ECT Nang's Boastful Lie

Jedidiah

I think he absolutely would have. If nothing else, Paul surely would have told the elders to share the Gospel with the offender -- such was the chief ambassador's heart for the lost. That's why I refuse the common interpretation that the guy fornicating his mother was unsaved, as many legalists assume he just HAD to have been.

However, do I think Paul wondered if that guy (and possibly others) was a believer? Yes, I do. Such is the nature of salvation by grace through faith without works as definite proof we're saved, or lack of works as definite proof we're not (again, legalist interpretations notwithstanding).

So had Paul KNOWN he was lost, imo there is NO WAY he would have prescribed the severe remedy he did, in the hopes of restoring the man. You can't restore someone who is lost. They need saved first.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I'm just talking room to doubt, which I don't know if any of us can avoid doing in such a situation.

Still, our response is to be the same no matter what: no fellowship as long as the behavior continues.
Paul was jealous for the Body though, and he emphasized the unleavened nature of the faith and of the faith's transforming power in our lives, and he demanded unleavened behavior and unleavened teaching in the New Testament church communities. I agree with you, for what it's worth, that Paul would evangelize our hypothetical, known unbeliever, and that he would expel him from the church community in the meantime.

If the fornicator (KJV) you mentioned wanted to rejoin the Corinthian church community, do you think that he could do so through repenting of his fornication (KJV), or do you think he would have to show where he had previously misunderstood or not believed Paul's Gospel ?

Doom

Our belief and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. I don't tell my unsaved neighbor I'm better than he is. I tell him that all men come short of the glory of God. He can see that for himself....it's why the world hates those "holier than thou" people who claim to be better than they are. You, for one, Nang.
Beautifully stated. You made my day. Is there still time to get this in for Post of the Year?

:BRAVO:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Christ is our standard now,

I agree Christ is our moral standard of righteousness.

not the Law to which the believer has died in Him.

Three questions:

If the Law is not the moral standard of God, why was the Son of God sent Incarnate to fulfill all that Law?

Where does the bible say the Law "died in Him?" Does not the bible teach that the moral Law has been engraved on Christian hearts, through Him and His imputed righteousness?

And lastly, how do you think the moral character of Jesus Christ differs from His own moral Law? What differentiation is there between Christ and His Word?

musterion

I agree Christ is our moral standard of righteousness.

Good.

Three questions:

If the Law is not the moral standard of God, why was the Son of God sent Incarnate to fulfill all that Law?

If Christ fulfilled the Law on our behalf, why did He die? What was there left for Him to die for?

Where does the bible say the Law "died in Him?"

You've got that 180° backwards. The believer has died to the Law.

And lastly, how do you think the moral character of Jesus Christ differs from His own moral Law? What differentiation is there between Christ and His Word?

I know only what the Bible says: the Law was given to damn us, to TELL us we're damned, and point us to Christ. That was its sole purpose, and once one is "in Christ," and has died with and in Him, the Law has no more place in their new life. If you'd like to put it this way I don't see the harm: Christ Himself is the new Law written on our hearts. But the old Law, holy as it was, is not for us anymore.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Our belief and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. I don't tell my unsaved neighbor I'm better than he is. I tell him that all men come short of the glory of God. He can see that for himself....it's why the world hates those "holier than thou" people who claim to be better than they are. You, for one, Nang.

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

1Pe 2:11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
1Pe 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
1Pe 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
1Pe 2:14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
1Pe 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

Doom

Doom, what is that avatar? I can't make it out.

peterlikphantom1.jpg

It is a photo by Peter Lik

Nang

TOL Subscriber
If Christ fulfilled the Law on our behalf, why did He die? What was there left for Him to die for?

Christ fulfilled all he Law in His life. In His death, He suffered God's wrath and judgment against our sins and hell in our stead. He died our death (including the "second" death) so that we might stand justified and pardoned on Judgment Day.

You've got that 180° backwards. The believer has died to the Law.

Sorry. Thought you referred to "Him." The believer has died to the condemnation and guilt of the Law. Romans 8:1 However the law of sin remains in our earthly members (nature) until we resurrect to glory.

I know only what the Bible says: the Law was given to damn us, to TELL us we're damned, and point us to Christ. That was its sole purpose, and once one is "in Christ," and has died with and in Him, the Law has no more place in their new life.

I really do not argue this, but Reformers believe and teach there are 3 purposes or divine "uses" of the Law of God.

1. To convict all men of their moral failures and to draw them to their need of the Savior.
2. To restrain worldly wickedness.
3. To guide Believers in their life and walk of faith.