NC official storms out during Muslim prayer:I dont need no Arab telling me what to do

Tinark

e Lincoln County Board of Commissioners had always opened government meetings with Christian prayer. About two months ago, officials decided that in order to avoid legal trouble, they’d have to let everyone participate.

That didn’t last long.

On Monday, commission chairman Carrol Mitchem, who had previously announced he wouldn’t “bow to minorities” and that he “ain’t gonna have no new religion or pray to Allah” at board meetings, held true to his word and walked out on the first person to address the North Carolina government meeting with a Muslim prayer, the Lincoln Times-News reports.

“I don’t believe we need to be bowing to the minorities,” Mitchem had told WBTV. “The U.S. and the Constitution were founded on Christianity. This is what the majority of people believe in, and it’s what I’m standing up for.”

The issue came up after nearby Rowan County was ordered by a federal judge to stop opening public meetings with sectarian prayer because it violated the Constitution.

“I don’t need no Arab or Muslim or whoever telling me what to do or us here in the county what to do about praying. If they don’t like it, stay the hell away,” Mitchem had responded. “We’re fighting Muslims every day. I’m not saying they’re all bad. They believe in a different God than I do. If that’s what they want to do, that’s fine. But, they don’t need to be telling us, as Christians, what we need to be doing. They don’t need to be rubbing our faces in it.”

Ironically, this guy is anti-American and doesn't even realize it:

“If you don’t believe the rights of the minority are equal to the rights of the majority, then you are against what America stands for,” Hough told the Charlotte Observer. “That’s why we live in a democratic republic.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/nc-...er-i-dont-need-no-arab-telling-me-what-to-do/

shagster01

“I don’t need no Arab or Muslim or whoever telling me what to do or us here in the county what to do about praying. If they don’t like it, stay the hell away,” Mitchem had responded. “We’re fighting Muslims every day. I’m not saying they’re all bad. They believe in a different God than I do. If that’s what they want to do, that’s fine. But, they don’t need to be telling us, as Christians, what we need to be doing. They don’t need to be rubbing our faces in it.”

That is exactly what I think about all religions.

HisServant

Call to order.

Roll Call..

Pledge of Allegiance..

On to the business of the public... get all the business done that requires paid hourly consultants (solicitor and engineer) done first and dismiss them to save money.

That is how I run my borough council meetings.

It would seem stupid to me to have the tax payers pay the bill for the consultants to endure some rambling prayer (be it Christian or Muslim or both)... not going to happen on my watch!

In the same vein, since the tax payers are paying the bills for some people present, I would think the supreme court would determine that a prayer of any kind would be unconstitutional.

Last edited:

PopeFrancieLXIX

NC official storms out during Muslim prayer:I dont need no Arab telling me wh...

NC official storms out during Muslim prayer:I dont need no Arab telling me wh...

Basic principle of "you reap what you sow"

In order to reap respect and openness to one's views, one must sow in like manner. Being respectful doesn't mean one must convert, but being rude isn't winning any Jesus points...

Jose Fly

This is being cited around the internet as a very good example of Christian privilege in government.

Previously town councils like this one would only open with Christian prayers. No one from any other religion was ever invited to give their own prayer. But then a court ruling mandated that the government can't play favorites like that, and if they're going to open with a prayer, they have to open that up to people from other faiths.

And after the very first time a non-Christian gave a non-Christian opening prayer, the council immediately voted to end the practice of opening prayers altogether. So basically they said, "If it can't be Christians only, then we're not doing it at all".

A perfect example of Christian privilege.

HisServant

They're not interested in a seat at the table, they want the only seat.

I think it has more to do with tradition than actual Christianity... humans are stubbornly habitual and tend to hate even minor changes.

Heck, I changed the order of the agenda last month and the borough secretary gave me grief... she said they had been doing it a certain way for the last 25 years and it didn't need changing.

Anyhow, I kept it changed, much to her dismay.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think it has more to do with tradition than actual Christianity... humans are stubbornly habitual and tend to hate even minor changes.

Heck, I changed the order of the agenda last month and the borough secretary gave me grief... she said they had been doing it a certain way for the last 25 years and it didn't need changing.

Anyhow, I kept it changed, much to her dismay.

Eh, that may be. But pluralism is a concept a lot of your brethren aren't really crazy about.

zoo22

This is being cited around the internet as a very good example of Christian privilege in government.

Previously town councils like this one would only open with Christian prayers. No one from any other religion was ever invited to give their own prayer. But then a court ruling mandated that the government can't play favorites like that, and if they're going to open with a prayer, they have to open that up to people from other faiths.

And after the very first time a non-Christian gave a non-Christian opening prayer, the council immediately voted to end the practice of opening prayers altogether. So basically they said, "If it can't be Christians only, then we're not doing it at all".

A perfect example of Christian privilege.

You mean a perfect example of Christian persecution.

OH WOE the persecuted Christians!

I think it's part of the LIEberal's war on Christmas, spilling over into summer town hall meetings. Next thing you know, some atheist is going to want to put up an atheist billboard.

Last edited:

Nazaroo

Direct result of Muslim immigration.

Ironically, Islam is the religion of Satan, prophesied in Revelation.

HisServant

Eh, that may be. But pluralism is a concept a lot of your brethren aren't really crazy about.

Where I live is dominated mostly by Lutherans and Mennonites... I could never see them agreeing on a type of prayer in any way shape or form... ever.

Both traditions have problems with forgiveness and tend to hold grudges too... its almost a full time job for me getting them to keep their ego's in check and keep their eyes on doing what is best for the public.

Christian Liberty

Call to order.

Roll Call..

Pledge of Allegiance..

On to the business of the public... get all the business done that requires paid hourly consultants (solicitor and engineer) done first and dismiss them to save money.

That is how I run my borough council meetings.

It would seem stupid to me to have the tax payers pay the bill for the consultants to endure some rambling prayer (be it Christian or Muslim or both)... not going to happen on my watch!

In the same vein, since the tax payers are paying the bills for some people present, I would think the supreme court would determine that a prayer of any kind would be unconstitutional.

How about we cut out the pledge of allegiance instead?

Separation of church and state in the modern version is stupid and prayers to the true God should always be encouraged. Prayer to false gods shouldn't be allowed on public property.

HisServant

Separation of church and state in the modern version is stupid and prayers to the true God should always be encouraged. Prayer to false gods shouldn't be allowed on public property.

All the pledge of allegiance does in this meetings is remind people that they are there to do their work under the guidance of the constitution... and what it stands for.

And I think it should always be mandatory, if you are a citizen and refuse to say the pledge, you should be shipped out.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

How about people who don't wish to participate just stand quietly by with their traps shut?

Separation of church and state in the modern version is stupid and prayers to the true God should always be encouraged.

Why again do you use the word "liberty" in your username rather than *privilege*?

Prayer to false gods shouldn't be allowed on public property.

Those who are willing to suppress the free speech of others should just move to a country where freedom of speech and religion are not allowed.