Just ask them. They put Billybob to shame. Most of you don't know any different if you have not held a residency visa in an Arab state.

"We are better than you because I am Arab". Being arab stretches across international boundaries for them. Just like islam.

Put down the World Nut Daily and the Rush Limbaugh and enter back into the world of sanity.